• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Richard says proof is in the pudding

Sony should be aware of this. They should not engage Digital Foundry as long as that clown is in there.

No wonder he's been hand waving developers excitement over the PS5 SSD as though he has more authority over them. He speaks like he knows better than AAA developers while he was there in the discord together with Tim and the rest of his dogs.

U7012L5.png

fVu1eY8.png

yvt8U8p.png

Qdr7lAL.jpg

FKiUvP8.png

glXkYi5.png

kpUTKGh.png

mOUlRoN.png

ZRbc2Fc.png

8LdLTBI.png
Damn. That's a bunch of trolls and hypocrites

Games Dean

I've never really hopped on the DF bashing and it sucked to see John leave, but the fact that Dictator is in that Discord is damning. I know he hasn't been in it for that long, but it's been known for awhile how toxic that community is. Not a good look for him and DF AT ALL.

bigdawg69

Banned
This thread is dead

Sony should have just went with 15TF and 24GB Ram.

People would have been a lot happier.
i agree. i would look at the top selling games and work around them. sony is fn up big time releasing a weak console. they will get the fanboys regardless, and the market share, but a worse experience.. Hopefully they get it together soon and copy microsoft and release on pc.

What kind of reconstruction technique Sony and Microsoft will have theirs consoles so in this way the can compete with DLSS of Nvidia ? :goog_unsure:

Do we have any proper insight into how the bespoke components of each console alleviate load on the cpu/GPU on each console?

e.g. the custom i/o processor/decompressor. The audio processor, etc?

I don't know about the other bespoke components like cache scrubbers and geometry engines. I'm sure they'll help a lot in the graphics.

The ultra-fast SSD will not alleviate the GPU though. It's a strawman fallacy that Xbots has been saying all this time. What the ultra fast SSD and no-bottleneck I/O will allow is INSANE TEXTURES DETAILS AND A LOT MORE VARIED ART EVERYWHERE.

There was a developer who spoke about that on twitter explaining in detail how an ultra fast SSD will result in a lot more detailed graphics. He was the one who also corrected Dictator about PS5 SSD not bringing anything to open world games. I'll try to find it.

Sony removed The Last of Us 2 from their stores. This is a very bad sign. I’ve never seen a publisher remove a game from a store after refunding all pre orders unless the game is CANCELLED. Now.... I don’t think Last of Us 2 is cancelled, but it’s definitely delayed at least 6 months, if not a year. Most likely, it’s now a PS5 launch game.

Or maybe Sony realizes that TLOU Part 2 is their biggest game of the generation and would rather it release during a time where it’s not hampered by COVID-19 so both digital and physical copies can be sold in abundance? It’s not a PS5 launch title.

Or maybe Sony realizes that TLOU Part 2 is their biggest game of the generation and would rather it release during a time where it’s not hampered by COVID-19 so both digital and physical copies can be sold in abundance? It’s not a PS5 launch title.

That's what their press release said. They even said they're at the point of just fixing bugs now. I don't know why there's a need to create wild conspiracy theories about it.

I hope you’re right. But why remove it from their store entirely? When they delayed it to May, they just updated the date. But now it’s gone. Search the PS4 store. It’s gone. That tells me it’s a PS5 game, cause they no longer have it listed as a PS4 game available to pre order.

This is not normal. They’ve had this game available to pre order since September 2019. Now they remove it from their store and give everyone their money back. That’s a lawyer driven move to avoid lawsuits and backlash. Corporations don’t just give money back unless the legal department says they have to. They promised a PS4 game, now it’s probably a PS5 game. Why else are they removing the ability to pre order the game if it was just gonna be delayed until to say August or September but still be a PS4 game? It’s digital pre order. Nothing would need to change. But the removed the game from the store entirely. That’s sketchy.

This is borderline concern trolling. Nobody knows how long this pandemic will last. It could very well last until 2021. Why would Sony hold people’s money hostage online, yet the people who preordered the game physically have the ability to request a refund at anytime? It’s simple. Sony gave everyone a refund and said, “Hey guys, we are sorry to cancel your preorder, but until we know when COVID-19 is going to end, we rather be safe than sorry.”

There is no conspiracy for a PS5 launch title and avoiding lawsuits. Like come on guy.

kyliethicc

This is borderline concern trolling. Nobody knows how long this pandemic will last. It could very well last until 2021. Why would Sony hold people’s money hostage online, yet the people who preordered the game physically have the ability to request a refund at anytime? It’s simple. Sony gave everyone a refund and said, “Hey guys, we are sorry to cancel your preorder, but until we know when COVID-19 is going to end, we rather be safe than sorry.”

There is no conspiracy for a PS5 launch title and avoiding lawsuits. Like come on guy.
L

also I’m not trolling. I’m a lifelong PlayStation fan. I’ve preorder TLOU 2 since October. I love my PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
You know, with a global recession on the way*, one that will last well into the next decade, having the cheaper machine, even if underpowered, could swing things massively for Sony.

(* some will argue it's already here)

Edit: although I now believe there's a very strong chance the XSX and PS5 will slip into early 2021.

Last edited:
Well they have never refunded my pre orders because of delays before..... this tells me they’ve avoiding liability. Liability of failing to deliver promised goods for funds paid, so to avoid the lawsuits they’re refunding the money and removing the game from stores. They didn’t do any of this in 2013 when they delayed TLOU. Or in 2016 when they delayed Uncharted 4 multiple times.... including one last time because they needed more time to print more discs.... aka logistics. And the delay from Feb to May, nothing. But now it’s gone from PS4 store and they’re giving money away to avoid liability. Trust me, corporations seek profits and don’t just give money back to buyers for shits and gigs.

also I’m not trolling. I’m a lifelong PlayStation fan. I’ve preorder TLOU 2 since October. I love my PS4 Pro.

My guy. Listen to what you just said. When all of those other delays happened...THERE WAS NO GLOBAL PANDEMIC SHUTTING DOWN THE WORLD’S ECONOMY. How are they trying to avoid liability? You are literally not making any sense. If what you said was remotely true, why hasn’t Sony contacted GameStop to start processing refunds to customers since the game “doesn’t exist”? Stop it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope you’re right. But why remove it from their store entirely? When they delayed it to May, they just updated the date. But now it’s gone. Search the PS4 store. It’s gone. That tells me it’s a PS5 game, cause they no longer have it listed as a PS4 game available to pre order.

This is not normal. They’ve had this game available to pre order since September 2019. Now they remove it from their store and give everyone their money back. That’s a lawyer driven move to avoid lawsuits and backlash. Corporations don’t just give money back unless the legal department says they have to. They promised a PS4 game, now it’s probably a PS5 game. Why else are they removing the ability to pre order the game if it was just gonna be delayed until to say August or September but still be a PS4 game? It’s digital pre order. Nothing would need to change. But the removed the game from the store entirely. That’s sketchy.

You are making some pretty big leaps here. I'm pretty sure they are planning to release it this year still, but I think it would make sense to now be a cross-gen game released on or around the PS5 launch, but who knows. If they are planning this then who knows, maybe they want to wait until they have made the relevant announcements so they can message it correctly in the online store. We just don't know, and everything else (including my opinion) is just speculation.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

My guy. Listen to what you just said. When all of those other delays happened...THERE WAS NO GLOBAL PANDEMIC SHUTTING DOWN THE WORLD’S ECONOMY. How are they trying to avoid liability? You are literally not making any sense. If what you said was remotely true, why hasn’t Sony contacted GameStop to start processing refunds to customers since the game “doesn’t exist”? Stop it.
“ You are literally not making any sense. “ .... “ Stop it. “

Moses85

You know, with a global recession on the way*, one that will last well into the next decade, having the cheaper machine, even if underpowered, could swing things massively for Sony.

(* some will argue it's already here)

Edit: although I now believe there's a very strong chance the XSX and PS5 will slip into early 2021.

I personally don’t believe in this.

I have a other theory.
Due to the convid and the Problem a lot of people lost their jobs, the pricepoint Microsoft and Sony are targeting is gone now. They have to subsidize their new consoles even more!

Here in Germany for example, we are working less and get paid less. (Up to 40%)

kyliethicc

You are making some pretty big leaps here. I'm pretty sure they are planning to release it this year still, but I think it would make sense to now be a cross-gen game released on or around the PS5 launch, but who knows. If they are planning this then who knows, maybe they want to wait until they have made the relevant announcements so they can message it correctly in the online store. We just don't know, and everything else (including my opinion) is just speculation.
L

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I hope. But it’s a very bad sign they just deleted the game on the PS4 store. This indicates me that either

1) it is a PS5 game now and will launch this November on PS5 and PS4 like Halo is.... Cross gen but marketed as next gen.
or
2) it is a now a November release to cover financially that quarter because PS5 is delayed til 2021
or
3) It’s delayed until 2021 because of rona and crunch culture bad PR, so they’re relaxing work rate, delaying game but taking care of their employees.

The game will eventually come. So, take it easy.

Neo Blaster

Sony removed The Last of Us 2 from their stores. This is a very bad sign. I’ve never seen a publisher remove a game from a store after refunding all pre orders unless the game is CANCELLED. Now.... I don’t think Last of Us 2 is cancelled, but it’s definitely delayed at least 6 months, if not a year. Most likely, it’s now a PS5 launch game.
Jesus, gotta love this hyperbole...Chill out and put yourself together, man!!

Last edited:

llien

Would you mind providing the source that stated 7nm DUV designs are compatible with 5nm while 7nm EUV designs are not

N7P is DUV, N7+ EUV.
Bu tit's N6 compatibility, not N5, you are right.

N6

N6 is the EUV equivalent of N7. It is planned to use more EUV layers than N7+. It is both design rule and IP-compatible with N7 and is intended to be the main migration path for most customers. N7 designs may be taped out again on N6 leveraging EUV masks and the fidelity improvements or re-implemented to take advantage of the poly over diffusion edge (PODE) and continuous diffusion (CNOD) standard cell abutment rules which are said to provide an additional 18% density improvement. It’s worth highlighting that N6 is unique in that it will actually enter risk production early next year and ramp by the end of the year 2020. This means it will ramp after N5. For that reason, TSMC says that N6 builds on both N7+ and N5 EUV learnings.

vseXmNO.png

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
How easy?

relax. Yeah it’s gonna release someday. Thanks genius.

My point is that considering the ongoing worldwide crisis, it's understandable that businesses are delaying products; people shouldn't be working unless they work in an essential field (i.e. health, law enforcement, food provision, etc). Hence, you shouldn't be complaining that TLOU2 has been delayed or that Sony has refunded people their money (since they'd be criticized for holding people's money during this time, when a lot of people need their money since they're not allowed to work). So, l repeat: The game will eventually come. So, take it easy.

Shmunter

I don't know about the other bespoke components like cache scrubbers and geometry engines. I'm sure they'll help a lot in the graphics.

The ultra-fast SSD will not alleviate the GPU though. It's a strawman fallacy that Xbots has been saying all this time. What the ultra fast SSD and no-bottleneck I/O will allow is INSANE TEXTURES DETAILS AND A LOT MORE VARIED ART EVERYWHERE.

There was a developer who spoke about that on twitter explaining in detail how an ultra fast SSD will result in a lot more detailed graphics. He was the one who also corrected Dictator about PS5 SSD not bringing anything to open world games. I'll try to find it.
Yeah, the comparison is not clear cut until we know what comprises these systems as a whole. That recent PS5 DF anaylysis said the audio processor itself can consume 20Gig/sec of ram - that's a lot of compute on that chip,

The SSD is a tangible and simple assessment. The faster the better. Cut scene quality LOD assets will be a reality during real-time gameplay this gen, anyone disputing such a basic principle may as well call themselves a flat earther.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom