• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
PS5 news cannot wait much longer. Sony's silence makes everyone unstable.

Sony has a weapon for this! FIRMWARE UPDATES!

UncomfortableLeadingAtlanticblackgoby.gif

we need a Firmware update for NeoGaf! it's getting unstable!

What market though? Fanboy market? PS5 did not sell 100+ million by selling to handful of fanboys alone.

PS5 will be fine at 11.6. There will be practically no difference.

MS can trump that 0.4 difference all they want, the playstation fanbase will not give a damn.

Man, you keep quoting me but we are taking about 2 different things. I understand, and even agree, what you are saying. Try to understand what I am saying too ;)

kareemna

Given when they should be starting manufacturing the PS5 for retail around November-December, An announcement or a full reveal event within a month is highly possible (now till mid April). This could even be to announce an actual full blown event, for a live stream given the circumstances.

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens Given we currently have extended storage supported on PS4, how would this work on PS5 especially if the internal SSD's bandwidth is around 5 GB/s? USB 3.2 Gen2 is around 1 GB/s

Side note about our TV related discussions: We want EvilBoris (Adam Fairclough) here.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
kareemna kareemna external storage is something nobody knows about, it’s a really interesting area. Its possible they could allow external drives that act as a secondary drive for storage but still require you to move files to the primary for gameplay? In that case you could have any speed or Male and it would be fine.

But to PLAY off an external? They would likely go down the official add on route and that is always expensive.

It’s a really good question, and one I would love to know.

Banned
Given we currently have extended storage supported on PS4, how would this work on PS5 especially if the internal SSD's bandwidth is around 5 GB/s? USB 3.2 Gen2 is around 1 GB/s

if we believe the PR speak from MS and Sony about how FAST their SSDs are, a storage expansion would only really be possible through proprietary extension ports. that big slot on the back of the Series X would be a slot where an NVMe SSD which is inside of a small casing could be inserted to, but that would also possible run into thermal issues, because NVMe SSDs can get rally really hot... many people actually put heat sinks on theirs in order to keep them cool.

another possibility is that they support external USB storage that can hold games on it but will need to transfer the game onto the internal SSD in order to play the game.

either way expanding the storage in these systems will be way less straight forward. it's gonna be weird lol

Last edited:
Considering just about every insider who claimed PS5 is 12-13tf hasn't really said anything in weeks, IMO that shows low confidence.

With these endless Rogame/Komechi (sp?) tweets coming out every week reconfirming the same kind of stuff over and over again, that 9.2tf seems more believable each day.

No you're too optimistic, 7-8tflops looks likely based on your wonderful logic.

Hatsuma

I can't wait too.

Each one of them surely has their own estimate, and there can only be one winner....... unless they are all wrong.

Out of all the insdiers, how many even got Series X 12tf RDNA 2.0 right? And that's after MS even said "double the power of X" and RDNA based. So right there you already got clues. Pretty hard to be totally off base when MS already fed hints. Even going to the name, I don't think I saw one even predict Series X as the product name.

As for PS5, that recent 5600xt 7tf might be PS5 Lite.

You knew know. Maybe MS and Sony have both a low end 4-7tf system and a 12tf system.

Fisher did right?

I personally don't care if we get any leaks or not, but I've seen a pattern with real/fake insiders and if memory serves me right, this never happened last time. Many of the insiders post a wishy-washy vague riddled mess of a leak, everyone naturally responds with confusion and eventually frustration due to lack of clarity, real/fake insiders then say they won't post anything any more citing hate as the reason and stop posting leaks. That's what I meant by "running away", I'm aware they're still around.

I'm not aware of your personal situation, I haven't been following the last few pages.

Change plans? Wasn't this a fake rumour to make Sony look bad?

This has nothing to do with my post but I'll say this, the Coronavirus isnt the only crisis that's affecting us, there are crises far greater in other parts of the world that have existed for much longer, the virus just makes their problems worse. Its only us sitting in our cosy homes in first world countries that have the time to think about a damn virus.

Last Gen before the Launch of PS4 and Xbox One. Sony originally was going to use 4 Gigs of GDDR5 in the PS4. So Microsoft even with a weaker GPU thought they still had an advantage. The Xbox One Would have a Dram advantage. So even with a weaker GPU they would have been the better overall System.

Well Sony was able to negotiate and get more GDDR5 Memory at a great Price and caught Microsoft with their pants down. Because the 8GB of Memory in the PS4 made it the better system at a cheaper price. It was a great move and decision by Sony in upping the memory.

The other Rumor was the Sony and Microsoft was looking at doing heavy DRM on game content last gen. Because of pressure from Game Devs and Publishers. Because of all the bootleg games and hacked games on PS3 and Xbox 360. Sony saw the Blow back Microsoft got and dropped and refused to do the DRM.

What lead many to believe this rumor was how many patents Sony had for DRM. Including DRM Chip patents on Blu-ray Disc.

ANIMAL1975

what does this mean?
It means another push of the Github followers, on the 8/9TF PS5 bullshit narrative. Now that the positive news around RDNA2 and AMDs keynote have settled down... they're back to the game, countering with old Komachi tweets from last year, and da Githubz again of course! Why? To bring down the good momentum created, and put the PS5 back to the negative word of mouth.

RDNA2 - 9.2TF - 2GHz - 36CU (active)
that's what this means. it's data on Oberon revision 3 from December last year
No its not, it's old reposted data from May-June, it clearly says in the tweets.
It's Oberon C0 that is from December _ the one they know nothing about. And in January Komachi tweeted about E0 sample, yet another revision! _ and then deleted it when got bombarded with questions...

Banned
No its not, it's old reposted data from May-June, it clearly says in the tweets.
It's Oberon C0 that is from December _ the one they know nothing about. And in January Komachi tweeted about E0 sample, yet another revision! _ and then deleted it when got bombarded with questions...

well the revision will hardly change much other than fixes and optimizations.
hence why it is a revision not a redesign.

Banned
Yea that was.... interesting. Some theorized he did it on purpose. I'm not gonna dismiss because nothing very often is absolute. However, it definitely hit his credibility though

well he also said that Sony bough 2 publicly traded companies... a few months ago... that didn't help with his reputation either.

if only it was that easy you bellend, this thread has 1363 pages, it's hard to keep up with everything.

that was a joke man. of course it would be absurd to expect from any one to read thorugh 1363 pages. i thought the spoiler gave it away.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

The YT channel MarlonGamingNation (direct link to channel), posted this pastebin link on the chat that was sent to him from someone who he says is a legitimate inside source within SIE iirc. This Marlon guy though does have connections within Sony, he was also actually in one of the documentaries they made for (I THINK) God of War. Also, that Ubisoft or Activision developer that mentioned a 14TF PS5 devkit in existence, watches his stream daily and out of nowhere on one of his streams, mentioned an ergonomic adjustable grip for the PS5 controller in the comments. And in one his streams from late February, his SIE source told him that the PlayStation store for PS5 will have a completely separate UI and will be called GAMERS’ MARKET with features like trading/buying games with credits or something. Idk exactly what he said, but here’s the link to THAT PART of the stream. Even though he says his source is legit, I always took whatever he said with a HUGE grain of salt, until about two days ago on Wednesday, March 11th. His source told him during that day’s stream, that the Ellie edition for TLOU2 will be restocked and go on sale again on March 13th on the PlayStation Direct store. And today...

This is why I’m starting to think his source actually has a chance of being legit, but again this is all just pure speculation. That pastebin link says they’ve unlocked 15.05TF by clocking 56 CU’s all the way up to a whopping 2.1 GHz on the devkit (Those are devkit specs because there’s no way in hell we’re getting 32GB of RAM on the retail version) but iirc, Marlon said they were looking to settle at somewhere around 11TF in one of his recent streams, which is the current number that’s been floating around recently. Now, I’m not asking you guys to 100% believe whatever this dude says, but at least when it comes to rumours, I think we should treat all rumours equally instead of quickly moving to dismiss them. They all have an equal chance of being true or false just because of the fact that Sony has barely mentioned ANYTHING regarding the PS5 up until now. Just my humble opinion, what do you guys think about this?

JLB

Banned
Of course, there was no way for Sony to know it in advance, but any timing in the foreseeable future to announce ps5 is bad. Coronavirus is keeping the whole attention, and finding some space on mainstream media for non related news will be tough for a while.
Maybe they could wait for May or June as best option.

ethomaz

Banned
well the revision will hardly change much other than fixes and optimizations.
hence why it is a revision not a redesign.
I don't want to enter in GitHub talk because it is clearly not related to what people what to relate it.
But AMD revisions numbers works like that:

00000A00 A0

Minor revisions just the last number changes: 00000A00 A1, 00000A00 A2, 00000A00 A3, etc.
That is when you chip receive small fixes, optimizations and microcode updates.

Major revisions the middle number and letter changes: 00000A10 B0, 00000A20 C0, 00000A30 C0, etc.
These are big changes in the chip.

How big these these major revisions can be? I'm not sure but in the past there is cases where some Phenom CPUs added 2 more CPU cores via major revisions.

GitHub showed these models:

00840F00 A0 (Ariel)
00840F10 B0 (Ariel)
00840F20 A0 (Oberon)
00840F30 B0 (Oberon)
00840F40 C0 (Oberon)

Komachi posted a E0 revision but deleted due so many people asking about PS5.

Last edited:

Hatsuma

Of course, there was no way for Sony to know it in advance, but any timing in the foreseeable future to announce ps5 is bad. Coronavirus is keeping the whole attention, and finding some space on mainstream media for non related news will be tough for a while.
Maybe they could wait for May or June as best option.

Yeah a lot of schools are altering their semesters, tournaments are getting cancelled, hell the Olympics might get canceled.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The YT channel MarlonGamingNation (direct link to channel), posted this pastebin link on the chat that was sent to him from someone who he says is a legitimate inside source within SIE iirc. This Marlon guy though does have connections within Sony, he was also actually in one of the documentaries they made for (I THINK) God of War. Also, that Ubisoft or Activision developer that mentioned a 14TF PS5 devkit in existence, watches his stream daily and out of nowhere on one of his streams, mentioned an ergonomic adjustable grip for the PS5 controller in the comments. And in one his streams from late February, his SIE source told him that the PlayStation store for PS5 will have a completely separate UI and will be called GAMERS’ MARKET with features like trading/buying games with credits or something. Idk exactly what he said, but here’s the link to THAT PART of the stream. Even though he says his source is legit, I always took whatever he said with a HUGE grain of salt, until about two days ago on Wednesday, March 11th. His source told him during that day’s stream, that the Ellie edition for TLOU2 will be restocked and go on sale again on March 13th on the PlayStation Direct store. And today...

This is why I’m starting to think his source actually has a chance of being legit, but again this is all just pure speculation. That pastebin link says they’ve unlocked 15.05TF by clocking 56 CU’s all the way up to a whopping 2.1 GHz on the devkit (Those are devkit specs because there’s no way in hell we’re getting 32GB of RAM on the retail version) but iirc, Marlon said they were looking to settle at somewhere around 11TF in one of his recent streams, which is the current number that’s been floating around recently. Now, I’m not asking you guys to 100% believe whatever this dude says, but at least when it comes to rumours, I think we should treat all rumours equally instead of quickly moving to dismiss them. They all have an equal chance of being true or false just because of the fact that Sony has barely mentioned ANYTHING regarding the PS5 up until now. Just my humble opinion, what do you guys think about this?

Pastebin spec is

4ghz cpu
2.1 ghz gpu
15tf
32gb gddr6
1.5tb SSD
Comes with a pack-in game
Nov 20, 2020
$499

Maybe $699.

Last edited:

This is total bollocks. There is no way Sony would use a 512-bit GDDR6 memory bus. As far as I am aware, the memory traces need to be very carefully managed with GD6, which would be appallingly difficult with a 512-bit bus. Not to mention the fact that GD6 memory controllers are fucking massive, and having 8 64-bit controllers would take up a stupid amount of die space. Given all this, they would quite literally be better off using HBM2 and using the die space on a larger GPU. Absolutely crazy.

so Oberon A0 is the same as Ariel B0 but with RDNA 2 Featuers like RT,VRS and IPC GAINS
PS5 at 2.0 Ghz = 9.2 TF RDNA 2

Have Rogame, Komachi etc. essentially confirmed this?

Haven't posted a ton, busy busy. Appreciate you compiling these posts of theirs tho. Lines up a lot with what I was thinking in terms of at least one of the earlier Oberon revisions being an RDNA2 chip. So I guess the question now is if the full chip size is actually at 40 or somewhat larger.

If it's just 40 then would they be better off having the full chip on but clocking it at 1900MHz, I wonder? Also have they found out anything else about Oberon E0 in particular?

RDNA2 - 9.2TF - 2GHz - 36CU (active)
that's what this means. it's data on Oberon revision 3 from December last year

So the data in E0 revision was testing Oberon itself and not Ariel iGPU profile?

Last edited:

nikolino840

And as you've said, it can also run on consoles, right?

I wouldn't say that it runs just yet, but we are working on it and it will run.

I understand that you cannot go into details for these deals. But is the deal with a new console manufacturer or a manufacturer that's already well established in the console market?

Of course, yeah. One of the leading.

Already posted?
For me Is a great method to make an Hybrid raytracing to not explode a console

3liteDragon

Pastebin spec is

4ghz cpu
2.1 ghz gpu
15tf
32gb gddr6
1.5tb SSD
Comes with a pack-in game
Nov 20, 2020
$499

Maybe $699.
That pastebin link says they’ve unlocked 15.05TF by clocking 56 CU’s all the way up to a whopping 2.1 GHz on the devkits (Those are devkit specs because there’s no way in hell we’re getting 32GB of RAM on the retail version) but iirc, Marlon said they were looking to settle at somewhere around 11TF in one of his recent streams, which is the current number that’s been floating around recently.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That pastebin link says they’ve unlocked 15.05TF by clocking 56 CU’s all the way up to a whopping 2.1 GHz on the devkit (Those are devkit specs because there’s no way in hell we’re getting 32GB of RAM on the retail version) but iirc, Marlon said they were looking to settle at somewhere around 11TF in one of his recent streams, which is the current number that’s been floating around recently.
And where does it say it's a dev kit?

So gamers can buy a PS5 dev kit on Nov 20, 2020 too? lol

1. PS5 Latest Proposed Core Specification - 11/03/2020 (base model, not PS5 Pro)

2. APU:
  3. Zen2 semi-custom 7nm CPU with 8 cores/16 threads @ 3.86GHz.
  4. RDNA2 semi-custom 7nm GPU with 56 CU's @ 2.1GHz (up to 15.05 Tflops peak).
  5. Double rate fp16, variable rate shading, integrated geometry culling via GPU.
  6. Hardware based ray tracing processor (contained within APU die) for shadows, reflections, global illumination & particles.

7. Memory:
  8. 32GB GDDR6
  9. Around 1,024GB/s bandwidth via 512-bit memory interface (GDDR6 video memory modules).

10. Storage:
  11. 1.5TB semi-custom NVMe SSD. Expandable/upgradable via modules.

12. Availability:
  13. Launching November 20, 2020 @ $499 (USD) with one controller and one first party game.

Last edited:

Banned

well they will do a hybrid most likely anyways. Crytek already released a pretty nice looking demo that runs at 1080p60 on mid range hardware, but it had limitations and the reflections were really blurry when displaying fast movements.
so the software side still needs work, but Raytracing in general gets better and more efficient by the day since developers slowly are getting a good grip on it.

you can already run Raytracing in stuff like Control on non RTX cards at console level performance (you can run it at 1080p30 with Raytracing on a GTX1070 for example)

3liteDragon

And where does it say it's a dev kit?

So gamers can buy a PS5 dev kit on Nov 20, 2020 too? lol

1. PS5 Latest Proposed Core Specification - 11/03/2020 (base model, not PS5 Pro)

2. APU:
  3. Zen2 semi-custom 7nm CPU with 8 cores/16 threads @ 3.86GHz.
  4. RDNA2 semi-custom 7nm GPU with 56 CU's @ 2.1GHz (up to 15.05 Tflops peak).
  5. Double rate fp16, variable rate shading, integrated geometry culling via GPU.
  6. Hardware based ray tracing processor (contained within APU die) for shadows, reflections, global illumination & particles.

7. Memory:
  8. 32GB GDDR6
  9. Around 1,024GB/s bandwidth via 512-bit memory interface (GDDR6 video memory modules).

10. Storage:
  11. 1.5TB semi-custom NVMe SSD. Expandable/upgradable via modules.

12. Availability:
  13. Launching November 20, 2020 @ $499 (USD) with one controller and one first party game.
32GB of GDDR6 RAM is not something you would find in a retail console, and he says his source is someone within SIE, not a developer, because a developer would only know just the specs of the devkit they’re given, not all this info. So wouldn’t he know all this info about pricing and the launch date? And btw, Marlon said he’s going to have this guy on the show next week. So we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
32GB of GDDR6 RAM is not something you would find in a retail console, and he says his source is someone within SIE, not a developer. So wouldn’t he know all this info? And btw, Marlon said he’s going to have this guy on the show next week. So we’ll see what happens.
If this is a dev kit, then why would the pastebin say it's the proposed base model PS5 spec, and also have a release date and price?

And as you've said, it can also run on consoles, right?

I wouldn't say that it runs just yet, but we are working on it and it will run.

I understand that you cannot go into details for these deals. But is the deal with a new console manufacturer or a manufacturer that's already well established in the console market?

Of course, yeah. One of the leading.

Already posted?
That's pretty awesome, whoever it is, will make it a lot easier for smaller devs to make use of it, since it's via software. If it's integrated into the Development ecosystem it'll possibly make things simple.

liviopangt

Neo Member
I have always claimed that the textur and the real potential for a game in my opinion PS5 will aim a lot to achieve photorealism the GPU will be between 312 -364 TMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom