• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe but the one they’ve shown is code named Scarlett.

So unless there’s going to be three of them either Lockhart or Anaconda is no longer.
Even if Lockhart doesn't exists (ignoring all the evidences from MS) the console model to be launched next year has a internal codename (probably Anaconda?) while Scarlett continue being their Next-Gen Project codename.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Ummm. Project Scarlet is the code name for their next gen project, and there are two SKUs under that umbrella:

Lockhart
Anaconda

It used to be said that Project Scarlett was the Umbrella and within that umbrella were multiple SKU’s code named Anaconda and Lockhart.

Now it appears as per that tweet Scarlett is both the project and the SKU code name.

CyberPanda

Banned
It used to be said that Project Scarlett was the Umbrella and within that umbrella were multiple SKU’s code named Anaconda and Lockhart.

Now it appears as per that tweet Scarlett is both the project and the SKU code name.
Nothing has changed. Scarlett is still Anaconda and Lockhart.

LordOfChaos

For people who think it will be 24 tflops (y)

If you let me back I'll be here. Back to Scarlett... you mentioned it has four times the power of Xbox One X, which certainly sounds good. But what does that mean?

Matt Booty: It's a few things - it's the combination of speed, not just of the SSD but of the processor, the performance of the GPU and RAM, but we're also in a world where speed is starting not to matter. You can make RAM faster either by speeding up the way you access it or by adding more access points. Just think, what are all the things right now which take you out of a game? You're playing then suddenly *bloop* a load screen pops up and drops you out. Our goal is to get rid of those things, that's what we're after.

What do you think about the state of the industry right now? When you look around, who's here, who's not, what trends are you seeing in the industry?

4X faster includes RAM access points that prevent things from going bloop?

Wat...That sounds like some PS3 era Sony Magic Math.

Clearly no way in hell the GPU is 4x from X though.

Evilms

Banned
D8ucA2_XoAQADaK.jpg:large

ethomaz

Banned
Power consumption has always been a defect at amd, I hope for their sake that the price and performance will be adequate to compensate.
The issue here is for the next-gen consoles :(

While TBP includes the GPU, RAM, board, etc... even if you left only the GPU chip you will have something not giving much space for a CPU, RAM, board of the consoles.

And consoles should stay below 200W.

Let's wait real tests... maybe that TBP is the limit/max.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I wonder if they're Vega'ing this one again, pushing it too far past its optimal point with nvidia performance as a target, when a slight step back has a big decrease in power like Vega. The Vega chips in 35W in the Macbook Pros were actually pretty good per watt, it's just that they were compared to higher wattage Nvidia parts.

Also back to hoping for some exotic cooling to push more watts this generation of consoles lol. Since it's only in active use it's not a big impact on energy use. I don't really care if they push 250W or more if it can do it quietly.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
TDP (thermal design power) =/= TBP (total board power)

I think it will be :

180W TDP (225W TBP)
150W TDP (180W TBP)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You know the drill gang, watch party in 44 minutes

In it for #SuBae

Reactions: TLZ

llien

The issue here is for the next-gen consoles :(

While TBP includes the GPU, RAM, board, etc... even if you left only the GPU chip you will have something not giving much space for a CPU, RAM, board of the consoles.

And consoles should stay below 200W.

Let's wait real tests... maybe that TBP is the limit/max.

VII can go to like half power consumption, losing about 10% of perf.

225w isn't bad to begin with, in fact, it's closing the gap vs how much VII consumes vs competition.

TLZ

Banned
- full backward compatibility between all generations
- four times more powerful than the Xbox One X
- can go up to 8K resolution
- can go up to 120FPS
- Ray Tracing compatible
- Halo Infinite at launch
- SSD, GDDR6

All this is good but not surprising after the PS5, and not even a little bit of gameplay of halo infinite halo, I'm disappointed.

This is where we see that Sony has once again cut the ground under Microsoft's feet by taking the lead last April.
I understand. I'm also happy they've confirmed Navi and zen 2 for them, plus Ray tracing hardware, SSD, gddr6 and SSD memory. These now are facts and put to bed.

Now the wait for next E3 will be too long just for specs for me. So we're still going to have another year full of shitty leaks. Ugh.

TLZ

Banned
For people who think it will be 24 tflops (y)

If you let me back I'll be here. Back to Scarlett... you mentioned it has four times the power of Xbox One X, which certainly sounds good. But what does that mean?

Matt Booty: It's a few things - it's the combination of speed, not just of the SSD but of the processor, the performance of the GPU and RAM, but we're also in a world where speed is starting not to matter. You can make RAM faster either by speeding up the way you access it or by adding more access points. Just think, what are all the things right now which take you out of a game? You're playing then suddenly *bloop* a load screen pops up and drops you out. Our goal is to get rid of those things, that's what we're after.

What do you think about the state of the industry right now? When you look around, who's here, who's not, what trends are you seeing in the industry?

Yea if it was really 24tf they'd be shouting from the rooftops loud and clear about it.

TeamGhobad

Banned
These companies want to make an affordable product for the masses, and will cut corners anyway they can. Oh, and they want to maximize profits.

they also want to one up each other when it comes to power, cause the console with the most power will have an edge in sales.

CyberPanda

Banned
they also want to one up each other when it comes to power, cause the console with the most power will have an edge in sales.
Yea. It’s a game of chess, but at the end of the day they don’t care about anyone. Only about what’s in your wallet and whether or not you will hand it over to them.

CyberPanda

Banned
i don't believe that. i think a lot of x360 players that went ps4 this gen will come back if anaconda is more powerful.
No, damage has been done. MS might sell more than Xbox One sales with Scarlett, but MS are notorious for fucking up marketing, so they will fuck it up some how. They’re good at it.

TeamGhobad

Banned
No, damage has been done. MS might sell more than Xbox One sales with Scarlett, but MS are notorious for fucking up marketing, so they will fuck it up some how. They’re good at it.

gamepass is amazing. i just got metro exodus and the handsome collection and a bunch of indies i wanted. also arkham knigh but i already played it.

TLZ

Banned
You know the drill gang, watch party in 44 minutes

In it for #SuBae

Thanks for reminding me.

It just started!

B_Boss

Guys is it reasonable, given that Capcom extended the trademark last year, that deep down will be on PS5? I was wondering this since I actually had a daydream about the damned game for some reason lol...

pawel86ck

Banned
At first I thought 4x increase over xbox x relates to CPU because it's hard to imagine 4x xbox x GPU performance in a console even 1.5 year from now. But the thing is they have also mentioned 40x performance increase over xbox one. Xbox x has a little bit faster CPU than xbox one, but not that much faster, so maybe they were indeed talking about GPU. Around 20TF console would sure shock everyone.... with price of 1000$😂👌.

LordOfChaos

At first I thought 4x increase over xbox x relates to CPU because it's hard to imagine 4x xbox x GPU performance in a console even 1.5 year from now. But the thing is they have also mentioned 40x performance increase over xbox one. Xbox x has a little bit faster CPU than xbox one, but not that much faster, so maybe they were indeed talking about GPU. Around 20TF console would sure shock everyone.... with price of 1000$😂👌.

40x was about the storage
4x was including memory and "whole system" stuff

Optimal top end would cap out around 2.5x the GPU performance over the X including RDNA's IPC uplift

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom