• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
That tends to happen when you troll people.

Which you are doing in this thread yourself recently. Either discuss the current flow of the topic, and take your solely sniping, bait meta to another thread to air your grievances, or report if you think they are breaking any rules.

This goes for everyone. Friendly ribbing, jokes and "tit for tat" banter in the current discourse flow will always be fine, even encouraged to challenge opinions, but only serving to antagonize and troll specific users while attempting to derail around that meta will not be. We can see those patterns start to add up after a while, and we see all of your posts even if you have them hidden from regular users.

Keep that in mind. Thank you.

sircaw

Banned
Which you are doing in this thread yourself recently. Either discuss the current flow of the topic, and take your solely sniping, bait meta to another thread to air your grievances, or report if you think they are breaking any rules.

This goes for everyone. Friendly ribbing, jokes and "tit for tat" banter in the current discourse flow will always be fine, even encouraged to challenge opinions, but only serving to antagonize and troll specific users while attempting to derail around that meta will not be. We can see those patterns start to add up after a while, and we see all of your posts even if you have them hidden from regular users.

tip toe's away quietly.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Thanks for the reminder, sir! :lollipop_raising_hand:

Last edited:

silent head

3hl5W1i.jpg

Corndog

Banned

Really. Please point out my trolling for me. Maybe I don’t understand what you consider trolling. I will point out the trolling I am talking about if you would like.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that the Xbox Series X is the superior piece of hardware. So why is everyone under the impression the PS5 will cost more?

I don't agree on the pricing this guy is saying, UHD drives for big companies like Sony only cost around $20-30 per unit so a cut in $100 doesn't make sense but I could be wrong, I also think the PS5 will be around $450-$499 which is a reasonable prediction.

As for PS5 being more expensive, I think Sony have gone for a more lavish console design which may cost slightly more, the PS5's cooling system is also supposed to be more expensive than usual. PS5's SSD is also heavily customised and has 12 channels, which is also quite expensive. Dualsense itself will also bump the price up because of of all it's unique features. This is just my guess but I'm sure someone else on this thread can give a better answer.

geordiemp

I don't agree on the pricing this guy is saying, UHD drives for big companies like Sony only cost around $20-30 per unit so a cut in $100 doesn't make sense but I could be wrong, I also think the PS5 will be around $450-$499 which is a reasonable prediction.

As for PS5 being more expensive, I think Sony have gone for a more lavish console design which may cost slightly more, the PS5's cooling system is also supposed to be more expensive than usual. PS5's SSD is also heavily customised and has 12 channels, which is also quite expensive. Dualsense itself will also bump the price up because of of all it's unique features. This is just my guess but I'm sure someone else on this thread can give a better answer.

You think the discord FUD would be trying to portray the ps5 as cheap so that it looks expensive at 499.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
I thought that the Xbox Series X is the superior piece of hardware. So why is everyone under the impression the PS5 will cost more?

If it is, it would be mostly because of the custom SSD. But it's not a certainty which costs more to produce, and if there is a difference it's probably a couple tens of dollars.

PS5 is estimated (by a Bloomberg tech journalist, not random people on Twitter) to cost about $400 to produce; if that is true there is no way Sony will be selling it for $600.

If it is, it would be mostly because of the custom SSD. But it's not a certainty which costs more to produce, and if there is a difference it's probably a couple tens of dollars.

PS5 is estimated (by a Bloomberg tech journalist, not random people on Twitter) to cost about $400 to produce; if that is true there is no way Sony will be selling it for $600.

What's weird with that rumor is that they only gave the BOM for one of the systems. You would think that the person who had access to that information would know about both SKUs.

ToadMan

MS have a beefier AMD gpu - presumably that has higher manufacturing costs.

That’s offset against Sony’s custom hardware particularly when it comes to the SSD and sound device.

Personally I think Sony can “eat” their internal R&D and custom Silicon costs while MS has to pay to AMD whatever they agreed per GPU as part of the SoC and that’s presumably more than Sony.

There’s a theory too that the PS5 “digital edition” might be cheaper because Sony know that will translate to digital sales which are 100% revenue via them and not up for used game resale. So they could factor that in and reduce the cost of the PS5 DE quite a bit if they feel they want to put pressure on MS on price.

Finally there've been a few “leaked” prices for PS5 but the Amazon France one seems the most likely - they had the disc PS5 at 499 euro which would probably be the same in USD.

All that has to be weighed against MS’s desire to reboot their position in gaming this time round and what they’re making off of gamepass

MS could give a year or two of gamepass and effectively reduce the cost of their console by offering “free gaming” after purchase. Not an Incentive for existing customers but might pull in bargain hunters.

So on the whole I think they come out about the same and perhaps PS5 is a little lower if Sony really do swallow their r&d costs. Offset that against Ms offering gamepass bundles.

jose4gg

My expectations with the PS5 are:

- Digital version US$450-500
- Disc Version US$500-550

I feel that the whole point of the digital version is that they can more money from the PS Store and prevent used games, etc, so any loss by cost can be recover from it. The Disk version will allow them to add $50 dollars to the final price while the Disc Hardware only cost around $20 to make (based on a comment by Digital Foundry), so they can recover $30 immediately from it.

The reason why so many people think the Xbox Series X will be cheaper is because they think Microsoft will sacrifice everything in order to win the next generation... I don't know how possible that is for Microsoft, but we'll see...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
MS have a beefier AMD gpu - presumably that has higher manufacturing costs.

That’s offset against Sony’s custom hardware particularly when it comes to the SSD and sound device.

Personally I think Sony can “eat” their internal R&D and custom Silicon costs while MS has to pay to AMD whatever they agreed per GPU as part of the SoC and that’s presumably more than Sony.

There’s a theory too that the PS5 “digital edition” might be cheaper because Sony know that will translate to digital sales which are 100% revenue via them and not up for used game resale. So they could factor that in and reduce the cost of the PS5 DE quite a bit if they feel they want to put pressure on MS on price.

Finally there've been a few “leaked” prices for PS5 but the Amazon France one seems the most likely - they had the disc PS5 at 499 euro which would probably be the same in USD.

All that has to be weighed against MS’s desire to reboot their position in gaming this time round and what they’re making off of gamepass

MS could give a year or two of gamepass and effectively reduce the cost of their console by offering “free gaming” after purchase. Not an Incentive for existing customers but might pull in bargain hunters.

So on the whole I think they come out about the same and perhaps PS5 is a little lower if Sony really do swallow their r&d costs. Offset that against Ms offering gamepass bundles.

I laughed at a youtube comment about the name of PS5 SKU's:

- PS5: Normal.
- PS5 DE: Gamestop Killer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

I feel that the whole point of the digital version is that they can more money from the PS Store and prevent used games, etc, so any loss by cost can be recover from it. The Disk version will allow them to add $50 dollars to the final price while the Disc Hardware only cost around $20 to make (based on a comment by Digital Foundry), so they can recover $30 immediately from it.

The reason why so many people think the Xbox Series X will be cheaper is because they think Microsoft will sacrifice everything in order to win the next generation... I don't know how possible that is for Microsoft, but we'll see...
Yeah I keep seeing certain narratives being pushed around which actually have zero precedence, first is PS5 somehow being the weaker or less capable console yet somehow will cost more than the Series X.

The other is Sony not willing to undercut the Series X because they somehow can't afford to because "Microsoft is a richer" company, again this is just weak speculation or intentional FUD spreading.

No one other than Jim Ryan and a select higher ups of Sony know how much the PS5 will cost, anyone claiming to know the price this early is way to suspicious. The same may go for the Series X.

Really. Please point out my trolling for me. Maybe I don’t understand what you consider trolling. I will point out the trolling I am talking about if you would like.
You have tens of baiting posts here, several of them are addressed to BO to make him banned.

Do you want an example? Here is you again, baiting BO accusing him of lying for saying something that is totally true 👇

All the fucking time doing the same shit.

Time to stop trolling and baiting people. Take the warning of Mod of War Mod of War seriously; it is not place for your personal vendettas ;)

Last edited:

ToadMan

I laughed at a youtube comment about the name of PS5 SKU's:

- PS5: Normal.
- PS5 DE: Gamestop Killer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was thinking about that but I guess physical stores like GameStop aren’t really critical any more are they?

I don’t know - I probably only go to a store once or twice a year to pick up something for gaming.

Is GameStop a big deal still? Presumably they’d refuse to stock the DE version.

Then again they can’t be happy about gamepass either ....

Vaztu

My take on it is, PS5 design looks lavish, hence people expect a premium price on it.

The thinking around PS5-DE is that all software purchases will be through PS Store, so they will recoup losses faster. Similar to people speculating MS Lockhart will be disc-less and push for gamepass. Without discs, you are stuck with company stores or redeemable codes.

As for PS5 vs XSX BOM, I still think XSX is more expensive. The XSX APU might be bigger, with lower yields (due to more CUs, maybe?). Specialty of PS5 SSD is on the flash controller, which is offset by the fewer / slower NAND chips they use compared to XSX. For RAM, XSX have 10 chips vs 8 chips, don't know about cost difference on 1GB and 2GB chips. Dualsense will cost higher than XSX controller.

I do want to hear arguments on why PS5 costs more than XSX.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was thinking about that but I guess physical stores like GameStop aren’t really critical any more are they?

I don’t know - I probably only go to a store once or twice a year to pick up something for gaming.

I only remember GameStop during PS2 era between 2002-2004 when I was in Virginia :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last time I bought a disc was probably late 2014. But still, will get the disc version to give my beloved Sony more money to make more great games.:messenger_smiling_hearts:

xacto

Gamestop is on the way out, the same way as Blockbuster.

Last time I bought a disc was probably late 2014.

Really? I'm still 95%+ disc games. But then again, I tend not to keep games. Once they're completely played out, I sell them. It has additional advantages that I can take the risk on a game I'm not sure about, find out 3 weeks later that it's no good, and sell it to recoup some of my losses.

The same goes for games that I expect to be great, but turn out to be crap .... *cough*rdr2*cough*. Only lost £6 on that one.

Last edited:
Really? I'm still 95%+ disc games. But then again, I tend not to keep games. Once they're completely played out, I sell them. It has additional advantages that I can take the risk on a game I'm not sure about, find out 3 weeks later that it's no good, and sell it to recoup some of my losses.

The same goes for games that I expect to be great, but turn out to be crap .... *cough*rdr2*cough*. Only lost £6 on that one.

I'm 95% discs, and have always been a collector. I've never sold or traded any of my games since the PS1.

SSfox

Above 500$ would be a suicide imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom