• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norse

It closer to that 30m like the tweet says.

Was it you that hinted at this a few days ago?

According to Digitimes, Qunlian has become the supply chain of Microsoft Xbox Series X, providing SSD for it. This is almost certainly the PCIe 4.0 version. According to reports, the new master PCIe 4.0 SSD will reach a speed of 7GB / s, which is very beneficial for the host.

Will this close the ssd gap any between the two? And will this same controller be in the little brother?

RookX22

Microsoft clearly timed there e3 confirmation the same time sony said they were not going sony might say something along the lines of we have been investing money into the players experince or something kinda like the whole used games thing.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
It was 2013... it is probably around $50k or more today.
Sony and MS get booth 10x or more bigger than these small ones and they pay for that... of course there is discount too (if you get 2 55m2 space you pay less for each one than getting just one).

But even today these $30m like the tweet guessed cost for Sony/MS seems a bit too high.
I can see $10m being used by MS this year.

That is a lot of money in expenses yet :D

Seriously thy can just decorate a room with Sony shit in their office, do a live stream or conference, still get tons of exposure and save tons of money. Hence State of Play or whatever thy call it.

They just need to work on presentation and consistency. Some conferences thy knock out the park others are drab, very polarizing sometimes. I remember one presentation thy did was so so good then thy followed the next year with layden on a couch just talking and it was boring asf, it's like they have a diff person working on the format every time so u never know w what your going to get.

ethomaz

Banned
Seriously thy can just decorate a room with Sony shit in their office, do a live stream or conference, still get tons of exposure and save tons of money. Hence State of Play or whatever thy call it.

They just need to work on presentation and consistency. Some conferences thy knock out the park others are drab, very polarizing sometimes. I remember one presentation thy did was so so good then thy followed the next year with layden on a couch just talking and it was boring asf, it's like they have a diff person working on the format every time so u never know w what your going to get.
The decoration cost will be about the same at E3 or in a Sony building.
Big companies expend that at these events... it is normal.
Do you believe the flute guy $$$ was small? Or the whole orchestra? All the hired temp-workers to make the show happens?

Making a show outside E3 will save them a bit but I don't believe it will be a lot... maybe $30m to $20m.

The issue with E3 is apparently something else and not cost.

Last edited:
There is one issue . We keep hearing devs praise ps5 ssd and literally non of them talk about xsx ssd.

we havnt really heard anything about the xsx period from devs. So either, by your logic, the ps5 is better in every possible way, OR devs themselves fall into the same demographics as the general population when it comes to fanboys. PS fanboys are simply a larger and more obtuse fanbase., thus you hear more from them. Also, perhaps MS is running a tighter ship

johnjohn

Was it you that hinted at this a few days ago?

According to Digitimes, Qunlian has become the supply chain of Microsoft Xbox Series X, providing SSD for it. This is almost certainly the PCIe 4.0 version. According to reports, the new master PCIe 4.0 SSD will reach a speed of 7GB / s, which is very beneficial for the host.

Will this close the ssd gap any between the two? And will this same controller be in the little brother?
Do you remember what the hint was?

ethomaz

Banned
we havnt really heard anything about the xsx period from devs. So either, by your logic, the ps5 is better in every possible way, OR devs themselves fall into the same demographics as the general population when it comes to fanboys. PS fanboys are simply a larger and more obtuse fanbase., thus you hear more from them. Also, perhaps MS is running a tighter ship
I have the exactly same feeling but the opposite.
Xbox fans are less but loud.
Sony fans are more but quiet.

Just look what how many talk about Xbox One Series X has from rumors compared with Sony PS5.
There are timdogs, crapgamers, and misterxmedias everywhere.

Last edited:
You are a great opposite example of the point you are trying to make 😜

Last edited:

joe_zazen

they really have had a directionless marketing dept the last few years. I am hoping now that they have their management team in place we’ll see some movement.

Ideally, i would like to see Sony have lots of regional events, like when microsoft had Gears 5 day in Melbourne with free beer and tattoos. That shit is a blast. And also have a fun couple of live presentations, one for hardware and one for games.

thing is, when do you time it. Feb is like 9-10 months from launch and they have a giant game for ps4 coming out. I’d do it two weeks after Druckman’s kill game. Hardware on day 1, and games following day.

Then for the travelling road show, if at all possible, have actual ps5s with playable games through the summer and fall. Wow people with load times, 100” oleds, and even some souped up VR. Oh, and free beer and tatoos.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I found that info interesting because it is around the CUs counts that next-gen will have to reach the TFs most are estimating.

BTW the RX 5950XT and RX 5950 are probably Dual-GPU in the same PCB using Crossfire.

Or not :D

Last edited:
I still feel Xbox will have more horsepower overall but Sony has a faster SSD and a better RT solution where Xbox will try to brute force everything.

Their is something very off about this statement, as this fellow put it:

This is what I laugh at the most sometimes. Microsoft did all that clever game analysis to understand how the games and their engines operate, and used it to their advantage of developing Xbox One X, and we are now suppose to believe that Microsoft has decided to just go all sloppy on us and just brute force everything with nothing but power. No clever optimizations, features or techniques. Just hulk smash their way through everything. Nope. Some would like to believe that with the amazing power in the console Microsoft won't also be smart to push it as far as humanely possible, but no such luck. Microsoft will ensure this thing sings, and I doubt are relying on purely raw power.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
they really have had a directionless marketing dept the last few years. I am hoping now that they have their management team in place we’ll see some movement.

Ideally, i would like to see Sony have lots of regional events, like when microsoft had Gears 5 day in Melbourne with free beer and tattoos. That shit is a blast. And also have a fun couple of live presentations, one for hardware and one for games.

thing is, when do you time it. Feb is like 9-10 months from launch and they have a giant game for ps4 coming out. I’d do it two weeks after Druckman’s kill game. Hardware on day 1, and games following day.

Then for the travelling road show, if at all possible, have actual ps5s with playable games through the summer and fall. Wow people with load times, 100” oleds, and even some souped up VR. Oh, and free beer and tatoos.

I don't necessarily agree. Sony has done alot of marketing, events and shows in diff places just last year thy had the Sony huge trailer tht would drive state to state and let ppl play games, win things and get information. I just think some ppl may not know about this. Playstation experiences were also another where ppl could get free tickets to see E3 and later on conferences thy put out. Last year I was invited and went to Sony theater in Manhattan with free food, drinks, VR demos, games etc and was really fun and cool.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

well, ms is the 2000lbs American gorilla. X1x was hulk smash console ( brute force) and their studio expansion strat is also hulk smash power grab. Sony and nintendo cant do that, they either fail or the have to play smart to compete with the colossus.

Tiago07

I don't belive in Series X SSD 7 gb/s rumor, we have no insider/dev telling about Series X SSD. but we know Sony's SSD is ultra fast, uses proprietary technology and have been patented.

In SSD, I am confident in PS5 superiority / large superiority.

Phill Spencer talks in 40x faster and MS doesn't comment so much in that

Last edited:

I think what Heisenberg is trying to say is that Sony may custom-optimize a few very specific things in particular, not necessarily that MS is gonna hulk-smash their way to a solution. Because honestly, that would run contrarian to the optimization they've done for XBO and the X.

Both of them are going to have some very smart and critical hardware/software optimizations; you'll probably just seen one really specific area or two where they differ.

I don't belive in Series X SSD 7 gb/s rumor, we have no insider/dev telling about Series X SSD. but we know Sony's SSD is ultra fast, uses proprietary technology and have been patented.

Based on what? I mean think about it; Zen 2 processors support up to 24 PCIe 4.0 lanes. Why would MS limit a NAND memory controller interface to just 1x PCIe 4.0 lane? Even if these systems cut down on PCIe lane interface totals, they are still leaving a lot on the table.

The 40x comment was probably never meant to be taken literally, it was just a general estimate and maybe based on a slower-speced SSD they were using for testing at the time. I expect both systems to have between 7-8 GB/s NVMe SSD support over 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes.

At least that is for the custom drive; assuming the systems will have a custom drive as a memory-mapped cache and allow for external drives, it's possible the 2 GB/s number was in reference to the optional 2nd drive, not the custom one (which will probably be non-removable, for both systems). I guess in that case 2 GB/s could be an issue down the line for that secondary drive, but since it would basically be for cold storage, it would not be a big bottleneck whatsoever. In fact, for cold storage you likely wouldn't be using too much anyway, 2 GB/s is pretty hot.

Last edited:

Banned
Zenimax acquired?! 😃

Oh god! just imagine, 🤣 the unimaginable shittyness of Bethesda oozing onto the PS5, and through their unbelievably strong abilities in fucking things up they somehow manage to let every PS5 that connects online to instantly explode 🤣🤣🤣

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think what Heisenberg is trying to say is that Sony may custom-optimize a few very specific things in particular, not necessarily that MS is gonna hulk-smash their way to a solution. Because honestly, that would run contrarian to the optimization they've done for XBO and the X.

Both of them are going to have some very smart and critical hardware/software optimizations; you'll probably just seen one really specific area or two where they differ.

The term I have heard in reference to the Sony SSD is more "elegant" then MS approach so take that at face value.

Just guessing though.

Yeah like the colossus tht just got spanked all Gen lol

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

This time, everything is pretty much on the same level, or same playing field, or terms or whatever you want to call it. I dont think MS will be in the same position with current gen. Will Sony be #1 this upcoming next gen? Yes, I personally think they have already won the next gen, but Microsoft will NOT be a distant 2nd, they will be very close and keep each other toe to toe-which is a good thing.

joe_zazen

Yeah like the colossus tht just got spanked all Gen lol

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

xbox /= microsoft. MS is 1 or 2 largest corp with cia and us military contacts as they are a contractor. Sony/nintendo are microscopic based in a country with a joke military, and whose power extends to anime being a thing in france.

edit: if MS or Washington sees gaming as important, they will dominate, 100%.

Last edited:

How does the SSD drive contribute to the *processing* of hi fidelity next gen 4k graphics? How does this make graphics better? Its a friggin storage device. If PS5 version is more faster and efficient that's fine. I am sure it promotes to graphical fidelity in an indirect way by *storing* more graphical assets like backgrounds, levels, etc. It can also get rid of unnecessary CPU tasks of compression/decompression so it can freeing up the CPU to do more important things.

Sony putting such a strong emphasis on SSD drive, as if it promotes to better graphics is strange to me.

Lampiao

If neither Destination Playstation is going to be realized, it is clear that Sony is doing hell to hide something from microsoft. They must have something fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom