• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

They need to change the position of the 'option' button or make the touchpad the start button. Touchpad used as a button for acess the menu game or map was a great ideia.

Lort

Banned
They need to change the position of the 'option' button or make the touchpad the start button. Touchpad used as a button for acess the menu game or map was a great ideia.

I kinda like the idea of a screen on the controller but i cant help but think it will make them more expensive and wont have the uptake or use it could have. Ps4 and xbox both supported second screen devices but people didnt use them and games stopped supporting it.

TBiddy

Walking simulators? That's what we are saying now? Jesus some people are terrible.

This whole thread is a shit-show of trolling from both sides. Everyday I check in, hoping to see new rumours or leaks, and everyday I get disappointed. "LOL NO GAMES ON XBOX", "SONY HAS ONLY WALKING SIMULATORS" and shit like that.

SonGoku

This whole thread is a shit-show of trolling from both sides. Everyday I check in, hoping to see new rumours or leaks, and everyday I get disappointed. "LOL NO GAMES ON XBOX", "SONY HAS ONLY WALKING SIMULATORS" and shit like that.
GTFO with this nonsense, nextgen discussion has been on point on this thread
Most active participants here want nothing to do with console warring

Last edited:

Fake

I kinda like the idea of a screen on the controller but i cant help but think it will make them more expensive and wont have the uptake or use it could have. Ps4 and xbox both supported second screen devices but people didnt use them and games stopped supporting it.
Not only more expensive, but more battery hungry as well. The macbook with the screen was a big enemy for the battery life.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

3.2 GHz for PS5 and 3.3 GHz for Scarlett basically confirmed. Custom/secret SSD sauce also confirmed for PS5. :)

"There's also a new profile system with a lot of player stats"

Please tell me they will allow us to see our gameplay hours in every single game. I know Sony has been keeping stats for both the PS3 and the PS4 (I have gotten some emails from Sony regarding my most played games).

That’s why I posted that rumour.
The hardware elements were just standard affair, but the OS having two vertical bars and player stats would be great.

TLZ

Banned
im use to holding something in my hands that has some weight to it.
That's what she said :messenger_sunglasses:

oct 2 nexbox reveal.

Why announce it before Christmas? They're already struggling with sales. They surely don't want to make it even worse.

The DualShock RGB LED is going nowhere, since PSVRv2 is confirmed by Sony.

Maybe ask for a 0-100% brightness slider instead of 3 presets only?
Or one more option to turn it off.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, kinda sad most devs didn't give a flying fuck about the touchpad.

Best use of it was Killzone Shadowfall. After that, just mehhh.

So Sony will definitely reduce the size of it drastically. Not to mention that apparently its just a massive battery hog on the controller. The small LED light probably drained nothing.

I definitely see 2 new buttons on the back of the pad though. Not exactly paddles that stick out like the elite, but like the steam controller.

Not to mention that apparently its just a massive battery hog on the controller. The small LED light probably drained nothing.
Not true:

joe_zazen

Best use of it was Killzone Shadowfall. After that, just mehhh.

So Sony will definitely reduce the size of it drastically. Not to mention that apparently its just a massive battery hog on the controller. The small LED light probably drained nothing.

I definitely see 2 new buttons on the back of the pad though. Not exactly paddles that stick out like the elite, but like the steam controller.

A couple more buttons would be nice, but I want a rollerball so Cerny can give us marble madness 2020!

rəddəM

I just think the distance between buttons could be shortened. The buttons could be closer together, specially the L1/R1, L2/R2.
I always feel like I have to compromise grip/comfort/responsiveness to reach the buttons and press them, specially fastly.
Having your index and middle fingers extended snapping buttons while the other 2 hold the controller is kinda uncomfortable.
Just a thought.
Edit: What I meant is that the height that our index and middle fingers need to extend to to reach the L1/R1, L2/R2 is a little too much.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I regularly swap between Xbox One controller (PC) and DualShock 4 (PS4) during the week. The DS4 is definitely not as ergonomic as the Xbox controller, that thing just fits me like a glove. Also I find that whatever material is on the DS4 makes me hands feel "claggy" and I have to keep washing them every hour. It's very weird. So, I agree with others and want Sony to essentially copy the build of the Xbox pad for DualShock 5. The stick and button layout is fine, that's not a problem.

Fake

I still don't gave the Xbox One controller a chance, but the dualshock 4 works very well on PC. In fact, without any drivers. Just plug and enjoy the superior dpad.

I think the main problem is that the touchpad's use is actually rather limited. It was in Infamous Second Son, but felt rather tacked on, to be honest.

I've seen it attempted to be used in games where you're viewing a map (such as DOOM and Assassin's Creed) and can scroll the map around with the pad, but it still feels like an afterthought. It's honestly just easier to use the thumbsticks.

What would a good implementation be? I'm struggling to think up any, since most things can be done with the sticks.

Maybe drawing a pattern?
Tapping it in certain spots for ... I don't know, entering a combination on a keypad?

As a method of performing gestures in multiplayer titles might work? Swipe in directions to do things? This would work in No Man's Sky and Dark Souls?

Fake

you need a program called DS4 (i think) and ps4 controller forte is definitely not the D-pad.
No. Just plug the DS4 via USB on Windows 7/8.1 and works without any drivers. The revision version of DS4 works pretty well on Windows 7 and I gonna repeat, works without any drivers or software if you plug via USB.
You must be talking about using via bluetooth or the previous DS4 (the dualshock 4 without the light on the touchpad).

Last edited:
No. Just plug the DS4 via USB on Windows 7/8.1 and works without any drivers. The revision version of DS4 works pretty well on Windows 7 and I gonna repeat, works without any drivers or software if you plug via USB.
You must be talking about using via bluetooth or the previous DS4 (the dualshock 4 without the light on the touchpad).
Weird, I have to use a software to get this to work via USB.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I keep seeing mentions of ps5 possibly being backwards compatible with ps1, ps2, Ps3 and ps4. But this is just wishful thinking and not based on anything, right?

It was my understanding that at least disc based was impossible because ps1 used cd's and Ps3 used a red laser to read it's blu ray discs and ps4 uses a blue laser etc?

Fake

Weird, I have to use a software to get this to work via USB.
Windows 10?

Notebook here with I using right now to speak to you its a Samsung AMD A6 with Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1. Never installed any software or driver for the dualshock 4 work. Just plug the USB cable and the Windows call him a wired controller. I used to play games on PC and recharge the DS4 at the same time.
I have only two games with don't work with DualShock 4:

- Tomb Raider Gold
- Rise of The Triad

Even GLquake works.

Windows 10?

Notebook here with I using right now to speak to you its a Samsung AMD A6 with Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1. Never installed any software or driver for the dualshock 4 work. Just plug the USB cable and the Windows call him a wired controller. I used to play games on PC and recharge the DS4 at the same time.
I have only two games with don't work with DualShock 4:

- Tomb Raider Gold
- Rise of The Triad

Even GLquake works.
I'll have to give this a shot then, I play overcooked with the wife on the PC and have and XO and PS4 controller.

Is a next gen thread really the place for controller discussions and troubleshooting?
The topic came up (a splinter of the next-gen controller talk), although a little off topic, it ended right at the comment you quoted until you complained about it. I'm sorry if it took away from your experience of talking out your ass about the consoles that we know nothing about. But surely your rage will be focused on replying to this comment momentarily.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The topic came up (a splinter of the next-gen controller talk), although a little off topic, it ended right at the comment you quoted until you complained about it. I'm sorry if it took away from your experience of talking out your ass about the consoles that we know nothing about. But surely your rage will be focused on replying to this comment momentarily.

😂 😂 😂 😂 👂👂👂👀👀👀🤛💪💪💪💪

Racer!

:messenger_poop:

Imtjnotu

5fFi.gif

JediMind

Neo Member

Super sorry for hurting your feelings by reminding you guys to get back to topic. If I only knew, by doing this, I would trigger your rage - then I would of course kept quiet so that you didn't have to focus on replying to my comment momentarily.

Sooooo, what about that ps5 huh?

Last edited:

FranXico

Super sorry for hurting your feelings by reminding you guys to get back to topic. If I only knew, by doing this, I would trigger your rage - then I would of course kept quiet so that you didn't have to focus on replying to my comment momentarily.

Sooooo, what about that ps5 huh?
Here, another person replying to your oh-so-witty comment momentarily. Hope you enjoyed the attention.

Come on guys, at this point, I'd even take a GokuSon pastebin.

spanna

I regularly swap between Xbox One controller (PC) and DualShock 4 (PS4) during the week. The DS4 is definitely not as ergonomic as the Xbox controller, that thing just fits me like a glove. Also I find that whatever material is on the DS4 makes me hands feel "claggy" and I have to keep washing them every hour. It's very weird. So, I agree with others and want Sony to essentially copy the build of the Xbox pad for DualShock 5. The stick and button layout is fine, that's not a problem.
Personally I am completely other way. I would be quite pissed off if Sony changed the controller massively from the DS4, I think it is perfection for my hands. I play on my xb1x more than my ps4pro but have never liked the size and weight and general poor ergonomics of the xbox 1 controller and xbox 1 elite controller which I use now. Its like it is overweight. The DS4 is just so light and fits perfectly in my hand. I do agree though that the touchpad area could do with rethinking though. Games just use it as an extra button or sometimes not at all.

T-Cake

Personally I am completely other way. I would be quite pissed off if Sony changed the controller massively from the DS4, I think it is perfection for my hands. I play on my xb1x more than my ps4pro but have never liked the size and weight and general poor ergonomics of the xbox 1 controller and xbox 1 elite controller which I use now. Its like it is overweight. The DS4 is just so light and fits perfectly in my hand. I do agree though that the touchpad area could do with rethinking though. Games just use it as an extra button or sometimes not at all.

It's just a shame that they [platform holders] don't make some kind of universal input system so you could use any controller across any console. Oh the thought!

The only good thing about the DS4 touch pad is it's great for text entry.

Last edited:

Fake

Youtube quality is worst than ever with those poor video, spreading fake news and stupid algorithm. Sticky with your personal tech site folks.
Anw, yeah, 'Control' is taking the sleep of many people here at the point of some even to doubt the next gen power. Classic bait.

PS5 and Xbox 2 are doomed. /s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom