• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadAnon

If I understand correctly those gen0, gen1 are not just reference to ps4 and pro clocks but actually clock speed modes of this GPU, with gen2 being PS5 mode? Holy shit!!??

Last edited:
The power of what?
I don't like reporting people for "trolling", but what the FUCK is this shit?
Did you read the post I was quoting? I didn’t make it up. Report away, I’d be Concerned for everyones sake if i was banned for something so minimal such as directly responding to somebody’s post. Let alone posting my opinion on a forum.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I understand correctly those gen0, gen1 are not just reference to ps4 and pro clocks but actually clock speed modes of this GPU? Holy shit!!??

That would make sense for BC, since they are the clocks of the each "gen" on the platform/ecosystem.

Gen 0 profile is PS4 clock.
Gen 1 profile is Pro clock.
Gen 2 profile is PS5 clock.

Last edited:

Fake

36cu* 2ghz =9,2TF
giphy.gif
This actor as well.

I thought someone posted a few weeks back (or it could have been a few months back at this point), that it's a 1,40 IPC boost. Or was the 1.40 IPC boost the max and the 1.25 IPC boost the average?
maybe they got it mixed, 1.5x increase in performance per watt over existing Vega GPUs, Navi is 25% faster in terms of IPC and 50% more efficient.

Thedtrain

I’m dying for R600’s return.

On topic: So if this is Sony chip, I feel like I’m going to be let down. Going small on the CU count and ramping up the clocks.

9.2tf depresses me

TLZ

Banned
I would think at least more than the Pro, no?
Ok, so here's a question for the more knowledgeable dudes and dudettes in here. Since the PS4 has 18 CUs, and the Pro has 36 CUs, double the PS4 to maintain BC, wouldn't the PS5 continue the trend and have either 3/4x the PS4's CUs to maintain full BC?

So either 18x3=54 CUs or 18x4=72 CUs? And at that 2ghz clock, either 13.8tf (this one probably looks safer) or 18.4tf (this one looks too high)?

Last edited:

vpance

If they went 2ghz, a high CU count is improbable even if on N7P or EUV. We know RDNA skyrockets in watts beyond 1.8ghz.

Sony trollin Komachi with these WIP one off GPUs IMO.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok, so here's a question for the more knowledgeable dudes and dudettes in here. Since the PS4 has 18 CUs, and the Pro has 36 CUs, double the PS4 to maintain BC, wouldn't the PS5 continue the trend and have either 3/4x the PS4's CUs to maintain full BC?

So either 18x3=54 CUs or 18x4=72 CUs? And at that 2ghz clock, either 13.8tf (this one probably looks safer) or 18.4tf (this one looks too high)?

What you are saying could have some merit. I don’t think it will be 2K clocks, 1800 max. Probably more in the 1600 range.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Guess they skiped DemonCleaner DemonCleaner posts 🤣.

@7nm EUV the power/voltage frequency curve would probably shift to the right. At least is you wouldn't increase density to the max.

tbh I'm coming round on this pastebin https://pastebin.com/y8qXme7b . ignoring the devkit and looking at the retail specs it looks like it could happen.

I think some of the text in there is marketing spin. but 275W PSU excites me

pastebin leak is a lie. looks plausible at first, but there is no way it would just have 560GB/s of memory bandwidth at 384bit bus (which it necessarly need to have with 12x 2GB GDDR6 modules).

Too pessimistic - real world switched mode supplies easily get over 90% and 95% isn't unrealistic .. that'l get you under the magic 200W figure.. :)

That's awesome to hear. Why are 80plus gold PSUs for the PC still that expensive then?

Looking at your results an APU die with 60CU iGPU @1600 would comfortably hit 150W or less on N7P

would maybe also be (boarderline) possible even on normal 7nm at a bit lower clocks :messenger_horns:

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I meant to say consoles won't sport less than 48CUs
2GHz is unrealistic for consoles be it 36CU or 48CU

It doesn't sound unrealistic if as a result of the 7nm EUV process, the power efficiency makes allowances for the 2GHz clock.

I don't know SonGoku, I pray that it's at least 48. But Leadbetter, DF, Gonzalo, it's beginning to add up with a fair bit of consistency.

xool

That is retarded. Different nodes have different voltage/power curves and different architectures have different frequency/voltage curves.

No it is not "retarded" because I was comparing performance vs clock - power usage didn't even come into it.

Seriously don't go throwing around phrase "retarded"

Now comparing outright performance is one thing as you can get perf/transistor and comparing Tflops to find perf/tflop is also useful but using the full fat die of one generation Vs the cut down version of another and saying perf/transistor has regressed when you don't even know how many transistors have been turned off is fucking moronic.

1080 is full fat, 5700 is 36 of a max 40 CU.

Again lay off the attacks.

xool

pastebin leak is a lie. looks plausible at first, but there is no way it would just have 560GB/s of memory bandwidth at 384bit bus (which it necessarly need to have with 12x 2GB GDDR6 modules).
Samsung GDDR6 gos as low as 12Gb/s/pin - that gives nearly 560GB/s (576) on a 384bit bus .. they would be cheapest GDDR6 .. just saying - I don't really believe the numbers either.

xool

I'm at the stage of "don't believe any of this". Komachi et al is/are feeding everyone a line - snippets of manufactured info that looks like Intel.
  • Downclock to PS4/Pro GPU speeds for what ? - backwards compatability? on a new sub-architecture, with a completely different CPU design - nope

I'm at the stage of "don't believe any of this". Komachi et al is/are feeding everyone a line - snippets of manufactured info that looks like Intel.
  • Downclock to PS4/Pro GPU speeds for what ? - backwards compatability? on a new sub-architecture, with a completely different CPU design - nope

Can't understand why people put any stock into anything that Komachi or Apisak tweets about next gen. It's like the blind leading the blind.

Last edited:

llien

...and the XT doesn't [obviously] beat the 2070, despite being higher clocked. [edit I accept it's +5% better]...
It is hilarious in how many ways you manage to be wrong in one sentence.

wOLKsPn.png

NVs actual clock is much higher than claimed.

Last edited:

xool

It is hilarious in how many ways you manage to be wrong in one sentence.

NVs actual clock is much higher than claimed.
Excuse me for taking nvidia's and every other resellers specs as truth .. Oh wait you;re quoting maximum overclock - vs 5700XT standard clocks

Try linking some real figures .. like for like.

xool

They have an actual track record unlike you or SonGoku. And those are not blind guesses they share.

- they don't seem to have the claimed track record at all - supposedly they knew the PS4 and PS4-Pro chip IDs - but where was this info before release .. it didn;t exist - the first time we heard about this supposed "track record" was long after both consoles where out, and the info in the public domain..

An article at Eurogamer fed into the hype https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory

I'll take it all back if anyone can prove either had any info on PS4/PS4-Pro before release. Not reverse engineered claims of insight..

Bring it.

R600

Banned
- they don't seem to have the claimed track record at all - supposedly they knew the PS4 and PS4-Pro chip IDs - but where was this info before release .. it didn;t exist - the first time we heard about this supposed "track record" was long after both consoles where out, and the info in the public domain..

An article at Eurogamer fed into the hype https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory

I'll take it all back if anyone can prove either had any info on PS4/PS4-Pro before release. Not reverse engineered claims of insight..

Bring it.

Yea, apparently for BC. As you can see, they downclock Jaguar in Pro as well as PS4Pro GPU, along with deactivating half of CUs, which interestingly matches exact specs of PS4.

“To give an example, the GPU of the prior version of the system might run at a GPU clock of 500 MHz, and the current system might run at a GPU clock [156] of 750 MHz. The system would run with [156] set to 750 MHz when an application is loaded that is designed only for the current system. In this example, the cycle counter [CC] would correspond to the 750 MHz frequency (i.e., it is a true cycle counter). When a legacy application (i.e., an application designed for the prior version of the system) is loaded, the system [100] may run at a frequency slightly higher than the operating frequency of the prior system (e.g., with [156] set to 505 MHz). In this backward compatible mode, the GPU spoof clock [135] would be configured to run at 500 MHz, and the cycle counter CC would be derived from the spoof clock, thus providing the expected value to the legacy application.”

Maybe matching clocks is important even for gen to gen emulation?

Whatever he provided, from AMD CPUs to GPUs is certainly better "guess" then any of you guys have had up until now.

llien

Oh wait you;re quoting maximum overclock

Grasping straws you are (oh look, the same 1935Mhz and 1845Mhz sustained as above):

clocks-and-thermals.jpg

0eGYSom.png

mrabqRz.png

Last edited:

CSmath22

Banned
Excuse me for taking nvidia's and every other resellers specs as truth

You wouldn't know unless you've had one (and I don't mean that in an elitist way.) My nvidia GPU is listed with a 'boost clock' of 1680 MHz, but will genuinely run around 1845-1860 MHz not overclocked (and sliders left at default.)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

How many TFs would the PS5 have if the GPU ran at an impossible 2 Ghz and it was 48 CUs?

LordOfChaos

So it doesn't seem like they truly want to tariff things like phones and consoles, being that there's several American megacorps impacted by those

How many TFs would the PS5 have if the GPU ran at an impossible 2 Ghz and it was 48 CUs?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
So it doesn't seem like they truly want to tariff things like phones and consoles, being that there's several American megacorps impacted by those

LOL @ Trump. He's not serious about this tariff and I'm happy about that. I want a monster PS5!

xool

Grasping straws you are (oh look, the same 1935Mhz and 1845Mhz sustained as above):

clocks-and-thermals.jpg

0eGYSom.png

mrabqRz.png

Dude I don't know what the fuck you are talking about - the comparison was with a 2070 not 2070 super .. not continuing this .. go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom