• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Every single contribution that you have made in here so far has been done to antagonize and troll.
Oh piss off, you are allowing people to call others bitches and xbots but God forbid someone exposes these fake insiders , the ones who were insisting on stuff like a 4k drive on the pro and a February event for the ps5. I guess both forums are banking on bullshit to get some members and some traffic. As you can guess I don’t give a shit if I am banned. I will justic back and watch laughing when the ps5 specs are revealed
[/QUOTE]

<Sees the ban apparently take effect>

Welp, so it is written, so it shall be done! :)

RookX22

Shut your mouth I know NOTHING.

Funny .... I checked my Inbox over on Era for (shits and giggles) and here and thats the thing I have been asked about most. You are not allowed to say SUPERMAN or WB will BeAT you over the head.

Statement
BGs BGs It's official .... I am excited as hell.
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran I actually have a question you might be able to help me with. My new PC rig should be playing everything flawlessly but I am running into frame pacing issues that I didn't have before the SLI 2080ti set up. Is this common and is their any way to fix it? Only pops up on For Honor, Siege and its really bad on BF1 and unbearable on Star wars JFI. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add
Anyone want to play Smite, Siege or For Honor on any system? got nothing to do today until I drive to Staples Center.
Sli is just terribly unoptimized, there are tons of benchmark videos on youtube compare sli vs single card. Single card usually always wins or is tied.

no one knows wtf is going on with github, i doubt devs would know which means osiris likely doesnt know.

what we do know is that the clockspeeds of the ps4 and pro are in the ariel and oberon gpu profiles. thats literally the only link.

you know where we found the xbox one and xbox one x cpu clockspeeds? in an amd gpu leaked last week with the exact 1.7 and 2.3 clock profiles. its gpu was clocked at 1.2 ghz. and yet you dont see anyone from team github giving it any kind of validity even for lockhart because that would only be 3 tflops. i guess team data doesnt like it when the data doesnt suit them.

xDxeJl5.jpg
Here’s something that, for a reason God only knows, I just learned about Github today. People keep clinging to the 36-40 CU Oberon shown in the leak, but in fact, at the time, that was the ONLY NAVI APU available for testing. That means that the final PS5 chip could be just as likely, or probably more than likely, be a 52 or 56 CU APU. A higher than max-40-CU part didn’t exist at that time! This shocked me today when I heard this and it even further lowered the relevance of github in my mind.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I edited mine too, so that I defined what I interpreted that to mean. Good lord I am wasting way too much time hoping to get some PS5 specs the moment they're announced.

Yeah, it could be two ways.

Not that "something more exciting". Meaning the 13.8 would be more, and it's exciting but not as much as that.

Or if you add the comma... Not that, something more exciting. Then yeah, wtf moment. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Funny .... I checked my Inbox over on Era for (shits and giggles) and here and thats the thing I have been asked about most. You are not allowed to say SUPERMAN or WB will BeAT you over the head.

Statement
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran I actually have a question you might be able to help me with. My new PC rig should be playing everything flawlessly but I am running into frame pacing issues that I didn't have before the SLI 2080ti set up. Is this common and is their any way to fix it? Only pops up on For Honor, Siege and its really bad on BF1 and unbearable on Star wars JFI. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add
Anyone want to play Smite, Siege or For Honor on any system? got nothing to do today until I drive to Staples Center.
Look man, I want to believe you, but there's stuff just not adding up.

I'm well aware of the goings at WB (the site I work for consitently posts leaks and info on TV/Film updates) and fully know about a Superman MOVIE, but nothing on a game.

Almost all of WB's studios are accounted for:

• WB Montreal - Batman Reboot
  • Rocksteady - DC team up game
  • Netherrealm - MK11 DLC/most likely Injustice 3
  • Monolith - Multiplayer game with Nemesis System
  • IO Interactive - Hitman 3/ Multiplayer shooter
  • Turtle Rock - Back 4 Blood
  • TT Games - Lego Star Wars
  • Avalanche - Harry Potter
And the rest are on mobile stuff. Now unless they struck up another partnership with someone, they couldn't possibly have a Superman game ready to launch soon. And they wouldn't, especially not with Batman launching in the Fall.

Statement

Edited to add

have-you-tried-turning-it-off-and-on-again-gif-10.gif

(just realized the first gif had a misspelling!)

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

The ps5 is not 13.8tf Jesus fuck a duck. That’s almost as stupid as it being 9tf. Now let’s get back on track and talk about the bomb shell that the PS5 uses DISKS. Why type do you think? Round or square?
IT's strange why the PS5 DevKit looks so different compared to PS4, 4Pro and 3. 😁 what did the PS2 devkit look like again?

devilNprada

I mean a mid life refresh is expected from both companies. But the reality is the market has two groups of distinct consumers. Those who want the top of the line tech (Apple 11 Pro Max) and those who just want new but without all the extra bells and whistles (Apple 11). Both will buy, but both have two different price points.

I agree.. But two Sku's is not a popular concept here on GAF..
I fear at $599 my kid will be playing with himself.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The ps5 is not 13.8tf Jesus fuck a duck. That’s almost as stupid as it being 9tf. Now let’s get back on track and talk about the bomb shell that the PS5 uses DISKS. Why type do you think? Round or square?

This is stupid. Everyone KNOWS that round and square disks are all so....last decade! The PS5 is CLEARLY going to be using the new isosceles triangle shaped 'quantum-bit' disks! That's the only thing that will support the massive amounts of data that will be needed to support the level of graphic detail and raytracing that will be going on. Not to mention the data to support the PS5's 'true AI' functions that will allow games to react to players, anticipate moves and even develop it's own strategies to beat them, all without developers having to include any special code!

Come on, man! Get real! Asking about round or square disks...... PLEASE! :messenger_winking_tongue:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Alright people. One last time..

I heard that there are 2 consoles per company. The mid-gen refreshes are going to be introduced at release so that these consoles can run the entire 7yr cycle.

XSX that was released yesterday is the top end one. 12TFLOPS
There will be a base Xbox Series X that is slower than that one.

Sony is releasing 2 PS models. The base PS5 is 9TFLOPs . Their other one is also top of the line to compete with XSX top dog.

This all makes sense now as to why people are getting mixed numbers for each of the platforms.

I also heard that the top of the line models will be expensive. No pricing but I would guess around $600.

Also no dates on when the top models will come out for PS5.

My guess is that they are going to release both models at the same time.

This is ALL I know and won't be fishing for anymore info.

I’m trying to think of the best way to describe it and I really can’t think of a suitable example (so I’ll use a game engine) but from what I can gather, you can rewrite a game engine everything from scratch, or you can bolt on new features to an existing engine. Both will get you the result you want, but obviously only one will be a new fresh engine. So while you will get RDNA 2 features, its more like RDNA 1.9 In that it’s not quite the full deal, but does the job just fine. Same on both consoles btw, they both do it a little different but same result.

Actually the generational advances in a GPU micro-architecture have nothing to do with game engines or programming interfaces.

The base micro-architectural design corresponds to two things; an instruction set architecture and physical architectural design in silicon.

Generational advances that are often designated by numbered iterations, e.g. GCN 1, GCN 2, GCN 3 etc.. are pretty much defined by an arbitrary collection of added features to a core micro-architecture that remains largely the same.

It's mostly marketing. So I don't think it hard to believe that MS is referencing a subset of feature additions to the GPU micro-architecture to call XSX RDNA 2, when in fact it may not necessarily include all RDNA 2 feature additions that will exist on future desktop cards.

RDNA 2 will very likely comprise some optional features that are less relevant to home games consoles (e.g. a Tensor Core equivalent). So omitting them from XSX doesn't necessarily make XSX less than RDNA 2 when not every desktop chip marketed as RDNA 2 will include the same.

I would surmise that there are a core set of feature additions that will be considered to represent the second generation RDNA micro-architecture, e.g. VRS, RT, Machine Learning optimisations in the WGPs, in addition to some major power efficiency optimisations that were developed too late to be included in the first gen RDNA AMD products.

That said, the consoles will very likely include some unique customisations that will be exclusive to those projects; as they make sense in light of the overall system architectural design.

Not that something more exciting.

This is completely subjective. I recently had the opportunity to have a crash course in art design and artistic decision. It may TECHNICALLY be better but that does not mean it will look better. A great example is RDR2 vs Horizon ZD's lighting. One is realistic as fuck and the other takes artistic liberties. One is technically superior while the other subjectively looks better because of the art design.

Do I hear the rumble of a frothing, stampeding VFXVeteran VFXVeteran in the distance?...

bitbydeath

I heard that there are 2 consoles per company. The mid-gen refreshes are going to be introduced at release so that these consoles can run the entire 7yr cycle.

Sony is releasing 2 PS models. The base PS5 is 9TFLOPs . Their other one is also top of the line to compete with XSX top dog.

This all makes sense now as to why people are getting mixed numbers for each of the platforms.

I also heard that the top of the line models will be expensive. No pricing but I would guess around $600.

I think the 9TF was just the silver tower that played PS4 games to test the SSD which was mentioned in the first wired article.

chilichote

That is what i believe (at least for Sony), because it makes no sense to come with an 9TF Console in 2020.

It get's exciting 🤗

HawarMiran

Banned
I'm pretty sure this was already suggested. What if Lockhart is only for 1080p/30-60FPS. That would still bring a lot of power for all the other stuff like physics,ligthning,AI. Because I think most people still have 1080p monitors and TVs (not sure about that tho)

Edit: Lol exactly when I typed this VFX wrote that 😮. That is what I thought

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Well this is a risky statement. Very interesting. And if you ask me, your best contribution to the thread.

So both are last gen.
This is what a lof of people don't seem to get, what "cross gen" actually means is that the games that have series X enhancements are like X/Pro enhanced titles, they offer a few bells and whistles (resolution/frame rate/textures/shading - maybe ray tracing in this case)... I would not be surprised if many existing, and up coming PS4 games are just as cross-gen as their xbox / series X equivalents, the difference is that Sony will have some real "next-gen" games - one can only guess how different these will be in the end.

So as you said, both are last-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom