• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the SSD is what worries me most about the SX. If they can’t match the PS5 one, or at least get pretty damn close, I feel it’s game over.

The trouble for me is that the next generation won’t be on the ray tracing battle ground, or the flops background, but which has the best SSD.

Still, MS provided kits late, and there’s a long time to change something like this still. Stranger things have happened. Let’s just hope MS get the right idea.
We still have to see 1 game that truly uses an SSD to its complete potential. I know loading times will be over, but even if the PS5's SSD is quicker than XSX SSD, I still have to see a game that shows the huge impact it might have you are making it out to be.

B0xel-new

Neo Member
I’ve been following this Thread for quite some time now, and I really wish Mods would have a zero tolerance policy for people claiming they have inside knowledge and aren’t willing to provide sufficient verification. You got a bunch of people just riding whatever rumor they hear with the rest of us and pretending they have sources like this Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher guy. The rumor about a Sony acquisition has been circulating for more than a week now, there’s even a thread about if for god sakes. Seriously guy this is just sad, how bad is your life that you have to do this to feel an inkling of fake importance? And if you are really an “insider” (And I’ll bet anybody anything they want that you’re as much of an insider as the cleaning lady at Jim Ryans dermatologist) then please prove it, actually put something on the line and give us the name of developer/publisher Sony is acquiring. Short of that please stop being sad and just go fix your life.

Oh and don’t even get me started on the other bunch throwing riddles at us every chance they get, you know who else gives riddles? Trolls under a bridge. So at least they’re telling us what they are.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher
giphy.gif

ANIMAL1975

I knew it.

9.2tf flute confirmed damn

On a serious note, wouldn't "Project Infinite" possibly imply playing every PS game?
That was my first thought to, yesterday i compared it with cboat riddle that people think it's about Edge of Tomorrow, and quoted this post of dolabla
It's about some crazy glitch that sent him to a old post of his, when he clicked cboats name! (the post was about Vita games...)
Are you there dolabla dolabla
is the glitch still on for you? With me doesn't work lol

Until Jim Ryan comes out swinging his big old dick around at PS meeting and no one will care.
SlimySnake SlimySnake is that you

Bad news (?) first - Good news very soon (BIG acquisition)
is this same bs as this?
Yeah Tommy, i have asked you this before about Darius calling you out on the L cache, and you going MIA.
What's the catch?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
I’ve been following this Thread for quite some time now, and I really wish Mods would have a zero tolerance policy for people claiming they have inside knowledge and aren’t willing to provide sufficient verification. You got a bunch of people just riding whatever rumor they hear with the rest of us and pretending they have sources like this Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher guy. The rumor about a Sony acquisition has been circulating for more than a week now, there’s even a thread about if for god sakes. Seriously guy this is just sad, how bad is your life that you have to do this to feel an inkling of fake importance? And if you are really an “insider” (And I’ll bet anybody anything they want that you’re as much of an insider as the cleaning lady at Jim Ryans dermatologist) then please prove it, actually put something on the line and give us the name of developer/publisher Sony is acquiring. Short of that please stop being sad and just go fix your life.

Oh and don’t even get me started on the other bunch throwing riddles at us every chance they get, you know who else gives riddles? Trolls under a bridge. So at least they’re telling us what they are.

Another newly registered to attack Tommy ...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
We still have to see 1 game that truly uses an SSD to its complete potential. I know loading times will be over, but even if the PS5's SSD is quicker than XSX SSD, I still have to see a game that shows the huge impact it might have you are making it out to be.

*yet.

Keep in mind that just because you release a couple of 12tf beasts with the latest tech inside, it doesn’t mean at launch it’s going to be used even close to its potential.

Christ, ray tracing has been about a while now, and we are still only just dipping into that.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
*yet.

Keep in mind that just because you release a couple of 12tf beasts with the latest tech inside, it doesn’t mean at launch it’s going to be used even close to its potential.

Christ, ray tracing has been about a while now, and we are still only just dipping into that.
True, it has a lot of potential. But now developers have to make use of it. If they don't then your statement of game over for Xbox due to a faster SSD in PS5 is incorrect. You just made a lot of assumptions for calling the XSX game over if it seems that their SSD is a bit slower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
True, it has a lot of potential. But now developers have to make use of it. If they don't then your statement of game over for Xbox due to a faster SSD in PS5 is incorrect. You just made a lot of assumptions for calling the XSX game over if it seems that their SSD is a bit slower.

Think of the long game. In 5 years time, what’s it going to be like, when you load assets less than half the speed the competition can?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Think of the long game. In 5 years time, what’s it going to be like, when you load assets less than half the speed the competition can?
Well that purely depends if we are talking PS5 1sec, and XSX 2sec, or PS5 30sec and XSX 1min... One is a lot worse than the other, which is what I meant with that we still have to see how it's used by developers. And IF the SSD of PS5 is 2x as fast as the one of the XSX, then we still have to see IF games use it.

A lot of IF's before saying it's game over for XSX.

Tsaki

Are there any information out there that tell us how much it cost Sony to be at the E3 showfloor? I'm especially curious about the cost that Sony paid to ESA just for the right to be at E3 (not inlcuding floor preparation costs, flying out journalists and devs, paying the orchestras, etc).

fepeinado

Neo Member
Are there any information out there that tell us how much it cost Sony to be at the E3 showfloor? I'm especially curious about the cost that Sony paid to ESA just for the right to be at E3 (not inlcuding floor preparation costs, flying out journalists and devs, paying the orchestras, etc).
that's also something I'd love to know
It really seems much smarter to just have a presentation around the same date

RookX22

that's also something I'd love to know
It really seems much smarter to just have a presentation around the same date
I saw some twitter talk saying around 30 million.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

That was my first thought to, yesterday i compared it with cboat riddle that people think it's about Edge of Tomorrow, and quoted this post of dolabla
It's about some crazy glitch that sent him to a old post of his, when he clicked cboats name! (the post was about Vita games...)
Are you there dolabla dolabla
is the glitch still on for you? With me doesn't work lol

What i didn't get was the Uncharted 4 fp mod screenshot. But it got me thinking (in an unrealistic way) how interesting it would be something like PS Home + playing Crash Bandicoot (psx) on Uncharted 4 + VR. So, basically a PS Home in FP (using or not VR) where you could access all PS consoles and even play multiplayer "locally" online.
(Although i prefer local emulation)

Last edited:

B0xel-new

Neo Member
For people calling me out for being newly registered, Ive Ben on Gaf since 2011 , My Old username is B0xel, Ive been away for a while and I forgot the damn email I used since they used to only accept organizations emails(If one of the mods could please remind me that would be great). But, I’ll address you as well. Stop believing being on a forum longer than someone makes you better than them, build yourself worth on something a little more substantial. Or don’t, I’m just a comment.

ANIMAL1975

What i didn't get was the Uncharted 4 fp mod screenshot. But it got me thinking (in an unrealistic way) how interesting it would be something like PS Home + playing Crash Bandicoot (psx) on Uncharted 4 + VR. So, basically a PS Home in FP (using or not VR) where you could access all PS consoles and even play multiplayer "locally" online.
(Although i prefer local emulation)
That's a possibility too, if we think about it the 'Project Infinity' naming sounds a lot more wide to be just about retrocomp, maybe it's about all games and all services.

ethomaz

Banned
True but in all honesty who do you think will have more public eyes on if the events took place at the same time
Mostly will choose Sony event to attend and the big site will make a B team to attendee the MS event imo.... so they will try to cover both... smaller sites will really mostly trend to Sony event because didn't have enough people to cover two events.
But it is not good for Sony and MS.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Well if this number is in the neighbourhood of the real cost it certainly is a lot of money, no matter how you slice it. Personally I just want the PS5 and next-gen info from Sony. How, where and when they will do it doesn't really concern me. Will they do it at a PS Meeting next month or at around the E3 time in a venue that has nothing to do with the ESA or will they use multiple State of Plays to announce the specs and games it'a all the same to me. Just give me the engineering leads talking about the hardware specifics and optimizations for an hour, 1st and 3rd party devs talking about the new gameplay and level design possibilities offered by the new hardware and showcasing tech demos that take advantage of said hardware and closed-box environment. I would rather want Sony to use that money to acquire studios or expand their 1st party teams than spend it on the use of the E3 IP.

ethomaz

Banned
It was $30k in 2013 for 600 square foot (~55m2).
That is the booth space so you will need to construct the booth in that space that can variate from more $80k to $250k.
Take in mind MS and Sony space are 10x bigger than that one.

Plus you have to pay additional fees to use other parts like to show management you need to pay $15k to GES, finishing cost variate from $7.8k to $11k.

We are talking here over $1m imo for companies like Sony and MS.
Over $100k for smaller companies with that small booth (55m2).
That in 2013.

I won't be surprise that Sony and MS breaks $10 million at E3 today.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
So Matt had the specs for both consoles, as well as getting Klees spec sheet before he ran, and he is taking a guess that the XSX will be more powerful?
Just listen to that for a second. I was told by all the Sony fanboys that he was an insider, and when Matt said the specs dont match the AMD leaks he would know.
Then when he comes out and say in he thinks the XSX will be more powerful (and if he had the spec sheets like the SDF here was saying, he wouldn't need to guess), all of a sudden its just an uneducated opinion.
Talk about mental gymnastics.
Maybe the reality is like some of us have been saying all along, and that is that these So called insiders like Matt and Klee actually dont have any real knowedge and were guessing the entire time.
But I'm sure the narative will be that Klee was always the insider and Matt never was.
What Matt said was his "educated guess", and it was many months back.

He did confirm again that they were his educated guesses, because at that time he didn't know the specs of the Xbox Series X, now he knows both just from what Klee suggested.

It was $30k in 2013 for 600 square foot (~55m2).
That is the booth space so you will need to construct the booth in that space that can variate from more $80k to $250k.
Take in mind MS and Sony space are 10x bigger than that one.

Plus you have to pay additional fees to use other parts like to show management you need to pay $15k to GES, finishing cost variate from $7.8k to $11k.

We are talking here over $500m imo for companies like Sony and MS.
Over $100m for smaller companies with that small booth (55m2).

Ouch, $30k for a space the size of my garage is insane! I bet 2021 you won't see Microsoft there either...

tenor.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Ouch, $30k for a space the size of my garage is insane! I bet 2021 you won't see Microsoft there either...

tenor.gif
It was 2013... it is probably around $50k or more today.
Sony and MS get booth 10x or more bigger than these small ones and they pay for that... of course there is discount too (if you get 2 55m2 space you pay less for each one than getting just one).

But even today these $30m like the tweet guessed cost for Sony/MS seems a bit too high.
I can see $10m being used by MS this year.

That is a lot of money in expenses yet :D

Last edited:

joe_zazen

For people calling me out for being newly registered, Ive Ben on Gaf since 2011 , My Old username is B0xel, Ive been away for a while and I forgot the damn email I used since they used to only accept organizations emails(If one of the mods could please remind me that would be great). But, I’ll address you as well. Stop believing being on a forum longer than someone makes you better than them, build yourself worth on something a little more substantial. Or don’t, I’m just a comment.

big corps use pr firms who use social media subcontractors who flood facebook, reddit, forums, comment sections with whatever the message du jour is. Govts use it as well (google ‘us military social media manipulation’). You can also google ‘Microsoft uses dead people to lobby congress’.

So when a big marketing push is happening, shit posting warriors with 3 posts are almost guaranteed to either be idiot 13 year olds or paid marketeers. So any new posters posting shit warrior garbage are suspect. Make sense, yeah?

btw, they go through pr firms who use subcontractors to firewall wall themselves against accusations.

ethomaz

Banned
This is what I was refering to so who knows.
CrbIF3T.jpg

CrbIF3T.jpg

CrbIF3T.jpg
I don't believe the reason of Sony not being at E3 is cost... companies of that size are already used to use that amount of money in big events.

There is probably something more behind the scenes.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

What Matt said was his "educated guess", and it was many months back.

He did confirm again that they were his educated guesses, because at that time he didn't know the specs of the Xbox Series X, now he knows both just from what Klee suggested.

also, remember Matt hasnt working in game dev for like 3 years. so while honest and connecte, no first hand knowledge anymore. Also, he isnt much into games as posting in political topics, lol.

It was 2013... it is probably around $50k or more today.
Sony and MS get booth 10x or more bigger than these small ones and they pay for that... of course there is discount too (if you get 2 55m2 space you pay less for each one than getting just one).

But even today these $30m like the tweet guessed cost for Sony/MS seems a bit too high.
I can see $10m being used by MS this year.

That is a lot of money in expenses yet :D

I could easily see it going to those costs looking at the insane build outs they do for their floor space, I totally agree with them not going again...I know I will miss it like many people do (it was always fun to watch or read the live blogs of all the different companies), but the return on investment just isn't there anymore...

RookX22

I don't believe the reason of Sony not being at E3 is cost... companies of that size are already used to use that amount of money in big events.

There is probably something more behind the scenes.
Yeah if I had to guess they saw how well nintendos directs were recieved and decided to go that route. I mean who knows they might do something in the area around the same time and call it playstation jungle fort. Lol

Disco_

Things I really hope with PS5:

- targeting high frame rates in FPS games instead of resolution (or at least the option to choose the settings)

- bluetooth connectivity not restricted just to the Playstation headsets (which suck IMO), there's a lot of great headphones out there, I want to use my Audio Technicas fully wirelessly. (or at least just give me the possibility to plug in a mic in the controller and play the chat audio in the main mix, which is not possible on the PS4)

that being said, do you think it'll be a good idea to upgrade to a 144hz monitor? or the majority of FPS games will still be 60fps?

ciao!
If your bluetooth headphones support aptx ll(doubt ATs do), you can buy a $25 BT transceiver and have wireless audio/mic on ps4. Aptx would give wireless audio only.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah if I had to guess they saw how well nintendos directs were recieved and decided to go that route. I mean who knows they might do something in the area around the same time and call it playstation jungle fort. Lol
To be fiar it is not like doing a big PS5 reveal renting theaters across US to show to public will be anything less expensive than E3.

BTW I just remembered these theaters they rented to show the E3... it should cost a lot so I can see they reaching close to these $30m now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom