• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilms

Banned

Y9aMQlm.jpg

ENrij8G.jpg

BDnSEAr.jpg

1HVFrTx.jpg

PmewX63.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys study how the memory markets work? I'm asking because HBM and Blu-Ray are not the same scenarios, at all. Blu-Ray was always intended as a consumer market technology, and developed chiefly with that in mind. HBM is a memory technology chiefly designed with big data markets in mind, whose overall pool of clients is magnitudes smaller, but are able to pay a premium for a technological advantage. It's just also so happened to find its way into (very few) consumer products, mainly as testbeds to gauge performance vs. costs tradeoffs.

If there were magnitudes of advantage for HBM technology over GDDR, we would be seeing HBM deployed in mass-market numbers for consumer devices by now. It has already seen use in a few consumer GPU cards and NUC devices from Intel, but apparently hasn't done as well as expected. It's not that the technology is bad: it does have a few advantages over GDDR. But it also has disadvantages in comparison to GDDR as well, and only one of those accounts for pricing difference.

HBM will likely not become mainstream until several years from now, at which point breakthroughs in other technologies like 3D DRAM, MRAM etc. could render it more palatable for consumer markets. But still, it's probably a few years away, and if development of tech like STT-MRAM advances by magnitudes in the meantime, it could make widespread use of HBM-type memory limited (since STT-MRAM would also have the non-volitality of NAND plus the lower latencies of DRAM. Scaling for larger capacities is one of its biggest challenges atm).

Which thread was that? I know there's a thread talking about PS5 using ReRAM, but just as a very fast storage cache.

TBH that could still happen; it wouldn't replace main memory at all (not fast enough, not enough bandwidth, higher latency chief reasons), but 64-128GB of something like ReRAM or Optane-type PCM memory as a cache between DRAM and SSD storage is still somewhat possible, and would be a pretty sizable deal for any system in terms of performance.

Guess we'll see as more details on the systems are revealed, though.

Nevertheless, BD was really expensive at the beginning. Everything about BD was damn expensive, that's why Sony wanted to push it through PS3 and beat the HD DVD.

About ReRAM, i'm pretty sure also that Sony would like to push it to. Read/write data speeds are astonishing.

9271_4_ps5-ssd-use-optane-reram-cache-supercharge-speeds_full.png

I believe It Will have that huge V Shape with a led forming the V when powered on, much similar to the leaked devkit
You heard it here first folks, if what he said comes out to be true, then hes the real deal BUT a a a aaa, Mark Cerny himself didnt saw what the PS4 would look like when he made that keynote in february, he saw the final design at the same time as the public at e3.
I find it hard to believe you atm, and i dont like the dev kit aswell.

You heard it here first folks, if what he said comes out to be true, then hes the real deal BUT a a a aaa, Mark Cerny himself didnt saw what the PS4 would look like when he made that keynote in february, he saw the final design at the same time as the public at e3.
I find it hard to believe you atm, and i dont like the dev kit aswell.

You're Going the treat everything I say as secret info?

I also like to speculate for fun.

This has nothing to do with the infos I recieved a week Ago. Its Just my speculation based on what I understsand from Sony's philosophy after having a tight relationships with them years Ago.

xool

I'm predicting liquid cooling for the Xbox Chonky - single radiator on the back, fan on top expells (sucks) air through the radiator and the box..

(Not unlike the Corsair One, but cheaper)

Tsaki

3.6 vs 3.2 GHz is a 12.5% difference, but:

D_c33PfU8AIg8GA.png:large

Woudn't one more year of 7nm process maturity (or the use of TSMC's 7NP) move this curve more to the right so they can get higher clocks (like 3.6GHz) without hitting exponential power consumption? (Of course this would be foundry-wide so both Sony and MS would gain from it.)

Let's go back to what we actually know - no rumors here:

Xbox Series X:

- Has a custom Zen 2 based CPU, 8 cores/16 threads, unknown clock;
- Has a NAVI 2.0 based GPU (HW RT), double the XBox One X performance;
- Has a SSD, interface and speeds unknown
- Controller has a new SHARE button

PlayStation 5:

- Has a custom Zen 2 based CPU, 8 cores/16 threads, unknown clock;
- Has a NAVI 2.0 based GPU (HW RT), unknown performance;
- Has a SSD, interface and speeds unknown, although Mark Cerny said speeds were higher than any piece available on PCs at the time
- Controller has haptic feedback and improved triggers

That's about it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So :

XSX - 460 cubic inches
Xbox One OG - 438 cubic inches
Xbox One X - 266 cubic inches
PS4 Pro - 311 cubic inches
PS4 slim - 180 cubic inches

XSX is huuuuuge. :D
What did anyone expect when trying to cool such a big apu and ram with out breaking the bank in volumes in the millions. Volume was an easy answer to fit a big old cooling system in there and keep it silent 1 big fan at low rpms. I fully expect these to blow the last generation out of the water thermal output wise.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I understsand him. Some people are impatient, they dont like waiting for something they are so curious about. Thats ok.
Just as impatient as you guys are coming on forums to spill inside info. Most of you are hungry for attention. Only a tiny fraction genuinely want the masses to know beforehand and be excited.

Edit: And it goes without saying that most of you are fake attention seekers.

Last edited:
Just as impatient as you guys are coming on forums to spill inside info. Most of you are hungry for attention. Only a tiny fraction genuinely want the masses to know beforehand and be excited.

Edit: And it goes without saying that most of you are fake attention seekers.

Im not seeking attentions, my friend. Believing in me or not is a matter of choice only

Also according to TSMC N7+ (7nm+/EUV) has -15% power consumption at the same performance. That's not enough for a 12+ TF machine in a console. Unless MS and Sony are ok with a 250W+ machine.

Guys there is a good reason why sony hasn't spoken about memory in PS5 yet unlike MS. Trust me.
Also the most ordinary employee in huge companies like Ubi or EA knows about the target specs for both Prospero and Anaconda.

THE:MILKMAN

Also according to TSMC N7+ (7nm+/EUV) has -15% power consumption at the same performance. That's not enough for a 12+ TF machine in a console. Unless MS and Sony are ok with a 250W+ machine.

Its looking for sure it is 12TF Navi, Insane Metal, which means the console very likely will use >250W. Unless these chips are so cut down they fall foul of the trade descriptions act....
Guys there is a good reason why sony hasn't spoken about memory in PS5 yet unlike MS. Trust me.
Also the most ordinary employee in huge companies like Ubi or EA knows about the target specs for both Prospero and Anaconda.

Here is the thing though, Tommy. I agree all the devs would have had the documentation that tells them what RAM the console has and how much, Along with all the other specs (see NEO/PS4 Pro dev document below for an example). So why hasn't this info leaked yet? It is really unusual!

ps4-neo-specs-1.png

Its looking for sure it is 12TF Navi, Insane Metal, which means the console very likely will use >250W. Unless these chips are so cut down they fall foul of the trade descriptions act....

Here is the thing though, Tommy. I agree all the devs would have had the documentation that tells them what RAM the console has and how much, Along with all the other specs (see NEO/PS4 Pro dev document below for an example). So why hasn't this info leaked yet? It is really unusual!

ps4-neo-specs-1.png
NDA. This time with the most emphasis to date.

Guys, have you watched NXgamer video in regards to xbox SX? He suggest xbox SX can be 60CUs monster with around 350w TDP and much higher price than people expect. He also has said powerful console like that can make PC gaming less appealing.
I mean, if that thing is really 12TF RDNA it won't be anything less than 300W indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom