• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr guildo

Some half ass statement does nothing 24 hours later the damage was done. It was brilliant by Sony to lock up that demo and dreamcast the series x basically. He can say all wants with out proof no gives a crap. Wait till next year lol after Sony has it locked up. They were winning no matter what. But damn it was geniuses to use that demo and mouth piece to take a sledgehammer to the series x and PC. You all witnessed history that day that was the E3 YouTube of sharing a game friend in 2013 that won a generation moment. Well played and executed.

This is pretty much this ! I keep saying this UE5 tech demo is the "Yoshida & AdamBoile's used game video moment" for that gen, as you are suggesting too.
People still think a console gen is won one or two years later the launch. The truth is a gen is won during the last few month before console's releases.
Nowaday, the tflops talks are completely gone to make place to the SSD talks. All the press are praising the benefit of the PS5's SSD. It's an upside/down situation.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
But why do you make the assumption that the demo pushed the PS5 to it's limits? We don't know if that demo would actually need the full 8-9 GB/s compressed speed. Maybe it only used 4? Who knows? Because what we also don't know is that let's say the SSD is able to push 9GB/s of compressed assets constantly. Is it realistic that the GPU is able to render all of this constantly?
So they created an engine ultra scalable and have collaborated with sony, stated that sony made breakthrough allowing this demo to be possible, said that they pusshed more geometry and asset than what Ram could handle. BUT it wasn't taking advantages of the insane IO of the ps5 ?

So what are your arguments beside moving goalpoasts all over the place ?
As of now this demo runs only on a ps5 and has been confirmed by tim sweeney as not possible on other platform at this scale.

Yet you chose the words of a journalist over the ceo of the company creating the engine.You are either very obtuse or incredibly dense.Being biased can't get you that blind there's need to be a biological flaw there.
Just look at what has been said by people in the know like tim sweeney, cerny, and most dev they haven't all been paid by sony (except cerny obviously).

So for once just shut it and let's move on to something else talk about Xbox games or speculate about what they may achieve on their own but stop trying to act like it will replicate 1 to 1 what was shown everybody told you it can't.

TBiddy

It's funny how on one side, people are claiming Sony obviously didn't pay Epic in any way, what so ever, since there was no PS5 logo anywhere to be seen... and on the other side, people are claiming that this was a genious move by Sony and are comparing it to the "Used games" moment from E3.

geordiemp

Some half ass statement does nothing 24 hours later the damage was done. It was brilliant by Sony to lock up that demo and dreamcast the series x basically. He can say all wants with out proof no gives a crap. Wait till next year lol after Sony has it locked up. They were winning no matter what. But damn it was geniuses to use that demo and mouth piece to take a sledgehammer to the series x and PC. You all witnessed history that day that was the E3 YouTube of sharing a game friend in 2013 that won a generation moment. Well played and executed.

Not really, all MS has to do is show a game loading in half a second, job done. They should do it next week.

I am sure they know this, its obvious to a backward pigmy. IF MS dont show mega fast loading, then why ? MS can use any demo they want, any game, does not matter which, just show it loading fast as shit and no 5 seconds resume is slow.

It's funny how on one side, people are claiming Sony obviously didn't pay Epic in any way, what so ever, since there was no PS5 logo anywhere to be seen... and on the other side, people are claiming that this was a genious move by Sony and are comparing it to the "Used games" moment from E3.

Yup, agree this demo has little to do with Sony marketing at all.

The real genius was to have the forsight and strength to design a console 3 years ago in concept with mega fast I/O in mind in readiness for next gen.

Hats off that takes balls, easy and much safer to just make a bigger GPU for joe public who have been accustomed to just looking at 1 number, Terrafloppies.

Imagine explaining those engineering choices to business managers at Sony...

Last edited:
I seriously want to end this UE5 conversation, if it can run in series X or not, so please, every fan, hear me out. There are two possibles scenarios, considering what Tim, developers, and Engines developers have said about the importance of the SSD and the I/O in order to stream these high-quality assets (textures, models, audio, etc).

A) The Xbox solution is good enough, meaning the current I/O architecture of the Xbox is good enough to run this demo and it has all the I/O requirements to load the assets in 8K just as fast as the PS5. NOW, this would mean that the PS5 architecture, the raw speed advantage, the priority levels, the Kraken decompression hardware, the Coherency engine, all that is unnecessary for this demo, meaning, IF THIS THEORY IS CORRECT, PS5 I/O architecture is a complete waste of money and its overkill.

B) Unreal Engine 5 just like any other engine can scale depending on the hardware is running, meaning if it can do something with 5gb raw speed / it can do other stuff with 2.4, just not as good, but again, NOT BAD, we are talking about a good SSD with a good architecture too. This would mean that any stuff they are doing with the SSD like streaming 8k assets, or big models with millions of triangles will perform better on the better hardware to do so. IF this theory, which is more realistic, is true, that will mean, that the Series X will be able to run this demo, but instead of using 8K textures, maybe will use 4K textures, instead of using models with 10m triangles it will use models with 5millions triangles, so it can compensate the difference in streaming speed of its I/O architecture using "low" quality assets to reduce the amount of data it has to stream.

Now, pick your theory, the one with PS5 I/O being overkill and series X being the perfect fit or the one where the engine scales to the potential available in each console.
Nothing wrong about the UE5 discussion.

But the things start being toxic when people introduce here fake news/misinformation.

Tell me that you think that this UE5/PS5 demo could run as good or even better on the Series X and I will respect your opinion.

2. Tell me that your interpretacion of Sweeney's tweet is that the Series X can run the UE5/PS5 demo as good as the PS5 and I will give you a "lol" reaction because I will know you are trolling.

3. Dont tell me what Sweeney did not say and post it here as a matter of fact. This is BS.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think you misunderstood, because I didn't want to minimize the potential of PS5 SSD.

I'm wondering if the speed can be used at its fullest, because this would mean you need a lot more data to stream. You need huge assets that you want to show. So this not only means that someone needs to create this in more detail, it also means that games will be larger, right? I'm eager to learn and find out once the games release if we're really going to get much more beautiful and rich world's thanks to this SSD.

Faster means faster.

Faster doesn’t mean the PS5 is faster than the XSX at dealing with 9GB of data but only just as fast at dealing 4.8GB or 2.4GB of data. This matters because we’re talking about frames in games, devs think of time in ms.

And there’s no magic number here. That’s the kind baloney the Xbox fanboys at IGN were spreading last gen about 720p vs 1080p. Otherwise MS should've gone with a SATA 3 500 MB/s and save a ton of money. They didn't.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
At a base level, the demo hasn't been compiled for XsX so it won't run on an XsX. End of discussion really.

The argument is purely like seeing a trailer running at Super Ultra on a PC and saying ti will run on the PS4. Yes, it will run and use all the same tech like UE4, Havok etc. but the LoD might not be as good, fidelity might not be as high. There are many variables, just leave it at that.

ANIMAL1975

I seriously want to end this UE5 conversation, if it can run in series X or not, so please, every fan, hear me out. There are two possibles scenarios, considering what Tim, developers, and Engines developers have said about the importance of the SSD and the I/O in order to stream these high-quality assets (textures, models, audio, etc).

A) The Xbox solution is good enough, meaning the current I/O architecture of the Xbox is good enough to run this demo and it has all the I/O requirements to load the assets in 8K just as fast as the PS5. NOW, this would mean that the PS5 architecture, the raw speed advantage, the priority levels, the Kraken decompression hardware, the Coherency engine, all that is unnecessary for this demo, meaning, IF THIS THEORY IS CORRECT, PS5 I/O architecture is a complete waste of money and its overkill.

B) Unreal Engine 5 just like any other engine can scale depending on the hardware is running, meaning if it can do something with 5gb raw speed / it can do other stuff with 2.4, just not as good, but again, NOT BAD, we are talking about a good SSD with a good architecture too. This would mean that any stuff they are doing with the SSD like streaming 8k assets, or big models with millions of triangles will perform better on the better hardware to do so. IF this theory, which is more realistic, is true, that will mean, that the Series X will be able to run this demo, but instead of using 8K textures, maybe will use 4K textures, instead of using models with 10m triangles it will use models with 5millions triangles, so it can compensate the difference in streaming speed of its I/O architecture using "low" quality assets to reduce the amount of data it has to stream.

Now, pick your theory, the one with PS5 I/O being overkill and series X being the perfect fit or the one where the engine scales to the potential available in each console.
There is no need to pick a theory _ first quotes from Tims IGN interview and his tweets, both posted here in the thread several times day one, where clearly stating that the demo (not the engine or nanite or lumen) wouldn't be possible on the same scale without ps5 i/o breakthroughs! _ does it have to be posted yet again?!!

Everithing after that has been damage control _ misinterpretations and misinformation of further statements about the engine itself, and not the tech demo.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Not really, all MS has to do is show a game loading in half a second, job done. They should do it next week.

I am sure they know this, its obvious to a backward pigmy. IF MS dont show mega fast loading, then why ?

Yup, agree this demo has little to do with Sony marketing at all.

The real genius was to have the forsight and strength design a console 3 years ago in concept with mega fast I/O in mind in readiness for next gen.

Hats off that takes balls, easy and much safer to just make a bigger GPU for joe public. Imagine explaining those engineering choices to business managers at Sony...
No one outside warrior cares about 5 seconds vs 1 second loading times coming from minutes when online infrastructure will be the limiting factor for most popular games. What they care about is the series x running that demo or another unreal 5 demo since their favorite games use the engine. Guess what wait till next year brilliant. So the narrative in casual land is only PS5 can run unreal 5 that is next level marketing and strategy. Until they see proof it doesn't mean crap to a casual. Loading times lol. People will be happy it will be limited by internet infrastructure in their call if duty or other online game.

Last edited:

jose4gg

There is no need to pick a theory _ first quotes from Tims IGN interview and his tweets, both posted here in the thread several times day one, where clearly stating that the demo (not the engine or nanite or lumen) wouldn't be possible on the same scale without ps5 i/o breakthroughs! _ does it have to be posted yet again?!!

Everithing after that has been damage control _ misinterpretations and misinformation of further statements about the engine itself, and not the tech demo.

I know, and I agree with you, the whole point of my post is that even without the IGN interview or even if you are the most skeptical person in the world that cannot trust the CEO of the company, you should be able to put the things you have in front of you and realized that there is a reason why a lot of people are saying this demo is only possible in PS5.

geordiemp

I didn't know this, where and when did he say this?

He just said no when asked, he enjoys trolling fanboys it was funny.

lkXkX0f.png

jose4gg

The things start being toxic when people introduce here fake news.

Tell me that you think that this UE5/PS5 demo could run as good or even better on the Series X and I will respect your opinion. Could even be true!

2. Tell me that your interpretacion of Sweeney's tweet is that the Series X can run the UE5/PS5 demo as good as the PS5 and I will give you a "lol" reaction because I will know you are trolling.

3. Dont tell me what Sweeney did not say and post it here as a matter of fact. This is BS.

1) No, I do not think they can archive the 8K textures in their machine with their I/O architecture. With lower-quality assets I think they can. But it won't be as good as what we saw.

2) No, I think he knows the UE5 scales just like any other engine. It will work in series X according to its potential.

3) Again, SRY if I didn't communicate myself better, but what I was trying to say is that there are only two possible scenarios and one is very UNREALISTIC where Series X handles everything like PS5, and the other one is the most realistic having the info we have and what everyone is saying, for God Sake we have the CEO answering every tweet of fanboys, I believe this is only possible in the ps5 I/O architecture.

geordiemp

No one outside warrior cares about 5 seconds vs 1 second loading times coming from minutes when online infrastructure will be the limiting factor for most popular games. What they care about is the series x running that demo or another unreal 5 demo since their favorite games use the engine. Guess what wait till next year brilliant. So the narrative in casual land is only PS5 can run unreal 5 that is next level marketing and strategy. Until they see proof it doesn't mean crap to a casual. Loading times lol. People be happy it will be limited by internet infrastructure in their call if duty or other online game.

Your knowledge of how stuff works is quite amusing if you think 5 vs 1 second is about loading. Casual land comments is strange is that about you or me or someone else ?

Please read up on semiconductor chips and computer graphics and how stuff works, loading speed shows some of the capability for real time high quality asset streaming, so yes 5 vs 1 is an indicator.

I am no dev but work in semiconductor, I am not a casual.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Your knowledge of how stuff works is quite amusing if you think 5 vs 1 second is about loading. Casual land comments is strange is that about you or me or someone else ?

Please read up on semiconductor chips and computer graphics and how stuff works, loading speed shows some of the capability for real time high quality asset streaming, so yes 5 vs 1 is an indicator.

I am no dev but work in semiconductor, I am not a casual.
To be honest, even "casuals" like me find it fascinating.
I remember watching the Cerny talk as it was live, came back to these threads and thought many posters had watched a completely different video to me.

Corndog

Banned

And nowhere does that say it can’t be done on series x. Just because it required breakthroughs that Sony developed does not mean series x does not have breakthroughs that would enable it to run as well. I could be wrong. But don’t state things that are not there.

Edit : Something to consider. What if you took ps5 and raised the ssd and supporting hardware to 8 GB per second. Would that console run the demo better with higher quality assets?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

What a masterful way to torpedo one of your biggest customers - "by the way Phil - we've been covertly working with your direct competitor for the past 5 years to give them every advantage over your product when using our development solution"

To the surprise of no one.

Tim's hatred for MS is well storied by now - well played indeed.

C'mon, keep it going till it burns, 1, 2, 3...

stretchingtest.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member

The things start being toxic when people introduce here fake news/misinformation.

Tell me that you think that this UE5/PS5 demo could run as good or even better on the Series X and I will respect your opinion.

You mean a demo designed to run and take advantage of one console would run better on it? Wow what a discovery.

Did he say UE5 runs better in PS5? No. It’s about that particular demo. Here is a fact for you. A demo on UE5 designed solely to take advantage of XSX power is going to run better on XSX.

pawel86ck

Banned
None of those games uses 12 GB of RAM. You also forgot about writing the previous state.
These were Xbox One X games that are using 12 GB in totall. 9.5 GB for game data alone and I also assume 2.5 GB for system data that also must be loaded as it was before exiting the game. It only took 5 seconds for 12 GB RAM to fill, therefore there are no I/O bottlenecks assuming 2.4 GB/s SSD RAW transfer.

Last edited:
There is no such quote in that article.

It's there to some degree. But I still don't believe that it's not possible. Battlefield used Quixel Megascans and looks fantastic on PC and the consoles. Not to mention Death Stranding. There is a lot of detail in the demo, but to think Sony and Microsoft won't be head to head in visuals would be naïve.
"This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
There is no such quote in that article.
why all xbox fans has selective reading and quoting? and lies?

in the article - "“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.

Last edited:

geordiemp

why all xbox fans has selective reading and quoting? and lies?

in the article - "“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.

AddRdHr.jpg

Gamernyc78

Banned
No one outside warrior cares about 5 seconds vs 1 second loading times coming from minutes when online infrastructure will be the limiting factor for most popular games. What they care about is the series x running that demo or another unreal 5 demo since their favorite games use the engine. Guess what wait till next year brilliant. So the narrative in casual land is only PS5 can run unreal 5 that is next level marketing and strategy. Until they see proof it doesn't mean crap to a casual. Loading times lol. People will be happy it will be limited by internet infrastructure in their call if duty or other online game.

Hardly anyone or none at all have said tht unreal 5 won't work elsewhere. It is Middleware and an engine that will be prominent on every console. Stop spinning the narrative when you know what ppl are saying, I've actually restated it several times in this forum.

But for the billionth time ppl are saying tht the demo will run elsewhere just not with the same fidelity due to ps5's way stronger/faster ssd solution over every other console. The demo has been said to be using ps5 ssd to its advantage and that demo wouldn't be the same or perform elsewhere to tht fidelity in geometry and other things.

So let's stop the bs, lies and twisting the narrative.

Last edited:
1) No, I do not think they can archive the 8K textures in their machine with their I/O architecture. With lower-quality assets I think they can. But it won't be as good as what we saw.

2) No, I think he knows the UE5 scales just like any other engine. It will work in series X according to its potential.

3) Again, SRY if I didn't communicate myself better, but what I was trying to say is that there are only two possible scenarios and one is very UNREALISTIC where Series X handles everything like PS5, and the other one is the most realistic having the info we have and what everyone is saying, for God Sake we have the CEO answering every tweet of fanboys, I believe this is only possible in the ps5 I/O architecture.
Man, I wasnt asking you! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It was totally rhetorical. I agreed with your post.

Last edited:

xacto

Oh, man the damage control. Like half of the podcast they were saying no third party developer would take advantage of the PS5's SSD becuase the other systems wouldn't be able to run it. But that's not all! my favourite part was when they were saying not even Sony would take advantage of it becuase PlayStation games will also be released on PC with mechanical hard drives so they need to make sure the games can also run on lower speed systems. Oh, and Xbox software can make Series X I/O as efficient as the one in PS5. And also... 100 GB OF IN GAME ASSETS!
This is so funny to me because they are the first ones to mock people when someone says PS5's GPU will be nearly as efficient as the Series X but when there is something twice as faster/powerful on their hated platform they say the exact same thing. RDX Podcast is the best comedy podcast out there, 100% recommended :messenger_ok:

Mechanical HDD?! So is that the new story these poor lost souls are running around with? I remember (before Sony implemented their SSD in PS5) that all the cool PC master race kids were "SSD this, SSD that, we're the coolest on the block, look at you console peasants with your slow HDD's, even Sony admitted it sucks, cause you have tutorials on their blog page on how to change it, hurr durr."

Now that Sony blew everyone and their mothers' socks off with their SSD, and the "cool kids" realize that their praised SSD's are actually not much to write home about, we're back to the narrative where developers are so worried about HDD's that they're writing their code to take advantage of those?

GneoJG7.png

ToadMan

What a masterful way to torpedo one of your biggest customers - "by the way Phil - we've been covertly working with your direct competitor for the past 5 years to give them every advantage over your product when using our development solution"

To the surprise of no one.

Tim's hatred for MS is well storied by now - well played indeed.

Putting aside the accuracy or not of your salt-filled claim....

If Sweeney hates MS now, that's based on working with them on a fair few games for the last 15 years at least. Perhaps he has good reasons to dis-prefer their solution for personal or technical reasons or indeed both.

You mean a demo designed to run and take advantage of one console would run better on it? Wow what a discovery.

Did he say UE5 runs better in PS5? No. It’s about that particular demo. Here is a fact for you. A demo on UE5 designed solely to take advantage of XSX power is going to run better on XSX.
Excuse me? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You dont need to create any strawman to quote me. I have no idea about what you are talking about, man, I did not express my personal opinion yet lol.

xacto

It doesn’t matter because they chose the PS5 to show their engine demo because they made a marketing deal. Some people here acting like Epic was going around trying consoles and was so impressed by the PS5 SSD speed that they chose to make their engine demo for it lol. That’s not how business works.

This is Epic. This is UE. The engine is going to run not only on next-gen consoles but on EVERYTHING.

EVERYTHING?

Cool story.

ToadMan

It doesn’t matter because they chose the PS5 to show their engine demo because they made a marketing deal. Some people here acting like Epic was going around trying consoles and was so impressed by the PS5 SSD speed that they chose to make their engine demo for it lol. That’s not how business works.

This is Epic. This is UE. The engine is going to run not only on next-gen consoles but on EVERYTHING.

Your statements contradict each other ...

In future UE5 will run on everything - true and probably it runs on a lot of stuff now. But right now it runs best on PS5 - that's what they demo'd.

Sony didn't pay a cent - they simply wouldn't need to because Epic build these demos for their own marketing. If you have evidence of Sony paying for play, then present it.

There's no way a company pays another company to show off their hardware and then doesn't take steps to present that in a way that suits them. Epic did this off their own back with not a single logo or Sony comment anywhere.

What else could they do? MS are still busy writing the firmware and software so that their SSD and non-unified memory will squeeze in enough data to show something other than minecraft. Epic would be crazy to to try and build a demo on the basis of the shifting sand in the xsex world right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom