• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Think I got this right.

t1575360000z0.png

Ar¢tos

I doubt there will be an announcement, probably an article in some obscure gaming site, not even wired anymore. Something like jeuxactu or indiegamer.
Sony is going through a hippie phase.

ANIMAL1975

Gosh, I wonder what it could be? I'm going to suggest one great thing and one lame thing:

Great: Sony confirm PS3 disc games working on PS5 (inc. Demon's Souls). Feature will be made available within 1-2 month after launch via a system update.

Lame: Hellpoint dev confirms PS5 port.
You won’t get specs, you won’t get prices. Maybe they will throw us a bone with the release date.
Hellpoint Dev exclusive launch game! Believe!

So, 10% is the minimal?
And 99% the maximal!

Wouldn't trust that account. He has presented no evidence and no accurate leaks, yet.

Remember he also posted this, claiming we would see news on November 20th.

Wasn't this related to the release date? 20/11/20

TBiddy

Isn’t November 20th referring to the 2020 launch date since the price was also mentioned next to it?

That wouldn't make sense, since the poster keeps talking about 25th anniversary, "meticulously planned" and so on. The anniversary was in 2019 (PS1 was released in 1994), not in 2020.

CyberPanda

Banned
True. But no credible leaker would post like that. It's either a marketing stunt by Sony (not likely), a stunt by MS to build up peoples expectations (not likely) or some random dude enjoying his 10 minutes of fame.
I’m gonna guess it’s just some random dude tickling everyone’s nipples with a fine feather. I guess we’ll see if he’s right in three days.

Wouldn't trust that account. He has presented no evidence and no accurate leaks, yet.

Remember he also posted this, claiming we would see news on November 20th.

I think you misunderstood, he/she probably meant that the PS5 is destined to released in November 20th 2020.

That wouldn't make sense, since the poster keeps talking about 25th anniversary, "meticulously planned" and so on. The anniversary was in 2019 (PS1 was released in 1994), not in 2020.
Nope, check the dates:
3 December 1994 in Japan.

Just trying to connect the dots here. :)

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

This is what i dig from the thread (couldn't get any deeper since my shovel broke when we got in VFXveteran rocky PC derail terrain...

Any idea what he’s trying to say here aside from code names and price?

He also teased the date.
Could be something smaller like the full BC announcement tho.

Apparently this was announced in October but I completely missed it.

This is the date PSErebus was hinting at PS5 news and GTAVI possibly being shown.

Could be yes. I'm not sure what you're correcting. December 3rd 1994 was in 1994 as I wrote :)
I thought you meant the Anniversary date has already passed.

We still have a few days left to see if this leaker is credible or not, so I wouldn't discount him just yet.

ps: I still think we have controlled leaks from both sides. Blue nugroho probably belongs in the green side. PSErebus doesn't hide the company he works for.

TBiddy

I thought you meant the Anniversary date has already passed.

We still have a few days left to see if this leaker is credible or not, so I wouldn't discount him just yet.

ps: I still think we have controlled leaks from both sides. Blue nugroho probably belongs in the green side. PSErebus doesn't hide the company he works for.

Have never heard of blue nogroho, to be honest. And yes, PSErebus could be the real deal, but there's just something off about everything he writes.

mitchman

Gold Member
No. He actually confirmed it's not the case. He said "Both PS5/Scarlett have double digit performance (I.e. over 10.0TF) ". and "There is no double digit performance difference."
He was responding to me and thought I asked about double digit TF difference when I meant percentage, which was clarified later in the thread.

llien

999% if use Intel and Nvidia.
Because we haven't had consoles using chips by Intel or nVidia, and even after gargantuan gap between expectations on Switch hardware.
FUD can get company only that far.

Last edited:
Well, nobody has come out to challenge Klee. All the MS leakers that were so adamant that Anaconda had the power advantage has gone into hibernation.

Why would they? We've still got at least eight months before substantial tech info on the systems comes out officially, half that time before more sustainable rumors pop up. It's a game of patience and timing, essentially.

Other than that there's a ton of confirmation bias going on, I feel there are leakers on both sides playing into it. Logically speaking, going off previous trends, most would probably expect Scarlet to be slightly stronger. XBO-X seemed like MS recommitting themselves to the power game. They won't be making the same mistake with the One in terms of aiming for multimedia ahead of gaming performance; they know where that train took them...careening right off a cliffside. The rescue choppers almost have them back on the track, they don't want the rope cut off to fall toward their deaths.

Sony having the more powerful system would be good for marketing, but it's actually not something the PS family has needed historically. N64 was generally more powerful than PS1 but that didn't hurt Sony. Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful than PS2 but again, didn't hurt Sony. 360 had a better GPU and RAM setup than PS3 but in the end Sony managed to close the gap. PS4 is the only Sony console with a noticeable overall power advantage over its direct competitor and that came about through a good luck turn of GDDR5 production ramping up enough to double the RAM in the system late in the game. Otherwise the performance delta between vanilla PS4 and XBO would've been drastically smaller.

It's those reasons why I'm not surprised XBO-X was more powerful than PS4 Pro, and I wouldn't be surprised if Scarlet is more powerful than PS5. But it's as I said; Sony doesn't need the power advantage nearly as badly as MS does.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Why would they? We've still got at least eight months before substantial tech info on the systems comes out officially, half that time before more sustainable rumors pop up. It's a game of patience and timing, essentially.

Other than that there's a ton of confirmation bias going on, I feel there are leakers on both sides playing into it. Logically speaking, going off previous trends, most would probably expect Scarlet to be slightly stronger. XBO-X seemed like MS recommitting themselves to the power game. They won't be making the same mistake with the One in terms of aiming for multimedia ahead of gaming performance; they know where that train took them...careening right off a cliffside. The rescue choppers almost have them back on the track, they don't want the rope cut off to fall toward their deaths.

Sony having the more powerful system would be good for marketing, but it's actually not something the PS family has needed historically. N64 was generally more powerful than PS1 but that didn't hurt Sony. Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful than PS2 but again, didn't hurt Sony. 360 had a better GPU and RAM setup than PS3 but in the end Sony managed to close the gap. PS4 is the only Sony console with a noticeable overall power advantage over its direct competitor and that came about through a good luck turn of GDDR5 production ramping up enough to double the RAM in the system late in the game. Otherwise the performance delta between vanilla PS4 and XBO would've been drastically smaller.

It's those reasons why I'm not surprised XBO-X was more powerful than PS4 Pro, and I wouldn't be surprised if Scarlet is more powerful than PS5. But it's as I said; Sony doesn't need the power advantage nearly as badly as MS does.

Xbox x was more powerful bcus it came out over a year later and at a higher price. It would have been suicide to release an X a year later at same power level and higher price as pro lol Plus Microsoft needed something to deflate the thrashing it was getting abd have a good PR talking point. This wasn't a hardware miracle, it was par the course.

Again most leaks point to ps5 being more powerful and it wouldn't be surprising. Microsoft doesn't have unlimited funds, doesn't make more I. Gaming, doesn't have miracle engineers and can't guarantee shit. Sony has been in the console space longer, have been playing chess and winning and also want all the adva rages me tioned and will aim for it. Thy were clever for ps4 launch and will continue to try to upstage, in the end what matters us whose willing to take a biggeross if anything and what they are willing to offer relative to pricing. None of them know each other's pricing and final specs but both are trying to come out on top.

Xbox x was more powerful bcus it came out over a year later and at a higher price. It would have been suicide to release an X a year later at same power level and higher price as pro lol Plus Microsoft needed something to deflate the thrashing it was getting abd have a good PR talking point. This wasn't a hardware miracle, it was par the course.

Again most leaks point to ps5 being more powerful and it wouldn't be surprising. Microsoft doesn't have unlimited funds, doesn't make more I. Gaming, doesn't have miracle engineers and can't guarantee shit. Sony has been in the console space longer, have been playing chess and winning and also want all the adva rages me tioned and will aim for it. Thy were clever for ps4 launch and will continue to try to upstage, in the end what matters us whose willing to take a biggeross if anything and what they are willing to offer relative to pricing. None of them know each other's pricing and final specs but both are trying to come out on top.

Whether X came out a year later or not is kind of irrelevant; the only company that's released hardware after its competitors within the same gen that's been weaker has been Nintendo (and in those cases it clearly went well for them, i.e the Wii). It doesn't change that it was more powerful, and they did other things beyond the general expectations, such as 12GB vs 8GB.

We know some of those leaks are fake; we also know that some of these could be controlled leaks. I would say that very few of them are providing anything substantial to what we'll actually get with either console. So there's not a ton of stock to put in the majority of the leaks in all honesty.

Yes MS doesn't have unlimited funds, they won't make a magical warchest by pulling from their other divisions. That said, they still have more resources than Sony. While Sony's been in consoles longer, it hasn't really been that much longer, and if we're just talking gaming in general, Microsoft has actually been in the gaming hardware business longer than Sony, when you go back to the MSX computer line of the early 1980s (though Sony did make MSX systems so by that note the two have been in the market for gaming-adjacent hardware for about the same time).

Sony's cleverness with PS4 launch was in capitalizing on MS's failures in messaging. If you take that part away there was not much they said that was really megaton or a revelation other than the surprise increase to 8GB of GDDR5. Mentioning things like no 24-hour online DRM check would never have gotten anywhere near the applause it got if MS hadn't tainted the then-next gen pool of expectations with their ridiculous talk. In truth PS4 and XBO are strikingly similar in being gaming machines AND multimedia hubs, Sony just had the foresight to not market the latter after seeing how that was working out for MS plus how it gave them troubles with PS3 early on in that system's lifespan.

I agree with saying it will ultimately come down to who has the better pricing and is willing to take the larger loss at the beginning; I also don't like the idea that MS may be going with the cheaper Lockhart right out of the gate. I can only see that working if it's a $200 streaming-centric system; anything else and it will potentially hold back full exploitation of Scarlet's hardware, whatever that ends up being. And aside from a few things like possible SSD controller specs and amount of RAM, PS5 and Scarlet are going to be virtually identical in performance or if there is a gap, it'll be less than 10%.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Whether X came out a year later or not is kind of irrelevant; the only company that's released hardware after its competitors within the same gen that's been weaker has been Nintendo (and in those cases it clearly went well for them, i.e the Wii). It doesn't change that it was more powerful, and they did other things beyond the general expectations, such as 12GB vs 8GB.

We know some of those leaks are fake; we also know that some of these could be controlled leaks. I would say that very few of them are providing anything substantial to what we'll actually get with either console. So there's not a ton of stock to put in the majority of the leaks in all honesty.

Yes MS doesn't have unlimited funds, they won't make a magical warchest by pulling from their other divisions. That said, they still have more resources than Sony. While Sony's been in consoles longer, it hasn't really been that much longer, and if we're just talking gaming in general, Microsoft has actually been in the gaming hardware business longer than Sony, when you go back to the MSX computer line of the early 1980s (though Sony did make MSX systems so by that note the two have been in the market for gaming-adjacent hardware for about the same time).

Sony's cleverness with PS4 launch was in capitalizing on MS's failures in messaging. If you take that part away there was not much they said that was really megaton or a revelation other than the surprise increase to 8GB of GDDR5. Mentioning things like no 24-hour online DRM check would never have gotten anywhere near the applause it got if MS hadn't tainted the then-next gen pool of expectations with their ridiculous talk. In truth PS4 and XBO are strikingly similar in being gaming machines AND multimedia hubs, Sony just had the foresight to not market the latter after seeing how that was working out for MS plus how it gave them troubles with PS3 early on in that system's lifespan.

I agree with saying it will ultimately come down to who has the better pricing and is willing to take the larger loss at the beginning; I also don't like the idea that MS may be going with the cheaper Lockhart right out of the gate. I can only see that working if it's a $200 streaming-centric system; anything else and it will potentially hold back full exploitation of Scarlet's hardware, whatever that ends up being. And aside from a few things like possible SSD controller specs and amount of RAM, PS5 and Scarlet are going to be virtually identical in performance or if there is a gap, it'll be less than 10%.

Don't agree with the Nintendo mention and example. Thts the norm with Nintendo now and haven't been in a power race with Microsoft or Sony for years. My point of X coming out over a year later and higher price and being more powerful par the course still stands. Ps4 was more powerful Than og Xbox on release alignment. Don't be surprised if it is the same situation again.

BTW we all have heard the same rumors and murmurs of ppl saying tht the power will be almost negligible. Tht is already embedded in our skulls, at this point its an expectation.

Frankly I enjoy all this speculation and can't wait to see what's under the hood in both consoles.

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

Whenever Modern Warfare updates on PS4 for me it takes forever to copy the file.

I cannot wait for SSD-powered instant boot ups.

Mass Shift

If Lockhart turns out to be the mobile device that I also suspect it may be, then a lot of things about their proposed 2 console strategy will make a lot more sense.

If it's a mobile device then that means it won't have the juice to run games locally which means it'll be a streaming-orientated solution, meaning Scarlet itself won't be held back by it.

IMO that's preferable to a $300 "entry-level" system designed to run games locally at Low quality settings. Especially if Scarlett is $500. If Scarlet ends up being $400 then MS would be wasting BOM on Lockharts not selling in volume because most early adopters would have zero issues coughing up an extra $100 for a substantially better system in the product family.

FranXico

IMO that's preferable to a $300 "entry-level" system designed to run games locally at Low quality settings. Especially if Scarlett is $500. If Scarlet ends up being $400 then MS would be wasting BOM on Lockharts not selling in volume because most early adopters would have zero issues coughing up an extra $100 for a substantially better system in the product family.
$300 is way too much for a pure stream device. It would ideally cost $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom