• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corndog

Banned
Also the rest of his/her pathetic tweets... like supercar owner, pics of a Lambo in Utah, then his/her house being built in California... I remember I was about 16 and pretty insecure when I was humble bragging like that. At least I had the excuse of the age.

Sorry I cannot tell you more about that, but I am under NDA.

It's like those movies that are so bad, that they are good. Only it doesn't work that well in people.
I doubt the guy is legit but who knows. Also are you sure that car picture is utah? While it does look like utah some of the surrounding states have similar features.

Corndog

Banned
Why not? You can do it in CPUs, software prefetch. :messenger_sunglasses:
But for DX12 I would suspect just old boomer methods: 3rd frame is the winner! :messenger_tears_of_joy: (if you don't get the reference, think why in the control panel there is a setting about how many frames the driver can "prepare" in advance)
Or they will just use SFS for everything.
After all they set up buffers each frame anyway in DX12.
This has nothing to do with the above but it reminded me of doing some buffer swapping on a tiny game I made as a youngster. I think I made a 64k array and drew into it. Then I just copied the entire buffer to video ram(A000h). Things were pretty simple then.

This person claims he's not a dev but is involved in the gaming industry. Take it for what it is. It might as well be someone wanting attention.

Dude , really now, please stop it.
These sources you are linking...
Man...

Just stop it please.
I can't even....phew, sheeeeesh.

Check your sources more carefully please.
All you are doing is quoting some random twitter people who are obviously anti-Sony and MS-Fanbois.
Do you really think anyone is going to buy into that?
I haven't seen a single objective non ms-related info from you yet.

Why not? You can do it in CPUs, software prefetch. :messenger_sunglasses:
But for DX12 I would suspect just old boomer methods: 3rd frame is the winner! :messenger_tears_of_joy: (if you don't get the reference, think why in the control panel there is a setting about how many frames the driver can "prepare" in advance)
Or they will just use SFS for everything.
After all they set up buffers each frame anyway in DX12.

That would help with a cache miss caused by data not yet requested but it wouldn't help if the cache got completely nuked after it was already prefetched or fetched more typically, would it? Or am I understanding the role of the scrubbers and CE wrong?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Well, the account is indeed a mess, but, I found it interesting that this person has more followers than he himself is following. Normally, it would be the opposite if someone is a nobody, to put it bluntly.

Wrong my man , it’s not about followers .. I could do that in 20 mins and tweet like an insider but that won’t make me one .. does it ? Of course not

THE:MILKMAN

Yes but nobody knows who I am I still use the same name as on this forum.

2w-bhnlyDGUsGwHdzkJAL0KpO0_VaIg0kjjM9Ys-Od2l6gD072TUS9QMHLo0kYL7umdW7A8TdbXlqSqCDBLzOvTR0u4b6p1LqBdT9-7lQ0LaFpE1sb6BEdZFG2-wvhldNuQJ1hE

:messenger_beaming:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well, excuse me for trying to understand the Xbox. It's not as if we already know most things regarding the PS5 architecture, and relatively little of the XSX...
And that tweet helped you understand Xbox more?Then tell us what was interesting or new about that tweet.

Not even talking about what is true or not in this tweet.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I honestly find GT to be sterile and dull, it hasn't really grown with the times in terms of feel and despite some improvement it still remains very much the cliched "bumper cars with vacuum cleaners for engines" game. Even though I'm all for a sim, it just doesn't excite me or feel exhilarating in the slightest, it makes me feel cold. PD must have enormous resources by now, but I don't see where it's going as it just doesn't seem to grow much. I've always been a PlayStation gamer primarily, but I have to give credit where credit is due, Forza MS has pretty much outclassed it for me. I feel like PD are just going through the motions while T10 seem to really push forward.

DC was flat out my favourite racing game, it certainly wasn't a sim but it wasn't too arcadey either, it just struck that perfect simcade balance, a kinda luxurious hollywood realism. As you mention, the sense of speed is unmatched. I can feel the passion of the devs oozing out of the game.

The odd thing is, that while GT may be the supposedly realistic one with all the physically correct simulation going on, DC actually feels more like how it feels to drive an actual car. I've driven a few cars that are in each game and GT may get the numbers right, but no doubt about it, DC nails the sensation.. I also find the overbearing "stiffness" in GT to be a drag, cars don't steer that way in real life, I find it's just being difficult because difficult supposedly = realistic.

I hope GT7 can prove me wrong, I loved GT once too, but that was a different time. :'(

With it disappearing off the store, I'll be clinging to my physical copy of DC indefinitely (would barely even get a fiver for it now anyway). It's criminal that Sony didn't fork out for a Pro patch at least (even if they had to outsource it post-dissolution of evo studios). Given that the OG target for DC was 60fps and they only locked to 30fps because they wanted to guarantee stability, I wouldn't have been at all surprised if the 1.60GHz>2.13GHz could have netted a pretty solid 60fps, alongside a bump to at least 1440p. It's a beautiful looking game but it's starting to look a little crispy now that I'm playing it on a 55" 4K OLED as opposed to the 42" 1080p LCD I initially played it on.

Saying that, the 30fps on DC is excellent, the 30fps is solid, frame-times are perfect, latency is great, internal simulation is running higher I believe and there's no apparent tearing, plus there's great motion blur. While 60fps will of course be preferable, there's nothing unpleasant about it and it's certainly not night and day with other 60fps racers.

Man, it's sad that many started appreciating the game when it got released for free on PS Plus. Not sure what really happened with the studio but the game has the potential to be the best car game out their. To me it felt like Ridge Racer back in the day on PS1, and that's a mistake to have no modifications or more depth into the game. Man, how the cam shakes when you're reaching mental speed on the Ferrari FXX K:

It's a major shame that it didn't get a PS4 Pro patch, it's still feels next gen. DriveClub and The Order 1886 are the phenomena of current gen, very bad reception yet so much potential for something legendary. DC suffered from MP connectivity, that what gave it bad press.

GT Sport looks dull indeed to me, and that static 3rd person video cam doesn't help but you can fix the camera and tweak how much sway it adds when you turn. I can't deny its professionalism but I think DC is better. Funny that one guy made an in-depth comparison between the two only a week ago:

And of course, playing on AT is shit, MT is always the optimal choice for full control, and most enjoyable. So far, The Crew 2 is my best car game overall, and DriveClub has the best physics, sounds, atmosphere. Didn't try Project Cars, GT Sport, or Assetto Corsa this gen. I can see Project Cars being the ultimate in terms of physics from what I've seen so far, not sure though.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Weren't you a professional athlete? xD

I'm sure, but if you don't go around blowing your horn and SAYING who you are, there are these things called 'handle' that you use. They can be different than your actual name and can actually be pretty much whatever you want. So, he goes by "HeisenbergFX4" instead of 'Pete Rose' like he's known in real life!

Same reason I use an unassuming 'Clark Kent' type of identity online so people don't faint from fear whenever they talk to me! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Ascend

and you think some random guy with no insider background is a good source for that?

I am sure we're all interested in valid information, not random twitter fanboys.
And that tweet helped you understand Xbox more?Then tell us what was interesting or new about that tweet.

Not even talking about what is true or not in this tweet.
No it didn't. But if we actually start talking about the Xbox for once, we might reach some new info.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm sure, but if you don't go around blowing your horn and SAYING who you are, there are these things called 'handle' that you use. They can be different than your actual name and can actually be pretty much whatever you want. So, he goes by "HeisenbergFX4" instead of 'Pete Rose' like he's known in real life!

Same reason I use an unassuming 'Clark Kent' type of identity online so people don't faint from fear whenever they talk to me! :messenger_winking_tongue:

I wish I could like this comment 5x.

I just like keeping my personal life gaming separate from my following the forums playing with randos gamer guy.

For digging info on XSX we had a few posts earlier talking about how the game suspending and resuming might work, and what kinds of speeds to expect, along with some amateur analysis. Not much more we can do. XSX is a very solid console taking another big step forward, but we kind of know what to expect from it. It's Sony's extreme focus on IO, and their claim it will change how games are made etc that is the big unknown at the moment. Does it actually enable anything new? Is it overkill and wasted money? Just how big a deal is it? Why are developers excited about it? Is it because it only makes their lives easier as far as development goes, or because it enables some new paradigm in how games play? If it's just making developers lives easier, then does that open up a game project's scope to allow more features if less time is spent on smoke and mirrors? Was the Lumen demo really stretching Sony's IO? Or barely touching it?
Like it or not, the PS5 is the big unknown at the moment. We don't know what it looks like, we've seen no games running on it aside from a tech demo. We have no idea how those triggers will work, how responsive they'll be, how well the haptics are implemented etc.
XSX we've seen stripped down and built backup. We've seen games running on it. The controller has one extra button. The hardware fundamentals inside are solid, and we pretty much know what to expect in that it will eat up good looking games. There's been plenty of talk about it here. I've learned some stuff from talking to others about it, but it doesn't have the same mystery about it as PS5 does right now.
That might all change once Sony pulls back the curtain in June.

Sinthor

Gold Member
No it didn't. But if we actually start talking about the Xbox for once, we might reach some new info.

Uh.....there was a lot of talk about the XSX as well, in fact MOSTLY as more was known. That's changed since this UE5 demo came out, for sure. What new info is there to discuss about the XSX? I'm sure if there is some good information out there that can be presented from a legitimate source, lots of people will be happy to discuss it. I'm not aware of any though and I'm afraid we're at least CLOSE to the point, if not there already, where there is a diminishing amount of discussion that can break new ground until we get more information and have more visual and written evidence to back up our debates. Maybe I'm wrong.

Bottom line, there are no victims here. Everyone is CHOOSING to participate in this forum and discuss whatever they choose.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just my opinion and a theory but...

The more I think about it, I don't think it's as much Sony who have been caught out by the power narrative, but more Microsoft who may have been so consumed by wanting to be the most powerful with TF (maybe encouraged down that path and maybe wanting to go there also). So much that I wonder if they underestimated and maybe even have fallen behind in the real key area of next gen advancements and breakthroughs, the io, breathtaking speed and system efficiency.

People wiser than me like Coreteks seem to think the PS5 has got it right with the io.

I mean who really expected the breakthroughs Sony seems to have made to possibly be as amazing as it's sounding... 100 times faster processing than ps4... it's a dream they had but to fulfil it...

Were hearing revolutionary from some, praising the 'breakthroughs' from others and some high calibre people.

I wonder if Xbox is actually secretly a little concerned behind closed doors now cards are on the table more?

They have that TF number and yes a lead in raw compute and most fans on seeing that think it's over.

But have they been left behind too much in this io area which more and more is sounding the real game changer?
I am getting that feeling too. i think MS is definitely concerned seeing as how the conversation has completely shifted to the SSD and they no longer seem to be touting their most powerful mantra. it's entirely possible that the early ps5 rumors of it being a monster and the more powerful console was due to the ssd and i/o improvements. not tflops.

that said, i think its still too early. tflops are tflops and MS first party studios should be able to produce some sick looking games like Hellblade 2. when you can approach photorealism like that is going to stand out.

Well if the numbers used are correct and it was loading 9.5gb in that time. Assuming older game code wasn't an issue also which it may be, and be improved a bit on optimised code utilising the XVA.

But was also repeating what I intrepted from that dev opinion too which kind of matches up. Min 2.5 - 5 times as fast, presumably in io.

It makes sense to me but is of course at this moment speculation but the more we hear that lines up the more it seems right.

It's already 2 times with ssd alone, factor in bottlenecks not present in ps5 that most likely are in xbox and you have a wider gap if so.
Add to that if we to believe Cerny that developers don't need to do much on ps5 other than assigning IDs to the files to utilize ssd speed, then XSX is in big trouble.

Add to that if we to believe Cerny that developers don't need to do much on ps5 other than assigning IDs to the files to utilize ssd speed, then XSX is in big trouble.

Why would that mean XSX is in big trouble? I’m sure Microsoft APIs are just as straight-forward to implement. There’s only so much complexity to loading data from an SSD into RAM.
Sony have gone to lengths to increase speed and reduce latency by eliminating bottlenecks. The ID and memory mapping system Cerny was talking about was just the API hiding the complexity behind the PS5’s IO pipeline. His point was that although lots of things have been done to speed things up and do away with the traditional, it’s still easy to use. I don’t see how that really affects what Microsoft is doing with XSX? It will be slower in IO but I doubt it will be more difficult to program for.

Ascend

I doubt it will be on the level of the PS3 difficulty vs the ease of the X360. The XSX will do fine. We might possibly be getting more buggy multiplatform games on the XSX if they choose the PS5 as the lead platform and port things afterwards to the XSX without much afterthought. The opposite would likely be much easier.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Man, Let's rewind a little. The Xbox Gameplay Event was a missed opportunity to have MASSIVE pages of discussions and speculations. The biggest differences between XSX and PS5:

- XSX is tied to Xbox One for at least 1-2 year, then tied to weaker PC's for its eternity.
- PS5 will try its best to lure as much gamers as possible by providing next-gen only games that can't be found elsewhere.

Most gamers are excited about PS5 because it has a larger player base and it's the only platform to bring next gen experiences, not hindered by PC's, current gen, or potentially Lockhart. Everybody is going crazy to see how 1st party games will look like. Even if you prefer Xbox, it's more than likely you'll get a PS5 down the line if the games look too good to be ignored.

The biggest hitter to the Xbox sales is merging with PC gamers that already have insane attachment to Steam. I would expect the sales of X1X would be A LOT higher than now, and we all know that Xbox already has very little attractive games but Forza Horizon games around here are a console seller. Same goes to Zelda on the Switch, I might buy the Switch just to play Zelda.

Lockhart, XB1, and PC attachment is really fading the vibrant colors of the XSX.

Last edited:
I’m actually glad how it’s turned out. If XSX was even slightly lower in GPU, or even just the same, it would have been as “no brainer” as last time, and we’d potentially lose a great competitor with Microsoft likely focussing on Stadia and Amazon gaming competition instead.

Everyone has their preference and bias (and that’s fine if you’re not a politician about it) and I’ll be buying a PS5 day one as it excites me more at the moment, but I also genuinely really hope Xbox does well this time around. I want the next generation to end where most people ended up with both, like the 360/PS3 days, and Microsoft stays in the home console market, and stay in the arms race with Sony so that we keep getting powerful bits of kit sold at loss.
I’ll be getting a PS5 first, but I’ll be getting an XSX once the balance can take another hit.

The real enemy for me is cloud gaming with shit input lag.

Why do we have so many twiter posts from nobodies being shown on this thread?
Because we have alot of members on this forum are either idiots or trolls or both.

These Twitter nobodies are given exposure on this forum by clown members who think they are have legitimate information. Heck I could post to twitter right now and claim to know the PS5 launch lineup and it will get quoted here within the day.
All this does is serve to spread false information. I mean we even have TimDog tweets being quoted in this very thread. Let that sink in.

I'm not saying Era is the holy grail of gaming forums but one has to appreciate they have standards in place when trying to quote certain Twitter users or media outlets that are known for spreading bad information.

If we have standards to prevent every tom dick and Harry's twitter posts being quoted here then we are on the right track to limit the avalanche of shit hitting the threads.

EDIT: will probably get a warning for this post but dont really give a shit. If half of the forum actually took the time to research information before just hitting post, it would lead to less rubbish in these threads.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Because we have alot of members on this forum are either idiots or trolls or both.

These Twitter nobodies are given exposure on this forum by clown members who think they are have legitimate information. Heck I could post to twitter right now and claim to know the PS5 launch lineup and it will get quoted here within the day.
All this does is serve to spread false information. I mean we even have TimDog tweets being quoted in this very thread. Let that sink in.

I'm not saying Era is the holy grail of gaming forums but one has to appreciate they have standards in place when trying to quote certain Twitter users or media outlets that are known for spreading bad information.

If we have standards to prevent every tom dick and Harry's twitter posts being quoted here then we are on the right track to limit the avalanche of shit hitting the threads.

Eh, I hear you and see your point, but I prefer people being free to post whatever they will (as long as it's not illegal) and then we are free to engage or not, ignore or comment, etc. Like with rumors or insider information as well. I'd rather see it than have it be hidden because some subjective rule set told me I couldn't. I think it's better that way. Just my opinion though.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
you guys know that Sony has more than a PS5 reveal or games reveal or even specs reveal .. right ?

well .. don't forget Software FEATURES regarding :

UI
Download methods
Voice Command
Party
Standby mode ( Enhanced or Optimized hee hee )
and so many we don't know

I'm more interested in these more than a PS5 reveal

you guys know that Sony has more than a PS5 reveal or games reveal or even specs reveal .. right ?

UI
Download methods
Voice Command
Party
Standby mode ( Enhanced or
Optimized hee hee )

The SSD and how well it will aid in system UI performance and what other features will be possi le because of it is my main point if interest in PS5.

Mr Moose

In just a few months, these next gen beasts will be released and we'll all be smiling with tears in our eyes, and some lotion.

On another note, Xbox Series X has up to 5 suspended games and PS5 up to 4, right? Or did I imagine that stuff when I was drunk (which is often).

Sinthor

Gold Member

UI
Download methods
Voice Command
Party
Standby mode ( Enhanced or Optimized hee hee )

Good point. I for one am very interested in knowing if the ability to just install the multi-player component of a game or single player. Also how the UI will look and respond. The bit about switching between multiple games doesn't at least SEEM like a big deal to me. I'm fine with quitting a game to load another, but I dunno... sometimes things turn out to be way more useful than you think they will be. The load time thing is obviously HUGE.

The 3D sound is also interesting to me, especially with headsets. I can't think of anything with parties that I'd like to see but again may well be a case of not knowing what you want till they give it to you. :) If and how haptics will actually be utilized by developers is another thing.

Bottom line, there's a TON that I want to know about the system in total. So I need a reveal that shows those things. Just...I expect us to get more info and more games before they reveal all of that. Hopefully I'm wrong. Hell, I want to see more about those things with the XSX as well. Especially with UI and systems like that, I like to see how things advance. I remember the PS4 being the first time I was actually impressed with the speed of a UI or system. It was very fast for the time. I expect to be fully blow away by the speed and how the UI works on both the XSX and PS5 this time. I don't want to be disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom