• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
gDDE3WV.png
geforce-rtx-2080-gallery-b.jpg

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What wins is what looks the best quality, and as of today the UE5 demo beats everything hands down, easily, at 1440p, nothing comes even close.

The quality is so high you have to be told its 1440p, as it cannot be measued by counting pixels (DF). So the new meta is high quality assets and streaming huge assets from SSD.

Terrafloppies got boring a month ago....

Yes I saw that but I want to see more, I want to see a real game.

THE:MILKMAN

I honestly do not want to derail this thread into a MS/Sony behind the scenes cat fighting.

I would rather watch people talk about what they think they are going to see come Thursday :)

I'll be happy with:

GT7
A third-person action adventure game (Housemarques AAA game?)
A football/soccer game with photorealism/animation to die for and old school 16-bit ISS Pro gameplay
A surprise and didn't see coming game
The console design

Uzupedro

I'm going to be the boring guy now, but I think Ryan's line ''Its time to give fans something that can be only enjoyed on a PS5'' is a bit hasty, if there is a SINGLE pixel in the presentation that can be run on a PS4, people will go with rocks and sticks to attack him , and I won't even judge lol.
It is obvious that I hope it is true, and I think it will be, but this phrase has to be proven and on a level that will blow our minds.

dr guildo

Looks like GGs next showpiece might very well be at the event. I can't even imagine what they have been up to, Horizon ZD was a technical showcase in itself, but the same engine was worked upon and reached greater heights in Death Stranding. Can you imagine what the original creators of that engine would've been up to? I mean just look at this Decima black magic.

SstrP3r.gif

odfO3v1.gif

Will be hard to contain the hype in this coming week, phew!

Yep, HZD's random npc :
34530802921_bded7c8c04_b.jpg

33780441571_5f05b98529_b.jpg

33066738274_a5b48dac89_b.jpg

33963485461_22083bcfc5_b.jpg

34256953340_ceb5b59dfa_b.jpg

Machines :
34541734656_0eafd6a321_b.jpg

34417290112_3e57773a61_b.jpg

Trees & forest:
33094959730_6b21c54d28_b.jpg

32664266703_7134f59e1c_b.jpg

33478543035_632dce6878_b.jpg

Aloy :
49785764953_fd4393de9e_b.jpg

TheAssist

Regarding the variable frequencies on PS5. I have understood at differently compared to what I read from most people.

So my understanding is, that the CPU and GPU can clock themselves according to the amount of work they have to do.

So lets say the GPU needs data from the CPU (so right now it cant do anything before it gets that data), then the system can upclock (or regular clock in that case) the CPU while the GPU is clocked down a bit to save on power (heat). Then when the CPU has done its thing and send the data to the GPU the GPU will go to its maximum clock while the CPU can clock down a bit to save power (if it doesn't have any time sensitive calculation to do).

So that doesnt mean the system is slower, its just uses its maximum power when it really has to and smartly clocks down a bit when its ok to do so. The better you optimize you code the higher the utilization will be, but I think even with optimal code the CPU or GPU sometimes have to wait and it only makes sense to clock them down while they are waiting. Its easier to let them go full frequency all the time, but they would probably waste cycles doing nothing all the while consuming more power.
The CPU and GPU can do this a lot of times per second, so pretty much on a frame per frame basis.

I've read a lot of people saying its something similar to what we see on PC hardware, where the CPU or GPU get thermal throttled and clock down several hundred Mhz to cool down again (and are less powerful compared to their max clock speeds obviously). While AMD's new tech sounds more like using the power more efficiently (meaning energy consumption since the tech has been developed for mobile devices) while roughly maintaining the same amount of raw power.

Thats my layman understanding anyway. How far am I of?

ToadMan

I think it is relevant when people are saying Tf don't matter.

It’s part of the answer to a complex equation of performance and even the answer changes depending on the application.

Those who want to reduce this complexity to a single number - tflops - don’t understand the technology and what tflops is indicating.

Which is why your original question was so silly.

Vaztu

Last time we had that discusion about guy from Studio Liverpool only game credits were trustworthy. Can you guys make your mind?
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/yan-chernikov/credits/developerId,728813/

There is no YOU GUYS here. Sony fans don't have a discord to discuss the talking points each day. I am on my own here, and Sony fans can easily disagree among each other.

For me, Chris Grannell lost credibility cause he roams around Xbox-centric podcasts and isn't in game dev for more than 10 years. There is a similar guy, named Optimus Code who roams around podcasts and twitter, he hasn't worked as game dev for more than 10 years as well. Optimus' views are well-balanced and is excited for the PS5. BUT, his views aren't shared here or the media. For me, credibility plays a role and Chris doesn't have any.

If you don't find Chernikov credible so be it. He has zero interest for console warring, and I bet you haven't watched his video.

It’s a bit of a stretch to say they’re hiding that it’s white considering it’s already revealed.

This is just a moody marketing shot conveying the fact PS5 is still mysterious and coming soon.

It’s white in the video as others have already made clear. It’s just very gently edge lit in CG. It’s not recorded from the real thing.

Yea, I should not say hide. It's more of a marketing method. 'Under the curtains to be opened in June 4th'. Like this:

You see that as a black controller? I mean there's a shadow that hovers around it. It's like being in the dark and then someone eventually open a curtain.

From the Digital Foundry XSX article:

XSX has a decompression chip doing work worth of 3 Zen2 CPU cores. That 5 CPU cores figure is misleading. It uses 10% of 1 Zen2 CPU core for file IO and mapping. They reduced the work load from 2 Zen2 CPU cores down to 10% of 1 Zen2 CPU core.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It’s part of the answer to a complex equation of performance and even the answer changes depending on the application.

Those who want to reduce this complexity to a single number - tflops - don’t understand the technology and what tflops is indicating.

Which is why your original question was so silly.
Your just so arrogant
It's ok for people to compare it in a it don't matter even though slightly different but not in a it does matter.

Last edited:

Delpij

Two young relatives passed away because they wanted to pass through a flood:lollipop_crying:. If you stay home, you're safe, all the dams and canals have done a great job with the last gigantic cyclone (Mekunu) that moved all the way to the desert while still spinning! 3rd degree, the eye of the cyclone was ~110km wide and entered my city! The massive flood canals saved the city from drowning.

This one might be as much in terms of water, still not finished and it's still entering. :lollipop_thescream:

EDIT: Only 9-11 died back then, and most of them after the cyclone (forcing themselves through floods).

%D8%A8%D8%B1.jpg

879306.jpg

The army did a great job restoring roads as fast as possible on some areas and providing food and supplies for rural villages

66347-502399.jpg

DeHus0hXUAYnQe7.jpg

DeHus0jW0AAAez1.jpg

image.jpg

It turned the Empty Quarter desert into a sea!

cb6c5805-e731-42af-bccb-8c3d3ca20f04.jpg

Stay safe man! I’ve been experiencing Caribbean cyclones and floods every year until 20. And they’re getting worse because of climate change. Seen coconut trees flying from my window, winds moving trucks around, roof being ripped off, and went surfing illegally (but that’s another story).

'Its time to give fans something that can be only enjoyed on a PS5''

My prediction is that they will show some game and explain how it isn't possible on the PS4.

I'm guessing showing off flying on Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and explaining how it's only possible with the PS5s I/O system

Even with that I still believe there will be some people that will claim that it's possible on the PS4.

Neo Blaster

As much as I enjoy watching fan made boot up sequences, they don't make sense.

Sony is saying the system is "speed". Why would their bootup sequence take 5-10 seconds (some fan made stuff is closer to 15 seconds).

I suspect it will probably only do that the first time you load it, and then can be changed from the settings to literally just start up within a second of pressing the power button.
I think at the end of next gen we'll be complaining how much those pesky 2-second intros bother us.

zaitsu

Banned
My prediction is that they will show some game and explain how it isn't possible on the PS4.

I'm guessing showing off flying on Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and explaining how it's only possible with the PS5s I/O system

Even with that I still believe there will be some people that will claim that it's possible on the PS4.
I want to see big flying machine randomly catching Aloy, taking up in the sky and flying with her in claws at insane speed. Next aloy falling down through trees. Damn it, Just imaginig it makes me hard

Last edited:

geordiemp

I honestly do not want to derail this thread into a MS/Sony behind the scenes cat fighting.

I would rather watch people talk about what they think they are going to see come Thursday :)

Its quite clear Sony has had a high asset streaming strategy especially with Decima engine and HZD2 poly count dev tweets, and they have been planning ps5 for over 3 years, I can only assume their engines will also have moved with the same vision.

It might not be as crazy as the epic demo and those movie level assets used, but it will be a large step in that direction as everything points to it.

And as such all it takes is a couple of Sony first party games streaming crazy quality and it will start next gen off with a bang.

Last gen will all of a sudden look VERY last gen. I still expect quite a few current gen type games upscaled with whistles on, it would be too much to expect every game to push crazy SSD streaming assets........wouldnt it ?.

Last edited:

Larryfox

I'm going to be the boring guy now, but I think Ryan's line ''Its time to give fans something that can be only enjoyed on a PS5'' is a bit hasty, if there is a SINGLE pixel in the presentation that can be run on a PS4, people will go with rocks and sticks to attack him , and I won't even judge lol.
It is obvious that I hope it is true, and I think it will be, but this phrase has to be proven and on a level that will blow our minds.
I mean flying wasn’t possible on HZD 1. If HZD2 had flying than that’s soenithing that’s not possible on ps4. Would that be enough? Personally to me both consoles are disappointing, everything they’ve promised hasn’t been that impressive.

sircaw

Banned
I am wondering if they will show a segment that is dedicated to the audio/chip part of the ps5.

I know graphics are an easier thing to perhaps convey or convince people of next gen as eye candy is what most people get excited about.

I just wonder what scene or setting they would try to create in order to make people sit up and take notice of their new sound engine.

Perhaps the games itself will be enough.
I really do not know.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I mean flying wasn’t possible on HZD 1. If HZD2 had flying than that’s soenithing that’s not possible on ps4. Would that be enough? Personally to me both consoles are disappointing, everything they’ve promised hasn’t been that impressive.

Ok, what does impress you more than the UE5 demo, show us.

Whatever it is, it is not being talked about much.....

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

XSX has a decompression chip doing work worth of 3 Zen2 CPU cores. That 5 CPU cores figure is misleading. It uses 10% of 1 Zen2 CPU core for file IO and mapping. They reduced the work load from 2 Zen2 CPU cores down to 10% of 1 Zen2 CPU core.

Could be but they say their entire I/O performance (at 40x) is equivalent to 5 Zen 2 cores. I give them the benefit of doubt for that. Sure they claim 1/10th a core for DS but the big question is how much CPU is given up for the other operations we know PS5 has in HW? That is what I'm waiting to hear about from Microsoft.

Handy Fake

Regarding the variable frequencies on PS5. I have understood at differently compared to what I read from most people.

So my understanding is, that the CPU and GPU can clock themselves according to the amount of work they have to do.

So lets say the GPU needs data from the CPU (so right now it cant do anything before it gets that data), then the system can upclock (or regular clock in that case) the CPU while the GPU is clocked down a bit to save on power (heat). Then when the CPU has done its thing and send the data to the GPU the GPU will go to its maximum clock while the CPU can clock down a bit to save power (if it doesn't have any time sensitive calculation to do).

So that doesnt mean the system is slower, its just uses its maximum power when it really has to and smartly clocks down a bit when its ok to do so. The better you optimize you code the higher the utilization will be, but I think even with optimal code the CPU or GPU sometimes have to wait and it only makes sense to clock them down while they are waiting. Its easier to let them go full frequency all the time, but they would probably waste cycles doing nothing all the while consuming more power.
The CPU and GPU can do this a lot of times per second, so pretty much on a frame per frame basis.

I've read a lot of people saying its something similar to what we see on PC hardware, where the CPU or GPU get thermal throttled and clock down several hundred Mhz to cool down again (and are less powerful compared to their max clock speeds obviously). While AMD's new tech sounds more like using the power more efficiently (meaning energy consumption since the tech has been developed for mobile devices) while roughly maintaining the same amount of raw power.

... Yyyyyyes.
That was my understanding too.

Vognerful

So lets cut to the chase - xb1 sold badly mostly because it lacked good exclusives. So giving BC to that lacklustre library is worth sacrificing a new gen for? That's what MS are about to do.

The 3rd party exclusives we know about so far (all 2 of them) will never justify a purchase of xsex. People may well buy it - but those games won't sell it, something else will.

the reason why most people buy a ps5 or an Xbox series x is the same reason why many pc gamers upgrade their pc rigs; to play their games on a better experience that includes better frame rates, resolution, fidelity and other.

Would you say the same thing to those pc gamers that there is really no point in upgrading their graphic cards if they are going to be able to access the same games both ways?

look at the last multi platform games that came this generation (war zone and the last Jedi for example). Great games and i really enjoy playing them on X1X. But you can easily till that you are reaching the limitation of frame rate or LOD. I would really love to replay such games with a much better experience and Enjoy it better.

and please people should stop over reacting as if MS is destroying the next generation experience. If you are not convinced to buy from day 1 then you can buy it after few years when you believe that ”real exclusives” are released.

in fact I would argue the same thing for ps5 since history tells me their exclusives don’t really start to release until few years down the line.

geordiemp

Except just because a clock exists, if no transistors are switching and nothing is happening then its not consuming much power anyway.

Smart shift granularity for power is 2 ms stated by amd, we dont know the speed of clock switching but I assume its similar (Logical but who knows ? Cerny does :messenger_beaming: .)

So the logic looks at the mix of instructions / activity I assume 8 times a frame and decides if it needs to drop clocks if the work load would generate allot of heat, so in a way its much more reactive (time) than thermal throttling and controlling based on intended workload rather than when the chip has already got too hot.

Question is how many times a frame does it need to drop to 10 TF (assuming 2 % / 10 % Cerny comment), 1/8 th frame or more ? I guess unless a dev or Cerny tells us, nobody would ever know. But a 12 % time of a frame drop of GPU by 0.2 TF CAPACITY if true is a Genius solution...Blows my mind.

And then there is switching between CPU and GPU power...if needed.

Control steps bassed on before something happens (needs less) >>>> control when things are already hot (needs more).

I want to know more about it, as it is probably even more clever than people think (Going by Cerny smile)

Last edited:

ToadMan

But, when you have two models of same car with different horsepower you can predict which one will be faster. You have more or less same with graphics cards.

I didn’t mention cars - and that’s where your answer fails.

For a start you are assuming the engine is in a car - I said vehicle. And that is the key point. An engine does nothing sitting by itself on the test bed.

Once it’s installed in a vehicle which has the rest of the parts, one can make measurements - but until that’s done, the performance prediction is only part of the story.

Tflops represents one potential aspect of gpu performance, statically, and doesn’t factor in the rest of the system.

As we well know, Sony have gone for faster clocks and a different configuration of compute units and have done that based on the theory that parallelism does not continue to scale up with more CUs. There may be other differences which we are not yet aware of.

We already know the Xsex suffers from non-unified memory - the GPU is effectively limited to 10gb and the CPU reads from RAM 40% slower than the GPU. That is a development obstacle to be overcome for example while PS5 has an overall slower but unified block.

I mention this because memory management bottlenecks have often been associated with consoles that struggled to deliver their true potential.

kuncol02

Banned
Control steps bassed on before something happens (needs less) >>>> control when things are already hot (needs more).
Cooling sufficient to prevent thermal throttling on any load >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Control steps bassed on before something happens (needs less) >>>> control when things are already hot (needs more).

Vaztu

Could be but they say their entire I/O performance (at 40x) is equivalent to 5 Zen 2 cores. I give them the benefit of doubt for that. Sure they claim 1/10th a core for DS but the big question is how much CPU is given up for the other operations we know PS5 has in HW? That is what I'm waiting to hear about from Microsoft.

Yeah a lot of people want MS to do an in-depth talk like Road to PS5. It's rumoured to be done in August in Hotchips. But they have a 'hardware' talk in second week of June as well. Let's see when they do it.

But this is the full quote from MS regarding I/O

jJWGTzh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom