• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
about coil wine on ps5 I can confirm it is a thing

I hear it somtimes when I play on a dead quite room setting very close to consoles and in loading screen when there is no sound coming from the TV

it is not loud though but it is there

Im not sure if it is a problem but it is there for any one who is curious

Yeah it's the sound of PS5 eating monsters and "monster-eaters" for breakfast. :messenger_winking_tongue:

SSfox

That's where PS5 architecture is so confusing. Spider-Man MM running with native 4K RT reflections 30fps with improved lighting, the graphics looks so demanding, it should make the PS5 down to its knee, don't you agree? When playing that game on my PS5 runs cool and quietly.
On the other hand, AC:V, basically it's ps4 game with PS5 tag on it. No RT, graphics looks not much better than AC : odyssey. Running sub 1440p DRS with 60 fps. That game makes my ps5 loudest and hottest. Visually less demanding game draws so much power.
What do you think?
I can't wait for the next Road to PS5 like the one they have previously for PS4. I want to know more about the PS5 Apu.
GOT and RDR2 looks, plays and feels way more next gen than Valhalla.

Last edited:

Gudji

Coil whine appears to be a feature that mostly impacts PS5’s owned by Xbox fans. The bigger the fan, the louder the noise.
tonight GIF

cragarmi

In this video, one of the Resetera insiders says that most likely the rumors about Sony and Konami's partnership are true. And Bluepoint can actually remake (s) Metal Gear Solid, and Japan Studio new Silent Hill

Konami was definitely shopping around its IPs to external developers about 18 months ago, take from that what you will. Personally I believe Silent Hill is real at the very least.

What is PST? My hearing is pretty healthy actually and my ears are trained as well for the slightest sounds as that could be a matter of life or death in the wild by a nasty snake. From 2 meters you can barely hear a thing, with everything shut down in the room and no volume, but some of course may have it louder.

PS5 I mean.

PaintTinJr

Destiny 2 PS5 version caused the loudest buzzing from my system. PS4 games and some 30 fps PS5 games caused less noise. It has to do with the fluctuating power draw in the PSU.
My theory about cabling would be consistent with 60fps causing more issues than 30fps - because at higher frame-rates the hdmi chips get less time to fix recoverable transmission errors and the transmission bandwidth will be higher in theory.

You could try a game that has the issue for you, then go set the camera to an enclosed area/wall with very little detail or frame changes. Then exit to sleep mode, and if the noise isn't there straight away when you return from sleep to the game - still looking at the wall - then it is most likely a hdmi cable/Tv hdmi port or av setup issue.

With AV systems and soundbars able to set a audio sync delay for hdmi arc, I wonder if that might be causing an issue, for some people

Md Ray

What do you guys think is the VRAM allocation on Series S, I mean how much of the 8GB do you think is being dedicated to the graphics?

Last edited:

skit_data

What do you guys think is the VRAM allocation on Series S, I mean how much of the 8GB do you think is being dedicated to the graphics?
I think a developer on one of the soon-to-be 1st party studios expressed it quite well:

Edit: nvm, read your question ”what do you think of...”
Anyway, i hope he gets to keep his job, it didnt really paint the Series S in a good light.

Last edited:

roops67

But the power draw is constant with the PS5 isn't it?
That's only true for intense workloads, on normal operation it won't draw more power than it needs. It flattens out at 280 watts which is 80% of the 350watt PSU rating. This is when PS5 will be shifting frequencies around to maintain the power draw at 80% when under very heavy load, cos that's the most efficient operating range of the PSU. Heat generated is linked to power drawn, therefore max temperature is fixed added to the background ambient room temp

According to internet searches. Sitting idle on menu screen is about 80 watts. Games are from 140 to 200 watts, ceiling 280 watts will be hit for very intensive scenarios 'or' badly written code. SpiderMan MM is pulling 200, this would be average but expect there will be times when it gets pushed much harder. So going by other's observation here, AC Valhalla could be inefficient code that is constantly flatting out the PSU hence the louder coil wine, I guess that makes sense cos it struggles more on the XSX

Last edited:

roops67

Revisit here for best explanation of how the power draw works:

My theory about cabling would be consistent with 60fps causing more issues than 30fps - because at higher frame-rates the hdmi chips get less time to fix recoverable transmission errors and the transmission bandwidth will be higher in theory.

You could try a game that has the issue for you, then go set the camera to an enclosed area/wall with very little detail or frame changes. Then exit to sleep mode, and if the noise isn't there straight away when you return from sleep to the game - still looking at the wall - then it is most likely a hdmi cable/Tv hdmi port or av setup issue.

With AV systems and soundbars able to set a audio sync delay for hdmi arc, I wonder if that might be causing an issue, for some people
I could consistently reproduce the noise. You could hear the buzzing intensity increase and decrease based purely on what's on screen. It seemed to get louder the longer I had the system. I just hope my new system is better.

I think a developer on one of the soon-to-be 1st party studios expressed it quite well:

Edit: nvm, read your question ”what do you think of...”
Anyway, i hope he gets to keep his job, it didnt really paint the Series S in a good light.
If that developer needed help with development of XSS games I'm certain there are avenues to reach out to MS for development assistance. Going to Twitter to complain was probably the worst way of handling it. It just comes across as unprofessional. I do agree with you that I hope he does not lose his job but I hope he's figured out a better way to get help.

Ptarmiganx2

Someone can't afford to live here 🤣
Or can’t afford to move. If Biden eventually passes his tax plan , CA and NY will have 62 and 64 percent tax rates for high earners. Why do you think our boy Elon ran to Texas. I’m pretty sure he can afford CA. Space-X and Tesla seem to be doing okay. I would retire before I would pay those taxes. I’m curious how many celebrities stay if it happens. Lots of Big Tech companies have started the migration to TX.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's only true for intense workloads, on normal operation it won't draw more power than it needs. It flattens out at 280 watts which is 80% of the 350watt PSU rating. This is when PS5 will be shifting frequencies around to maintain the power draw at 80% when under very heavy load, cos that's the most efficient operating range of the PSU. Heat generated is linked to power drawn, therefore max temperature is fixed added to the background ambient room temp

According to internet searches. Sitting idle on menu screen is about 80 watts. Games are from 140 to 200 watts, ceiling 280 watts will be hit for very intensive scenarios 'or' badly written code. SpiderMan MM is pulling 200, this would be average but expect there will be times when it gets pushed much harder. So going by other's observation here, AC Valhalla could be inefficient code that is constantly flatting out the PSU hence the louder coil wine, I guess that makes sense cos it struggles more on the XSX
Hmmm interesting. Thanks!

This contradicts what Sony said a little bit; they didn’t say it would have the exact same draw 100% but suggested it would be close enough to essentially say that. I don’t remember the wording tho.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Destiny 2 PS5 version caused the loudest buzzing from my system. PS4 games and some 30 fps PS5 games caused less noise. It has to do with the fluctuating power draw in the PSU.
Looks like PS5 owned by Xbox fans have the most hardware problems, intriguing...either mine is absolutely silent, or I don't know what coil whine is, cause I hear nothing from it besides the disc drive certain times.

Yeah, unless there's video or some sort of proof I highly highly doubt that's true.

FYI I could hear my PS4 on my kitchen, which is like 10 meters away. It was crazy.

I've seen the videos on YouTube and from what I've seen coil whine is only recorded when the microphone is right next to the console. I haven't seen any recordings of coil whine when the microphone is really far away.

Here is me, it's mostly concern trolls. Within 1 meter if your room is super quiet, no AC, no TV sound nor headset (which is extremely weird) you can hear it and it's pretty low:

It's unlisted because gaming isn't supposed to be on my channel. They requested it and yet they pegged back when asked to make videos themselves. Mic actually catches more than what you can hear in person.

I recall Bo saying that he uses headphones at 100% volume = person whom uses way too high volume most likely have some sort of hearing damage. So 1m to you could be 10m to another. Nothing personal, max volume just isnt what anyone with normal hearing want to use or even can tolerate.

YouTube (and all videos) are useless, because only thing we can hear is:

Does mic record noise?

Then people can watch the video and on one laptop setup volume is at 1% "lol cant hear anything" while another user have build 10000000 watt PA system and dies to coilwhine.mpg when he watches it at his 100%

So, if super sensitive mic records it at 100 metres but viewer doesnt have same balanced level = sound level isnt equal.

= You cant know how far you would hear it from YouTube video.

I have listened to 3 PS5 units lately, and all have easily audible variable coil whine that is easy to hear up to 7-8m (aka as far as there is room).

Even when sounds are on, not on mute.

Even switch fan is audible up to 4-5m

Assuming all units have similar coil whine, the variable is environment + personal hearing levels.

"Noisy" to one is "silent" to another person, noise is subjective.

PS5 coil whine is "sharp" so it pierces easily other noises + is more annoying than "Blunt" noises.

My PS5 is fucking annoying at night, but noise canceling headphones fix it. With my HT setup it is too annoying at low night volume levels.

My personal thing is that I get really easily annoyed by sounds i dont like, and I just cant "not to hear them".

To another person my ps5 could be silent.

(3 friends hsve heard same 3 units and all say it is kind of annoying)

When people talk about noise and have no education etc = there are lot of misconceptions.

I have education of noise & environmental noise, been measuring noise ad a job + now I am acoustic engineer at new job.

While I dont know everything, I know enough to tell:

You cant hear distance + sound pressure levels on unbalanced/calibrated setups by watching videos on random devices

Gudji

I recall Bo saying that he uses headphones at 100% volume = person whom uses way too high volume most likely have some sort of hearing damage. So 1m to you could be 10m to another. Nothing personal, max volume just isnt what anyone with normal hearing want to use or even can tolerate.

YouTube (and all videos) are useless, because only thing we can hear is:

Does mic record noise?

Then people can watch the video and on one laptop setup volume is at 1% "lol cant hear anything" while another user have build 10000000 watt PA system and dies to coilwhine.mpg when he watches it at his 100%

So, if super sensitive mic records it at 100 metres but viewer doesnt have same balanced level = sound level isnt equal.

= You cant know how far you would hear it from YouTube video.

I have listened to 3 PS5 units lately, and all have easily audible variable coil whine that is easy to hear up to 7-8m (aka as far as there is room).

Even when sounds are on, not on mute.

Even switch fan is audible up to 4-5m

Assuming all units have similar coil whine, the variable is environment + personal hearing levels.

"Noisy" to one is "silent" to another person, noise is subjective.

PS5 coil whine is "sharp" so it pierces easily other noises + is more annoying than "Blunt" noises.

My PS5 is fucking annoying at night, but noise canceling headphones fix it. With my HT setup it is too annoying at low night volume levels.

My personal thing is that I get really easily annoyed by sounds i dont like, and I just cant "not to hear them".

To another person my ps5 could be silent.

(3 friends hsve heard same 3 units and all say it is kind of annoying)

When people talk about noise and have no education etc = there are lot of misconceptions.

I have education of noise & environmental noise, been measuring noise ad a job + now I am acoustic engineer at new job.

While I dont know everything, I know enough to tell:

You cant hear distance + sound pressure levels on unbalanced/calibrated setups by watching videos on random devices
I do not need videos, my PS5 has coil whine and I sit one meter away from it. It's a non issue.

Imtjnotu

Or can’t afford to move. If Biden eventually passes his tax plan , CA and NY will have 62 and 64 percent tax rates for high earners. Why do you think our boy Elon ran to Texas. I’m pretty sure he can afford CA. Space-X and Tesla seem to be doing okay. I would retire before I would pay those taxes. I’m curious how many celebrities stay if it happens. Lots of Big Tech companies have started the migration to TX.
i only make 90k a year so being in the top doesnt hurt me. what hurts me is my damn mortgage lol

roops67

Hmmm interesting. Thanks!

This contradicts what Sony said a little bit; they didn’t say it would have the exact same draw 100% but suggested it would be close enough to essentially say that. I don’t remember the wording tho.
Are you confusing it with Cerny saying the CPU GPU clock frequencies set at 3.5ghz and 2.23ghz near 100% of the time? This ain't fixing the power draw, the frequency being fixed means the power draw will fluctuate with the workload. Think of it as PS5 is in constant frequency mode until it hits the power cap and then switches to constant power mode

A nice explanation of constant clock and constant power
X = workload (caused by game)
Y = clock speed
X*Y=Z = power

on PS4, both X and Z vary, while Y was fixed.
on PS5, both X and Y vary, while Z is fixed.

IntentionalPun

Are you confusing it with Cerny saying the CPU GPU clock frequencies set at 3.5ghz and 2.23ghz near 100% of the time? This ain't fixing the power draw, the frequency being fixed means the power draw will fluctuate with the workload. Think of it as PS5 is in constant frequency mode until it hits the power cap and then switches to constant power mode

A nice explanation of constant clock and constant power
No I know how the workload based frequency works. I explained it a few posts before that kylie post actually lol

I’ll find what I’m talking about, maybe I misread, give me a minute.

You do realize that Kylie says right in they post that power is fixed though right R roops67 ?

Last edited:

HoofHearted

I do not need videos, my PS5 has coil whine and I sit one meter away from it. It's a non issue.
It may be a non-issue for you - but for others (like myself) that are sensitive to hearing variations in frequency it can absolutely be a problem...

I've returned more than my share of graphics cards, consoles, and other various electronics due to coil/fan whine and sound variations over the years. IMHO it's absolutely a problem that the manufacturer should address and mitigate where possible.

A few cases in point:

• Bought X1X Scorpio at launch - had a coil/fan whine that I could hear across the living room - was a constant sound/oscillating noise and had to take it back.
    • Luckily the replacement I got didn't have it, though under load I could hear some noise - but compared to the first unit it was practically silent.
  • Bought 2 PS5s this launch (one for me, one for my nephew)
    • Mine -
      • Has some light fan noise, but it's occasional, the CD spinning up to check the game is more irritating than anything.
      • I don't hear any evidence of actual coil whine in my system
      • I have fan "C" in my system (original Sony tear down)
    • Nephew:
      • Had oscillating fan (or coil whine) noise - extremely irritating to my ears
        • It was bad enough to the point that if it were my system - I'd have sent it in for replacement
        • Could hear the noise completely across the room
      • His system had fan "B"
  • My XSX in comparison to either of the PS5s - dead silent. It's seriously the most quiet console (with fans/moving parts) that I've ever owned.

It may be a non-issue for you - but for others (like myself) that are sensitive to hearing variations in frequency it can absolutely be a problem...

I've returned more than my share of graphics cards, consoles, and other various electronics due to coil/fan whine and sound variations over the years. IMHO it's absolutely a problem that the manufacturer should address and mitigate where possible.

A few cases in point:

• Bought X1X Scorpio at launch - had a coil/fan whine that I could hear across the living room - was a constant sound/oscillating noise and had to take it back.
    • Luckily the replacement I got didn't have it, though under load I could hear some noise - but compared to the first unit it was practically silent.
    • Mine -
      • Has some light fan noise, but it's occasional, the CD spinning up to check the game is more irritating than anything.
    • Nephew:
        • It was bad enough to the point that if it were my system - I'd have sent it in for replacement
      • His system had fan "B"
  • My XSX in comparison to either of the PS5s - dead silent. It's seriously the most quiet console (with fans/moving parts) that I've ever owned.
All excellent points. Some people need to understand that just because you may not have or care about an issue doesn't mean it isn't important to others and more importantly bringing it up isn't a conspiracy to hurt your favorite game corporation.

Gudji

A few cases in point:

• Mine -
    • Nephew:
      • His system had fan "B"
The people that have problems are a minority. Not every console has coil whine. In fact I'm part of multiple forums and discord communities, some bigger than others but big none the less and almost no one has coil whine issues. Most people only complain about the lack of certain feature or bugs in the operating system.

I also never said sony shouldn't address the coil whine. I said it's a non issue for the majority of people and that's true, that is it.
But in case you haven't been paying attention, there's a small group of people here in this very forum pushing the narrative that PS5 is bad hardware and people shouldn't buy it because coil whine is a huge issue. Some of them don't even own the console, it's console war bullshit.

The people that have problems are a minority. Not every console has coil whine. In fact I'm part of multiple forums and discord communities, some bigger than others but big none the less and almost no one has coil whine issues. Most people only complain about the lack of certain feature or bugs in the operating system.

I also never said sony shouldn't address the coil whine. I said it's a non issue for the majority of people and that's true, that is it.
But in case you haven't been paying attention, there's a small group of people here in this very forum pushing the narrative that PS5 is bad hardware and people shouldn't buy it because coil whine is a huge issue. Some of them don't even own the console, it's console war bullshit.
Could you provide one quote from someone saying that PS5 is bad hardware or that people should not buy one with relation to coil whine? I'd be shocked if that person wasn't already banned. How would you know what consoles a person owned? I hope you aren't implying that people complaining about coil whine don't own the system.

roops67

No I know how the workload based frequency works. I explained it a few posts before that kylie post actually lol

I’ll find what I’m talking about, maybe I misread, give me a minute.

You do realize that Kylie says right in they post that power is fixed though right R roops67 ?
I see your confusion, you're literally taking this literally. The PS5 burning the same power when it's busy or doing nothing is extremely wasteful, it will have to be turning all that power into heat if it's not switching transistors. You understand the relationship between workload frequency and power then you must know the frequency will have to be super high if the workload is next to nothing, as Kyliethc showed above :

power=work*frequency
then
frequency=power/work

I'm sure you know that pulling the same fixed power no matter if it's sitting idle or busy doesn't make sense... Intentional Pun?

Last edited:

Gudji

Could you provide one quote from someone saying that PS5 is bad hardware or that people should not buy one with relation to coil whine? I'd be shocked if that person wasn't already banned. How would you know what consoles a person owned? I hope you aren't implying that people complaining about coil whine don't own the system.
Stop being disingenous I already told you multiple times you don't fool anyone around here.

Stop being disingenous I already told you multiple times you don't fool anyone around here.
Figure if you were going to make a claim it would be super easy to back up. When I made a claim about coil whine I was able to provide video evidence it was real. People using that to convince people to not buy a PS5 or say the PS5 hardware was 'bad' should be equally as easy to prove. I only asked for one quote.

dcmk7

Banned
Figure if you were going to make a claim it would be super easy to back up. When I made a claim about coil whine I was able to provide video evidence it was real. People using that to convince people to not buy a PS5 or say the PS5 hardware was 'bad' should be equally as easy to prove. I only asked for one quote.

You mean like this? No it wasn't hard at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The hardware stuff I can kind of understand minus the coil whine. But I have bigger issues with things like pay only cloud saves, unappealing updates to the next gen versions of games (Destiny 2 is a perfect example of this), no way to put PS5 games on external storage even if you can't play them there, no way to expand the internal storage for the next few months, no VRR (hi @Riky ), and my personal issues with the new UI. There is no reason why their competition can get these things right but the market leader didn't handle these things at launch. Most of these things will be waved off but they should be held accountable and produce the best product I'd expect from the market leader.

Last edited:

Gudji

I'm sure you can find yourself a few ones including your own comments. Regarding providing evidence to prove something is real, you didn't seem to need it when making bullshit claims in the past.
Where did I say the hardware was bad or that people should not buy a PS5? Every point I made was a fact.
FYI when I said HARDWARE I meant the console overall, coil whine is just an example.
I provided a video that coil whine was real. My PS5 is no longer in my possession. It was sent back to Sony.
That's very convenient. Anyway let me get back to my coil whine machine.

EDIT: excuse my not so good english.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Where did I say the hardware was bad or that people should not buy a PS5? Every point I made was a fact.

You're going all over the place with this dude. You're constantly contradicting yourself, it's as if you can't keep track of all the stuff you have said.

Will keep this brief.. your point:

Could you provide one quote from someone saying that PS5 is bad hardware or that people should not buy one with relation to coil whine

I've just given you an example where you "couldnt understand" the coil whine at all. As in, it's totally inexcusable. That equates to bad in my book. Which answers your question.. what is there to even dispute?

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Certainly agreed on your points above ...

I was simply providing additional insight into my own personal experiences with coil whine and fan noise.

To say it’s a non-issue really depends on perspective IMHO. Every console release that I’ve seen has its own set of problems and issues.

From my personal perspective- and in running both consoles side by side for several weeks now - I can state that my PS5 has more issues (most being software) in general than my XSX.

Does that mean I think the PS5 is less capable and “bad hardware” ? hell no. 😀

But I also personally don’t “do” console wars as I buy them all - I think console wars are quite silly and pointless (even more so this gen than ever) - at the end of the day it’s about the games and experience.

I’d be truly interested in seeing actual reported data regarding the various issues (including fan and coil whine) across both systems- but I doubt we will ever see true data around that.

Of your PS5? Where was this?
I provided a video that coil whine was real. My PS5 is no longer in my possession. It was sent back to Sony.
You're going all over the place with this dude. You constantly contradicting yourself, it's as if you can't keep track of all the stuff you're said.

Will keep this brief.. your point

I've just given you an example where you "couldnt understand" the coil whine at all. As in, it's totally inexcusable. That equates to bad in my book. Which answers your question.. what is there to even dispute?
Sounds like you are reaching. If you are going to quote me why not use:

But that's the thing if I say ANYTHING about PS5 it's from first hand experience. I know because I own one. I have an XSX and Game pass I know their value. Can you say the same about the Game pass or the Xbox? For the record I think the PS5 is a fine system with good games.
It looks like you are getting confused. I never said PS5 was bad or people should not buy one. That would be silly since I bought one myself. I have been consistent. I don't like coil whine and PS5 is a good system with an irritating issue for me any many other people. It's not a personal attack against you or whatever preference you have to game on.

IntentionalPun

I see your confusion, you're literally taking this literally. The PS5 burning the same power when it's busy or doing nothing is extremely wasteful, it will have to be turning all that power into heat if it's not switching transistors. You understand the relationship between workload frequency and power then you must know the frequency will have to be super high if the workload is next to nothing, as Kyliethc showed above :

power=work*frequency
then
frequency=power/work

I'm sure you know that pulling the same fixed power no matter if it's sitting idle or busy doesn't make sense... Intentional Pun?
Yeah; it's how it has been reported and talked about (before release) but doesn't really make much sense.

I think people are confusing a set power "budget" with set power level.

dcmk7

Banned
Sounds like you are reaching. If you are going to quote me why not use:

It looks like you are getting confused. I never said PS5 was bad or people should not buy one. That would be silly since I bought one myself. I have been consistent. I don't like coil whine and PS5 is a good system with an irritating issue for me any many other people. It's not a personal attack against you or whatever preference you have to game on.

Why am I not surprised by your response.. :messenger_winking:

Out of interest, why did you not mention your bricked Xbox in this forum?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand another user brought it up rather than yourself after seeing your post on ResetEra.

A bricked console is more serious, no? Yet, from what I can understand, you didn't say a peep until another user highlighted it. But you're massively concerned with PS5 coil whines. It seems a double standard.

I own both, I criticise both. But you seem incapable of putting Microsoft in a negative light even when you have experienced a hardware failure recently.

Why am I not surprised by your response.. :messenger_winking:

Out of interest, why did you not mention your bricked Xbox in this forum?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand another user brought it up rather than yourself after seeing your post on ResetEra.

A bricked console is more serious, no? Yet, from what I can understand, you didn't say a peep until another user highlighted it. But you're massively concerned with PS5 coil whines. It seems a double standard.

I own both, I criticise both. But you seem incapable of putting Microsoft in a negative light even when you have experienced a hardware failure recently.
I mentioned this before but my Xbox not working was not defended as not being an issue. I was not accused of not owning one. Coil whine on PS5 was treated like it was an Xbox fan conspiracy. People demanded to see PSN IDs and it was dismissed in its entirety. Big difference. MS is held accountable for issues they have with Xbox and in many cases Sony issues are blamed on MS or it's fans. It's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom