• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lockhart exists it will most likely release a year or 2 down the line during the slim phase of every consoles life.

That's the plan, hopefully. But it's being mentioned so much so early makes me think it is an initiative for the launch phase of their next-gen.

Thoughts? Dont think there'll be cameras and im sure there'll be more vents but overall looks great and a nice refinement of the devkit design.

Kinda looks like a Canon scanner x3. But, it does look good. Might not favor a vertical orientation though (or if it does, it'd be asymmetrical).

Last edited:

Fake

a4Yll8m.jpg

Well... This is a little worrying.

Well... This is a little worrying.

Tom Warren hasn’t really been wrong in the past. I’ll take his word for it. In reality, both companies have their shills, but only Microsoft’s get called out. Also, Microsoft is usually pretty good with dev tools and quite frankly we should only be worried about 1st party since 3rd party developers Only matter so much. It’s not like Sony is suddenly going to have Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, Batterfield or any other huge game as an exclusive. Plus, so long as they develop games using UWP, or GameCore compiling for the next-gen Xbox will be simple. Let’s face it, they make scaling very simple for devs.

I really like the look of that.

Last edited:

demigod

Dude, All the so called insiders in the other place are just a bunch of nerds looking for their minute of fame, with the exception of "Matt" who said basically nothing, and "Klee" who at least sourced his info and was clear. The others are basically what I described above.

Colbert: a MS shill with inflated ego who thinks he acquired some classified doc from someone (in his doc , Lockhart lives). He has this annoying personality and he create this charts and treat them as facts ( he always claims accurate facts, then stealth edits them later )

Tomwarren: another Shill that is speculating just like anyone, he is a senior editor at the Verge , so he gets a pass with all bullshit he says . He said "Arcturus " 🤣

Klee: has explained himself well and is the only one who doesn't talk cryptic language used by those nerds.

Matt: he seems in the know but he hasn't said anything of substance.

As for people in that tweet?! Are you serious taking any info from Colt and Timdog ? They are still preaching the 2nd dGpu for Xbox one and Zen processor for 1X

C'mon man

Edit: also notice how their info started contradicting each other but since they are all so high in the mod hierarchy there (and the political views), they get a free pass for all the bullshit said there. That place is full of all types of info , its inevitable that some will be right. Its a shit storm .

He's denying he talked about it being Arcturus now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He's denying he talked about it being Arcturus now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I honestly can’t find anything where Tom Warren mentions Arcturus. Anyone care to find where he stated that the Xbox would use Arcturus? Very odd that only Microsoft has shills as well.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Don't personally know Tom Warren from a hole in the ground, but not sure this old tweet discredits his recent quotes. It's actually very likely earlier Dev kits were in fact running Vega (Arcturus) as Navi was likely not ready for those earlier Kits. Wouldn't 14 tflops translate down to an 11 tflop Navi Chip (seems a reasonable target for Anaconda).

Also RE his most recent tweets. I'm not sure Microsoft coming in later than Sony with advanced dev kits contradicts the idea of them wanting to 'surprise' Sony. More advanced versions of their Dev kits could be late exactly for this reason; so they can squeeze every last bit of tech/upclock/ram, etc into them. Who knows, they might have even revised their specs up a bit. All I'm saying is it's hard to tell if what he is saying is true or not but the narrative seems reasonable enough.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Don't personally know Tom Warren from a hole in the ground, but not sure this old tweet discredits his recent quotes. It's actually very likely earlier Dev kits were in fact running Vega (Arcturus) as Navi was likely not ready for those earlier Kits. Wouldn't 14 tflops translate down to an 11 tflop Navi Chip (seems a reasonable target for Anaconda).

Also RE his most recent tweets. I'm not sure Microsoft coming in later than Sony with advanced dev kits contradicts the idea of them wanting to 'surprise' Sony. More advanced versions of their Dev kits could be late exactly for this reason; so they can squeeze every last bit of tech/upclock/ram, etc into them. Who knows, they might have even revised their specs up a bit. All I'm saying is it's hard to tell if what he is saying it's true or not but the narrative seems reasonable enough.
It's not really a GPU in traditional sense. It's a Vega gpu optimised for general computing (science, engineering etc.) instead of pushing pixels. It's a GPU that doesn't even have display output. It basically sucks at gaming compared to Vega 56/64.

And one dev already said the target specs are known even if there's no final devkit. So this "MS is hiding secret sauce to surprise Sony" is just fanboy non-sense. Some of them are probably still looking for that secret 2nd GPU in Xbox One.

Last edited:

nowhat

kinda looks like an IP !?
It does, but insofar as I can read it (low-res image + jpeg compression), it seems to be 10.x.x.x i.e. a private internal network. Whoever leaked that is probably safe for now.

(WRT tracing the IP back to where the image originated, there may be other identifying features in the image)

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
IF, if lockheart is back im convinced Microsoft have no idea, long term plan, or vision for their next gen console. If Lockheart is back this is another example, like they've done all generation, of throwing crap against the wall to see/hope something sticks. Theyve abandoned the advice and wishes of third party developers on this, are writing off potential future technology like VR, with nothing to replace it, and betting their entire future on cloud streaming when there isnt any clear demand from a large portion of consumers. I beleive we are looking at a Sega Saturn to Sega Dreamcast transition and fall right here.

Last edited:
IF, if lockheart is back im convinced Microsoft have no idea, long term plan, or vision for their next gen console. If Lockheart is back this is another example, like they've done all generation, of throwing crap against the wall to see/hope something sticks. Theyve abandoned the advice and wishes of third party developers on this, are writing off potential future technology like VR, with nothing to replace it, and betting their entire future on cloud streaming when there isnt any clear demand from a large portion of consumers. I beleive we are looking at a Sega Saturn to Sega Dreamcast transition and fall right here.
I don't think 3rd party devs really care about VR in the console space. But 1080p vs 4k is a thing. You need significantly less power to drive next gen games at 1080p. That doesn't really hurt anyone and you can have the same sized games with the same features and everything with similar fidelity simply at a lower resolution. It will not hurt the scope and scale of the games when the only thing that changes is resolution.

Last edited:

Tqaulity

I don't think 3rd party devs really care about VR in the console space. But 1080p vs 4k is a thing. You need significantly less power to drive next gen games at 1080p. That doesn't really hurt anyone and you can have the same sized games with the same features and everything with similar fidelity simply at a lower resolution. It will not hurt the scope and scale of the games when the only thing that changes is resolution.
True, as long as the CPU and memory sizes are the same that is. If it's only a larger faster GPU in Scarlet, then it shouldn't make a big difference.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

In regards to third party, the rumor was MS was told by third parties that Lockheart over complicates things and is a hassle to develop for with new consoles. The VR comment was another line of thought, not sure why you combined it.

PSGames

Lockheart (if it exists) is exactly the bold move they need to take on Sony. People talked shit about the Xbox 360 sticking with DVD but it was one of the smartest moves they made that helped them with pricing and thus helped with reaching more consumers that generation. Having a console that sticks to 1080p (which the vast majority of consumers own) I feel would have a similar impact if priced $100+ less than the other consoles. Tackle the high end with Scarlett. Same games on both. Win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom