• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a ps guy, but i will call out fud when i see it.

This load time vs resolution thing is absurd. No one in their right mind cares about 5 second load times especially in an age where system resume exists across multiple games and everything is open world with barely load times anyway apart from when you decide to gay travel.

I'm sure the ssd will offer more advantages than load times. I was specifically replying to the guy who bright up 5 second load times.
Just saying because I have read from you several comments downplaying the PS5 & Sony, as it all were a fucking mess because it has 1.8tf less... It sounds a bit acted up.

True developers (no fake insiders saying the PS5 had 52CUs) are saying that the PS5 can do things that we cant even start to understand.

Anyway, man. I guess you will have your reasons to post the way you do but I would wait to see what the PS5 really can do before concluding that it is a piece of shit.

Maybe this can cheer you up :)

Exact moment when Mark Cerny talk about the 22GB/s using kraken compresion

martino

are you aware that on your graph you want to have a line as flat as possible ? (1% and 0.1% count a lot)
vulkan here is all over the place, you just prove the reverse of what you wanted...

but i'm not surprised you think that since vulkans is a "better system"

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just saying because I have read from you several comments downplaying the PS5 & Sony, as it all were a fucking mess because it has 1.8tf less... It sounds a bit acted up.

True developers (no fake insiders saying the PS5 had 52CUs) are saying that the PS5 can do things that we cant even start to understand.

Anyway, man. I guess you will have your reasons to post the way you do but I would wait to see what the PS5 really can do before concluding that it is a piece of shit.

Maybe this can cheer you up :)

Exact moment when Mark Cerny talk about the 22GB/s using kraken compresion

Wow! So it's even 12x more powerful than a ZEN2 core! All Hail the Kraken!

kraken.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
are you aware that on your graph you want to have a line as flat as possible ? (1% and 0.1% count a lot)
vulkan here is all over the place, you just prove the reverse of what you wanted...

Could you watch the real-time performance in the first one, please? Thanks 🙌 :messenger_winking:

semicool

Banned
Gossen's statements are just explaining to us what RDNA2 RT is, they're not characteristics unique to the Xbox. If you're offloading 13TF of RT to the Intersection Engines (these are the RT cores) and then have 12TF of compute left over you can market that as 13+12=25. But again, that's not unique to XSX. That's what RDNA2 RT is.

It's a matter of framing. The "additional, separate hardware that can run in parallel" is the Intersection Engine in the CU being conveyed in layman terms.
Like "could have been done in shaders"(but isn't like it's done in the ps5), "offloaded onto dedicated hardware" and "run in parallel with full performance"(separate, in addition to, unlike ps5),...which he States is why he is saying 25TFs if ran with Ray tracing on.

I quote, and note the differences vs ps5:

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

"Could have been done in shaders"
"Offloaded onto dedicated hardware"
"Shader continue(s) to run in parallel with full performance"

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Guys I have a question. I know each new architecture improve memory bandwidth but I wonder if it can also reduce VRAM usage in games as well? Sometimes 1080ti vs 2080ti shows similar VRAM usage, but there are also scenarios when VRAM usage looks little bit different and I wonder why is that?

Like "could have been done in shaders"(but isn't like it's done in the ps5), "offloaded onto dedicated hardware" and "run in parallel with full performance"(separate, in addition to, unlike ps5),...which he States is why he is saying 25TFs if ran with Ray tracing on.

I quote, and note the differences vs ps5:

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

"Could have been done in shaders"
"Offloaded onto dedicated hardware"
"Shader continue(s) to run in parallel with full performance"
Still didn't get how PS5 does RT.

M-V2

It seems some people think that better SSD on 3rd party games means only better load times, which is wrong. Better SSD means

1. Better load times
2. Better draw distance
3. Less pop-in
All these issues can be addressed when you have SSD

martino

It seems some people think that better SSD on 3rd party games means only better load times, which is wrong. Better SSD means

1. Better load times
2. Better draw distance
3. Less pop-in

are you saying graphic pipeline performance don't count for 2 and 3 ?

martino

I didn't say it doesn't count, I'm just making clear for those who thinks better SSD means only better load times, which wrong. Other than that I didn't say anything.
the question is how fast is enought for this gen cpu/gpu...time will tell.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Still didn't get how PS5 does RT.
Read my original post, summary is that Cernys said it's built into the CUs and says nothing about it being dedicated, offloaded, separate, or full parallel performance with the 36 CUs, unlike the MS architect, where the shaders aren't impacted in fact he, Cerny, says it's built into the CUs. MS is making a distinction that's it's offloaded from the CU hardware whereas Sony is saying it's built into the CU hardware.

Sounds like MS has additional RT cores that are most likely RDNA2 based maybe in addition to the RT AMD functionality baked into the CUs(ala PS5) too..possibly in addition.

Sony and MS describe it way different.

Last edited:

SSfox

1. Better load times
2. Better draw distance
3. Less pop-in

I'll add:

Huge changes in game designs that weren't possible in previous generation, as well as in XSX.

Also SSD can save a lot of work for Ram, GPU and CPU, that's alone is huge.

Read my original post, summary is that Cernys said it's built into the CUs and says nothing about it being dedicated, offloaded, separate, or full parallel performance with the 36 CUs, unlike the MS architect, where the shaders aren't impacted in fact he says it's built into the CUs.
I responded to that exactly to ask clarification, this doesn't sound right.
As SeX needs separated hardware or it would use 13 TF only for RT, if PS5 doesn't have separated hardware and is 10 TF how can it even run RT in the slighest? Why include it in the first place?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doesn’t matter, they won’t read. But it seems that MS actually created a method for compression on textures alone,

I also read that SSDs when they get warm throttle to half speed in PCs, MS fixed this and they now can sustain this speed, with heat sinks on the SSD, their solution is also clever.

PS5 is doing something in that regard, it's mentioned 5GB/s RAW (at least).

jpg

semicool

Banned
I responded to that exactly to ask clarification, this doesn't sound right.
As SeX needs separated hardware or it would use 13 TF only for RT, if PS5 doesn't have separated hardware and is 10 TF how can it even run RT in the slighest? Why include it in the first place?
To say that the RT implementations are the same is hearsay. It's not a stretch to say they're both AMD RDNA2 tech but just to say they executed and implemented said tech the same way. MS is explaining it, the setup, very different than Sony.

MS s explanation setup sounds, not only different but better, more potent.

If they are the same setup, if I'm AMD, I'd be much more pleased with Gossens explanation and emphasis over Cerny's explanation and lack of emphasis.

More likely is they are set up differently IMO. We will see.

ethomaz

Banned
Our friend Reindeer Reindeer was saying that it's impossible for XSX to beat 2080ti (ultra, 4K at 100fps).
Well it is way weaker than a RTX 2080TI.
I believe it won’t reach there.

What we have evidence is that it is reaching RTX 2080 performance.

BTW right now nVidia RT hardware looks to be more advanced than RDNA2 RT hardware.... the comparisons will be interesting when the BigNavi releases.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
To say that the RT implementations are the same is hearsay. It's not a stretch to say they're both AMD RDNA2 tech but just to say they executed and implemented said tech the same way. MS is explaining it, the setup, very different than Sony.

MS s explanation setup sounds, not only different but better, more potent.

If they are the same setup, if I'm AMD, I'd be much more pleased with Gossens explanation and emphasis over Cerny's explanation and lack of emphasis.

More likely is they are set up differently IMO. We will see.
AMD Will explain themselves soon.
Neither Sony or MS can enter in details about RDNA2 or RT hardware accelerators.

pasterpl

interesting...but

about RDR2

That means it’s a pretty obvious conclusion to make – for now we have to say the game is far and away better when played with DX12. I would expect to see Vulkan’s performance improve in the coming month or two as I imagine we will see plenty of patches from Rockstar, but for now if you’re playing RDR2 on PC – DX12 is going to offer the best overall experience by quite a distance.

ethomaz

Banned
interesting...but

about RDR2
There is something wrong in that link.

RDR2 has better performance with Vulkan.
In AMD cards the difference is pretty obvious.
In nVidia cards the difference is more close.

BTW Vulkan is the default API supported by the game.

Steam has a guide to setup RDR2 for best performance: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1960219576

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom