• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. There is no way the Xbox One OG was that big.
That's because that ad lied. It was showing 40% reduction in X, Y and Z axis, the problem is that it makes it way smaller than just 40% reduction that way.

Microsoft Advertising never seemed to ever be honest. They even managed to lie with the Xbox All Digital showing a Halo feature that never existed. It gets to the point that we don't talk about it anymore, because everyone assume the ads were lies by default.

I'd love the PS5 to look like the Dev kit. Why?

- Because it beats it looking like a boring square box that can easily blend in with other entertainment units under your TV.
- Because the design looks like it leans very heavily on function instead of form (see the horribly designed PS4 Pro that is unable to get rid of the hot air fast enough)
- Because having a unit sit in your room that looks interesting can also be considered a piece of art
- Because the outlandish design also harkens back to days of old when console designs went for a bit of style as well
- Because gaming is meant to be fun and having a console that takes on some of that in terms of design (while remaining functional) is just groovy

Of course everyone has an opinon on this design but i much love it and hope some design elements (if not all) carry over to final console.
But the design is hideous. The majority would want something sleek, industrial, and unique. What’s presented for the devkit is pure function and no form, like looking at a website from the 90’s. The original Xbox One already did what you were asking and looked way better than this. All they need to do is add some RGB to a slick looking design and it’s fun. But not everyone wants an ugly ass “thing” in their living room.

T-Cake

Wonder if this design leads to an external power brick. Doesn't bother me but I know some of you lot would be up in arms. :messenger_face_screaming:

Then again, after watching the PS4 dismantling video with Yasuhiro Ootoki, he says it is "inconvenient for customers" to have an external power supply.
And dayum. Look at how much space the Blu-ray drive takes up. You could save a lot by not including one.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Wonder if this design leads to an external power brick. Doesn't bother me but I know some of you lot would be up in arms. :messenger_face_screaming:

Then again, after watching the PS4 dismantling video with Yasuhiro Ootoki, he says it is "inconvenient for customers" to have an external power supply.
And dayum. Look at how much space the Blu-ray drive takes up. You could save a lot by not including one.

i'd take 3 power bricks for 14TF+ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GermanZepp

If its quiet I couldnt care less what the box actually looks like.
I'd love the PS5 to look like the Dev kit. Why?

- Because it beats it looking like a boring square box that can easily blend in with other entertainment units under your TV.
- Because the design looks like it leans very heavily on function instead of form (see the horribly designed PS4 Pro that is unable to get rid of the hot air fast enough)
- Because having a unit sit in your room that looks interesting can also be considered a piece of art
- Because the outlandish design also harkens back to days of old when console designs went for a bit of style as well
- Because gaming is meant to be fun and having a console that takes on some of that in terms of design (while remaining functional) is just groovy

Of course everyone has an opinon on this design but i much love it and hope some design elements (if not all) carry over to final console.

You bois get it. Practicality and function before all. But, if is possible i prefer a unique design than a square shaped box.
In terms of design , IMO last gen was og PS3= awesome and og 360=ugly.BUT Last version of PS3=ugly, last version of 360=awesome.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Whoa tiger lol 😂 take it easy 😂😂😂😂 he didn't disrespect your momma.

BTW those first party titles like recore, sea of Thieves. Crack down 3, State of Decay are trash wrap compared to what the competitor is offering and aren't worth it at all. With a sprinkle of Gears, Forza and Halo it's just not enough. I'll keep paying my 60 and enjoy those heavy duty goty contenders you only find mainly on PS while Microsoft is focused on bringing mid tier mediocre shit to game pass because they've canaballized their sales offering subscriptions for 1 dollar every two months or so. Gamepass isn't all positive and I had it and most of those games weren't of interest and I dropped it. It's not about a subscription or how many exclusive games you have on it, it's about the quality of exclusives games on it and others.
I can tell you haven’t used it as I’ve been playing Monster Hunter, Metro Exodus and DMC5 in just the last 3 months and those are all AAA games, same goes for Forza Horizon 4 and now Gears in just a few weeks. Far from just a few sprinkles here and there. There is an actual investment to get AAA from 3rd parties as well, Shadow if the Tomb Raider also comes to mind, and they are all pretty recent games as well. Even Warhammer Vermintide 2 was there at release! Not like only Sony makes GOTY contender like you seem to think. Nothing shit about what they are bringing out right now and in the future, especially if you look at their acquisitions. Anyone can say that their output has been a bit lacklustre in the last few years, however looking at what’s coming up and how gamepass has grown quality wise you are completely wrong as the service is quite alive and unmatched right now and with people on PC now it will only grow stronger.

MS is in a very good position right now and just shitting on it with stupid arguments like you are doing (games are shit lol and so on) doesn’t bring anything here right now. They have an apparently great console coming with arguably the best bang for your buck services and integration with PC, BC all the way back to OG Xbox, All accessories will follow to next gen (a first and honestly for me it’s game changing and I don’t know why anyone else hasn’t done it yet) so no need to buy a new elite controller or a new wireless headset.

As for the discussion at hand, those drawings are about the dev kit only (confirmed already by a dev) if the console is shaped like that it’ll be the ugliest console ever released and I doubt Sony would be stupid enough to do that.

The thing is that if more people adopted console gaming, it would be able to leverage the economies of scale even more than it does currently and we could get more expensive components and R&D for less.

That includes design. Who knows, we could have a Jony Ives designed console yet...
Good point.

200 million console users vs 2 billion mobile users = 10x difference

There's a reason $1000 smartphones exist.

I don't think a 300W power brick is practical.

OG XB1 power brick was noisy AF and prone to failure. XB1X did the right thing by integrating it, all while being more powerful and silent.

I can tell you haven’t used it as I’ve been playing Monster Hunter, Metro Exodus and DMC5 in just the last 3 months and those are all AAA games, same goes for Forza Horizon 4 and now Gears in just a few weeks. Far from just a few sprinkles here and there. There is an actual investment to get AAA from 3rd parties as well, Shadow if the Tomb Raider also comes to mind, and they are all pretty recent games as well. Even Warhammer Vermintide 2 was there at release! Not like only Sony makes GOTY contender like you seem to think. Nothing shit about what they are bringing out right now and in the future, especially if you look at their acquisitions. Anyone can say that their output has been a bit lacklustre in the last few years, however looking at what’s coming up and how gamepass has grown quality wise you are completely wrong as the service is quite alive and unmatched right now and with people on PC now it will only grow stronger.

MS is in a very good position right now and just shitting on it with stupid arguments like you are doing (games are shit lol and so on) doesn’t bring anything here right now. They have an apparently great console coming with arguably the best bang for your buck services and integration with PC, BC all the way back to OG Xbox, All accessories will follow to next gen (a first and honestly for me it’s game changing and I don’t know why anyone else hasn’t done it yet) so no need to buy a new elite controller or a new wireless headset.

As for the discussion at hand, those drawings are about the dev kit only (confirmed already by a dev) if the console is shaped like that it’ll be the ugliest console ever released and I doubt Sony would be stupid enough to do that.
To be fair, none of the Microsoft Acquisitions have presented their next-gen offerings yet other than 343i. One would assume that the Xbox reveal will change this. We are possibly 10 months away from a shit storm of games being revealed. Same goes for Sony. I have a feeling that Microsoft will be swinging hard.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

I'll end this quick bcus reading comprehension may not be your strong suit. My argument was based onnnnnn "First party" offerings, it was in my response if I want to play a whole bunch of multiplats I'll get Psnow which I don't have either or I'll just keep downloading psplus games I actually have game pass ultimate this month for 1 bcus it was so cheap and my sons ps4 og died but he ditched it when I got him a new ps4.

xGreir

The thing is, not everyone wants something that looks like a child's toy under their TV, nor do they want a wierd object with a bunch of vents..

Well, the thing is: that point of view is really subjetive, and then, comes this matter:

Do u really want ur ultra-super-mega-awesome designed chase by Victorio&Lucchino that can only afford to output 8TF? Bcs that's some really nasty trade off u are doing here.

Dabaus

Banned
Does anybody else think that this "leaked" ps5 dev kit is a controlled leak by sony themselves? Like the dev kit looks made to order for internet speculation and some dev no ones heard of before just randomly confirms its real. Keep in mind gamescom is the back drop this week where plenty of gamers are tuned in. Maybe im just wearing a tinfoil hat...

demigod

Does anybody else think that this "leaked" ps5 dev kit is a controlled leak by sony themselves? Like the dev kit looks made to order for internet speculation and some dev no ones heard of before just randomly confirms its real. Keep in mind gamescom is the back drop this week where plenty of gamers are tuned in. Maybe im just wearing a tinfoil hat...

No, it's a patent.

Well, the thing is: that point of view is really subjetive, and then, comes this matter:

Do u really want ur ultra-super-mega-awesome designed chase by Victorio&Lucchino that can only afford to output 8TF? Bcs that's some really nasty trade off u are doing here.
I don't know, the Xbox One X looks pretty great, has quite a bit of horse power and is smaller than the Xbox One S, while having almost 6x the GPU performance. Overheating does not seem like an issue either.

Last edited:

xGreir

I don't know, the Xbox One X looks pretty great, has quite a bit of horse power and is smaller than the Xbox One S, while having almost 6x the GPU performance. Overheating does not seem like an issue either.

The XboxX still looks like a VHS, and I really like it xD

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The thing is, not everyone wants something that looks like a child's toy under their TV, nor do they want a wierd object with a bunch of vents..

What if they add some blue flashing lights on the landing strip?

4NNmX.gif

Ew! Honestly, I hope it looks nothing like that. A standard box for me, please. Just make it black. Rectangular to house all the bits, nothing fancy. Just a regular container.

Yep, a Big Black Container. That's what I'm going to tell Sony I want.

A BBC.

Cyberwoo

Neo Member
I’m up for this console design!
I’m a fan of the SNES (Euro & Japan) PC Engine, PS1 designs.
The whole boring black square box thing leaves me cold.

Reactions: TLZ

MadYarpen

So it seems they need a lot of cooling. I hope the final design is more refined, I keep it under the TV in may living room. So if I dont have to, I don't want to put a toy of a teenager there. So I hope they manage to put this in a more conservative box, even if it has a lot of vents.

If it is the price of a good performing console then OK, but I would prefer it to look different. You can look modern without looking cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom