• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

They are basically dodging ray-tracking in Navi questions putting the roadmap on front...
Makes me think they'll include RT soon after PS5 launch or right alongside it.
If this is easy to moderately difficult to implement, AMD would have no problem adding it to own cards.
But if it is not, how come Sony/Microsoft could do it so quickly?
Maybe they licensed imgtech RT?
You are talking about a hypothetical PS5 GPU that’s presumably more powerful than the 225 Watt RX 5700 they just announced, but only consuming 150W.
I covered this in my previous post:
The first Navi products are low CU counts variants, pushing clocks too far for a performance target thus hitting diminishing returns.
You can get better perf/watt results with more CUs clocked lower. Another point of contention is 1 year from now 7nm yields will allow for better clocks or decreased voltages to reach current clocks

LordOfChaos

Which part are you referring too. I must have missed it

Reporter: Can we say anything about Renoir [a rumored APU combining Zen 2 technology and Vega GPU cores]? There have been reports that the project is dead.

Su: That is not true. It is doing well.

Drew Prairie, AMD spokesman: We might want to start with, we don’t know what Renoir is.

SonGoku

His was after hers, which was weird. Maybe SuBae spilled beans she wasn't supposed to.
I don't get it, what so interesting about a Vega APU? what's the implication here?

Reporter (who arrived late): David, what are your thoughts about ray tracing in mainstream graphics?
Wang: We’ll talk more about it in June.
Su: Ten days.
McAfee: We’ll give you a good full update on the tech day.
I wasn't expecting a full disclosure on rt that soon.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Renoir has anything to do with the next Xbox.

It simply takes time to move a GPU architecture from dGPU to APU. That's what's going on here IMO.

Navi isn't even a released dGPU yet and will take time before it finds itself in APU form and then inside consoles.

Renoir is probalby just the step before that, but ultimately unrelated to consoles.

CyberPanda

Banned
Screen-Shot-2019-05-29-at-1-05-38-AM.png

molly14

I’ve always been stunned by Sony’s first party games graphically.I still think Driveclub looks amazing more especially the astonishing lighting model and the incredible real-time weather in the game.

Best looking racing game I have ever played on any system ,to me anyway.

And that’s on an 1.8 TF machine.

I can’t imagine what games are going to look like on PS5 ,but eyes are going melt,that’s for sure.

Can’t wait!

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned

Google translate:
According to the original plan, PS5 seems to have been Vega, and that's why it's Navi 10 “LITE”.

AMD mentioned "highly specific Sony customisations" they never mentioned anything regarding Navi being Lite or not. quite the opposite actually, The moment they started talking Navi, first thing they said was "PlayStation"
"Lite" could mean heavily customized rather than standard.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Absolutely! Although, in all fairness, while Driveclub is a great looking game, it doesn't stand up to GTS, FM or FH. That said, I'd love to see a new Driveclub for the PS5.

I know... I prefer it to the others... :). Sad for it never to have received a Pro patch with a high resolution IQ improving mode at all... between the dynamic global lighting and weather it is still unmatched for me...

ANIMAL1975

Absolutely! Although, in all fairness, while Driveclub is a great looking game, it doesn't stand up to GTS, FM or FH. That said, I'd love to see a new Driveclub for the PS5.
I know... I prefer it to the others... :). Sad for it never to have received a Pro patch with a high resolution IQ improving mode at all... between the dynamic global lighting and weather it is still unmatched for me...
No new motorstorm, in this or next generation, is wat really hurts to me...

SonGoku

Didn't Cerny mention 8Gb of HBM2 (+ whatever RAM)?
no lol
edit: the working theory on reera is that Sonys initial plans were for 2019 Vega + HBM2 hence the reddit rumor.
I don't believe a 2019 launch was ever on the cards, there'll be no games at launch.
you might be thinking of the reddit rumor
Interesting, they are likely working on a couple of PS4 games.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
All is quiet in MS camp.
They are preparing to release the Kraken on the console gaming world this E3......In essence; 20TF, Zen3, 48gb ram..... Phil comes on stage dressed as Thor, slams the mic/hammer, then exits stage......The crowd loses it..... Dealer gaming, Brad Sams, Jez, Klobrille rushes on stage past security and do the MS-Executive-Onstage-Dance. gif........ DF writes a swooning article 1 second later, no hyena laughs here.....

Ar¢tos

They are preparing to release the Kraken on the console gaming world this E3......In essence; 20TF, Zen3, 48gb ram..... Phil comes on stage dressed as Thor, slams the mic/hammer, then exits stage......The crowd loses it..... Dealer gaming, Brad Sams, Jez, Klobrille rushes on stage past security and do the MS-Executive-Onstage-Dance. gif........ DF writes a swooning article 1 second later, no hyena laughs here.....
Nope.
Thor = white, powerful straight male
Worst E3 ever.
Phil needs to walk on stage wearing a shirt red dress and high heels or the SJW will destroy him.

Stuart360

Man it would be amazing if all that actually happened, just because i know how much pain it would cause you.

ethomaz

Banned

Google translate:
According to the original plan, PS5 seems to have been Vega, and that's why it's Navi 10 “LITE”.

That makes no sense at all.

If he means the devkits then obvious before their tape out Navi’s APU they were using Zen + Vega.

But now it clear the APU is ample are already tapped with Zen 2 + Navi.

Navi Lite probably means they removed the silicon of features not used by console and games.

Last edited:

Munki

Funny you mentioned that... just watched endgame last week and Thor's character assassination was obnoxious, i have no doubs a sjw agenda had their hand on it.

IMO, what they have done to the Hulk in the MCU is more offensive.

SonGoku

IMO, what they have done to the Hulk in the MCU is more offensive.
lol i liked that though would have preferred if he had violent battle scenes in addition to the science stuff
And thats my last endgame comment, don't wanna derail the thread.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
It would make kinda sense for ps5 and xbox to go vega since it seems vega has better yields. i hope its not true though.
im kinda confused by the conversations here where does it say ps5 or nexbox will have vega?

SonGoku

It would make kinda sense for ps5 and xbox to go vega since it seems vega has better yields. i hope its not true though.
im kinda confused by the conversations here where does it say ps5 or nexbox will have vega?
Its just rumor speculation don't give it any importance
Sounds like bs imo

thelastword

Banned
Man it would be amazing if all that actually happened, just because i know how much pain it would cause you.
So you believe? ........ Tbh, I would buy this console.... I would just need confirmation that they would be bringing great exclusives for such powerful kit..... I mean, I'm not going to play the specs I'm I? So if all they have to go with it is Forza, Halo, Gears, then maybe not......

SonGoku

So you believe? ........ Tbh, I would buy this console.... I would just need confirmation that they would be bringing great exclusives for such powerful kit..... I mean, I'm not going to play the specs I'm I? So if all they have to go with it is Forza, Halo, Gears, then maybe not......
With those specs it would outperform even the highest end PC, so best multiplatforms

thelastword

Banned
With those specs it would outperform even the highest end PC, so best multiplatforms
Yes, but usually multiplats don't often show off the system's true capabilities...... Yet you may be right as it relates to an MS console...... I think multiplats are the best looking games on recent Xbox consoles.... I'm not sure their first parties are really capable of pushing this hypothetical console or as I'd like to put it..... "Phil's Hammer"......

Fake

AMD mentioned "highly specific Sony customisations" they never mentioned anything regarding Navi being Lite or not. quite the opposite actually, The moment they started talking Navi, first thing they said was "PlayStation"
"Lite" could mean heavily customized rather than standard.
Of course. If they really watch the AMD press none of the Navi PC GPU will have RT, unlike PS5.
So, make sense the custom side. A custom Navi with 3D audio and hardware RT.

Reactions: TLZ

midouglas

Neo Member
Before the Storm

I do feel MS are planning something BIG. Letting Sony have their moment since Cerny's Wired article materialised suggests they are quietly confident, that or they are bricking it. But, Sony have clearly played their hand first in advance of E3; maybe they are anticipating something BIG from MS?

ethomaz

Banned
I believe MS is afraid of the situation that happened in 2013.
While MS announced and give some little details about PS5... they at the same time did hold most of the key aspect putting pressure in MS.

Remember MS key point at E3 last year was that they will have the strongest next-gen machine... it is a bold claim made before they have no ideia of what Sony and even their next-gen console will reach in terms of power but they want that to hold true.

The issue is... Sony is playing chess... to be fair Sony did a series of moves that ended putting MS in checker... one mistake or wrong move and they will be done so they need to play safe and make sure they will archive their goals without any surprise from the competition.

But I believe Sony is holding it strongest cards (moves) for late.

If that SSD tech is really proprietary (and AMD said it is) and it turn out being a game changer then MS won't have anything to conter that except the "we have the strongest machine" card but that is not a good situation to be.

Why X turned out so good and the example of a console machine? Because MS waited a year to see all Sony cards being released (Pro) and so they could work in something better but I'm afraid they didn't have that option anymore and playing/working at the same time never give any advantage do MS... the opposite Sony always take the lead in hardware design.

Of course I'm a pro PlayStation so maybe some pro Xbox guy can have another point of view believing (again) MS will finally win a generation (lol)... for me MS goals and ideias for gaming is everything I avoided in all my gaming life, it is a path I don't want the industry to move, so I hope MS fails again like usual.

Last edited:

Stuart360

People need to read upon how big business works. They will both know pretty much what each other is doing hardware wise, especially when its the same company providing the tech. Ever wondered why when some company brings out some brand new product, there are other companies bringing their versions out within a couple of months?, well it takes more than a couple of months to design, R&D, andmanufacturer a new product.
Phil said in at least 3 seperate interviews last E3 (even on stage if i remember right) that they will never lose the power advantage again. So without some VERY last minute changes, you have to think at this moment in time that the next Xbox will be more powerful than PS5.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I believe MS is afraid of the situation that happened in 2013.
While MS announced and give some little details about PS5... they at the same time did hold most of the key aspect putting pressure in MS.

Remember MS key point at E3 last year was that they will have the strongest next-gen machine... it is a bold claim made before they have no ideia of what Sony and even their next-gen console will reach in terms of power but they want that to hold true.

The issue is... Sony is playing chess... to be fair Sony did a series of moves that ended putting MS in checker... one mistake or wrong move and they will be done so they need to play safe and make sure they will archive their goals without any surprise from the competition.

But I believe Sony is holding it strongest cards (moves) for late.

If that SSD tech is really proprietary (and AMD said it is) and it turn out being a game changer then MS won't have anything to conter that except the "we have the strongest machine" card but that is not a good situation to be.

Why X turned out so good and the example of a console machine? Because MS waited a year to see all Sony cards being released (Pro) and so they could work in something better but I'm afraid they didn't have that option anymore and playing/working at the same time never give any advantage do MS... the opposite Sony always take the lead in hardware design.

Of course I'm a pro PlayStation so maybe some pro Xbox guy can have another point of view believing (again) MS will finally win a generation (lol)... for me MS goals and ideias for gaming is everything I avoided in all my gaming life, it is a path I don't want the industry to move, so I hope MS fails again like usual.

To be honest with you I don't even think Microsoft will have the more powerful console. I think they'll try to paint it tht way maybe due to some diff architecture if it's Vega and not Navi but I don't think it will be.

Microsoft counter focus to whatever secret sauce Sony has is their xcloud and it's implementation and broad reach. They'll be focused on that heavily.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
People need to read upon how big business works. They will both know pretty much what each other is doing hardware wise, especially when its the same company providing the tech. Ever wondered why when some company brings out some brand new product, there are other companies bringing their versions out within a couple of months?, well it takes more than a couple of months to design, R&D, andmanufacturer a new product.
Phil said in at least 3 seperate interviews last E3 (even on stage if i remember right) that they will never lose the power advantage again. So without some VERY last minute changes, you have to think at this moment in time that the next Xbox will be more powerful than PS5.
They know at certain extend... MS and Sony knows the general hardware of each other is working but the key features, clocks, etc they did not know because it is not finished in both cases.

Just like MS did not know about 8GB GDDR5 PS4 until Sony reveled it.

For PS5 I'm sure MS knows there is some behind PS5 tech that increases the usability of SSDs in games but to how extend it is a game changer and how it is really works they did not know.... even devs are starting to make tests with these new feature of PS5.

And I believe Sony is holding more surprises.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They know at certain extend... MS and Sony knows the general hardware of each other is working but the key features, clocks, etc they did not know because it is not finished in both cases.

Just like MS did not know about 8GB GDDR5 PS4 until Sony reveled it.

For PS5 I'm sure MS knows there is some behind PS5 tech that increases the usability of SSDs in games but to how extend it is a game changer and how it is really works they did not know.
Yeah people keep saying that, but is there any quotes or articles about them not knowing?, i mean Xbox itself had 8gb of ram. Having said that, apparently ram amounts is one of the few things that they can change relatively 'last minute' without causing too many problems.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Microsoft says alot of shit and huffs and puffs but disappoints as well. Only Xbox fans care about what Phil says in regards to power advantage but other ppl in the real world know some of these hardware specs are well guarded and only an idiot can make claims like that. It's like Kinect being the future of gaming and all those fake, doctored videos, or kinect not being removable from base Xbox one because of os, or the cloud adding all this power to Xbox One and making it Uber powerful. Most, if not all claims made by execs at one point or another and all fell flat. CD3 latest tales of grandeur and ended up being shit.

Is it possible Microsoft will have stronger hardware? Yes, it is, but it's also possible Sony will have the more powerful console. Pr talk and hype is just that. Mess around Microsoft goes Vega and Sony Navi and their both very close power wise or both go Navi.

As if Sony is just going to say "pack it up guys Microsoft said they gonna beat us in power, it's a wrap lol" 😂😂😂😂 This is a game of chess Sony has been winnng in for awhile.

I believe in Cerny more than anyone on Micros team bet that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah people keep saying that, but is there any quotes or articles about them not knowing?, i mean Xbox itself had 8gb of ram. Having said that, apparently ram amounts is one of the few things that they can change relatively 'last minute' without causing too many problems.
MS will never say that to any article :D

But they know they were weaker in hardware raw power but beat they will have better performance due having 4GB more RAM but they eat that in a surprising way... until February 2013 MS had certain (and confirmed by devs) that they will have the performance lead due double the RAM to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom