• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Fake Fake N Negotiator
I think PS5 BC will be hardware based with a layer of software to assist. Kinda like XBONEX boost mode, so you are both right
Dynamic rez games will hit the highest rez target and lock frame rate. Im not sure however if they'll be able to run games at higher resolutions than they were designed without a patch

Last edited:

DJ12

Fake Fake N Negotiator
I think PS4 BC will be hardware based with a layer of software to assist. Kinda like XBONEX boost mode, so you are both right
Dynamic rez games will hit the highest rez target and lock frame rate. Im not sure however if they'll be able to run games at higher resolutions than they were designed without a patch
Probably exactly the same way a game can run 720p and 4k with a simple slide adjuster on PC, there's no special technique to do that, pre- ps4/xbone this was an issue, now they are essentially locked into the off the shelf pc parts, this won't be that much of an issue. Microsoft forcing direct x to be used won't cause them any problems going forwards what so ever, you would also imagine this would be easy for Sony with GNM and GNMX, but with all these patients about matching previous clock speeds, maybe that isn't the case unless that's just a security blanket for games where there isn't a timer to stop games running double the speed at double the framerate.

Last edited:

Bani

Fake Fake N Negotiator
I think PS5 BC will be hardware based with a layer of software to assist. Kinda like XBONEX boost mode, so you are both right
I'm afraid you're going to have to pay for the upfront version of the games

Fake

Fake Fake N Negotiator
Yeah thx to bring the conversation. PS5 BC still make me curious and need to be more talked too.
edit:
You watch that video about Xbox BC I posted? Man, that video is great to watch. Was a great job for Microsoft part.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah thx to bring the conversation. PS5 BC still make me curious and need to be more talked too.
edit:
You watch that video about Xbox BC I posted? Man, that video is great to watch. Was a great job for Microsoft part.
Based on some of the patents I see Sony providing base BC through a similar mechanism as you were saying, but with additional server side computed per game per platform optimisation profiles to actually improve over “simple” 100% BC.

Fake

Based on some of the patents I see Sony providing base BC through a similar mechanism as you were saying, but with additional server side computed per game per platform optimisation profiles to actually improve over “simple” 100% BC.
Facisnante. Folks need to give more credibility to this function beside specs. So underwhelming feature.

Mikey Jr.

Can someone explain to me why the PS4 has absolutely no PS1 support.

Not even talking about running discs. Just your PS1 PSN games.

Why can't I play that on PS4? Surely its not a hardware issue.........

PS3 had it for fuck sakes, and I'm pretty sure later iterations of the PS3 were using pure emulation.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
server side?🤨🤔

The game run locally, but the optimisations profiles would be downloadable.

SonGoku

The game run locally, but the optimisations profiles would be downloadable.

done by AI?

Mikey Jr.

1) It can only be emulated
2) Sony didn't bother

1) That I assumed. What is wrong with that?

2) Yeah, not surprised. Since Jim "why would anyone want to play this?" Ryan is now in charge I don't see much hope of BC past PS4 for the PS5.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Nothing, it's just it cannot come out of the box with next to no effort (unlike PS5's BC with PS4)

Ohhh, I see. Well, since Playstation going forward is going to be more like a PC, I hope they put in the effort. The emulation they do for it now should carry forward to the PS5, PS6, etc

FranXico

Nothing, it's just it cannot come out of the box with next to no effort (unlike PS5's BC with PS4)
A PS1 emulator should be considered a very low effort development, to be honest.

Oh well, at least we all got Crash and Spyro remakes from the whole ordeal.

Last edited:
Matt from ree-era hinted that the china tarrifs could potentially make sony and ms downgrade their consoles to reduce costs. Like fucking damn why must each gen be fucked before it starts lol.

Fake

In my point the lack of PS1 emulator on PS4 its a mix of both Sony lack of interess plus they try to promote vita/psp if I remember right PS4 had a psp emulator inside.
Because that ideia of put that version of SOTN was stupid. The PS1 is by far the superior version.

llien

Matt from ree-era hinted that the china tarrifs could potentially make sony and ms downgrade their consoles to reduce costs. Like fucking damn why must each gen be fucked before it starts lol.
Well, why not raise the price accordingly for US market instead? (and subsidise it a bit, perhaps)
Besides, China's response so far was weakening yuan => making things even cheaper.

Fake

Don't make much sense. Its a stupid statement in fact. Dunno wtf Matt have being smoking. Its like saying 'Apple will reduce iPhone specs because China.'
Nintendo and Apple already doing a smart move of changing the manufacture location. Sony and Microsoft could do the same, or just increase the price tag, but reduce specs? lol.

Last edited:
Why must the entire world get downgraded next-gen consoles just because of USA/China politics?

SonGoku

Don't make much sense. Its a stupi statment in fact. Dunno wtf Matt have being smoking. Its like saying 'Apple will reduce iPhone specs because China.'
Nintendo and Apple already doing a smath move of changing the manufacture location. Sony and Microsoft could do the same, or just increase the price tag, but reduce specs? lol.
Move manufacturing to favelas, problem solved
The-favela-tour-of-Rio-de-Janerio-770x513.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who is "Matt" anyway?

Didn't Sony double RAM spec less than a year before release of PS4?

Sure, I doubt they’re going to half the ram just because of a tariff. A lot of things you can screw up with your systems plans and it’s not gonna be worth the sacrifice to save a couple of dollars.

They’ll start migrating manufacturing over time to other regions before they do that.

Last edited:

Cenkolino85

Neo Member
Cheap Reeee-tard tactics. Nothing will change. They simple move production to Taiwan and thats it. Maybe Japan will produce its own contingents of consoles for their own market. Hell that Japan Made PS5 would sell like hot cakes worldwide. Better quality and such.

AFAIK Matt has always been very knowledgeable. And yes it does make sense because we're still playing with devkits and they're not final yet. Nor are the machines specs and so on.

That's a really shitty prospect for next gen. FFS.

Racer!

AFAIK Matt has always been very knowledgeable. And yes it does make sense because we're still playing with devkits and they're not final yet. Nor are the machines specs and so on.

That's a really shitty prospect for next gen. FFS.

Matt has no clue. Just out to push an agenda. I guess hes trying to create som kind of rage against Trump or something.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Matt has no clue. Just out to push an agenda. I guess hes trying to create som kind of rage against Trump or something.

It can't last. Trump is staring down a very real recession in the U.S. and (because he won in 2016 by the slimmest of margins) an extremely difficult re-election bid in 2020.

He's not going to want to go into next year dealing with any of this. This IS going to end soon. Especially once he understands there's no further opportunity for self aggrandizement to be had from the situation.

Racer!

It can't last. Trump is staring down a very real recession in the U.S. and (because he won in 2016 by the slimmest of margins) an extremely difficult re-election bid in 2020.

He's not going to want to go into next year dealing with any of this. This IS going to end soon. Especially once he understands there's no further opportunity for self aggrandizement to be had from the situation.

Good summary!

bitbydeath

Figured we were overdue for a new PasteBin.

• Based on our experiences with both next gen devkits, both ps5 and the next xbox has pretty much identical performance. However, we noticed the ps5 is way more faster to boot and loading games. Both has ray tracing hardware accelerated.
  • The ps5 devkit has higher clock for gpu, compared to scarlett. Cpu clocks are pretty much the same, with the scarlett being a litter higher. It's incredible how fast the ps5 devkit complete the boot, it take like 5 to 7 seconds.
  • The ps5 devkit os is based on FreeBSD 12, and it's really really fast and easy to use. There's two horizontal lines of tiles now, and the interaction and animations are similar to ps4. There's also a new profile system with a lot of player stats.

Last edited:

first of all, no hes not, the economy is very strong and only getting better with Chinas fall. second of all, his win was quite a landslide (do you even politics?)
And lastly, hes won the trade war. China is getting crushed economically, and is in an actual recession and has already agreed to start negotiations.

its truly bizarre how the same situation can be viewed depending on which color glasses you wear. If you watch CNN you believe hes a nazi and we are heading towards impending economic doom and if you dont watch CNN you see how China is getting crushed and the US economy only looks to improve further when the new trade is made with overwhelming US leverage.

Mass Shift

Do i LOL uncontrollably or does this new pastebin post make a bit of sense. Help me decide please.

Go ahead and laugh. Because anyone who knows the performance of both next gen kits would have been in the position to spill the beans on all clocks, memory and CU count.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Pretty sure a cautious leaker like this guy is not giving specific details to sounds just vague enough to be a rumour therefore no one will try looking up who he is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom