• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Yea I heard that a while ago also unfortunately and supposed shortages will roll into 2021. Also I hope people are keeping up with the news as far as CODIV-19 is concerned. New York is closing schools and they are actually talking about playing NBA games without fans in the arenas. Lots of deaths being reported nation wide and I am currently working from home (I am okay with this last bit) its getting ugly out here.

Well our University (one of the SUNY Schools) here in New York is converting Classes to online courses via Zoom beginning March 23rd. So there will be 'classes', just online only and it will continue this way until the end of the Semester. Even the graduation ceremony is in question.

I too wonder if I'll be working from home. Looks doubtful for the time being.

Last edited:
its not just about sony making or losing money. if first party exclusives are no longer exclusives then why would first party publishers take the risks they normally take? Dreams took 9 years. literally. the last guardian 11 years. horizon 6 years. ghost over 6 years. days gone over 7 years. do you see third party publishers take these risks? how many studios has EA shutdown this gen? they pulled the plug on Amy's game after just 3 years. then they killed two other studios that took over that game within the next 3 years.

Sony's first party games never sold millions of units. I remember that tone deaf aaron greenberg tweeting boasting how Halo 3 outsold like 10 PS3 exclusives on its own. and yet sony continued to make those expensive games because they knew exclusives sold consoles. they could take that risk. when that exclusivity goes away, they become just like every other third party publisher that only cares about the bottom line.

now thats just the worst case scenario and this scenario might not affect Sony's first party output in the long run, but saying this has no impact on gamers is incorrect. We need first party publishers to invest in games like Death Stranding. i dont see any third party publisher greenlighting an AAA game about walking. let alone giving it the push Sony gave it.

Counter point: Could very well go the opposite of what you say and be more willing to take risks because they're making way more money now expanding out to other platforms. Also, Sony's first-party games blew up this gen. Spider-Man itself was a crazy high seller exclusive. It was what, 10-20 million? Their other AAA games didn't exactly tank either. Partly why their internal development is far more healthy than Microsoft and they were expanding studios last I looked in preparation for PS5. It seemed like similar to Nintendo no matter what Sony released this gen it was selling. I'll bet TLOU 2 is a 10 million+ seller for them. More exposure = more potential market = more willing to drop bigger budget risks into their projects.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
So everything is digital now, from events to launch day lines.

This is boring...

This is the FUTURE. Seriously, think about it. Even shopping for GROCERIES is going online and on demand. It's simply more cost efficient and you can reach more people (theoretically) via the internet. So while live events may generate more investment from the participants and more emotional impact on those who attend, the cost savings are HUGE. And if they can manage to reach larger audiences it will likely be better for them. Bottom line, it's the way many things are headed. Like it or not.

PocoJoe

Banned
Exclusives help to sell a console, but they aren't the main driving factor since last generation, its about marketing and other stuff too.

The PS3 outsold the X360 at the end thanks to mainland Europe and Japan, if both had gone like US and UK where the winner gets the lead, then the X360 would have like sold 100+ million units while the PS3 would have been at 70 million.

and your point is?

"pigs could fly if they would have wings!"

It have always been like this:

xbox is serious competitor at USA / UK, but on the rest of the world playstation have always dominated.

ps3 vs 360 is more like "sony fucked up and still won the gen" situation.

Playstation as brand is just multiple times stronger than xbox, so if Sony doesnt really fuck things up, there is almost zero chance for xbox to win, because they can seriously compete only at usa/uk.

I guess it isnt that clear for people that live on usa, because there are probably more marketing and media attention for xbox.

Here at Finland I dont even remember when I have seen xbox advertising, or Nintendo. It is mostly just Sony ads.

I know only one person that owns an xbox one and he just laughs how shitty it is, while almost all my friends own playstation(s)

Also stores sell mostly sony stuff, xbox/nintendo area is like 20-30% of sony area.

tl:dr xbox have zero chance to beat Sony outside of usa/uk

3liteDragon

yeah, the silence might indicate that they are afraid or that they are super confident in their product. they know they have the most powerful console with some amazing looking games and they know it doesnt really matter when they reveal it.
That’s one thing I’m like 200% sure is not the case, right now Sony probably doesn’t even see Series X’s marketing as a threat to them, they’re most likely staying silent just to reveal everything after Microsoft and still dominate the narrative next gen.

Neo Blaster

This is the FUTURE. Seriously, think about it. Even shopping for GROCERIES is going online and on demand. It's simply more cost efficient and you can reach more people (theoretically) via the internet. So while live events may generate more investment from the participants and more emotional impact on those who attend, the cost savings are HUGE. And if they can manage to reach larger audiences it will likely be better for them. Bottom line, it's the way many things are headed. Like it or not.
I totally agree with you, I just miss the excitement of being in a line with a bunch of people who have the same passion as me.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Well our University (one of the SUNY Schools) here in New York is converting Classes to online courses via Zoom beginning March 23rd. So there will be 'classes', just online only and it will continue this way until the end of the Semester. Even the graduation ceremony is in question.

I should have been more specific but this is what I meant they have cancelled physical classes and getting paid to do the same thing I do in an office while sitting in my house is pretty nice if im honest.

The sympathy card worked 😂😂 foh

Anyway any new leaks? This thread seems to actually be turning into the "Sony games on PC thread"
So bad. It's not even funny - now that leakers are all run off by stupidity or wanna be insiders are gone , it has become a ghoulish ghost town of zombie minded people repeating the same things over and over with people looking to argue. I'm finally utilizing that ignore button - some will drain your intelligence if you let them.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

you go to Stony?!

Everybody waiting on Sony to officially reveal the PS5.

Well Sony already told everybody they are waiting on Microsoft To fully Reveal everything with Xbox Series X first.

So I assume and speculate you will not hear anything from Sony until at least after next weeks Xbox Stream.

icy121

they’re most likely staying silent just to reveal everything after Microsoft and still dominate the narrative next gen.
I agree, actually. The fact that they dropped the Horizon going to PC news the day Ori came out leads me to believe they're going to wait till Microsoft does there showcase. Additionally, they have 3(!) premiere exclusives launching back-to-back-to-back.

Suppose MS does a reveal event in April, I would not be shocked if they dropped a new TLoU trailer or announced a new studio acquisition the same day.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So bad. It's not even funny - now that leakers are all run off by stupidity or wanna be insiders are gone , it has become a ghoulish ghost town of zombie minded people repeating the same things over and over with people looking to argue. I'm finally utilizing that ignore button - some will drain your intelligence if you let them.

21 and counting on ignore 😂😂😂

its not just about sony making or losing money. if first party exclusives are no longer exclusives then why would first party publishers take the risks they normally take? Dreams took 9 years. literally. the last guardian 11 years. horizon 6 years. ghost over 6 years. days gone over 7 years. do you see third party publishers take these risks? how many studios has EA shutdown this gen? they pulled the plug on Amy's game after just 3 years. then they killed two other studios that took over that game within the next 3 years.

Sony's first party games never sold millions of units. I remember that tone deaf aaron greenberg tweeting boasting how Halo 3 outsold like 10 PS3 exclusives on its own. and yet sony continued to make those expensive games because they knew exclusives sold consoles. they could take that risk. when that exclusivity goes away, they become just like every other third party publisher that only cares about the bottom line.

now thats just the worst case scenario and this scenario might not affect Sony's first party output in the long run, but saying this has no impact on gamers is incorrect. We need first party publishers to invest in games like Death Stranding. i dont see any third party publisher greenlighting an AAA game about walking. let alone giving it the push Sony gave it.
GoW 3, Uncharted, LBP, Killzone were in the millions, TLOU sold as crazy even on PS3.

pawel86ck

Banned
So lets compare silent Hill 2 ... where the xbox Version gets totaly outclassed
Here's old thread about SH2 PS2 vs Xbox

Overall PS2 version could be considered superior, but outclassed? No. It was still the same game although it could be ported with better results, because xbox was more capable. Developers could easily port PS2 games to xbox (the vast majority of games run and looked better on xbox, and sometimes even at 720p/1080i) but not the other way around. Xbox or PC ports on PS2 were butchered to the extreme and like I have said even old PC games (half life 1, quake 3 and unreal 1 engine games) run with poor results on PS2, so clearly PS2 hardware wasnt good even when it launched and IMHO it was even more unbalanced than PS3. No HDD, small RAM amount and no S3TC support, weak GPU with DX7 era graphics effects. PS3 games were harder to develop because of CELL CPU, but it was really powerful CPU so when developers finally mastered CELL they were able to create really stunning looking games (God Of War 3 or Uncharted 3 for example). PS4 was even more balanced (8GB RAM, PC architecture) and PS5 will be even better.

FranXico

Bro I'm of the belief Fisher purposely banned himself with tht shit controller 📸 shop. Don't be surprised if some of what he said is true.
I sometimes wonder that too. What if he was the real deal and the controller photoshop was just a ploy to divert suspicion and protect his sources? He would be back right in time for the PS5 reveal...

Nah.

He was just trolling.

Last edited:

Rudius

Just my 2 cents but I am 99% sure Lockhart is real and if it is priced say half of the XsX is will way outsell the XsX to the masses.
To make sense Lockhart has to match Series X in CPU, SSD speed, and be very similar in Ram, not to mention things like the controller and others which are the same. Only the GPU can be considerably cheaper. It would be very unlikely for it to cost half the price.

alex_m

Neo Member
New 4chan leak with photo

晚上好
工廠一切順利!
PS5 on track, doing well.
Surpise with peak perf 15.1TF (3840 SPs) Great Graphic performance 全功率!
16GB GDDR6 (8chips) + 8GB DDR4
Beautiful proto case with good cooler.
Soon information in April.
RAW Paste Data

I would worry about cooling with such a slim design at 15TF. Could lead to a lot of over heating and issues.

Secondly my second hand sources say they are targeting 11TF for their launch titles. Which would mean console is over 11TF. If it was 15TF I would believe their Target would be at least 14TF. So I do not know or can comment on the 15TF being true. I would doubt it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I would worry about cooling with such a slim design at 15TF. Could lead to a lot of over heating and issues.

Secondly my second hand sources say they are targeting 11TF for their launch titles. Which would mean console is over 11TF. If it was 15TF I would believe their Target would be at least 14TF. So I do not know or can comment on the 15TF being true. I would doubt it.
can someone post the photo? im at work and 4chan is blocked

pawel86ck

Banned

60 CUs is possible but 15TF suggest 2GHz clock and that's really high :p (but who knows, maybe their patented 2 sides cooling method works better than expected?)

Last edited:

3liteDragon

can someone post the photo? im at work and 4chan is blocked

zel63iP.jpg

He said this case is apparently a prototype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom