• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I agree and tom warren implies lockhart lives.

And that it may be all digital.

jTojXeL.png

MadAnon

How about you read the post that includes a trusted insider from the verge?
A trusted insider who spreads fake devkit specs - proving he doesn't know shit. But now he tells the devkits will be much better and MS is holding back their secret sauce for a surprise - pretending he knows about specs.

I can't believe people are so easily manipulated by a known MS shill.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

A trusted insider who spreads fake devkit specs - proving he doesn't know shit. But now he tells the devkits will be much better and MS is holding back their secret sauce for a surprise - pretending he knows about specs.

I can't believe people are so easily manipulated by a known MS shill.

If a so called "insider" is telling people what they want to hear...................manipulation becomes very easy. If the insider is telling people something they DON'T want to hear they just go find someone else more in line with their desired expectations.

Leakers and insiders revel in the attention they receive. I imagine it must be a real head trip having entire forums and communities hanging on your every word.

FrostyJ93

I feel like people who are against lockhart are not seeing the bigger picture or are just refusing to accept the new direction of Xbox.

I like PlayStation, but I hope the Xbox dominates next-gen just to humble some people in both forums.
I mean, if MS actually offers superior gaming experiences, then I wouldn't complain. The issue is that Microsoft as a whole is not reliant on Xbox and as such they have less of a stake in the game. Playstation is a huge percentage of Sony's revenue these days, as such the company is liable to go all in for next gen. MS will never go all-in for Xbox because the money is better spent in other sectors.

In fact, what MS needs is to learn to be humble. Just as Nintendo learned that they messed up with the WiiU and had to earn the trust of their customers back.

Wait, so Xbox Scarlett dev kits don't exist yet? That could only mean that devs are working on Windows PCs with "target specs". If that's the case, some launch games could end up being downgraded or underperforming due to not taking advance of the hardware.

Wait, so Xbox Scarlett dev kits don't exist yet? That could only mean that devs are working on Windows PCs with "target specs". If that's the case, some launch games could end up being downgraded or underperforming due to not taking advance of the hardware.
We already know that all current Scarlet games are also compatible with Xbox One. We don't know which came first, the lack of a Scarlet devkit or the requirement that the game run on Xb1S. But either way, the existence of a Scarlet devkit is unnecessary if the Xbox One is the base console the game is developed for.

We already know that all current Scarlet games are also compatible with Xbox One. We don't know which came first, the lack of a Scarlet devkit or the requirement that the game run on Xb1S. But either way, the existence of a Scarlet devkit is unnecessary if the Xbox One is the base console the game is developed for.
We already know that all current PS5 games are also compatible with PS4.

No, only MS told us that there would not be any Scarlet exclusive games in the near future. That Scarlet games all had to run on XB1S hardware too,

Sony had not said anything of the sort, Sony had not announced any PS5 games, period. As such one could safely assume they are continuing the tradition of making next gen (PS5) exclusives like they did since the PS2.

This is the major strategic divergence between the two companies. You can argue about which being better than the other, but either way the difference is there.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Who knows MS could have a disadvantage in every area or an advantage in every or even an advantage in just one , maybe the only area that I see an advantage is in dedicated ray tracing , as they designed DXR, but maybe that’s enough to produce more detailed visuals.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Even Phil said it doesn’t exist.

Well Phil went out of his way to not give a direct answer about Lockhart (and also described the Scarlett dev kit just going out as 'another console'!) during X019.

You had talked about new future Xbox consoles plural. But I think you're talking about Project Scarlett in the singular now. We've heard about this Scarlett lite, or Project Lockhart. Can you put this to bed and say you are definitely not making that? Are you still doing new Xboxes plural, as you've said in the past?

Phil Spencer:
Will I say I'm not doing something? We're focused on Project Scarlett and delivering a high performance console. There's no doubt about that. I will never remove options for us. When we launched Xbox One, would I have predicted S would have come? Or X would have come? Or the All-Digital edition would have come, which frankly is doing well, which is good to see. We also did just ship the development kit, which is another console.

But you know what I mean when I say Xbox consoles plural.

Phil Spencer:
I know what you're saying, but I will say from the team's perspective, shipping the dev kit is as much work as shipping a retail product. You're shipping thousands of them out to partners. It is a dedicated piece of plastic they're gonna plug in and develop for. It's just a tonne of work. So I won't remove options from the future.

I will say, from the launch of Xbox One, I've definitely learned that being too expensive and not powerful enough is not a great place to be. And price and performance are gonna be important, and we're very focused on both of those things.

FrostyJ93

I imagine they'll retain the color scheme from One S/X. White for Lockhart and black for Anaconda. Anaconda probably same size as one x and lockhart a little smaller.

MS is going to release 2 consoles, a 1440/4k console and a 1080p console who will run next gen games at 1080p, you get the same experience at 1080p on both.
Well since we know the immediate future would not have any Scarlet exclusives, then it really doesn't matter whether Lockhart exists or not. Both Lockhart and Scarlet would be held back by Xbox One regardless.

Last edited:
No, no, no, no, no...

This would only pertain to first party and developers who have an interests in cross-generational games. There will be games day one which don't work on Xbox One, there will be games day one that don't work on PlayStation 4.

Nickolaidas

Banned
If the PS5 gets released worldwide on the 20th of November in 2020, when do you estimate the majority of retailers will have it available for pre-order?

Last edited:
No, no, no, no, no...

This would only pertain to first party and developers who have an interests in cross-generational games. There will be games day one which don't work on Xbox One, there will be games day one that don't work on PlayStation 4.
PS5 will have first party game exclusives. Because Sony never said they would do otherwise.
Scarlet, however, was announced to have no 1st party Scarlet exclusives. That they would all run on 1S in the short term.

Third party? Third party would almost certainly run cross gen in at least the first year, unless the platform holder commission a game from them to do otherwise. 2nd party, in other words.

ANIMAL1975

I mean Xbox has not dominated any gen why would they do that next gen with PS4 having a 100+ million install base?
And almost certainly launching with Knack3 for the kill
plus, and don't ask me why, i got a felling Bluepoint Remake is Knack _ remember Jim Ryans words: fastest generation transition in Playstation history...

I feel like people who are against lockhart are not seeing the bigger picture or are just refusing to accept the new direction of Xbox.
But that's because the 'new Xbox direction' is still a little blurry no? There was this vision that there wasn't going to be more generations at some point in Xbox X launch window, all devices are Xbox family no one left behind, hardware sales doesn't matter it's all about subscribers and number of active players. Now that we getting to the next generation/new hardware incoming, the official message is hardware matters _ we are not going to commit the same mistakes of Xbox One launch, no cutting back on power and price advantage. We are committed in Xcloud but console generations are not going anywhere. There will be Scarlett exclusives...

Aceofspades

Banned

I agree and tom warren implies lockhart lives.

Dude, All the so called insiders in the other place are just a bunch of nerds looking for their minute of fame, with the exception of "Matt" who said basically nothing, and "Klee" who at least sourced his info and was clear. The others are basically what I described above.

Colbert: a MS shill with inflated ego who thinks he acquired some classified doc from someone (in his doc , Lockhart lives). He has this annoying personality and he create this charts and treat them as facts ( he always claims accurate facts, then stealth edits them later )

Tomwarren: another Shill that is speculating just like anyone, he is a senior editor at the Verge , so he gets a pass with all bullshit he says . He said "Arcturus " 🤣

Klee: has explained himself well and is the only one who doesn't talk cryptic language used by those nerds.

Matt: he seems in the know but he hasn't said anything of substance.

As for people in that tweet?! Are you serious taking any info from Colt and Timdog ? They are still preaching the 2nd dGpu for Xbox one and Zen processor for 1X

C'mon man

Edit: also notice how their info started contradicting each other but since they are all so high in the mod hierarchy there (and the political views), they get a free pass for all the bullshit said there. That place is full of all types of info , its inevitable that some will be right. Its a shit storm .

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Scarlett kits unnecessary? Current Scarlett games? Look I get when people have opinions about things and share their thoughts on them. But it's just as important to not lose proper perspective when your sharing your views to the point of being ridiculously dismissive.

No Scarlett dev kits. Gezzus 😂

Scarlett kits unnecessary? Current Scarlett games? Look I get when people have opinions about things and share their thoughts on them. But it's just as important to not lose proper perspective when your sharing your views to the point of being ridiculously dismissive.

No Scarlett dev kits. Gezzus 😂
I am not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about the recent announcement that Microsoft would not make any first party Scarlet exclusives in the immediate future. Combine that with the fact that third party studios tending to go cross gen for as long as possible, and we have the result that Scarlet would have no exclusive titles period. If all Scarlet games need to run on Xbox One hardware, then it is more important to make sure the game runs on XB1.

I mean, if MS actually offers superior gaming experiences, then I wouldn't complain. The issue is that Microsoft as a whole is not reliant on Xbox and as such they have less of a stake in the game. Playstation is a huge percentage of Sony's revenue these days, as such the company is liable to go all in for next gen. MS will never go all-in for Xbox because the money is better spent in other sectors.

In fact, what MS needs is to learn to be humble. Just as Nintendo learned that they messed up with the WiiU and had to earn the trust of their customers back.
Every person that works in the Xbox division relies on their paycheck. I’m sure they don’t want Xbox to just disappear. That goes for both the hardware side and especially the 1st party side. No one there want ls to be considered expendable.

With them focusing on games and power this time around sort of proves they’ve been humbled and don’t want a repeat of Xbox One. Phil has been turning that ship around and hopefully we see the fruits of his labor come E3 2020.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I am not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about the recent announcement that Microsoft would not make any first party Scarlet exclusives in the immediate future. Combine that with the fact that third party studios tending to go cross gen for as long as possible, and we have the result that Scarlet would have no exclusive titles period. If all Scarlet games need to run on Xbox One hardware, then it is more important to make sure the game runs on XB1.

I'll say it again more clearly this time. Your opinions are not facts. Just because YOU say Scarlett won't have exclusives doesn't make it so.

You're reaching.

Bani

You haven't heard of updates

I'll say it again more clearly this time. Your opinions are not facts. Just because YOU say Scarlett won't have exclusives doesn't make it so.

You're reaching.

Someone missed an entire thread about it.

I don't think Lockhart is a good idea, not this early in the lifespan for next-gen anyway. All Lockhart resources are resources that could be going to Scarlet instead, and early adopters (the people who buy consoles at launch and within the first year or two) aren't THAT price-conscious.

Truth is, most early adopters are willing to pay a premium if the offering can justify the price (and the marketing communicates that). Previous systems that struggled at high prices (Xbox One, Wii U (relative to PS3 and 360 prices at the time), PS3, Sega Saturn, 3DO etc.) didn't so much struggle because of their price, but because for one reason or another they either did not offer added value to justify their premium or did not market their value effectively, or both.

People may want to consider the Neo-Geo in that camp but in actuality that system was always targeted at a small niche market and built for it, and sold pretty well for the market it aimed at. That's because compared to its contemporaries it had a very noticeable value to justify the premium in terms of hardware power, and capitalized on a genre that was blowing up in popularity at that time.

People wouldn't have an issue paying $599 for a Scarlet (or PS5) at launch and within the first year or so if it offered an experience to justify the premium. Great, consistent 1st party releases, strong 3rd party support, robust online, solid multimedia apps, great selection of features etc. Instead I'm worried now a $300 Lockhart won't look like too much of a value compared to a $450 (or even $399) PS5, and if Lockhart's sucking up resources from Scarlet, that means less Scarlets to manufacture and whatever power advantage it has will be lessened because of Lockhart. And it'll look REALLY bad if Scarlet has no power advantage or is less powerful than PS5 but priced similarly or somewhat more expensive, because early adopters will quickly realize that focus by 1st parties has to be split between Lockhart and Scarlet so Scarlet never gets fully taken advantage of, and they might as well spend the extra $100-$150 on a PS5.

I don't see the point in pushing Lockhart day-and-date with Scarlet, not the way it sounds like it'll be. If they REALLY want to target the price-conscious, push that upgrade program plan they talked about earlier, or make Lockhart a streaming-only device at $150-$200 max. At least then the only thing holding it back (and by relation, Scarlet) is the end user's internet speed and any issues with the Azure servers. They'd still be getting a 4K/30 gaming experience somewhat on parity with the Scarlet (but obviously not as good). They can worry about a Scarlet hardware revision a couple of years down the line to streamline the process and sell it for cheaper; that'll eventually get more of the masses on board. Worked for many other systems in previous generations, no need to change that now.

The size and coloring reminds me of a Hewlett-Packard PC I had back in the early '00s. So grey, and so THICC!

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Every person that works in the Xbox division relies on their paycheck. I’m sure they don’t want Xbox to just disappear. That goes for both the hardware side and especially the 1st party side. No one there want ls to be considered expendable.

With them focusing on games and power this time around sort of proves they’ve been humbled and don’t want a repeat of Xbox One. Phil has been turning that ship around and hopefully we see the fruits of his labor come E3 2020.

Nope. The person you're talking with thinks that Xbox Scarlett dev kits arent unnecessary. MS doesn't need to release them at all because there will be no Scarlett exclusives.

Most individuals would intelligently conclude that MS is going to properly scale for Scarlett, and that Xbox One/S/X users not having to re-purchase any games they already bought during the Scarlett launch window is an added incentive once they upgrade.

But that simple logic for some reason just can't be applied in this situation 🤷

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom