• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imtjnotu

Wouldn't the PSVR2 having 5G capability be a smart move. 🤔
Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Dreams was out in open beta form to every rather a bit before 2020. 2020 was a soft launch.

No it actually released in February of 2020, for sale and all that. The beta was around for a year before that at least.

They see some natural decline between projects; like you said, up until before their "next project" Dreams launched; but Dreams was launched before their 2020 results, had a good month and a half to "sell."

I'm not saying Sony should shut them down; but it's not a good financial picture. If they were an indie studio, they'd be screwed. The natural decline of revenue between projects while costs go up to finish your next project is scary AF for small studios, and then if they have a flop.. that's when the real trouble happens.

A Sony owned studio isn't in that position with lenders/publishers but is with their bosses.

SSfox

What about that thing that Cerny talked about where you can delete single player or multiplayer on PS5, there are a lot of games that i would love to delete solo play and keep online play. Would love to be able to do it for some games like GOT, played NG and NG+ now i'm not deleting and keeping the game cause i'm still playing Legends, same for fighting games like T7 and MK11 i think story mode content is probably about 70% the size and if a feature like this will be a thing T7 and MK11 can go from 40 GB to 8-12 GB.

Anyway this is a must, it's ok for now but in a year when a lot of next gen games will be out it will start to become a little tie.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

What about that thing that Cerny talked about where you can delete single player or multiplayer on PS5

That capability is already being used by the new CoD, I deleted the campaign once I played through it and freed up around 20GB IIRC.

Now, this was likely easy to apply to CoD because the game modes are completely compartmentalized, for something like say Destiny they would likely need to restructure the entire game so that both PVE/PVP could function entirely independent of each other.

I think some games are too interconnected between modes for this to make sense, but I could see it applied to sports titles or others like COD with entirely separate modes that could function as independent games on their own.

Lysandros

PS5 and XSX have the same number of ACEs and HWS blocks. Fundamentally, these blocks just schedule graphics and compute workloads to the shader arrays. I wouldn't say, however, that the PS5 has an advantage due to these scheduling blocks running at higher clocks. Or if it does, I wouldn't expect it to be major. Fundamentally, MS/AMD aren't going to spec the XSX GPU with a number of ACEs/HWSs insufficient for the overall GPU design. I suspect in which case, PS5 is somewhat over-specced, but it's more likely that the PS5 will find less instances of being bottlenecked by front-end workload scheduling than XSX. Although I don't see workload scheduling being a bottleneck for either console in the prevailing majority of cases.
Yes, i was also thinking about a slight or very slight contribution, certainly not 'major' or bordering 'bottleneck' territory, thanks for the reply. 👍

bitbydeath

Dunno where to ask this so here will do.
I got invited to a PS4 System Software 8.50 Public Beta but I no longer have a PS4. Anyone want the code?

Hopefully this means the PS5 beta isn’t too far off.
Main features updated in this system software beta version
• In Messages, you can now turn notifications on or off for each of the groups you're in. On the group screen, open the options menu and select Turn Notifications Off.

Other update features
• On the game session details screen, you can now use the Request to Join button to ask the session leader to join their game session. The session leader can then send you an invite to join the game session.
• When playing a game you've hidden, other players will no longer see that you're currently playing that game.
• The Communities feature is no longer available.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
FUCK

The tools have FINALLY arrived.

PS5 am dead.
Well given the situation with v. 2018 of their kernel, I believe tools arrives in 2022, it's buggy as fuck. All other version using 2013 kernel, it's not year, just some weird notation by MS. Take a look at "issues":

And that's just a surface.

IntentionalPun

After all the rumors and marketing that I have heard, if I don't see in game performance it doesn't exist.
RGT has a bit of a mixed track record, but is usually pretty good when he's talking about specific sources w/ devkits and whatnot.

We'll see; he's a little too confident in some of his "rumors" but does seem to have good actual sources.

IntentionalPun

Well given the situation with v. 2018 of their kernel, I believe tools arrives in 2022, it's buggy as fuck. All other version using 2013 kernel, it's not year, just some weird notation by MS. Take a look at "issues":

And that's just a surface.
That's the OS though, not dev tools or SDK.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You can't look at that list and make any inferences about SDK or tools though.
No you can't correct, but when front end is a mess it's easy to assume that backend is also. Also I have kind of experience when X1X came out how big of a mess it was. Also Windows Insider builds also suck ass now, those poor H1B workers doing all the work.

Timestamped

kyliethicc

Pretty crazy that AMD today announced the 6700 XT cards will have game clocks at up to 2.4 GHz, so boost clocks up to like 2.6 GHz. And these GPUs are 40 CUs, with even over 2.3 GHz base clock. So this makes the PS5's 36 CUs at 2.23 GHz look perfectly reasonable for a console. Not "overclocked."

m7pJSnm.jpg

Did anyone even finish death stranding lol. After an Hour of walking I was bored as fuck
I have the Platinum trophy and loved it. Over 100 hours. Very cool game, nothing else is quite like it.

But ya, its not for everyone lol.

Last edited:

Garani

RGT has a bit of a mixed track record, but is usually pretty good when he's talking about specific sources w/ devkits and whatnot.

We'll see; he's a little too confident in some of his "rumors" but does seem to have good actual sources.

I see your point, but I remain skeptical.

Please tell me this will be more than a rehashing/summary of the Neogaf thread.

Expect it to be.

Rudius

Another one of these "when XSX underforms it's always the software not hardware (again not the hardware i said, make no mistake, why don’t you listen)" pieces, i commend DF for their utmost consistency in throughput.
In this case it is. The game is mostly 4K60 on the One X, and almost that on the Pro.

assurdum

Banned
It's a great game man, I actually can't wait for that upgrade if it's real
Finished but great? Mmm. The more funny moments are just in the final part of the game when practically is less Death Stranding in the core. I just tried to replay it after ended it, to complete the side missions because build new structures and roads it's quite entertaining but every time the fucking chrono rain appears followed with the stranding souls, I have to give up. That's not fun, it's a slow torture for my nerves like the fuck Kojima thought. It's not fun walk for hours slowly be careful to those asshole.

Last edited:
A heads up for aussies. PS5 in stock at bigw online only.

pee wee herman psas GIF by absurdnoise

I pretty much given up trying to get one at the moment. Everytime it comes in stock it's gone in a few minutes.

I've been getting into PSX games at the moment. There's plenty of gems for me to play until the PS5 becomes readily available.

Right now I'm going through Megaman Legends and it's a pretty great game.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Jesb

For the first time I spotted one of the consoles today but it was the Xbox s. Was tempted to grab it. What is the consensus on the S. A good buy for those on 1080p and want to experience gamepass? Not really sure when I jump on 4K myself.

For the first time I spotted one of the consoles today but it was the Xbox s. Was tempted to grab it. What is the consensus on the S. A good buy for those on 1080p and want to experience gamepass? Not really sure when I jump on 4K myself.
The people who bought one seem to like it. It won't win any graphics awards but it will get supported for the 5+ years and with Gamepass its a great way to play lots of games this generation.

Zheph

Finished but great? Mmm. The more funny moments are just in the final part of the game when practically is less Death Stranding in the core. I just tried to replay it after ended it, to complete the side missions because build new structures and roads it's quite entertaining but every time the fucking chrono rain appears followed with the stranding souls, I have to give up. That's not fun, it's a slow torture for my nerves like the fuck Kojima thought. It's not fun walk for hours slowly be careful to those asshole.
I don’t know man, I quickly had fun but yeah there are a few things to slow you progress... if it’s not for you, better to just stop, plenty of others games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It depends on your budget and your willingness to wait. Twice the storage on the XSX, better IQ as you have the console downsampling to 1080p and always using better assets and effects presets, and you get the Xbox One X patched versions of BC titles.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned

I wouldn't recommend it.

A few people on here have bought one and instantly regretted it.

Included their quotes below, hope it helps.

No no no! I did the same and regretted every single day. There's no next gen game yet and the BC plays Xbox One S version of games.

Don't do it, save some money, buy the X. By that time the X will have more next gen games as well hopefully.

I had a Series S for like a week, I ended up selling it and bought a Series X instead.

get X....I used S but now i have X...

Shmunter

I’m not one to act as a sales advocate, but if I were in a similar position, I’d go digital PS5.

Only $100 more for a full next gen experience with ~20 of some of the finest games available included with ps+ to keep you busy, and 3/4 games added to the collection each month.

Note, you do need ps+ for the games. But often can be had on the cheap.

vr2rt8v76qs51.jpg

Last edited:

mejin

Be patient. I think there is more than a reason you can find more easily S than X.

ZywyPL

Banned
A good buy for those on 1080p and want to experience gamepass? Not really sure when I jump on 4K myself.

Yeah, it's an amazing machine for FullHD displays. much better than One S/X thanks to better CPU and SSD, and as oppose to older models you can be confident there will be games coming for in the next 8 years or so. But for 4K display definitely go with a 4K-capable console, PS5 or XSX.

I would not buy it. No disc drive is no-no to me + too weak specs. Save for xsex or get ps5de

Series S isnt popular anyway and that tells enough, here they have been available on stores since the launch + I have seen few series x on stores too.

BigLee74

I wouldn't recommend it.

A few people on here have bought one and instantly regretted it.

Included their quotes below, hope it helps.

You gonna dig out the quotes of people who like it too? You know, to try and at least convey the sense of impartiality?

XSS is a great machine for the price. If you’re not 4K, then it’s a good upgrade over any existing Xbox. My boy has one, and it impresses me every time I see it.

If your willing to splash the cash, and more importantly can find them anywhere (I hear Finland is good), then go for the XSX/PS5 for a more future proof machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom