• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, but that could also have to do with the form factor the console might have. We'll see eventually. I would be surprised if Sony doesn't drop any information in March.

Well everything we've heard points to it being expensive. Adding 1 tflop over XBSX is not going to be costly on its own, but the cooling required to get there assuming 56cus each will be comparatively, on top of a more expensive chip per unit as each one has to be validated to run 2ghz (which still serms unrealistically high to me).

I dont mind paying $500 if its 13+tflops, uber fast SSD and custom RT as well as next gen VR ready.

This will blow PC gaming out the proverbial water VFXVeteran VFXVeteran 😙

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Well everything we've heard points to it being expensive. Adding 1 tflop over XBSX is not going to be costly on its own, but the cooling required to get there assuming 56cus each will be comparatively, on top of a more expensive chip per unit as each one has to be validated to run 2ghz (which still serms unrealistically high to me).

I dont mind paying $500 if its 13+tflops, uber fast SSD and custom RT as well as next gen VR ready.

This will blow PC gaming out the proverbial water VFXVeteran VFXVeteran 😙
Yeah definitely. If Sony is able to keep the price at $499 and deliver all that, it would be a steal.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Incorrect. Yesterday the mods deleted me a meme I made laughing about the 9.2 NeoGaf Team (it was a funny one) :)

Your post in the thread |OT| Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Speculation/Analysis/Leaks Thread was deleted. Reason: Lay off the low effort bait and discuss instead of meming.
Today at 1:54 AM

The note I received was something like: Quit the 13 years old fanboyism. That made me 21 years younger.

147541.png

LED Guy?

Banned
Tom posted 4 and 12 in November. No one picked up on it until the Series X reveal and he pointed it out.
Klee said both are DOUBLE DIGITS TFs way before anyone had even speculated that both consoles will have a double digits number, everyone were basing their predictions off of the AMD's 2019 Navi line-up of GFX cards, so literally everyone was guessing 8 or 9 TF MAXIMUM, even Digital Foundry was like that as well.

Kleegamefan said both consoles are more feature packed and more powerful than RX 5700 XT which is AMD's most powerful Navi card in 2019, which is a RDNA 1 chip, and it had 9.5 Navi TFs, he even confirmed that PS5 is a bit more powerful in the GPU department.

So it is safe to say that PS5 will be 12 TFs (or even more) RDNA 2 GPU.

Last edited:

Moses85

Klee said both are DOUBLE DIGITS TFs way before anyone had even speculated that both consoles will have a double digits number, everyone was basing off of the AMD's 2019 Navi line-up of GFX cards, so literally everyone was guessing 8 or 9 TF MAXIMUM, even Digital Foundry was like that as well.

Kleegamefan said both consoles are more feature packed and more powerful than RX 5700 XT which is AMD's most powerful Navi card in 2019, which is a RDNA 1 chip, and it had 9.5 Navi TFs, he even confirmed that PS5 is a bit more powerful in the GPU department.

The only thing which is save is that Sony is to quiet. They tread their fans like dogs with their silence.
You remember their slogan?

„This is for the Players“

I can’t see that anymore.

They shall give us the TF and RDNA.

For now, I need no secret sauce.

Kobi

Honestly, it was safe to say that no console would be rdna 2, but here we are. Until it comes from the horses mouth, nothing is safe. Also remember that if any leaks are true, they are Dev kit specs and not of the final product - they could be higher or lower.

This is why we need to see the console design, it'll help us with a more educated guess.

Also, I remember a lot of people hating on the xsx design, not being able to fit in their entertainment units. Remember, if the ps5 is only a tiny bit bigger than the PS4 pro then under no circumstances should you put that in an entertainment unit. Which is why the xsx design is great because it only take up a small footprint. So I hope the ps5 design is similar as these things will need plenty air to breathe.

Insiderus

Neo Member
Because it was at the time :messenger_neutral:

I think you're trying to hard.

How can they say the XSX is the most powerful when "supposedly" they know nothing of the PS5

You are actually the one who trying to hard

Microsoft announced Xbox Scorpio is "the most powerful console ever" on June 2016 before Sony officially announced PS4 pro specs which it was on September 2016 because MS knows they have more powerful console than Playstation, this time is not

Nice try tho

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You are actually the one who trying to hard

Microsoft announced Xbox Scorpio is "the most powerful console ever" on June 2016 before Sony officially announced PS4 pro specs which it was on September 2016 because MS knows they have more powerful console than Playstation, this time is not

Nice try tho

Because they knew they were launching it a year later than the PS4 Pro, so it wouldn't make sense that the Pro would still be more powerful if they were planning to release a $500 console.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Ok here is what I’ll say, taken from what I’ve been told plus captain obvious statements.

* Both systems are rdna 2, but not. They are essentially rdna 1.9 so to speak, with features bolted on, meaning that you can call it the next generation of rdna, you could even call it rdna 2 if you wanted. I wouldn’t myself but that seems to be what they are doing so ok.

* as of very recently SX still had the cpu power crown in an older dev kit (which still wasn’t final), which matches these specs. Sony have a more final dev kit out that matches their target specs that is clocked slightly lower. The actual difference in cpu clock speed isn’t as high as you may think, but still in favour of SX (like a couple hundres MHz) Cpu clocks can be changed slightly, if you have enough room for it, but don’t expect miracles. I don’t have a value, a hard figure, sorry.

* GPU power grunt is much much the same as the above, with SX taking a lead over PS5, again based on target specs and finality of dev kits. This can also be changed if you have the room for it, even now, but again talking slight, slight clock increases. PS5 is already having higher temp thermals, so I doubt they can do much (see below). I also don’t have a concrete figure here 😭

* memory wise, both systems are on par. 16gb ddr6. Let go of the HBM2 dream, it was never on the cards to begin with. What I can’t ascertain however, is if either are using a split memory pool for OS level tasks. I haven’t had a single straight answer on that one, other than “its complicated, but yes, and no”. That leads me to believe that possibly something else is going on here. If the PS5 has a separate look of let’s say 4gb DDR4 then they can use the full 16gb for games opposed to less for the SX. But what’s been alluded to for me is a bit strange, almost like you don’t have to worry about it as much. Which I can’t understand at all? Any ideas?

* cooling wise I’ll mention again that SX is silent, even in its older dev kits. But PS5, everything I’ve heard has said quiet, much quieter than ps4, but they had issues with thermals being too high still. Seems to be an ongoing thing as this has been an ongoing issue. So i expect both to be quiet, sx slightly quieter, but much better than the jet engines of today. That also lines up with a higher boom price for cooling on PS5, because maybe they are at a good sound level, but not at a good thermal level, so are pushing that further.

* SSD tech, I’ve covered so many times it makes my eyes bleed. Sony are targeting about 5.5-5.8gb/sec. SX are “within 1gb/sec of this, maybe lower if they hit their target”. Essentially, the controller quality and speed difference are in favour for PS5, but as with other components it won’t actually matter for 99% of shit you see or do, and even first parties will have a hard time showing that. Don’t expect this massive 2x faster rubbish that some people are peddling.

* nobody knows anything to do with price. Nobody. Anybody that comes along and starts blabbering about price like a set in stone thing is full of it. If I had to guess, I would say they will be on par, due to how similar things are? But that’s a guess. Both companies can take a Loss but that’s up to them. I would wager £450-£500 myself, as anything more would be a tough ask. But this is an interesting battlefield to watch.

* terra flop wise, it’s hard to get a clear picture of. I’m actually going to say what I was told earlier... “Notice MS keep saying it’s 12tf of power, but not once have they said 12.0tf?” So it’s possible SX may be higher than a bang on 12tf, such as 12.2. No idea. But target specs for PS5 have been high 10tf to low 11tf for a while, including their more final dev kit. It’s worth noting that if PS5 release let’s say a 11.2tf PS5 and ms release a 12tf SX, the price of the systems will be essentially on par, but the performance will also be so damn close you wouldn’t really notice unless pointed out. I don’t know why people are posting above 13tf, 13.8? Haha, ok. Erm, look, the 12 dream was very hard to reach at a decent price, a decent thermal balance profile and keeping things realistic. A small margin of difference lower in tf power isn’t gong to make a huge difference to price of components. But pushing higher is going into too far into the expensive vs achievable realm. It’s just not going to happen. Your walking head first into an area where price, heat and yields are all working against your profit margins, and it’s just not realistic to think any of that. But who knows? Maybe Sony have a trick up their sleeve? But if they do, my few friends with dev kits (one first party) haven’t been privy to it.

That’s pretty much all I’ve been told, all I can tell without going into “on shit” territory, and a little guess work. Based on a few chats with a few friends of mine, that all could be tales from their arse, are all strikingly similar despite working for different dev houses in different locations. I have no idea about form factor or what the consoles look like, sadly. The final PS5 dev kit that’s floating around is still very much like the V shape, just smaller. So who knows, maybe they are going that way with design? No idea.

Only reason I’ve posted the above as i have, is so if anything breaks news wise for Sony, I have something to point back to, because even though I’ve spent weeks posting in this thread and people have read a lot of my break downs etc, suddenly I have to provide evidence etc of past posts? so here is the search term to find it “GavsPostNobodyGivesAShitAbout”.

But I won’t stress it enough... these consoles are going to be so close. It will be like picking between two twin sisters, one with a mole on her left tit and one with a mole on her left arse cheek. But decide if your a boob or a tit man and have some fun. I’ve been saying that for a while, and before that the ps5 had the edge. Things change, as they did a few times before, but I’m thinking this is where the doe fall this time.

I’m not an insider, I never want to be called that, I just have a few friends I’ve worked with before who work at a few select places. Om an indie developer who has worked with several people in the past who have access to development kits. For all I know they are having a laugh with me, but it all seems to match up, and if you read the tea leaves, it all makes sense as a good prediction.

So as always just go enjoy the games you want on the system you like. The above is all pure speculation, don’t take it as final, don’t take it as insider knowledge, just have a little fun with it. The 9tf dream is dead. But so is the dream of one console being vastly better than the other. I know instantly people will jump on me and start having a go, and that’s to be expected. I’m essentially telling you something you don’t want to hear, so it’s inevitable. But use your noggins lads.

Juat have fun, and be excellent to each other.

LED Guy?

Banned
You literally stated the post above the one I quoted, that it is safe to say that PS5 is 12tf or above. You have this shit figured out, why are you asking him?

It wont matter either way. Sony games will punch above their weight regardless of the teraflops.
I dunno what got you triggered, these are my thoughts, but nothing is confirmed, that's why I asked him, calm down buddy, It's an Internet forum. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Insiderus

Neo Member
Because they knew they were launching it a year later than the PS4 Pro, so it wouldn't make sense that the Pro would still be more powerful if they were planning to release a $500 console.

Well you still trying to hard

When Microsoft revealed 6Tf Xbox console on June 2016, how MS knows that 6tf is enough for Xbox to be "most powerful console ever" before Sony officially reavel the 4.2 Tf console ??
Imagine Sony decide to delaye ps4 pro for 6 months or one year after MS revealed Xbox Scorpio

How MS knows Sony will release ps4 pro one year early than Xbox one X if nothing is official?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Well you still trying to hard

When Microsoft revealed 6Tf Xbox console on June 2016, how MS knows that 6TF is enough for Xbox to be "most powerful console ever" before Sony officially reveal the 4.2 Tf console ??
Imagine Sony decided to delayed ps4 pro for 6 months or one year after MS revealed Xbox Scorpio
Because they knew they were going to be 1 year later and would sell it for $500... They know how the game works. Sony delaying for 6 months doesn't make it so easy to just up the power to more than 6 TF. But look if this is about you hoping the PS5 is more powerful than the XSX, then keep hanging onto that small straw. I don't really care which one is 5% stronger because I believe based on all the insider information that they'll just be super close. The differentiator will be games and services,

Last edited by a moderator:

Insiderus

Neo Member
Because they knew they were going to be 1 year later and would sell it for $500... They know how the game works. Sony delaying for 6 months doesn't make it so easy to just up the power to more than 6 TF. But look if this is about you hoping the PS5 is more powerful than the XSX, then keep hanging onto that small straw. I don't really care which one is 5% stronger because I believe based on all the insider information that they'll just be super close. The differentiator will be games and services,
How they knew they were going to be 1 year later if Sony didn't say anything at that time?

What I am trying to reach is both companies know each other , so when MS said Xbox Scorpio is the most powerful console ever because they knew they had the power before even Sony said anything about the pro, MS already knew Sony is making mid-gen console ,,
this time is not that's why MS changes the statement from the most powerful CONSOLE to the most powerful XBOX

Gudji

People keep forgetting a few things:

- The reason why PS4 was a better gaming machine was also due to MS focusing more on media stuff, meaning they invested in ESRAM and 8 GB DDR3 because they thought that would be the best solution for the console as a media center
- The reason why XBO X has more TF than PS4 PRO is due to having different BOMs and one year difference between them
- PS5 and XSX will be releasing in the same year with similar BOMs and target price points. They're going to be performing similar and be priced similar

Anyone that keeps pushing for a 3 TF difference is going to get slapped in the face in a couple of weeks.

I dunno what got you triggered, these are my thoughts, but nothing is confirmed, that's why I asked him, calm down buddy, It's an Internet forum. 🤣🤣🤣
Triggered? Oh I see, the old I have nothing, accuse the other person of something routine. Gotcha. Forgot, internet forum and all.

M-V2

- The reason why PS4 was a better gaming machine was also due to MS focusing more on media stuff, meaning they invested in ESRAM and 8 GB DDR3 because they thought that would be the best solution for the console as a media center
- The reason why XBO X has more TF than PS4 PRO is due to having different BOMs and one year difference between them
- PS5 and XSX will be releasing in the same year with similar BOMs and target price points. They're going to be performing similar and be priced similar

Anyone that keeps pushing for a 3 TF difference is going to get slapped in the face in a couple of weeks.

Dude I took alot of screenshots, I can't wait to post them all as soon as Sony reveal the ps5. Many people are gonna leave this thread & twitter as soon as I post them 🤣🤣🤣

sinnergy

Yeah but for blue team, we have all seen. The tests, 9.2, they will clock as fast as they can be around 10 TF. Still good for a 399 machine but no beast like series X.

Last edited:

DrDamn

* memory wise, both systems are on par. 16gb ddr6. Let go of the HBM2 dream, it was never on the cards to begin with. What I can’t ascertain however, is if either are using a split memory pool for OS level tasks. I haven’t had a single straight answer on that one, other than “its complicated, but yes, and no”. That leads me to believe that possibly something else is going on here. If the PS5 has a separate look of let’s say 4gb DDR4 then they can use the full 16gb for games opposed to less for the SX. But what’s been alluded to for me is a bit strange, almost like you don’t have to worry about it as much. Which I can’t understand at all? Any ideas?

I'd guess that it's much quicker to swap apps/games in and out of memory with a decent SSD. So 4GB reserved for OS isn't needed. In game a very thin and light OS runs, but in dash or if you switch to a browser/Netflix etc then stuff gets swapped out. Just speculating.

So, SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage you said that Klee is full of shit.

Klee is full of shit. I know it. You know it. To see people quoting him as a legitimate source after the guy bizarrely claimed he had full specs for both and then disappear for an extended ass time right after dropping such a remark is absolutely laughable. He saw people beginning to question and doubt what he's been saying and reacted desperately to squelch it, but had no immediate followup to his boast. There's a reason he asked to be banned. He knows he doesn't know anything, and is not confident about any of what he has said. If you know what you've been saying is true, you stand confidently and take the lumps when they come. You don't bail out.

I can't see a single instance where he was right about anything that anybody who pays attention couldn't have similarly said with zero knowledge. You think next gen consoles, much less the next xbox console, having VRS is a legit leak by him when that was common sense based on the fact that Microsoft owns the damn patent and it's apart of DirectX? Why exactly wouldn't a next gen xbox console support that? He had no damn idea xbox series x was 12 teraflops or anywhere near it until the VGA reveal, and once that information was out in the wild, you could see him in real time desperately make attempts to shift or twist the narrative to fit with what he's been telling people all along.

It was easy to say that the PS5 was this much more powerful when he believed that Xbox Series X wasn't packing a GPU that is likely 12 teraflops of compute power. Once he did learn as much, a significant degree of his confidence was suddenly stripped away and he began to ever so slightly backpedal while occasionally still trying to showcase some false bravado to make people think that he's still as confident with what he was saying prior to the VGA reveal. Suddenly it became nonsense about how things may have changed etc. If you have a legitimate source that you are corresponding with on a regular basis, no, after a certain point in time, nothing can change, nothing as significant as an entire redesign of the chip that will materially alter its range of compute power. He has always been unable to fully commit. Why? He knows jack.

If you can't smell the bullshit from a mile away with that guy, I don't know what to tell you. This doesn't have to mean the AMD github leak is 100% accurate, no, not at all. In fact, I'd very much love a more powerful PS5 than what seems implied, but if we do get one there's no fucking way I'm crediting a guy so obviously full of shit like he was "right all along" when he quite clearly hasn't been. I've even seen others cite matt. May I again laugh at that one? The man couldn't explicitly say that the amd github leak was false. He made one cryptic statement about it not meaning anything, and when someone automatically assumed that this meant one thing or another regarding ps5 vs xbox series x, he too quickly backpedaled and said that he wasn't implying what they think. Meaning, he, too, can't even fully commit to it not being accurate once people began ascribing meaning to his remark about the amd github leak. So why even make the remark he made at all? He didn't like the implications and made a desperate reach to discredit it, but the moment someone suggested he was doing precisely that, he backed away from it some. One foot in, one foot out. All "insiders" so far have been wrong. Some were even leaning towards these consoles being in the upper single digits until it looked like one may end up in the 12TF range. I'd want a PS5 in that range to or better. May not seem that way to some just because I prefer xbox as my primary gaming platform, but I support all platforms. Playstation, PC, Switch, Xbox. I actively game on them all depending on what I feel like playing. I love my xbox, but when I wanted to play control, I did that on my 2070 enabled gaming laptop through my HDTV because I wanted to experience the ray traced version, something I couldn't get on any of the consoles.

So, any nice words for Hmqgg, an Xbox insider, who said that XSX is not RDNA 2?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I'd guess that it's much quicker to swap apps/games in and out of memory with a decent SSD. So 4GB reserved for OS isn't needed. In game a very thin and light OS runs, but in dash or if you switch to a browser/Netflix etc then stuff gets swapped out. Just speculating.

Yeah, its weird, I’m getting the feeling by that “yes and no” comment that actually, OS level stuff is going to be a lot different to how it’s executed in memory now.

Also, has anybody updated their one x to the new dashboard? I just got the update, and... wow... it’s bloody fast. It loads things right away. No hyper-bollock but clicking my games and apps and the app icons all load instantly, and I have hundreds of games. Brilliant update.

Neo Blaster

Not if that fucking lockheart is still a thing.
The price option opposed to XSX power people talk about is the One family, not Lockart. If there was next gen Xbox exclusives I could understand a fourth console in the market, but with One S/X running every single first party game for some time, makes more sense for Lockart to come when S/X get retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom