• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr guildo

And Sony fans are refusing to look at the wording. This statement in no way says the demo can’t run on series x.

If it is this simple why hasn’t epic simply said this demo can’t run on series x?

Epic can't say that since one of the strongest advantage of their engine is its scalability, so what Epic already explained is that demo could run even on a mobile phone, but it would be scaled down to fit the hardware's capabilities in terms of IO settings, etc ala Youtube. Same thing would happen on Xbox Series X since the demo was meant for IO complex and SSD's velocity of the PS5 which are superior to what Xbox SeriesX offers.
Now if Epic made this demo based on Xbox Series X's advantages, PS5 wouldn't probably reproduce 1:1 the demo, too.
It's not that hard to understand finally.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony plz show box

And bobs!
iu

ToadMan

Am I the only one more curious about the SEGA reveal now? PS5 is a given at this point.
I'm betting on a partnership between SEGA x Sony or SEGA x MS.
Sony SEGA Sammy has a nice ring to it though. LOL

And you think a strategic decision like this would be announced in a famitsu column? A column which is referred to as being about tech?

No its not gonna be anything of that scale. The actual thread about it has better theories.

ToadMan

And Sony fans are refusing to look at the wording. This statement in no way says the demo can’t run on series x.

If it is this simple why hasn’t epic simply said this demo can’t run on series x?

The wording also doesnt say the Switch can't run the demo - appropriately scaled to its hardware capability.

Epic are making a multiplat engine - it will run on the platforms they support. But not all platforms are built with equal specifications.

Faithless83

Banned
And you think a strategic decision like this would be announced in a famitsu column? A column which is referred to as being about tech?

No its not gonna be anything of that scale. The actual thread about it has better theories.
The date, though. SEGA anniversary is June 3rd and they are hyping it for a while.
Announce it at Sony's event and Famitsu scoop a day later. Sounds plausible.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was going to do another amateur speculation before procrastination took over.

People are mistaking Cerny's word. He clearly says "when triangles are small it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work". We should remember, Road to PS5 and UE5 demo were meant to be shown together. So, it could mean the small triangles in UE5 would be harder to fill with 48 CUs of lower frequency.

Now to the second part of my speculation,

This dude is using a 8700k, 64GB RAM and 2080Super. For drawing all 12million tris, he is getting 18FPS, although it is in editor mode. He blames it on not getting to use Mesh Shaders that next-gen consoles have.

From the UE5 demo we know the PS5 is drawing 20million tris, at 30FPS locked. Is this an outright example of what next-gen GPUs do, compared to what is available right now? 12mil(18FPS) vs 20 mil(30FPS) tris drawn ?

1yqogU5.jpg

If this is Nanite allowing textures to be drawn at 20 million tris, how much do next gen consoles draw ?

As for the main question, PS5 vs. XSX drawn tris, who wins ? Keep in mind 52CUs vs 36CUs. And what Cerny said above, for small tris he prefers faster GPUs.

I'm not sure how this post went unnoitced. What a wonderful analysis and observation, mate! And yes, that high end PC with 2080Super was struggling with only 12 million polygons, and making only 18fps in zero movements! Yet PS5 draws 67% more polygons with around 122% better FPS, accumulating to about 189% performance advantage for PS5 vs 2080 Super!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I never said it wasn't possible on series X just scaled down feel free to check my previous posts but you kinda wanted to hear someone saying it wasn't possible on series X I guess.
I always said it would probably had to be scaled back since it was data heavy.
Just to add to the discussion I'm not a fan of either I do like sony's output more than xbox's but I have absolutely no problem saying that series X has an 18% more powerful gpu just as the ps5 has a ssd twice as fast.
Most people here are not arguing it is not possible on series X just not possible "at this scale" which is an important part of the statement.It probably need to be scaled back an guess what that's what Tim Sweeney said.
Beside when designing an engine like unreal5 which keyword is scalability a demo not possible on another hardware would be stupid.

I'm not sure how this post went unnoitced. What a wonderful analysis and observation, mate! And yes, that high end PC with 2080Super was struggling with only 12 million polygons, and making only 18fps in zero movements! Yet PS5 draws 67% more polygons with around 122% better FPS, accumulating to about 189% performance advantage for PS5 vs 2080 Super!

He’s using Unreal 4 engine without Nanite. He’s showing how much data/triangles that Nanite strips out. This isn’t a comparison of GPUs. Nanite eats up these kinds of assets but then only spits out enough triangles to maintain detail per pixel.
He was showing how bad the game would run without Nanite, essentially.

Neo Blaster

Ya. Seems to me like they've gotta do something about TLOU2 and GOT - those 2 will get crushed under foot if Sony can't find a way to fit them into the PS5 marketing. Certainly going for a buy now and get free on new console would help.

Unfortunately the delay to TLOU2 has pushed it into the jaws of the PS5 release hype.
I think those games are safe, PS5 full marketing to the masses will probably begin after GoT release in August, when they have a scheduled SoP according to Jeff. I bet we'll know the form factor, price and release date there.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
He’s using Unreal 4 engine without Nanite. He’s showing how much data/triangles that Nanite strips out. This isn’t a comparison of GPUs. Nanite eats up these kinds of assets but then only spits out enough triangles to maintain detail per pixel.
He was showing how bad the game would run without Nanite, essentially.
Nanite seems like an awesome feature and will probably help pushing the visuals even on average computers.I hope there will be so modders or an epic tool to make older games run in Unreal 5.

stetiger

I rarely post here but you two are missing a huge point. The amount of triangle a gpu can draw is not tied to CUs at all. They are tied to the front end / geometry processor for amd. Vaztu Vaztu the ps5 has a 40% advantage on triangle count rendering on the xbox one x. It also has the advantage on a 2080 super. So unreal engine v games using nanite will have better geometry on ps5. However, the xbox has better shaders so you can expect better special effects, and more accurate colors compared to real life

edit: this is to say that the reason is not mesh shaders but really clock speed. this demo will look different on xbox

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I rarely post here but you two are missing a huge point. The amount of triangle a gpu can draw is not tied to CUs at all. They are tied to the front end / geometry processor for amd. Vaztu Vaztu the ps5 has a 40% advantage on triangle count rendering on the xbox one x. It also has the advantage on a 2080 super. So unreal engine v games using nanite will have better geometry on ps5. However, the xbox has better shaders so you can expect better special effects, and more accurate colors compared to real life

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, very interesting details. It's flipping my amateur knowledge about GPU's upside down, but I'll digest it eventually. 🙌 :messenger_winking_tongue:

Ptarmiganx2

This is pretty much this ! I keep saying this UE5 tech demo is the "Yoshida & AdamBoile's used game video moment" for that gen, as you are suggesting too.
People still think a console gen is won one or two years later the launch. The truth is a gen is won during the last few month before console's releases.
Nowaday, the tflops talks are completely gone to make place to the SSD talks. All the press are praising the benefit of the PS5's SSD. It's an upside/down situation.
And by downside you mean addressing and likely eliminating the biggest limitation of modern gaming hardware according to numerous developers? We reached the point of diminishing returns in the tflop war 6 years ago. We need magnification to see the difference with much larger gaps than exist between the XSX and PS5. What's more likely going forward...Hardware manufactures copy Sony's I/O solution or they keep pushing the TF narrative and ever expanding pools of ram? Cerny was correct in his vision of the future of gaming, we are starting to see that now...once we can play it ourselves the debate will be over.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Like i was saying, all the early mind share and momentum Microsoft built up seems to be gone now. The "xbox comeback" narrative could kind of exist in a vacuum where sony was silent for 2 years, even then it seemed like only true believers and paid shills could believe it. There for sure was a big shift in momentum and perception when that dud of an inside xbox happened and then the Unreal 5 on ps5 demonstration happened. Since then, it seems like Xbox has, at best, been an after thought. Once Sony starts showing off next gen games, exclusive ones at that, i really dont see how Microsoft can mount this come back. Unless of course sonys shows is a PS3/xbox one level of disaster.

geordiemp

Of course it will, a developer loaded cave the geometry on his 2080ti rig and at that detail in editor mode dropped down to 18 FPS. Its in video below

Anyone can download and play with it, now and it will run.....

Of course his system did not have the Ps5 power....:messenger_sunglasses:

I enjoyed that tease

Last edited:
Of course it will, a developer loaded cave the geometry on his 2080ti rig and at that detail in editor mode dropped down to 18 FPS. Its in video below

Anyone can download and play with it, now and it will run.....

Of course his system did not have the Ps5 power....:messenger_sunglasses:

I enjoyed that tease

Since UE5 isn't even available, he must have opened it in UE4.25. Which, if it doesn't have the proper SDK library, wont fair well in terms of performance. That had about as much to do with having an SSD as it did with him having a banana in his hand while opening it.

UE5 carries Nanite which is geometry virtualization that is only available in UE5.

Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see. Nanite virtualized geometry means that film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine—anything from ZBrush sculpts to photogrammetry scans to CAD data—and it just works. Nanite geometry is streamed and scaled in real time so there are no more polygon count budgets, polygon memory budgets, or draw count budgets; there is no need to bake details to normal maps or manually author LODs; and there is no loss in quality.

Last edited:
It's a nice touch and could help PS5's True 3D Audio implementation, and what @Audiophile mentioned that you only need 2.0 Channel to take advantage of PS5's ambitious HRTF 3D audio is quite intriguing. It fully explains Mark Cerny saying great audio for everyone! What a genius. By the way, you better check Xperia 1 mark II reviews, I'm getting one as soon as possible although Sony Mobile has pulled out of the Middle-east 2 years ago due to poor sales so I'll order it from the web.
Well, yeah, obviously, the very first target they're shooting for with Tempest are headphones, and most have a simple, run of the mill, 2.0 configuration. That's the thing that was absolutely the best to take from Tempest, no special requirements for hardware, they'll make it work anywhere they can. Basically they're taking the original output and downmixing it to two channels.

ToadMan

The date, though. SEGA anniversary is June 3rd and they are hyping it for a while.
Announce it at Sony's event and Famitsu scoop a day later. Sounds plausible.
I don't think it sounds plausible at all. Sony have been moving their reveal date around a lot. If they were going to announce something like this it wouldn't be related to a PS5 event.

Adam: "The UE5 demo won't run at that scale on other hardware, as it was built for PS5"

Steve: "Of course UE5 demo will run on other hardware. It's a 3rd party engine"

Adam:

MWtVClpLjDjeVE8mVXONgjMNZJ9FQicEu3tEJWBsskLa9mhOBZUgglAGwVtcAgQfZhXT1wpylw-oRRInnv91AlB08fBhZNs

ToadMan

GoT, I definitely would get buried under the reveal, so I agree on that part. But I think it won't matter overall for TLOU2. I think the minds have been made up by the people who wanted the game. It will still sell regardless. The higher editions of the game are currently sold out in terms of pre-orders most places.

Doesn't matter for TLOU2. Only thing that can damage it are bad reviews and word of mouth.

Yes you guys are probably right - I guess I'm just projecting my own lack of interest for TLOU2 onto others.

geordiemp

Since UE5 isn't even available, he must have opened it in UE4.25. Which, if it doesn't have the proper SDK library, wont fair well in terms of performance. That had about as much to do with having an SSD as it did with him having a banana in his hand while opening it.

UE5 carries Nanite which is geometry virtualization that is only available in UE5.

Just having some fun, yes its UE4 and yes its trying to draw everything lol :messenger_sunglasses:

I did put a tease spoiler in, and did say the CAVE GEOMETRY

No fun allowed eh ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom