• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Is true?
no

This is the Xbox One dev kit.
d15eb25ecb3b95c2afec6aeb01690168.png

Last edited:

nowhat

no

This is the Xbox One dev kit.
d15eb25ecb3b95c2afec6aeb01690168.png

I'm quite not buying it. Those five buttons are strange - the way I'd understand those eight LEDs (buttons too? who knows) on the PS5 devkit is they'd offer easy access to show which cores are in use/perhaps even to disable them individually. Does this mean Scarlett will have only five cores? ;) (joking, we know it won't)

I'm quite not buying it. Those five buttons are strange - the way I'd understand those eight LEDs (buttons too? who knows) on the PS5 devkit is they'd offer easy access to show which cores are in use/perhaps even to disable them individually. Does this mean Scarlett will have only five cores? ;) (joking, we know it won't)
Not buying what?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Looks like Sony is willing to subsidize the PS5:

Direct quote from the article.

Totoki-san explained that Sony is "analyzing the cost, the acceptable price in the market, and platform penetration,” all of which seems to indicate that the company has set its sights on making the PS5 affordable enough that it'll be off to a running start, rather than being so expensive as to leave gamers hesitant to fork out for the upgrade to next gen. He added that Sony is still “very conscious of the level of profit for investors and for the marketplace.”

I read this as saying they are hesitant to subsidize it, which would put a lot of the pie-in-the-sky predictions in this thread on ice. But we will see.

I read this as saying they are hesitant to subsidize it, which would put a lot of the pie-in-the-sky predictions in this thread on ice. But we will see.

Why not at this point? Subsidize it and bundle it with PS5, PSNetwork Premuim, and PSNow. If they could do that at a good monthly price, I'm all in.

Last edited:

Stuart360

With all the subscriptions available on consoles now, I actually expect one or both to subsidize next gen systems.
Which would be like every gen except this one (except Nintendo of course:messenger_beaming:). This is the only gen i can really think of where the main consoles werent being sold at a loss. I honestly think Sony and Microsoft bought into the endless 'console are dead, no one wants them, mobile gaming is the future' drivel that was spouted from everyone running up to the launch of this gen, and thats why the consoles were underpowered. I also think thats why Microsoft talked about everything but games at their infamous reveal.
The PS4 has shown this gen that people still want consoles. I expect both consoles to be selling at a loss at launch.

"affordable enough that it'll be off to a running start, rather than being so expensive as to leave gamers hesitant to fork out for the upgrade to next gen"

Right now, the PS4 is £200 and the PS4 Pro is £299. Perhaps in a year they'll be £150 and £249 each. That means the PS5 could launch for £399 - £499 and would actually be seen as very reasonable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why not at this point? Subsidize it and bundle it with PS5, PSNetwork Premuim, and PSNow. If they could do that at a good monthly price, I'm all in.

That was the CFO of Sony saying that. I don't know what their strategy will be, but it seems to be a clear signal to shareholders that they aren't planning on selling this thing at a huge loss. Again, we will see.

Lort

Banned
Looks like Sony is willing to subsidize the PS5:

I guess this should tone down lowballing a bit. :messenger_sunglasses:

#Team499MSRP #Team599BOM

This in no way says they have fixed an affordability issue .. its simply saying that its a balancing act between cost and sales... so the market should be prepared for something not very cheap and not very expensive.
This recent ( few months) rumour about two ps5s at launch started around the time MS publically hinted at two xbox .. before they soon took that back.

Kind of seems like a disinformation campaign to respond to MS ( ie Sony in no way will release two consoles but is happy for a rumour saying it may). Ms was testing two consoles in order to make sure Sony couldnt massively undercut on price or over spec the device significantly.

All this just reafirms both consoles are aiming for 500-550 price and may take a small loss.

bitbydeath

Keep in mind this was before we had any information from Sony through Wired.

-PS5 official info from Sony somewhere around next E3(Sony will not be participating on E3),i'd say Q2 2019 small reveal
This was correct, first small reveal was in April.

PS5 release March 2020 or November 2020,not yet finalized
The latter is likely correct although not that hard to guess.

-backward compatible
This was true.

-physical games & ps store
Obviously

-ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,
I hope not.

-specs CPU 7nm ryzen 8 core 16 threads,unknown speed
Correct.

GPU 7nm Navi arhitecture around 14TF,its gonna be powerful and power efficient,Sony working with Amd for Navi,some sort of Ray Tracing but will not focus on that,more focus with VR and 4k,much better bandwith overall

7nm Navi and Ray Tracing was correct.
14TF... I wish

24GB Gddr6 + 4gb ddr4 for os,we have 32 gb dev kits
Plausible but unknown

-2tb hdd some sort of nand flash
Unknown but flash is interesting

-8k upscaling
Correct

-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$
Wrong, we won't see PSVR2 at launch so will be 2021 at the earliest.

-dualshock 5,some sort of camera inside for VR,more analog precision for fps games,something similiar to steam analog trackpad
Unknown for the most part although there was talk of the last Wired article of the controller having a hole which may be a place for a camera.
Mark Cerny said he will speak more on what that's for later.

-price 499$,100$ loss per console at a beginning
Unknown

Ps4 exclusive launch games that i know of
-Gran Turismo 7 (vr)
-Pubg remaster 4k f2p with ps+ only on ps5
-Last of us 2 remaster
-Ghost of Tsushima remaster
-2-3 aaa games more + psvr2 games
Unknown

Non exclusive ps5 games 2020
Battlefield bad company 3
Harry potter
Gta 6 Holiday 2020 most probably,not hearing anything ps4 related (hearing that Sony is paying huge money to secure 1 month time exclusive for ps5). Been hearing rumors about Miami and New York,so 2 big cities,but im not sure if thats 100% true
Assassins creed
Horizon 2 so far in 2021

Who could have guessed a Harry Potter game? It is what really makes this pastebin stand out.
Horizon 2 in 2021 is likely correct judging from the recent job advertisements.
And the rest is unknown.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This was true.

Obviously

I hope not.

8 core was correct. I think the rest is unknown at this time.

14TF... I wish

Plausible but unknown

Correct

Unknown for the most part although there was talk of the last Wired article of the controller having a hole which may be a place for a camera.

Unknown

Unknown

Who could have guessed a Harry Potter game? It is what really makes this pastebin stand out.
And the rest is unknown.

I believe the 8/16 Zen2 was confirmed in the second Wired one, wasn't it?

FranXico

To be fair, this was the last believable pastebin leak of recent times, before the flood of fakebins started.

*Shakes fist at SonGoku SonGoku *

8 core was correct. I think the rest is unknown at this time.
The second Wired interview confirmed not only 8 cores, but also Zen 2, without any specifics on clock speeds.

I don't know if I would believe any new pastebins right now, though.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

This was true.

Obviously

I hope not.

Correct.

14TF... I wish

Plausible but unknown

Correct

Unknown

Unknown

And the rest is unknown.
I'm guessing the ps plus premium would be ps plus and ps now together. Just like Gamepass ultimate.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Everyone should be getting the hints already.. it's not rocket science. Sony is willing to allow porting their exclusives to PC. Games are getting too expensive to make and most companies will have dev kits that are upgraded PCs. The hardware is already similar to PC. It would be smart to make an extensible graphics engine that targets higher end specs than what's coming on next-gen consoles. Why not make up some extra profit with allowing PC sales. It's a smart business decision. MS isn't hindered by PC games, so why should Sony? There are only 2 major studios left in the Sony-only stand: Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Everyone should be getting the hints already.. it's not rocket science. Sony is willing to allow porting their exclusives to PC. Games are getting too expensive to make and most companies will have dev kits that are upgraded PCs. The code is already there for the PC. Why not make up some extra profit with allowing PC sales. It's a smart business decision. MS isn't hindered by PC games, so why should Sony?

Because they’re not third party and want customers in their ecosystem as that’s where the real money is.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Because they’re not third party and want customers in their ecosystem as that’s where the real money is.

I'm not sure about that. You can make money from the Sony ecosystem as well as delve into the PC ecosystem. There's no law saying that's not legal. Don't be surprised.. PC has pretty much every single PS exclusive ported over.

bitbydeath

I'm not sure about that. You can make money from the Sony ecosystem as well as delve into the PC ecosystem. There's no law saying that's not legal. Don't be surprised.. PC has pretty much every single PS exclusive ported over.

It devalues their ecosystem when giving customers options to go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom