• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawel86ck

Banned
Reality: Visual fidelity is largely dictated by console generations.

VFX Veteran: :messenger_loudly_crying:
It's hard to disprove VFXVeteran because certain games like GTA5 for example launched first on PS3 and X360, therefore we can assume GTA5 was made with x360/PS3 hardware in mind. But then look how much better PC port looked two years later. Rockstar must have created higher quality assets in the first place and then scaled everything down for the PS3 / x360 hardware.

However I also dont think things are so simple as VFXVeteran suggest, because at the same time there are many PC ports (the vast majority in fact) that looks almost the same as console version (I'm not counting basic stuff like like 4K, 60fps), so there must be a reason why developers dont use higher quality assets even on PC. Most of the time we have to wait until new generation of consoles will launch and then we can finally see some real changes (much better assets, better lighting etc.).

Last edited:

lynux3

It's hard to disprove VFXVeteran because certain games like GTA5 for example launched first on PS3 and X360, therefore we can assume GTA5 was made with x360/PS3 hardware in mind. But then look how much better PC port looked two years later. Rockstar must have created higher quality assets in the first place and then scaled everything down for the PS3 / x360 hardware.

However I also dont think things are so simple as VFXVeteran suggest, because at the same time there are many PC ports (the vast majority in fact) that looks almost the same, so there must be a reason why developers dont use higher quality assets even on PC.
Budgets, resources, etc. all play a role. Grand Theft Auto V was also remastered for PS4/Xbox One with higher quality assets.

THE:MILKMAN

That is a very detailed description of the game you saw, Osiris. As others have said it screams The Order, especially after your RAD hints the last week or so!

I do think back now about the new VASG/Sony San Diego team headed by Quentin Cobb. Could The Order 1887 be a joint development with RAD...?

Even if I'm way off here it is exciting to think about. I hope this demo you saw gets shown at the PS5 reveal.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Osiris from the tone of your previous posts is it safe to assume MS will have more 3rd party times exclusive for xsx compared to ps5 launch?

MS is killing it .... literally. This is the most excited I have been for a MS console ever and I have owned them all but if half of this shit is shown, MS E3 is going to be hard to beat.

everyone is worried about specs and I am telling you this will be the best games arms race since Nintendo vs Sega. I cannot fucking wait. And with that I'm off to work.

Last edited:

Reindeer

However I also dont think things are so simple as VFXVeteran suggest, because at the same time there are many PC ports (the vast majority in fact) that looks almost the same, so there must be a reason why developers dont use higher quality assets even on PC. Most of the time we have to wait until new generation of consoles will launch and then we can finally see some real changes (much better assets, better lighting etc.).
Because even for PC exclusives base hardware target will be what most most gamers own, which basically means that lower end hardware.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said except the last part. It's never moving in the direction of PC. Consoles are a thing because of convenience like you said. So what's better than convenience? More convenience. And that is definitely not PC. Not in a million years.

What is more convenient is an app on your phone, TV, tablet or whatever device you already own, and simply stream to it without having to buy anything extra or setup any settings. Or maybe a tiny device that connects to your TV to stream games. Any less convenience and it's a console.

People won't just drop everything and suddenly think PCs are more convenient. It never was and never will. Or else consoles would've never existed not succeeded and died a painful death in the 80s.

You're right. But when I suggest it's moving towards PC, I mean mostly that it's moving away from walled garden, bespoke devices. I imagine over time it will become more common to buy a (cheaper) pre-built PC. Perhaps these are produced or branded as Xbox or Playstation, but functionally they operate as a PC. Neutral OS, media/pc like capability, access to multiple storefronts and subscription/streaming services.

I'd love to be wrong. The competitive nature of dedicated consoles has been invaluable to the industry in terms of value, technology and investment. However I think it's unrealistic to expect consumers to keep buying a pre-defined, singular purpose device. Particularly given the uptake of things like Smartphones and connected TVs. At some point PC hardware will be as convenient as consoles today, and there will be little reason not to switch.

Dolodolo

MS is killing it .... literally. This is the most excited I have been for a MS console ever and I have owned them all but if half of this shit is shown, MS E3 is going to be hard to beat.

everyone is worried about specs and I am telling you this will be the best games arms race since Nintendo vs Sega. I cannot fucking wait. And with that I'm off to work.
So you're hinting at a game from WB, Resident Evil 8, something possible on Berserk exclusive to xbox ?
If you think that a third-party buyout is very exciting, then apparently you forget about Rise of the Tomb Raider
Microsoft still won't win the console race, but will only infuriate users again

Nickolaidas

Banned

Hellblade 2
Superman
Zombie game
Killer Instict 2

Shin

Banned
MS is killing it ....
It's more than just that, 2013 we all laughed at them for always online, yet here we are and digital took over.
Then there's Live, EA Access, GamePass, playing your games on whatever platform and last but not least catering to the hardcore.
I love Sony, always has probably always will but for the right reason(s), but since mid generation (Pro) I've been annoyed by them.
The lack of system wide super sampling on Pro is/was laughable and that's something Microsoft once again showed how to do it.
List goes on with BC (which I really don't care about), I'm rooting for Xbox because they tend to innovate for that alone I wish them well.

Dolodolo

It's more than just that, 2013 we all laughed at them for always online, yet here we are and digital took over.
Then there's Live, EA Access, GamePass, playing your games on whatever platform and last but not least catering to the hardcore.
I love Sony, always has probably always will but for the right reason(s), but since mid generation (Pro) I've been annoyed by them.
The lack of system wide super sampling on Pro is/was laughable and that's something Microsoft once again showed how to do it.
List goes on with BC (which I really don't care about), I'm rooting for Xbox because they tend to innovate for that alone I wish them well.
xbox will never be ahead of Playstation in any of the paradigms
Sorry if this sounds like console wars
Because I don't put it here
Just saying it like it is. They can buy out half of the gaming industry, but the Sony brand is too strong. Madly

pawel86ck

Banned
Because even for PC exclusives base hardware target will be what most most gamers own, which basically means that lower end hardware.
Maybe, but on PC you can just turn off more demanding settings, so developers should be able to include higher quality assets as long their game with lower settings will run on slower hardware, yet the vast majority of developers (besides rockstar) arnt doing that.

Reindeer

Maybe, but on PC you can just turn off more demanding settings, so developers should be able to include higher quality assets as long their game with lower settings will run on slower hardware, yet the vast majority of developers (besides rockstar) arnt doing that.
It would probably require a lot more work to create tech that would scale so widely that devs just don't see being worth investing their time and money in.

Just saying it like it is. They can buy out half of the gaming industry, but the Sony brand is too strong. Madly

Microsoft will not be at the same level from this current generation. Its a whole new ball game, they will be neck to neck with PS5. This will give console gaming life, excitement and passion. Console gaming is not dead. Both keeping each other toe to toe, or both being close to the finish line with maybe one being slightly ahead makes console gaming worth while. That is why you need them both to be on equal playing ground. Another analogy: You need android and iphones to be pretty close to each other spec wise-hardware and software wise so they are doing their best to fight for you.

vfxveteran can say all he wants that pc gaming is best. No argument there, but unless there is a desktop product out there with a console like form factor fighting for your living room with a simple UI, and easy to load up games with better graphics with $500-$700 price tag (since its suppose to be better, it will be slightly more expensive) then you will always have to dish out close to $1000-$2000 to have the best experience which most people dont have. And yes you can use the same analogy that people spend money on cell phones, why cant they use that money to buy laptop/desktop? I think it has to do with peoples priority, and the form factor of the pc. PC is always focused on being a PC first with a form factor of desktop tower and laptop. If OEMS can make and market a console like PC with console like form factor with the emphasis on gaming and then making PC'ish things secondary then you have a chance. Microsoft project santorini-core OS may further help bring this to life (we would wait and see what they have in store for build this year).

Back in 2012-2013, the specs for Xbone and PS4 were lackluster and were 'dead on arrival', but that didnt stop people from buying these consoles and playing great games and enjoying their purchase, nor should it stop you.

Happy Gaming people, 2020 is going to be phenominal for console, pc and mobile!

pawel86ck

Banned
It would probably require a lot more work to create tech that would scale so widely that devs just don't see being worth investing their time and money in.
Exactly, therefore what VFXVeteran has said (according to him horizon 1 on PC will look better than Horizon 2 on PS5) is nothing certain. In fact based on typical scenario (most of the time PC ports looks only marginaly better) we can assume Horizon 2 on PS5 should look much better compared to Horizon 1 on PC.

VFXVeteran@ can you explain why Assassins Creed Odyssey on PS4 looks better than AC Black Flag on PC? According your arguments it should be not the case, because even before PS4 launch PC hardware was much faster than PS4. And there are many games like that, yet you insist this time around next gen games will look worse.... but what has changed since PS3/PS4 days?

Last edited:

Reindeer

Exactly, therefore what VFXVeteran has said (according to him horizon 1 on PC will look better than Horizon 2 on PS5) is nothing certain. In fact based on typical scenario (most of the time PC ports looks only marginaly better) we can assue Horizon 2 on PS5 should look much better compared to Horizon 1 on PC.

VFXVeteran@ can you explain why Assassins Creed Odyssey on PS4 looks better than AC Black Flag on PC? There are many games like that, and yet you never take games like that into account when you formulate your opinions.
A game that was made as console exclusive rarely shows much improvement visually on PC, just look at Detroit Become Human.

joe_zazen

It must be RADs next game, with all the hints that Osiris has made during the month... Now, pls confirm Its on ps5 so no debate and worries can build up that MS totally dominating Sony...

like the Germans were dominated in 1917?

i kid i kid.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Better description Monster walks upright until it runs across the room has four yellow eyes, four arms and two legs. Is brownish in color and stands taller than the main character until it runs across the room using all six limbs. Kind of insect like but very scary. The environment main character and monster all look real. Like not stylistic but photo realistic also I have never seen anyone use sub surface scattering to light a scene.
No one in order 1866 had for yellow eyes. Also this sounds like a multiplatform game.

TLZ

Banned
You were right insect like not human.

Was asked to pull the picture.

No i couldn't for this game but the other one I made as easy as possible.
yes (sort of just this one is Ancient) but its not the creature in the video you all have been posting, it carries a curse that you can be AFFLICTED with.
You don't have to pinpoint or say who, but can you say if anyone guessed it at least, so far? Just a simple yes or no ;)

Reindeer

Senua's Saga
Superman
State of Decay 3
Killer Instinct 2

HarryKS

Figuratively.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood (creature has four arms) then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

Lets see if anyone else can get this detailed. It is the best looking anything that I have ever seen and the character models lighting and physics are on another level. The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else and this game has not been revealed but I have hinted at it several times. This is not a cut scene or a render target it is actual game play and it is very impressive. Well the end is a cut scene but man ..... You literally cannot tell the difference and Yes

This was definitely all one shot.

Edited to add: I was just given the go ahead to post this and it is from an early vertical slice that I did get to see.
And before anyone asks No I cannot describe what the man is wearing because it would be a dead giveaway.
My dick touching the ceiling right now

joe_zazen

Microsoft will not be at the same level from this current generation. Its a whole new ball game, they will be neck to neck with PS5. This will give console gaming life, excitement and passion. Console gaming is not dead. Both keeping each other toe to toe, or both being close to the finish line with maybe one being slightly ahead makes console gaming worth while. That is why you need them both to be on equal playing ground. Another analogy: You need android and iphones to be pretty close to each other spec wise-hardware and software wise so they are doing their best to fight for you.

vfxveteran can say all he wants that pc gaming is best. No argument there, but unless there is a desktop product out there with a console like form factor fighting for your living room with a simple UI, and easy to load up games with better graphics with $500-$700 price tag (since its suppose to be better, it will be slightly more expensive) then you will always have to dish out close to $1000-$2000 to have the best experience which most people dont have. And yes you can use the same analogy that people spend money on cell phones, why cant they use that money to buy laptop/desktop? I think it has to do with peoples priority, and the form factor of the pc. PC is always focused on being a PC first with a form factor of desktop tower and laptop. If OEMS can make and market a console like PC with console like form factor with the emphasis on gaming and then making PC'ish things secondary then you have a chance. Microsoft project santorini-core OS may further help bring this to life (we would wait and see what they have in store for build this year).

Back in 2012-2013, the specs for Xbone and PS4 were lackluster and were 'dead on arrival', but that didnt stop people from buying these consoles and playing great games and enjoying their purchase, nor should it stop you.

Happy Gaming people, 2020 is going to be phenominal for console, pc and mobile!

Ideally, both companies fighting toe to toe for customers. But goddamn, it is hard being a sony fan if you want communication, engagement, and a stream of new innovative stuff. Sony is coasting. Maybe floodgates will open, and we’ll get a more open, xbox approach in feb., but these last two years have me pessimistic.

But then again, I kinda hate serious experience games like Days Gone, GoW, and tlou2 looks miserable AF. I imagine if you love those kind of games, it is way easier.

Shin

Banned
I agree, not the point I'm making though.
Just pointing out things that stood out to me along the way. Every company sells millions of consoles, I often think some forget how much A million by itself is, there aren't any real losers in gaming IMO.

By nature I give credit where due or flack for that matter.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

So hellblade 2, rocksteady superman game, state of decay and killer instinct.

Rocksteady is the biggest one here. Crazy.

Aceofspades

Banned
PS5 reveal event invitations will be sent to press in next afew days, Sony also extended invitations to company investors for the upcoming event. Announcement later this month. see you.

Well, that is expected . I could have wrote the same prediction with 90% certainty and I know nothing.

If anyone wants to get his 5 minute of fame he/she should provide "specific" info for everyone to speculate about just like what Osiris did recently and what Klee said months back when he clearly stated that both PS5 and XsX are above 10TF with PS5 edge.

Klee and Osiris are the ONLY ones who provided relatively specific info. The others is just throwing shit at the wall in the hope for something to stick.

And if I try doing the same like most so called insiders here or at Reeee , I will post a similar messages to the following:

Sony plans to release PS5 in october to catch MS off guard , but there is a possibility of PS5 having production issues so they might stick back to original mid November or even early December release date, my sources say Sony will be coming with tons of minblowing games. Bonus PS4 BC day 1.
My guesses
🔥🔥🔥🔥

Notice : the bold is all fabrication of my mind but its not that far fetched, in fact its highly likely to happen.

My point is to all so called insiders, be specific or STFU.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What's your final PS5 specs estimation? Still 13 TF?
There is no estimation. target specs: SeX: 12+, PS5: 13+

Well, that is expected . I could have wrote the same prediction with 90% certainty and I know nothing.

If anyone wants to get his 5 minute of fame he/she should provide "specific" info for everyone to speculate about just like what Osiris did recently and what Klee said months back when he clearly stated that both PS5 and XsX are above 10TF with PS5 edge.

Klee and Osiris are the ONLY ones who provided relatively specific info. The others is just throwing shit at the wall in the hope for something to stick.

And if I try doing the same like most so called insiders here or at Reeee , I will post a similar messages to the following:

Sony plans to release PS5 in october to catch MS off guard , but there is a possibility of PS5 having production issues so they might stick back to original mid November or even early December release date, my sources say Sony will be coming with tons of minblowing games. Bonus PS4 BC day 1.
My guesses
🔥🔥🔥🔥

Notice : the bold is all fabrication of my mind but its not that far fetched, in fact its highly likely to happen.

Thanks.
This kind of bullshit is why i wont post anything next-gen related in this thread anymore.

Tenka Musou

Banned

My guesses
🔥🔥🔥🔥

Thanks.
Fuckin THank You

This kind of bullshit is why i wont post anything next-gen related in this thread anymore.
I don’t think he was talking about u as you have full spec details last month . It’s matter of seeing if you get vindicated or not

LED Guy?

Banned
Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood (creature has four arms) then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

Lets see if anyone else can get this detailed. It is the best looking anything that I have ever seen and the character models lighting and physics are on another level. The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else and this game has not been revealed but I have hinted at it several times. This is not a cut scene or a render target it is actual game play and it is very impressive. Well the end is a cut scene but man ..... You literally cannot tell the difference and Yes

This was definitely all one shot.

Edited to add: I was just given the go ahead to post this and it is from an early vertical slice that I did get to see.
And before anyone asks No I cannot describe what the man is wearing because it would be a dead giveaway.
Maybe a new Resident Evil game (Resident Evil 8) featuring Leon S. Kennedy with the best graphics ever from CAPCOM, because what you described that the 'The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else ' so I see that Leon is the best bit, maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Deen

Neo Member
It's so hard to scroll through these posts about "Are we at 9TF or 14TF now", I'm just sitting here refreshing F5 for some actual news / leaks about PS Meeting, pictures of the consoles or new games and or console features.

gaming_noob

No offence to Neogaf, but if you had real insider info what convinced you to share them in a less popular forum (in comparison to REE). For internet rep/credibility? For someone like Orisis I can understand because he’s been here many years, but you’ve only registered in Feb 2019. I kind of think you’re a burner account from Xbox trying to generate hype and eventual disappointment at the reveal. 😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom