• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
EhEWYu8XkAIu6ND

Nope. It would have been already announced if true.

Well,

I trust HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and he hinted that there was something BIG coming soon a while back, possibly without warning.

Maybe they won't give much of a window between announcement and event this time--there is no rule that says they have to follow a pattern.

I think it's a similar situation to E3's of old, when Microsoft and Sony would go on the same day, just a few hours apart.

What I mean to say is I think Sony will react very quickly(maybe even same day or a day later at best) if Microsoft commits a time. The same can be said for Microsoft if Sony commits.

So in essence, the game of chicken is silly as they'll immediately react to one another and we all know these won't be $399 bargains, save for XSS which is a different animal and type of system.

spartan30gr

Mid is Ubisoft and Call of Duty and end is TGS20. I think we might get UI or teardown (or both) this month (a video drop, not an event) but an event with price/pre-orders next month. As crazy as this may sound.

The week before tokyo game show is free for events.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well,

I trust HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and he hinted that there was something BIG coming soon a while back, possibly without warning.

Maybe they won't give much of a window between announcement and event this time--there is no rule that says they have to follow a pattern.

I think it's a similar situation to E3's of old, when Microsoft and Sony would go on the same day, just a few hours apart.

What I mean to say is I think Sony will react very quickly(maybe even same day or a day later at best) if Microsoft commits a time. The same can be said for Microsoft if Sony commits.

So in essence, the game of chicken is silly as they'll immediately react to one another and we all know these won't be $399 bargains, save for XSS which is a different animal and type of system.

That’s not how marketing works. Haven’t we learned anything from the last pre-orders rumor from that fakesider Italian?

They might drop a teardown video or a short UI video but don’t expect an event to drop just a day after announcement. That’s ridiculous. They are not selling the console to GAF memebrs only and not everyone is following daily video game news.

Possible PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition Price Leaked by French Website

Probably just a place holder. 🤔

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think Sony is making a PS5 event on Dec. 10th to release the console on the 11.

That's the only explanation for what they're doing.

I can give you the very latest "rumor" since this thread is for that very thing.

The target date for XsX is Nov 6th and that comes from the leaked Xbox controller packaging showing when the 1 year warranty runs out.

The target date for PS5 is Nov 13th to launch along side CoD.

Then the really crazy talk:

Every PS5 comes with a code for the new CoD.

None of this comes from birdies or pigeons or ducks.

All of this is 100% rumor mill and most likely 99.5% false.

FunkMiller

I think Sony is making a PS5 event on Dec. 10th to release the console on the 11.

That's the only explanation for what they're doing.

Surely a December 23rd event, for that fun Christmas Eve launch the next day is more likely?

Think of how delightful it would be to go pick up your Ps5 surrounded by happy Xmas shoppers in face masks?

I can give you the very latest "rumor" since this thread is for that very thing.

The target date for XsX is Nov 6th and that comes from the leaked Xbox controller packaging showing when the 1 year warranty runs out.

LOL no way that is happening.

FunkMiller

Free cod at launch? This will make sircaw sircaw ’s day!

Last edited:

750 million deal revealed! /s
Yeah, I think the dates could be accurate. I think MS plans to release the console before Sony does and try to undercut them in price, this way they have the more tflops and the cheapest console releasing one week before the PS5, sounds like a good plan if they can pull it off.

hemo memo

Gold Member
750 million deal revealed! /s
Yeah, I think the dates could be accurate. I think MS plans to release the console before Sony does and try to undercut them in price, this way they have the more tflops and the cheapest console releasing one week before the PS5, sounds like a good plan if they can pull it off.

If the Nov 13th date is correct that is 70 days from today.

Mahavastu

I dont think that "Xbox Series X GPU size/config would be a better match for RTX 3070"
I think that amd must put some more CUs in their Navi22 to be as good as 3070. plenty more.
but
we'll see
We'll have to see until AMD reveals something.

From what we have:
the 3080 is 650mm2. The SoC of the XSX is 360, half of it (180mm2) is the pure GPU.

In the DF video about the Gears of War 5 port to XSX they say something of "about 2080" performance, and that with probably not that optimized drivers.

That means a GPU twice the size of the XSX GPU (big navi is rumored with 80 CUs, maybe they have a few more) should be pretty competitive in performance, and that's with a way smaller die. The die would be larger then 360mm2 because of some support stuff like memory controllers, but still much smaller and cheaper then the one of the 3080... Because of a better manufacturing process AMD might have advantages in clockspeed as well.

Just saying, that we should not count AMD out yet. Lets wait until some real benchmarks arrive. For example we know hardly anything about RT performance of the RDNA2

Last edited:
Does anybody here even trust this guy? Like even 5%?
sure, why not? :messenger_beaming:
I mean, he is only talking about secret, undisclosed rdna3 features, when we/he still don't know diddly squat about amd rdna2 feature set, with the sole exception of what microsoft talked about at hot chips.
its all part of the fun, and part of his way to make youtube monies

We'll have to see until AMD reveals something.

From what we have:
the 3080 is 650mm2. The SoC of the XSX is 360, half of it (180mm2) is the pure GPU.

In the DF video about the Gears of War 5 port to XSX they say something of "about 2080" performance, and that with probably not that optimized drivers.

That means a GPU twice the size of the XSX GPU (big navi is rumored with 80 CUs, maybe they have a few more) should be pretty competitive in performance, and that's with a way smaller die. The die would be larger then 360mm2 because of some support stuff like memory controllers, but still much smaller and cheaper then the one of the 3080... Because of a better manufacturing process AMD might have advantages in clockspeed as well.

Just saying, that we should not count AMD out yet. Lets wait until some real benchmarks arrive. For example we know hardly anything about RT performance of the RDNA2
(y)
exactly what I wrote, and in contrast to that tweet I quoted
big navi with 54 CUs like xbox, it wont be that "big". I expect 80 or even a version with 100-120 (twice as many as xbox series x) if they are serious about competing with the big fish from nvidia

I also dont think xbox will be directly comparable to 3070 like that tweet said. I mean, that would be great, but nvidia is marketing 3070 as a gpu stronger than 2080ti, which until 2 days ago was the undisputed king of everything

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

HeavenlySlushyBlackbear-size_restricted.gif

That money hat!!!!!

But then again COD doesn't appeal to everyone so I do find that kind of strange. It's most likely not true.

Qwaaarktastic

Neo Member
I'm just skipping pages, several atca time. I'm bored with the speculation, we're 2 months out. It's time to drop those bombs, if not there is surely something wrong behind the scenes. This shit is boring now.
I do agree with you, it is indeed getting boring af. I mean I even prefer bad news than none at this point ... (Please don't judge me 😅)

GameSeeker

Nvidia is using a software based GPU solution. See this page and read the first comment: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...erated-storage-technology/#comment-5054185320

The software based solution runs on Ampere (3000 series) and the old Turing based cards (2000 series). This software solution will use GPU cycles to do the decompression. By contrast, the PS5 I/O subsystem is designed to have dedicated HW that does the decode without the need for any GPU cycles. RTXIO is a great advancement forward for the PC space, but it doesn't yet match the efficiency of the PS5 solution.

Ryan Smith confirming what I had stated earlier: RTXIO uses software running on the GPU to do the decompression (within the Streaming Multiprocessor). There isn't dedicated HW decompression like PS5 and XSX.

DeepSpace5D

If the Series X is releasing a week before PS5, there’s no way Microsoft can win this game of chicken in waiting for the other to announce a price first. They might as well just get it over with.

Sinthor

Gold Member
This one popped up on TikTok... looks fake?

link:

I don't know. Looks pretty real to me. Of course, it's amazing how they can fake, but.. You know there HAVE to be finished PS5's out there since the thing started manufacturing in June. So it certainly COULD be real.

SNPlayen

Because of the time zone I’m in (Aust) and how the news cycle is, every evening I start getting excited for news to drop after I go to sleep. I go to bed with a bit of hope, I wake up not expecting anything, I check my phone and get disappointed. I go to work and then the cycle repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom