• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was that a really false rumours?

MS were really imposing some weird stuff. Even the big gaming media were after them and making some pressure.

Theres even a famous Interview with Geff and the Guy from MS with his stupid response "buy a 360 instead".

Sony exploited greatly with the vídeo below. No simple rumour at all. Dont twist reality, my friend

And whatever they tried to implement was changed and announced 6 months before launch. Problem solved and clarified.

We'll have to see how clear Sony is with PS5 specs. Nobody know what the base clocks are or how long 10.3tf can be sustained under hard load. Even their web site says "up to" for both cpu and gpu clocks, so it shows both can fluctuate.

And if one of them fluctuates, you aren't getting 10.3tf.

Neo Blaster

"staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations."

Please show me where it states anything about AA quality. Of course you have to spin stuff to fit your narrative lol
Of course small teams can create AAA games, but I guess it would take an entire generation. It's just too much work without enough human resources.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You don't play specs, son. No one does. You play games.

PS was perceived to have the games. It was THE place to play them all in the public eye. Even the PRO was selling at a rate of 1 to every 4 base PS4s, according to Sony, and it wasn't the power enticing most, but the perception of games.
If specs don't matter why does anyone even bother upgrading to new consoles or buy mid gen refreshes? Just stick to current gen or a base console.

The vast majority of new games are up ports. But that's a big enough draw. And those eye candy new games come from higher spec systems.

If specs don't matter why does anyone even bother upgrading to new consoles or buy mid gen refreshes? Just stick to current gen or a base console.

The vast majority of new games are up ports. But that's a big enough draw. And those eye candy new games come from higher spec systems.
Most people don't right away. They wait until they feel upgrading will be "worth it", and usually as third parties start to cease cross-gen support. The enthusiasts are who goes first.

Well, them and the people who feel the need to have the trendy new stuff. The bulk do wait.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, well, well...

So you are acting like there isnt a narrative being pushed here that the PS5 is more like a 9.2tf and not actually 10.2?

Thats the whole reason why Sony fans are insisting on this subject. Its more due to some Xbox fanboys behaviour than anything else.

At this point, I can guarantee to You that most of Sony fans can careless about Series X theorical advantage. They know that this doesnt automatically make Ps5 crap as It also has its advantages and they have right to be excited about then (like the SSD), but for some weird reason some Xbox fans act like PS fans have no reason and right to excited for the ps5.

Sony fans know what they Will get on ps5 and I am sure they Will be Very pleased about It.

I keep saying that PS5 is more or less a 10TF console, that extra 0.3 more or less won't change much, if anything. But I simply cannot understand that sick fascination about the SSD, because streaming, no matter how good, is just a workaround to insufficient RAM, 2, 5 8 GB/s is nothing vs 400/500/600/1TB per second. During PS360 era it has become common to use in-engine cut-scenes rather than pre-rendered CGI, but the consoles didn't have enough computing power to render the cut-scenes assets in real-time. PS4/XB1 - same deal, in-engine cut-scenes are marvelous, far ahead of actual gameplays, take the infamous UC4 teaser trailer - ND already created a next-gen worthy models, textures, lightning, shadows etc. but PS4 simply wasn't capable to run it in real-time. Now fast forward to next-gen consoles - let's say they will be able to store/stream those ultra high quality assets, but it will still be the processing power tht will dictate whether those assets can be rendered real-time or not. Not to mention that sequential read which both Sony and MS are telling about is the very best case scenario, there's a reason why that Spider-Man tech-demo took "just" 10x faster to load on on a ~75x faster drive, despite Sony eliminating all the bottlenecks, there's simply a severe difference between loading one 10GB file vs thousands of tiny files, everyone who ever copied a movie and multiple mp3 on a pendrive should know that, that's not a rocket science, that's just how it works, and spamming "paradigm" all day long won't change that.

Console fans don't have to swallow anything since they don't care about PC. All this debate is among consoles only.

And yet, they seem to be more obsessed with on-paper specs than the PC crowd ever has... Like someone said here already some time ago, if you're so much concerned/obsessed about the specs but look for a console, you're already doing it wrong. People who want to play another Gears/Halo/Forza will get the next XB no matter what, people who want to play another GoW/GT/HZD will get the next PS no matter what, people who don't care about exclusives and play mostly 3rd party games will have a gentle discussion/questions/doubts, but fanboys will always do everything they can to make "their" console look better than the other, completely exaggerate its strengths and underplay its weaknesses.

ethomaz

Banned
You don't play specs, son. No one does. You play games.

PS was perceived to have the games. It was THE place to play them all in the public eye. Even the PRO was selling at a rate of 1 to every 4 base PS4s, according to Sony, and it wasn't the power enticing most, but the perception of games.
When people says that PS4 success was due the better specs I roll my eyes :D

The issue with specs was that PS4 was stronger and $100 cheaper... if XB1 was cheaper nobody may talk about the specs.

Another key factor were games... Sony come from a PS3 that delivered high praises AAA games while MS stopped to support 360 in 2012.

The mindshare about PS having the best game were already made up.

Coincidente or not PS4 ends like PS5 with fully support in high budget games that will push the move to PS5.
So the situation of PS5 is pretty comfortable right now with most the gamers moving from PS4 to PS5 due MS again lacking support in games.

Games wins generations.

Last edited:
When people says that PS4 success was due the better specs I roll my eyes :D

The issue with specs was that PS4 was stronger and $100 cheaper... if XB1 was cheaper nobody may talk about the specs.

Another key factor were games... Sony come from a PS3 that delivered high praises AAA games while MS stopped to support 360 in 2012.

The mindshare about PS having the best game were already made up.

Coincidente or not PS4 ends like PS5 with fully support in high budget games that will push the move to PS5.
So the situation of PS5 is pretty comfortable right now with most the gamers moving from PS4 to PS5 due MS again lacking support in games.

Games wins generations.
That too.

A lot of people also forget that the people who switched from the PS2 to the 360, or the 360 to the PS4, did so because of the disastrous launches and messaging of the two companies as well. Xbox being the TV box, watching you for tailored ads via the Kinect, and having draconian DRM with their games was a massive turn-off to Joe Q. Public, just as much as $599 and no major games was for them with the PS3.

That hurt both for years.

Last edited:
Really? Most Sony fans don't care if SeX is more powerful?

And why is that?

Because if you time warped to 2013 when system specs were hacked/leaked showing PS4 more powerful, which lead to 1080p games vs Xbox One 720p - 1080p games, it sure seemed like the average PS4 gamer cared a lot.

As for PS5's tf max, nobody even knows how much PS5 can sustain 10.3tf under tough conditions. And nobody even knows how long the gpu's 223 ghz can sustain that. Cerny answered with a vague "most of time" answer.

Even on Sony's own blog site, it says "up to" for both cpu and gpu. And if either of these are not maxed out, it's not going to be 10.3tf.

CPU: Variable frequency, up to 3.5 GHz

GPU: Variable frequency, up to 2.23 GHz (10.3 TFLOPS)
Capped frequency.
Totally different technology here

ethomaz

Banned
That too.

A lot of people also forget that the people who switched from the PS2 to the 360, or the 360 to the PS4, did so because of the disastrous launches and messaging of the two companies as well. Xbox being the TV box, watching you for tailored ads via the Kinect, and having draconian DRM with their games was a massive turn-off to Joe Q. Public, just as much as $599 and no major games was for them with the PS3.

That hurt both for years.
Well I believe if PS3 was launched in 2005 even at $500-600 that migration from PS2 to 360 could not happen in the scale it happened.

PS3 always sold well but it was always behind due the year late.

I still put a lot of hold in 360 to PS4 due the strong support of Sony with PS3 at end of the gen when MS basically forget they had a console in the market.

That is show how many 360 owners bought TLOUR for PS4.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
Yes, if you want to play a lot of games at the same time. In my case, I'll have to make do with an external drive till I save enough for a PS5 certified SSD.
that will change this generation or the next. AI will take a big part in this. We already see AI helping with character animations. Creation of assets will benefit from AI too. What was done by 500 people could be done by 50 in the future.

Last edited:
Well I believe if PS3 was launched in 2005 even at $500-600 that migration from PS2 to 360 could not happen in the scale it happened.

PS3 always sold well but it was always behind due the year late.
It sold "well" but not "PlayStation well".

They were limping for a bit.

On Demand

Banned
Now you know what it feels like when unclear communication can lead to hyperbole or pure trolling for months before the system releases.

Just like 2013 when rumours were MS was going kill used games, put your system on internet lockdown, only cared about TV. Whether or not some or all of the policies were true, MS shot them down that summer and everything was set back to what is traditionally done in gaming. So when it launched, the criticized policies were debunked 6 months earlier and nowhere to be found, yet you still got gamers and the media pressuring them for answers later. Even now in 2020 you can still find people saying tv tv tv.

So what you're going to get this time around is Cerny having a bulleyes on his head answering questions for perhaps years.

Lets not compare anti consumer policies and terrible company PR to fanboy Internet FUD. One was actually real and had direct affect on the XB platform. The other is a fanboy fantasy creation that's not going to affect anything with PS5. After Sony fully unveils the console and games, nobody is going to be talking about all this current nonsense bs rumours.

PaintTinJr

Maybe. There were tons of rumours floating around at the time.

Just like Sony announced this. Yo-yo-ing cpu/gpu "up to" speeds. Something people are trying to get concrete info about, which is why sites are confused.

Your comment is just wrong (IMO) as anyone that hasn’t got their head around the clock setup on the PS5 is either not at the technical level to understand the very precise words Mark Cerny used in his GDC talk – which is where I think you are at by failing to understand a concept he introduced as seeming counter-intuitive - or is feigning misunderstanding to project a false narrative as DF are most certainly doing for clicks and/or bias, but probably more for clicks.

Not at all. We're still all here.

And with systems not coming out for another 6 months minimum, all everyone can do it sit, wait and have fun on forums with speculation.

We aren't the ones posting a thread 30 hours after Cerny's show (that thread someone posted about "state of the union") which had someone crying people were grilling PS5 for a whopping 30 hours.
Wow you declare fan from a billionaire company not some IPs, artists or programers a company .... wtf is wrong and not
only with you also with PS fans, for the companies you are only numbers only money bags.

Neo Blaster

that will change this generation or the next. AI will take a big part in this. We already see AI helping with character animations. Creation of assets will benefit from AI too. What was done by 500 people could be done by 50 in the future.
Sorry, but I didn't understand your point. You're talking about effort to create assets and animations during development, how is that related to storage space management?

Last edited:

44alltheway

Having a Power advantage is always a Win.

The difference is that that wasnt made the Center of all discussion. There were too many things to be said about Xbox one in the past.

And I really see a different behaviour here. Just look at How some Xbox patrols Unite each other to promote many bad false rumours about PS5. That is something New for me tbh.
Hey! You’re that guy who tried to pass off “insider” info. I remember you!

FranXico

Just like 2013 when rumours were MS was going kill used games, put your system on internet lockdown, only cared about TV. Whether or not some or all of the policies were true, MS shot them down that summer and everything was set back to what is traditionally done in gaming. So when it launched, the criticized policies were debunked 6 months earlier and nowhere to be found, yet you still got gamers and the media pressuring them for answers later. Even now in 2020 you can still find people saying tv tv tv.
Not a rumor. A FACT. MS themselves mentioned the 24 hour authentication period at reveal ("who wants to live there", "get a 360", etc.).
Reverting something does not mean it never existed or that it was a lie.
"Debunked" ROFL.

Maybe the fact that MS pretended like the DRM was never going to happen ("Get the Facts") instead of just admitting that they reverted it pre-launch was also offensive to consumers? That does not come across as particularly honest to me. Just a thought.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a rumor. A FACT. MS themselves mentioned the 24 hour authentication period at reveal ("who wants to live there", "get a 360", etc.).
Reverting something does not mean it never existed or that it was a lie.
"Debunked" ROFL.

Maybe the fact that MS pretended like the DRM was never going to happen ("Get the Facts") instead of just admitting that they reverted it pre-launch was also offensive to consumers? That does not come across as particularly honest to me. Just a thought.
Sure it was debunked. Any DRM stuff was communicated as cancelled during the summer of 2013. Xbox One launched in November.

Find me one Xbox One system out of the 50 million out there that have any of those policies jammed into the OS.

Last edited:

FranXico

What is that lol? Never heard of that term in relation to gaming.
It's a term coined by some fanboys in disdain of first party PS exclusives. An amusing strawman about lack of gameplay that they will hypocritically forget about when MS first party studios inevitably start emulating their style, gameplay and feel. In a way, they already started adopting the narrative style more, judging by Gears 5.

Last edited:

B_Boss

I’d say that is the small minority who would do that? I would absolutely but I probably don’t represent the general population of gamers who don’t feel the need (much less, want) to get the “pro” version of their choice console at mid-gen.

Hey everyone. Not sure if this is the correct Forum for this but I bought a house and my next gen console is going into the office. I have my 3 monitor set up for work and I was goingto add a tv but its not a big office and honestly 55 mite be to big of a tv for it but 50 or under seems good. Outside of the OLED 48 cx are there any other good smaller tv's comming out this year with hdmi 2.1. I could do a monitor but the 4k 120 refresh seems to expensive. Thank you

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Maybe. There were tons of rumours floating around at the time.

Just like Sony announced this. Yo-yo-ing cpu/gpu "up to" speeds. Something people are trying to get concrete info about, which is why sites are confused.

They're not that confused.

They just want to know the base clocks so they can say that it's not really 10.2TF. That's why Brad Sams keeps saying it's really 9.2TF console instead of a 10.2TF console.

Cerny has said developers can use 10.2 TF if needed, but you still have people ignore that simple fact and go on saying, "It's a 9.2TF console that can only reach 10.2 TF sometimes."

quest

Not Banned from OT

They just want to know the base clocks so they can say that it's not really 10.2TF. That's why Brad Sams keeps saying it's really 9.2TF console instead of a 10.2TF console.

Cerny has said developers can use 10.2 TF if needed, but you still have people ignore that simple fact and go on saying, "It's a 9.2TF console that can only reach 10.2 TF sometimes."
I have never seen so many people defend a company's stance to not disclose the full faqs since the DRM fiasco of 2013. Sony needs to be 100% transparent about this with charts of the numbers they can be held to including a list of loads that cause issues like avx256. You can't only post good numbers and sweep not so good ones under the rug that is shitty and needs to be called out like many of us did Microsoft in 2013.

Noctis114

Neo Member
Now you know what it feels like when unclear communication can lead to hyperbole or pure trolling for months before the system releases.

So what you're going to get this time around is Cerny having a bulleyes on his head answering questions for perhaps years.
Bruh, imagine defending Don Mattrick and his insane decisions and passing it off as "rumours" in 2020, lmao.

original.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I have never seen so many people defend a company's stance to not disclose the full faqs since the DRM fiasco of 2013. Sony needs to be 100% transparent about this with charts of the numbers they can be held to including a list of loads that cause issues like avx256. You can't only post good numbers and sweep not so good ones under the rug that is shitty and needs to be called out like many of us did Microsoft in 2013.
They're transparent.

There's nothing to hide, people just want a reason not to call it a 10.2 TF console.

If devs can have their game using 10.2TF of GPU power whenever they like, then knowing the base clock becomes irrelevant.

I'm sure if Cerny said the base number is 9.8TF, but it can stay at 10.2TF, people such as yourself are going to go with the 9.8TF and claim it's not really a 10.2TF console.

At this point, you guys are looking for reasons not to call it a 10.2TF console.

Jesb

Is Sony going to be retarded again when it comes to letting us have our Bluetooth headphones working on it.

I keep saying that PS5 is more or less a 10TF console, that extra 0.3 more or less won't change much, if anything. But I simply cannot understand that sick fascination about the SSD, because streaming, no matter how good, is just a workaround to insufficient RAM, 2, 5 8 GB/s is nothing vs 400/500/600/1TB per second. During PS360 era it has become common to use in-engine cut-scenes rather than pre-rendered CGI, but the consoles didn't have enough computing power to render the cut-scenes assets in real-time. PS4/XB1 - same deal, in-engine cut-scenes are marvelous, far ahead of actual gameplays, take the infamous UC4 teaser trailer - ND already created a next-gen worthy models, textures, lightning, shadows etc. but PS4 simply wasn't capable to run it in real-time. Now fast forward to next-gen consoles - let's say they will be able to store/stream those ultra high quality assets, but it will still be the processing power tht will dictate whether those assets can be rendered real-time or not. Not to mention that sequential read which both Sony and MS are telling about is the very best case scenario, there's a reason why that Spider-Man tech-demo took "just" 10x faster to load on on a ~75x faster drive, despite Sony eliminating all the bottlenecks, there's simply a severe difference between loading one 10GB file vs thousands of tiny files, everyone who ever copied a movie and multiple mp3 on a pendrive should know that, that's not a rocket science, that's just how it works, and spamming "paradigm" all day long won't change that.

SSD isn't a "workaround" for insufficient RAM, it hugely alleviates the need for a massive amount of RAM.

A substantial portion of RAM in the PS4/XB1 era was "wasted" because filling up the RAM took over 20 seconds off the HDD (sometimes up to a minute or more). As a result, RAM was wasted with assets that COULD have been used by the player within that timing window.

With the PS5, developers can fill up most of VRAM in less than a second. As Cerny said, it is "just in time" assets. There is no need waste precious RAM with unnecessary data. It's a radical shift in how modern games will allocate memory throughout the I/O chain. And Cerny has even gone one step further to prevent inefficient memory useage with the geometry engine and GPU cache scrubbers.

Processing power is not the limiting factor when it comes to texture detail. Many of those in-engine FMV cutscenes served a dual purpose - 1) they hid loading the next gameplay scene, and 2) while many of then could have been rendered in-game, to load high resolution face texture detail would have taken too long to load.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
They're transparent.

There's nothing to hide, people just want a reason not to call it a 10.2 TF console.

If devs can have their game using 10.2TF of GPU power whenever they like, then knowing the base clock becomes irrelevant.

I'm sure if Cerny said the base number is 9.8TF, but it can stay at 10.2TF, people such as yourself are going to go with the 9.8TF and claim it's not really a 10.2TF console.

At this point, you guys are looking for reasons not to call it a 10.2TF console.
Sure they can have it maxed out if they limit high power cpu work loads like avx256. That is all they told us about it. Is there GPU work loads that cause issues? Are there other problematic CPU workloads. If a game makes heavy use of the problem work loads how low can the clocks go. There is so many questions unanswered intentionally by Sony right now. Just marketing speak mostly, a couple ect nothing concrete. You can choose to keep your head in the sand and defend the right to hide the bad. I will call out both companies for that behavior.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sure they can have it maxed out if they limit high power cpu work loads like avx256. That is all they told us about it. Is there GPU work loads that cause issues? Are there other problematic CPU workloads. If a game makes heavy use of the problem work loads how low can the clocks go. There is so many questions unanswered intentionally by Sony right now. Just marketing speak mostly, a couple ect nothing concrete. You can choose to keep your head in the sand and defend the right to hide the bad. I will call out both companies for that behavior.

No, you're looking for reasons to call into question what they're saying.

If they said a game can use all 10.2TF if needed, then there's nothing else to say.

You think problems will occur, yet you're assuming the worst will happen.

ethomaz

Banned

The base clock is 2230Mhz.
It decrease in some heavy workload if needed to not go over the target power draw.

There is no boost clock.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
No, you're looking for reasons to call into question what they're saying.

If they said a game can use all 10.2TF if needed, then there's nothing else to say.

You think problems will occur, yet you're assuming the worst will happen.
That is not true at all from the man as I said work loads can cause issues. He says it in marking speak to avoid hard numbers. Black and white no ifs ands or buts.

"Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively.
When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor," he explains

Sure it was debunked. Any DRM stuff was communicated as cancelled during the summer of 2013. Xbox One launched in November.

Find me one Xbox One system out of the 50 million out there that have any of those policies jammed into the OS.

Every single XBO at launch had the DRM baked into it. You had to download a Day One patch to get rid of it. Some people tested things out without installing the patch. One horrible thing they found out was that even if you bought the disk, it downloaded it from the Xbox Store, instead of just putting the disc data on the HDD. The data on the disk was useless. Basically just a key to access your online game.

Last edited:
That is not true at all from the man as I said work loads can cause issues. He says it in marking speak to avoid hard numbers. Black and white no ifs ands or buts.

"Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively.
When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor," he explains

What are you arguing about?

He's always stated the vast majority of scenarios the games can use the stated top clocks, and only reduces SLIGHTLY during scenarios.

It's not like the power is going to be reduced to 9TF. You're looking at 10.3 TF most of the time, and sometimes it'll go down to around 10.

pasterpl

"It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale. "
From Windows Central. A VERY pro-Xbox site.

I suppose you think Windows Central espouses "my" narrative. Whatever you've decided that is. But all I'm doing is showing the source of this belief.

one should also look at job listings, and hiring history. They are looking for people with AAA experience and hired lots of people from AAA studios. Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if they push/release something “smaller” that the initial team started working on last year and might be working in bigger project in parallel with the wider team. Don’t forget that this discussion started from people saying that ms studios will not release/develop AAA games.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I said if 10.2TF is there if needed, that means they can run at 10.2TF, even if they need to use less CPU power.

It's 10.2TF. You guys need to stop. It's getting ridiculous.

longdi

Banned

Sadly it may take a while to know the truth behind PS5 clock speeds.
I dont think even DF can get access to devkit to read frequency.

ksdixon

Soo... I have a question.
On PS4 I have kept all WWE games and their DLC installed on my PS4 internal HDD.

This is because some of them have been taken off the PStore.

Am I going to be able to get this data across to my PS5? I assume this question would also apply to those whom are still holding onto P.T.

Kusarigama

On PS4 I have kept all WWE games and their DLC installed on my PS4 internal HDD.

Am I going to be able to get this data across to my PS5? I assume this question would also apply to those whom are still holding onto P.T.
There's no official word on this yet. I have been holding on to P.T. and would highly appreciate transfer of PS4 data to PS5 locally either by ethernet cable or usb storge.

Nickolaidas

Oh? I was under the impression you can freely re-download anything taken down by the PS Store.

ksdixon

Oh? I was under the impression you can freely re-download anything taken down by the PS Store.

PS3/360 gen, sure. But didn't that precedent change this gen? I thought users were completely locked off from P.T. if they had to change their PS4 HDD's or whatever?

After Hogan's racist thing I'm pretty sure his WWE 2K15 DLC was eradicated from PStore all together, and I've heard that a few games after that have also been pulled down?

I. Can't. Even.

lol There’s not point in arguing with these people. They act “concerned” when really they are asking dumb questions that have already been answered in an attempt to cast FUD on information we already know. The irony? These same people take MS’s “locked clocks” at face value, yet everything we’ve heard suggests XSX CPU/GPU is governed by thermals. So even with the cooling, doesn’t that mean that XSX is also going to downclock to prevent overheating as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom