• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Shift

Yeah, you're right. Was a long time ago I watched that video. My bad.
Still, 'devs are quite happy with PS5', but no mention of Xbox in this happiness I'm afraid.

There were no negative inferences toward Xbox dev kit, so there's no reason to derive one from a non-mention.

Fake

There were no negative inferences toward Xbox dev kit, so there's no reason to derive one from a non-mention.
I said Xbox got no mention. I never said DF spoke some 'negative' of Xbox.
The 'happiness' reference was a joke.

Last edited:

Newest 3900X vs. 9900K comparison. Gaming performance is very very close except for games which we've long known to favor Intel and their higher clocks/Single cores.

Otherwise it's a bloodbath for AMD. More cores, more threads, and it pushes only 77% of the power.

Fake

Newest 3900X vs. 9900K comparison. Gaming performance is very very close except for games which we've long known to favor Intel and their higher clocks/Single cores.

Otherwise it's a bloodbath for AMD. More cores, more threads, and it pushes only 77% of the power.

Thats a good sign for next gen. Their optimization are far better than pc counterpart.

Reactions: TLZ

Fake

The cpu jump is the best thing to happen this Gen besides higher ram bandwidth.

Gpu jump will not matter as much as these two
To be fair at the GPU side, most of modern features are come from GPU.
Those radeon GPU features, RT, dedicated secret saurce, 3D audio, HDR, etc...
Just a list of new features the desktop NAVI gpu will have and can be on next gen consoles as well.

Imtjnotu

To be fair at the GPU side, most of modern features are come from GPU.
Those radeon GPU features, RT, dedicated secret saurce, 3D audio, HDR, etc...
Just a list of new features the desktop NAVI gpu will have and can be on next gen consoles as well.
But in the console world, consoles no in the pro and c version can keep up with it for the most part. Cpu is where most console games fall behind is in frame rates

Fake

But in the console world, consoles no in the pro and c version can keep up with it for the most part. Cpu is where most console games fall behind is in frame rates
Indeed, but IMO and not shiting the Ryzen because I think Ryzen CPUs are fantastics, but will be easy talk good about Ryzen this time because jaguar are crap.
Here a list of features the recent NAVI have:

Radeon Media Engine

RDNA Architecture

VSR (4K)

Radeon™ VR Ready Premium

Radeon™ FreeSync Technology

DirectX® 12 Technology

TrueAudio Next

The Vulkan® API

Even ignoring the radeon catalyst software features like 'lag free'.

The cpu jump is the best thing to happen this Gen besides higher ram bandwidth.

Gpu jump will not matter as much as these two
Bottom line is the level of details gonna be huge (physics etc... more add-ons).
example : more realistic cloud look, water movement, smoke, they can add more stuff at a scene than before, grass & three branch movements, raccoons & birds playing on the side, an apple falling from the three and start rolling... :messenger_grinning_squinting:.

an apple falling from the three and start rolling...
Not sure why we need Ryzen for that. Wii U can do it with an ancient PowerPC CPU (dating back all the way to GameCube Gekko) in Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I agree Ryzen will be a fantastic improvement compared to Jaguar, but let's not forget which game has the best physics system this gen, with arguably a much worse CPU (whether it's the Wii U or the Switch).

Not sure why we need Ryzen for that. Wii U can do it with an ancient PowerPC CPU (dating back all the way to GameCube Gekko) in Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I agree Ryzen will be a fantastic improvement compared to Jaguar, but let's not forget which game has the best physics system this gen, with arguably a much worse CPU (whether it's the Wii U or the Switch).
Yeah even Ps1 can do that but you can still notice the difference in physics thru gen's (water movement isn't like older gen's isn't it) the same thing goes for any other thing, guess you already know that and you got my point, just sh!t posting on your part, also you can have a current gen focused on phisycs leaving the game lacking on other things, can't have it both ways next gen wont have these minimal restrictions.

Fake

After seeing the Ryzen Surface Edition make me wonder if PS5 and Nextbox will get an exclusive CPU as well.
Welcome to my ignore list.
ohyou.jpg

FrostyJ93

I expect hardware reveal events/conferences in Feb-April periods next year. To either end current fiscal year strong or start next fiscal year strong

Last edited:
I'm happy for them to take their time on development of the sequel. That was one of my favourite games of the current gen, so I want them to ensure the sequel does all it can to reach its rather high expectations.

And of course we 1000% need Ashly Burch back as Aloy. No alternate actor..!

LordOfChaos

Before they do, Cerny wants to clarify something. When we last discussed the forthcoming console, he spoke about its ability to support ray-tracing, a technique that can enable complex lighting and sound effects in 3D environments. Given the many questions he’s received since, he fears he may have been ambiguous about how the PS5 would accomplish this—and confirms that it’s not a software-level fix, which some had feared. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.” (A belief born out by my own Twitter mentions, which for a couple of weeks in April made a graphics-rendering technique seem like the only thing the internet had ever cared about.)

Based Cerny gets us, hardware RT confirmed/software RT speculation finally dead

Fake

Based Cerny gets us, hardware RT confirmed/software RT speculation finally dead

Skyr

Stoked about the “impulse triggers” on the new DS5.
Proper triggers and a decent battery are what I miss the most on the DS4.

"The SSD has me really excited," Thrush says. "You don't need to do gameplay hacks anymore to artificially slow players down—lock them behind doors, anything like that. Back in the cartridge days, games used to load instantly; we're kind of going back to what consoles used to be."

Fuck yeah!
I still remember a conversation I had in highschool; we were discussing the merits of a game console that run from a CD rather than a cartridge. (PS1 hadn't came out yet) Back then, the concern was the loading time that would be introduced. And our worst fears were realised as the loading time got longer and longer every new gen.
So we are now going back to cartridge, of a sort.

I still remember a conversation I had in highschool; we were discussing the merits of a game console that run from a CD rather than a cartridge. (PS1 hadn't came out yet) Back then, the concern was the loading time that would be introduced. And our worst fears were realised as the loading time got longer and longer every new gen.
So we are now going back to cartridge, of a sort.
Yeah, going from cartridges to CD-ROM was a necessary evil back then.

Remember Neo Geo cartridges? $200 a pop!

Never understood why people want (real) cartridges back, when we can have our cake (cheap optical media) and eat it too (ultra-fast loading thanks to SSD)! ;)

Installing games is a small price to pay IMHO. The alternative is going back to Neo Geo pricing and nobody in their right mind wants that.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I forgot everything what i read before after i read the controller part, fuck yeah. After playing with the Xbox One controller, every time i switch over to DS4 it feels like the battery is empty or the rumble motor are broken. You feel it the most when you play Forza and switch to GTS, you don't feel nothing in GTS compared to Forza where you even feel the abs etc. That one is for me one of the best features they added to PS5 next to the ssd. PS5 is shaping up really nice, launch it with next gen GT and TLOU 2 and im day one :).

LordOfChaos

Yeah I hope the overall build quality of the DS5 is improved too. $74CAD is not nothing for a squeaky, sharp, plastic, cheap feeling thing.

You can still do plastic but with a nice unibody polycarbonate or something.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Let's hope the new triggers mean they are something like the Xbox One ones. The triggers are easily the worst part of the DualShock 4. Squeaky, fragile rubbish.

squeaky? Did you get yours through amazon? They have problems with counterfeit items, even when choosing amazon.com as seller. The problem being they dont care, lol.

LordOfChaos

100GB Blu Ray discs will be used. How fast can those discs be read? Are we looking at long install times?

Probably 12x, so around the same as the 4K Xbox drives. But that doesn't really speak to install time, since it also mentioned games can be cut up into more granular segments, so you could start playing, say, the single player while it and hte MP install. The PS4 is already pretty good at this, now add a very fast SSD, much better processor, and fine grained chunking of games.

100GB Blu Ray discs will be used. How fast can those discs be read? Are we looking at long install times?
PS4 has a 6x BD-ROM drive (around 1GB per minute). It takes 45 minutes max to install a full disc (45GB).

PS5 might take the same time with 100GB discs and 12x BD-ROM drive.

The real question is, how are they going to handle cross-gen (PS4/PS5) games? 100GB/BDXL is not compatible with PS4 consoles.

Stuart360

Probably 12x, so around the same as the 4K Xbox drives. But that doesn't really speak to install time, since it also mentioned games can be cut up into more granular segments, so you could start playing, say, the single player while it and hte MP install. The PS4 is already pretty good at this, now add a very fast SSD, much better processor, and fine grained chunking of games.
Games are a lot quicker installing to SSD's than hard drives, on PC anyway, so even with larger game sizes, i'd expect install times to be shorter than current gen.

Dabaus

Banned
Prediction: PS5 Reveal, Sony brings out a bunch of SJWs on stage to talk about "responsibility" with the new PS5, in short how they will censor all games that are not in line with SJW values.

Xbox wins the console wars.

I mean its still possible but I do believe Layden was sort of the force behind that. If sony did actually fire him im assuming he was the reason for all the censorship and skipping conferences. If thats true they made the right decision.

FrostyJ93

Expect PS Meeting in Feb or March. Even if its not out till November it get it on the mind as tax returns come in.

Last edited:
Peeps are hungry for next-gen leaks/rumors, so I delivered:

Cqu5Fw2.png

Source: https://forum.beyond3d.com/members/fehu.7520/

7TF GPU and 800 GB/s of memory bandwidth doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

The CPU also seems woefully underpowered for a next-gen jump. Roughly the same clocks as Pro (2.13 GHz) and X (2.3 GHz), double IPC. Nothing to brag about.

2TB SSD is a bit excessive. I'd rather have 1TB if that means more budget to the APU (CPU/GPU).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom