• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Shift

I've been going over these posts and a lot is lost in the translation. From what I can gather:
-AquariusZi is leaking info from the Taiwan foundry/factory.
-They leaked the original post Komachi linked from October.
-They note that they had posted concerning previous "cases"(chips?), and that it was translated on Twitter for people who had trouble reading it(by Komachi?)
-Navi 21 is 505mm², technically the biggest in the history of the Temple(Foundry?)
-Navi 21 is not HBM, but a package designed to interface with GDDR
-Oberon is re-testing, Holiday 2020 is coming fast
--->October AquariusZi leak
-Oberon is PS5, Arden is Xbox
-Arden is further along
-Oberon is 300mm² vs Arden 350mm²

Okay so Aquarius is a person, not a code name. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Hi all.

PS5 is probably going to get revealed anywhere from late January to early March.

PS4 announcement: February 20th/21st, 2013 in New York.
(console was shown at E3 June 2013)

PS3: announced E3 2005

PS2 announcement: March 1st/2nd 1999 in Tokyo, as"Next Generation PlayStation", the technology (EE, GS) was detailed.
Console itself was revealed September 1999 at TGS.

PS-X/PS1 was revealed May 20th, 1994 in Tokyo.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Why would they announce it in Dec 3 when it's Christmas and want to sell as many PS4s as they can?

How about they reveal AND drop the ps4 to 200$ and the pro at 300$ to boost like crazy the sales for one last year before selling the ps5 at 450-500. Sounds about right to me

possible correction: the PlayStation, a mock-up it at least, was shown either May 10th or May 20th, 1994. Conflicting dates depending on the source, but definitely May of that year.

TLZ

Banned
How about they reveal AND drop the ps4 to 200$ and the pro at 300$ to boost like crazy the sales for one last year before selling the ps5 at 450-500. Sounds about right to me
But why would they do that? What would they gain revealing it at that time when people are out looking for current deals? Let Christmas do its thing, then reveal in Jan-Mar.

But why would they do that? What would they gain revealing it at that time when people are out looking for current deals? Let Christmas do its thing, then reveal in Jan-Mar.

People already know PS5 is on the way, so it won't hurt PS4 much (if at all) to announce it next month. The super-casuals who get wind are still gonna get PS4s because they're at least aware enough that PS5 will be priced too high for them to get at launch (and if they're only just getting PS4's now, they are probably price-conscious i.e not the early adopter type these companies aim for in the first 1-2 years of a new console release).

TLZ

Banned
People already know PS5 is on the way, so it won't hurt PS4 much (if at all) to announce it next month. The super-casuals who get wind are still gonna get PS4s because they're at least aware enough that PS5 will be priced too high for them to get at launch (and if they're only just getting PS4's now, they are probably price-conscious i.e not the early adopter type these companies aim for in the first 1-2 years of a new console release).
I understand. I still find it unnecessary to announce it right before the current holidays shopping period, especially that it won't be coming out until another year. Just let this shopping period ride out, then you have all year next year to tease and hype the PS5. No need to rush.

BUT, announcing full BC on the 3rd of Dec (PS1 anniversary, 25 years of PlayStation) in an article (possibly Wired) would be phenomenal. That would be good enough info til next year, imo.

Last edited:
I'm going to say E3 2020 we'll get a full reveal of PS5: final specs, price, and trailers for new games. This will give retailers about 5-6 months or so to prepare for the launch (E3 2020 is in June).

Late Q3 2020 (September?) the PS5 will be playable by the public (EGX in London, for example).

Q4 release. I'm going to guess mid-November.

I'll grab my machine in February / March 2021 :)

I still find it unnecessary to announce it right before the current holidays shopping period, especially that it won't be coming out until another year.

Aye. This would just cause confusion. I've a few work colleagues (PC gamers, so not keeping up with PS5 / Xbox Two info) who thought the PS5 was being released at the end of this year.

Reactions: TLZ

Imtjnotu

Was thinking of something earlier.

I hope that the controllers and headsets on PS5 all have quick charging. With phones we can get 50% in 20 minutes on phones now of days. Don't see why a controller can't fully charge in the same amount of time

Some folks talking about people already expecting the Ps5 like the mainstream cares, most just wanna play with his boys call of duty or fifa or (...) they dont come to gaf and websites to follow latest news when ps5 is due, anyway i dont see why they would diverge from their last succesful playstation 4 plan, so im expecting feb & e3 like ps4.
Did sony announced something coming in december (event) ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wonder if next consoles will support bluetooth headphones.
I wanted a wireless headphones for ps4 and pc for some time but just keep using koss porta pro connected to the controller.
I would get maybe Sony Golds but if they will not work with ps5 next year or be obsolete then what's the point. Spending even more for hyperx flight or similar wireless headsets is even more questionable as they are 3rd party so ps5 compatibility is probably out of the question

Last edited:

draliko

I wanted a wireless headphones for ps4 and pc for some time but just keep using koss porta pro connected to the controller.
I would get maybe Sony Golds but if they will not work with ps5 next year or be obsolete then what's the point. Spending even more for hyperx flight or similar wireless headsets is even more questionable as they are 3rd party so ps5 compatibility is probably out of the question
i'm totally with you on this one, also fastcharge (maybe wireless) would be a godsend. And please Sony , you have crazy talented guys on your audio departments, please make some damn nice headsets, not some cheap plastic rubbish thing. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Don't see why they wouldn't. Adding bluetooth 5.0 support would be practically pennies for them. They could also add Zigbee support while at it, for lower-power wireless on even smaller bandwidths for devices that support it. That way you aren't wasting watts on wifi or bluetooth for comms that don't need that amount power and bandwidth.

rəddəM

If I were Sony I wouldn't even mention PS5 until GoT and TLOU2 were released so that I could milk every last penny out of PS4 and make everybody buy remastered version for PS5.
Sony could make alot of money discounting PS4s, subscription and games.
But now with TLoU2 delayed to 2nd semester of 2020, everything is going to mix up.

FrostyJ93

If I were Sony I wouldn't even mention PS5 until GoT and TLOU2 were released so that I could milk every last penny out of PS4 and make everybody buy remastered version for PS5.
But now with TLoU2 delayed to 2nd semester of 2020, everything is going to mix up.

Does it honestly matter? Last of Us, Puppeteer and GT6 came out exclusively on PS3 months after PS4 was announced.

Fake

Maybe... but the price will the an important factor piece mind you. Unless they kill PS4, less reasons to get PS5 day one while crossgen still live.

FranXico

PS5 is sounding like its gonna be 399 more than ever

IMO if it's really gonna be 399$ this time as well, it's either yet again an underpowered system, or Sony will sell it at a loss knowing that PS+ will cover that with ease.
He said something along the lines of "changes" being made, so they probably made consessions to keep the price down.

I'd still be interested, but my own enthusiasm is going to be lessened somewhat.

FrostyJ93

I mean ps4 hardware sales, game sales, accessory sales, amd PS Now and Plus subs should be more than enough to cover PS5 losses I would imagine.

Last edited:

magnumpy

they could always come out with a lower end and a higher end PS5. the Switch does this right now with the regular and lite versions.

magnumpy

Switch is not a good example, since they have the exact same specs (Tegra X1 16nm). We don't have New Switch Pro yet.

the newer switch is cheaper to the end customer, which is the important part. the cost savings seems to come from things like having a smaller screen and non detachable controllers. as you said the internals seem to be similar if not identical.

Last edited:

rsouzadk

PS5 is sounding like its gonna be 399 more than ever

"As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks — probably our main task — is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before. "

"This comment alone seems to suggest that Sony aims to sell as many PS5 units as possible come launch day. That means it’ll likely manufacture as many consoles as possible until late 2020 — a rumor did say the console will launch in early December next year so Sony can stock up on AMD 7nm chips."

Last edited:
"As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks — probably our main task — is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before. "
TBH, I remember SpinningBirdKick saying the same thing... does anyone remember that? Quite prophetic on his part. :)

I cannot possibly imagine how they could accomplish that. Even $399 is not enough for casuals. They'll probably wait for 200-250-300 price points.

People seem to forget that the PS3 -> PS4 transition was rather fast, because Sony wanted to get rid of exotic parts (such as Cell and Rambus XDR) and exotic SPU programming. PS3 wasn't exactly cost-effective (we never saw a SoC version).

So why would they want to get rid of PS4 so fast, since it's so different compared to the PS3 (successful from day 1, streamlined programming, 100m install base etc)? To me it doesn't make much sense...

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
TBH, I remember SpinningBirdKick saying the same thing... does anyone remember that? Quite prophetic on his part. :)

I cannot possibly imagine how they could accomplish that. Even $399 is not enough for casuals. They'll probably wait for 200-250-300 price points.

People seem to forget that the PS3 -> PS4 transition was rather fast, because Sony wanted to get rid of exotic parts (such as Cell and Rambus XDR) and exotic SPU programming. PS3 wasn't exactly cost-effective (we never saw a SoC version).

So why would they want to get rid of PS4 so fast, since it's so different compared to the PS3 (successful from day 1, streamlined programming, 100m install base etc)? To me it doesn't make much sense...

They are worried about xbox catching up ( somewhat) and google and other streaming solutions ... taking their market share.

Messaging to shareholders is always part PR part truth.. they cant be pricing too high but its not going to be too low either ..i think they will go $500 or $520 bundled with 2 games.

Raploz

PlayStation Cartridge Patent Registered in Brazil by Sony Interactive Entertainment:

https://wccftech.com/playstation-ca...-in-brazil-by-sony-interactive-entertainment/

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing this is their proprietary memory for expanding storage on PS5. The title in portuguese says it is some kind of storage device, and can be roughy translated as "(54) Title: Configuration applied to a recording device and data storage device"

playstation-cartridge-application.jpg

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
liar.

he is saying:
" the easiest PlayStation to code for" - - not easiest console

this tricky sony morons like this guy fabricate nonstop fakes...

Here’s where that quote come from. All you had to do was scroll down a couple more posts to see it. I guess that would’ve been too much work or it didn’t fit your agenda. Doofus.

FrostyJ93

These days you sometimes need to download a whole game even when you bought standard disc version. Personally I would rather see better cooling in PS5 than BD drive.

You shouldn't have to pick. Sony should be able to give us both. If Xbox can do it so can PS.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Because you need that performance, and to get it you will need to use specific hardware to the fullest.
Using a PC and then pretend that consoles are just a "dumbed down PC" is a great cost saver, but I doesn't extract all the performance from the platform.
Right now PCs are used maybe to 20%-30%, usually bottlnecked at ROP/rt bandwidth level either by 4k or by 4k + AA.

Like right now Death Stranding on PS4 Pro looks so much better than RDR2 on PC, it's not even funny.
It looks "next gen" in comparison.

Thats' simply not true. Most games are shader bound these days and you can easily see that at 4k. There may be some low-level access to certain devices, but it's nowhere near what people are wishing these days. The magic bullet is over.

And I haven't seen Death Stranding on the PC. It's not out yet.

psorcerer

Banned
Thats' simply not true. Most games are shader bound these days and you can easily see that at 4k. There may be some low-level access to certain devices, but it's nowhere near what people are wishing these days. The magic bullet is over.

And I haven't seen Death Stranding on the PC. It's not out yet.

Shader bound means AMD should have better performance. Because more compute power. But that's not the case and there are all these silly "AMD vs Nvidia teraflops" arguments.
Teraflops are teraflops, doesn't matter who makes them.
Games on PC are usually CPU bound. That's why all the resolution race: artificially bump up amount of work for GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom