• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

psorcerer

Banned
In case anybody wondered how much memory is needed with VT/PRT for 4K frame buffer. To all the "16GB is too small" crowd.
With virtual texturing, a single 256 MB texture atlas should be enough (to hold all texture data) for a modern PBR pipeline at 4K.

Stuart360

0.2-0.4 ghz increase means nothing. less than nothing
0.4ghz i dont agree. A 3.6ghz to 3.2ghz cpu would have a bigger difference than say a 1tf gpu difference. I have been overclocking cpu's for years and that would have a noticeable performance difference in cpu related tasks. Even a 0.2ghz difference would have an effect, albeit minor. 0.4ghz is like 'Turbo' mode in stock cpu's.

can this guy be trusted?

UQG65rE.png

its crazy to think 12 tflops of rdna right?
No because they’ve said NAVI since the reveal of project scarlet and NAVI is RDNA. It would have been VEGA otherwise.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran
Did some math on modern GPU ray-tracing limits.
The GDDR raw latency (no cache) is about 300ns per write (AFAIR it's almost the same for all GDDRx).
Which gives us around 70GB/sec bandwidth for full random access.
At 1920x1080x30fps we get to 237Mb per frame, i.e. ~300 writes per pixel.
Which can be bottle-necked by ~20Grays/sec
Obviously if we divide between primary and secondary rays as 60/40 we can get to 50Grays (primary rays will be kinda "free") and if 80/20 it's 100Grays
So I will say with current GDDR memory 100Grays is probably the theoretical maximum.
Which is not bad for 1080p@30 = 1600samples per pixel but it's only 200 samples for 4k@60...

Aceofspades

Banned
0.4ghz i dont agree. A 3.6ghz to 3.2ghz cpu would have a bigger difference than say a 1tf gpu difference. I have been overclocking cpu's for years and that would have a noticeable performance difference in cpu related tasks. Even a 0.2ghz difference would have an effect, albeit minor. 0.4ghz is like 'Turbo' mode in stock cpu's.

Oh realllly, I wonder why you think that 🤣. To me I think SSD can be the bigger differentiator next gen.

Stuart360

Oh realllly, I wonder why you think that 🤣. To me I think SSD can be the bigger differentiator next gen.
Oh jesus, why dont you tell me then.
As a PC GAMER, if i had to buy a new PC and i had only 2 options to pick from - 3.6ghz Zen 2/ 12tf Navi vs a 3.2ghz Zen 2/ 13tf Navi, i'd pcik the first option every time.
Its got nothing to do with pathetic console wars, so please dont include me in that shit, i'm sick of that shit as it is.

DJ12

if you click on the Tweet you can see the full picture. There's a Navi 21 Lite. And this would to certain extent support some (Not all) of the assertions that PS5 and/or Series X are using an RDNA2 gpu.

RDNA 2 being the next level of AMD's architecture. Finding support or an engineering sample for Navi 21 before the next gen consoles get official is very interesting to say the least.
This is interesting, with the date written as 13.02.2.0, maybe PS5 has RDNA 2 then, while xbox has "next gen" RDNA (I guess you'd call that RDNA 1.5).

Just tell me one thing, did your source tell you anything about the amount of Memory in PS5? will it be higher than 16GB? ;))

16gb is the minimun If its gddr6 type.
But I Heard Sony want to surprise on memory in the Last minute Just like they did on PS4, so It could be something better than gddr6.

Unfortunetly, that IS the everything I can share here regarding memory. Sony is treating It as their top secret "source", so It remains a Mystery and no insider can give you a more concrete answer to this. If they do so, they are lying. Simples as that.

DJ12

True, but then no games have taken anywhere close to full advantage of them. The consoles will have games designed around them from the ground up.
Don't forget these won't be just off the shelf Samsung NVME drives, they will have propriety controller and be specifically optimised for games, rather than general use as PC drives.
And its not your typical SSD either
Any truth in the rumour than one is (~twice as) fast(er) and the one in the other? (even the slow one is rumoured to be fast enough)

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

bitbydeath

Don't forget these won't be just off the shelf Samsung NVME drives, they will have propriety controller and be specifically optimised for games, rather than general use as PC drives.

Any truth in the rumour than one is (~twice as) fast(er) and the one in the other? (even the slow one is rumoured to be fast enough)

The video posted earlier mentioned Sea of Thieves to load in about 3-5 seconds (including internet connection time) where on the fastest PC SSD it took 23 seconds. (Excluding internet connection time)

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Hilarious stuff going on in here with the Sony equilevant of mistexmedia or whatever his name was. So someone with no previous track record suddenly appears and knows everything about the ps5 , even its flagship launch game. Lol.......

You realise they mentioned it before we knew about Godfall right? The specs too.

DJ12

so ... AMD would screw Microsoft for the love of Sony ?
Bruh...
Why would it be screwing with them. We know both worked with and separately on the GPUs and if insiders are to be believed one has better ray tracing hardware.

So we already know they aren't the same.

AMD give both what they ask for and pay for screwing either side over doesn't come into it.

It's not like ps4s GPU was way better than Xbox one just because amd liked Sony more is it.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Ok guys, who wrote that . The scenario is ultra funny.

Sony planned that...MS did that...so Sony put that!! GTFO of such BS 🤣
Real life is a constant resource for humor, so I can totally see this scenario happening in real lIfe, and especially when both MS and Sony compete against each other.

VFXVeteran

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran
Did some math on modern GPU ray-tracing limits.
The GDDR raw latency (no cache) is about 300ns per write (AFAIR it's almost the same for all GDDRx).
Which gives us around 70GB/sec bandwidth for full random access.
At 1920x1080x30fps we get to 237Mb per frame, i.e. ~300 writes per pixel.
Which can be bottle-necked by ~20Grays/sec
Obviously if we divide between primary and secondary rays as 60/40 we can get to 50Grays (primary rays will be kinda "free") and if 80/20 it's 100Grays
So I will say with current GDDR memory 100Grays is probably the theoretical maximum.
Which is not bad for 1080p@30 = 1600samples per pixel but it's only 200 samples for 4k@60...

Excellent analysis! Thanks man!

The difference won’t be noticeable. Xbox more CPU, Sony more GPU it’s a wash.
We have no proof of this as of yet.
Why would it be screwing with them. We know both worked with and separately on the GPUs and if insiders are to be believed one has better ray tracing hardware.

So we already know they aren't the same.

AMD give both what they ask for and pay for screwing either side over doesn't come into it.

It's not like ps4s GPU was way better than Xbox one just because amd liked Sony more is it.
AMD is obliged to present what they have, its up to the client to choose what they want and expand on that choice (customization), now why would Ms pick 1.5rdna and leave 2.0rdna to Sony, to me it makes no sense.
Now for what you said about xbox one vs ps4, they bundled kinect and needed to cut price on other components ...

AMD is obliged to present what they have, its up to the client to choose what they want and expand on that choice (customization), now why would Ms pick 1.5rdna and leave 2.0rdna to Sony, to me it makes no sense.
Now for what you said about xbox one vs ps4, they bundled kinect and needed to cut price on other components ...
Nevermind these guys, they think we are in the Xbox one/ps4 time period. The rumors by that pseudo insider are so ridiculous, go post them in a technical forum and see what happens.

44alltheway

again... I just find it so hard to believe that Microsoft is going to sell to less powerful consoles.... Especially with the "insiders" hinting that ps5 will also have a better RAM compared to series x (I still think is a pretty bad name, so annoying!). Is there an expectation that Sony will try to sell at 599$?

DJ12

Haven't you answered your own question?

Maybe Sony were willing to pay more.

And we have all heard the story that almost the entire Radeon team were pulled off the discrete GPU design to work with Sony on the ps5 chip.

Maybe and couldn't offer rdna 2 to ms as it elements that were designed by Sony.

This isn't to say it is rdna 2 I was just liking the date in the specific format to the leaked driver information.

But theres plenty of reasons why both could have different GPU technology and none of them are because amd love Sony and hate ms.

again... I just find it so hard to believe that Microsoft is going to sell to less powerful consoles.... Especially with the "insiders" hinting that ps5 will also have a better RAM compared to series x (I still think is a pretty bad name, so annoying!). Is there an expectation that Sony will try to sell at 599$?

I dare to say 599 is way more unlikely than 399.

DJ12

Sony's gpu advantahe would not be that signifant.

If I were You guys I would be more hyped about the memory aspect. They are giving it a more special treatment than anything and they are more willing to sell ps5 at a loss mostly because of it
So the date refers to hbm2 then lol.

The GPUs are different as ray tracing is rumoured to be better on ps5. I guess this could be due to the rumoured higher clock speed though.

Sony's gpu advantahe would not be that signifant.

If I were You guys I would be more hyped about the memory aspect. They are giving it a more special treatment than anything and they are more willing to sell ps5 at a loss mostly because of it
I do understand that you target some people who like to dream and stuff, but for others (like me) your vague statements aka (it's f... nothing) comments are irrelevant.

THE:MILKMAN

Sony are on record saying they want people to transition over to PS5 faster than ever before. Which logically means selling PS5 faster. PS4 sold through ~18 million in the first year? PS5 won't get anywhere close to that at $599 or even $499 IMO. Especially with much stronger competition this time round.

Unless they give an unbelievable price/specs deal no one can resist....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom