• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
“As far as I was told, this is DICE's attempt to bring Battlefield back to it's roots, with the team taking a lot of notes from BF2 and BF3. Development is in full swing and the game is hoping to launch in holidays of 2021 for PS5, Project Scarlett and PC. “

Thedtrain

“As far as I was told, this is DICE's attempt to bring Battlefield back to it's roots, with the team taking a lot of notes from BF2 and BF3. Development is in full swing and the game is hoping to launch in holidays of 2021 for PS5, Project Scarlett and PC. “

Hopefully true. Haven’t played the last 2 BF games. Absolutely loved 3 and to a lesser extent 4.

Fake

I would be happy with Battlefield 3 remaster, but is great if they back to roots too just like CoD.

Audiophile

Xbox Scart-lead - we in da future now!

Scart is Retro?!

I'm only approaching 30 and feeling old as hell. :messenger_loudly_crying:

-------
-------

On the subject of Klee, he's been around a long time and seems legit, while I still take things with a grain of salt, he's about as trustworthy as you can get for a leaker.

According to him, we're looking at both consoles over 10.0TF (RDNA) with less than 10% power differential, VRS (Variable Rate Shading) on both and while both will feature fast SSD implementations, Sony's is looking to be a very fast, custom solution.

If this is the case, these consoles are looking much better than we expected a year or two ago, paired with well clocked 8C/16T Zen2+ CPUs, major bottlenecks aren't looking likely. My only concern at this point is will there be enough RAM and Bandwidth; and what is the storage expansion situation...?

I'm fine with proprietary solutions as long as they're reasonably priced as I understand it's may be required to provide devs with a known spec to maximise performance, though my dream solution would be ~100GB ReRAM as a scratchpad paired with a standard, user-replaceable 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD!

$300 is way too much for a pure stream device. It would ideally cost $200.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too, if Lockhart turns out to be real at all that is.

Scart is Retro?!

I'm only approaching 30 and feeling old as hell. :messenger_loudly_crying:

-------
-------

On the subject of Klee, he's been around a long time and seems legit, while I still take things with a grain of salt, he's about as trustworthy as you can get for a leaker.

According to him, we're looking at both consoles over 10.0TF (RDNA) with less than 10% power differential, VRS (Variable Rate Shading) on both and while both will feature fast SSD implementations, Sony's is looking to be a very fast, custom solution.

If this is the case, these consoles are looking much better than we expected a year or two ago, paired with well clocked 8C/16T Zen2+ CPUs, major bottlenecks aren't looking likely. My only concern at this point is will there be enough RAM and Bandwidth; and what is the storage expansion situation...?

I'm fine with proprietary solutions as long as they're reasonably priced as I understand it's may be required to provide devs with a known spec to maximise performance, though my dream solution would be ~100GB ReRAM as a scratchpad paired with a standard, user-replaceable 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD!

Still wondering just how fast this custom SSD solution from Sony could actually get. The cartridge rumors had me going, and before that some of the possible SSG-like talk others were bringing up. Their custom solution (whatever it is) seems it'll be much closer to the latter than the former though (which could've possibly featured ReRAM).

Maybe there is a small chance they will still integrate some storage-class ReRAM on the motherboard directly and the SSD is NVMe-compliant over PCIe 4.0. Basically, what you're suggesting xD (tho I think they'd go with 128 GB ReRAM because that works better as a multiple of 2 on Base 2 (binary) than 100 GB would, unless that's more like 100 GB usable for games...realistically would prob be more like 104 for games/ 24 for OS).

If that's the case and the next Xbox doesn't have an integrated/on-board ReRAM/3D Xpoint PCM-style setup too, there's going to be some unfortunate (for Scarlet) performance gaps coming into next-gen. But I'm confident MS wouldn't miss that boat if they had an inkling Sony was doing such a thing.

Last edited:
Yes, but it is way higher than current flash ram like NAND that is standard at the moment for flash memory.

This is expected to eventually replace NAND. Some are pushing for DRAM replacement as well.

Technically it's between ReRAM and MRAM for future possibilities in that regard; some research even suggests MRAM in particular could act as a replacement for SRAM at some point. From what I've seen MRAM has the better chance of acting as a DRAM replacement over ReRAM, going by charts like these:

memory6.png

memory2.png

(ReRAM is referred to as RRAM in the 2nd chart)

As far as write endurance is concerned, it's so high on both of these technologies (and similar related memories) that at least in terms of consumer entertainment devices, it almost doesn't matter. And they both can scale down lower than NAND as well.

Last edited:

emmerrei

So, the big hole in the DS5 is a touchpad after all of that is just a regular DS4?
Considering on the console itself seems to be a little screen, i guess that the controllers are probably going to have a screen on them, and the one on the devkit is here to debug stuff before the final controller with the screens is complete and available for the dev's.

Last edited:

Fake

Considering on the console itself seems to be a little screen, i guess that the controllers are probably going to have a screen on them, and the one on the devkit is here to debug stuff before the final controller with the screens is complete and available for the dev's.
I saw the picture in the smatphone and for me looks more like DS4 touchpad.

Sony is really playing dumb if that shit is a screen. Battery will again turn into ashes. Even Macbook with that touch screen was a hungry monster.

emmerrei

I saw the picture in the smatphone and for me looks more like DS4 touchpad.

Sony is really playing dumb if that shit is a screen. Battery will again turn into ashes. Even Macbook with that touch screen was a hungry monster.
An e-ink display on a pad would be more than fine, and it will impact the battery pratically zero. Newer e-ink display are also in color and with a high refreshrate, but they're probably expensive. At the end of the day, it's more probable a standard lcd than a e-ink display, for the same reasons i already said. Cost.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Moment of truth if he is actually in the know.

Want to surprise Sony? LOL

What a stupid thing to say, the design process of the silicon, and taping of it take years in advance of planning. Also AMD and TSMC take those orders years prior . Its not like Sony can whip anything fast as a reaction to MS.

This guy is simply dumb , he was the one who said Xbox is "Arcturus " Lol.

Exactly! These kits are pretty much set. Just need to be tuned and optimized.

demigod

What a stupid thing to say, the design process of the silicon, and taping of it take years in advance of planning. Also AMD and TSMC take those orders years prior . Its not like Sony can whip anything fast as a reaction to MS.

Isn't this dude a huge MS fanboy?

Fake

An e-ink display on a pad would be more than fine, and it will impact the battery pratically zero. Newer e-ink display are also in color and with a high refreshrate, but they're probably expensive. At the end of the day, it's more probable a standard lcd than a e-ink display, for the same reasons i already said. Cost.
Sony put a bigger battery on DS5, so is almost sure will be a battery hungry feature on DS5.
If will be the screen or not idk, but by the Apple Macbook screen function button problems thats my guess.

Last edited:

ManaByte

That's exactly what happened with the Saturn and PlayStation.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Every gen the theories come out and every Gen ppl get let down. I still

Beyond tht they are both holding their console specs close to their chest. We all remember Sony surprising Microsoft with the memory situation. His comment comes off like a fanboy shill like "oh Microsoft is trying to surprise" dick they are both trying to keep their specs secret lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom