• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago07

Well for the first few years, Microsoft doesn’t expect devs to use SMT as it’s more difficult to optimize for 2 threads per core (more like their engine AS OF RN, isn’t capable of doing that yet). I know the Series X has a dedicated audio chip (even though the 3D audio concepts both companies are talking about aren’t even the same), I was just emphasizing how good PS5’s CPU would perform with SMT already enabled + all the I/O and audio work offloaded. Cerny talked about how a dedicated DMAC (Direct Memory Access Controller, responsible for moving/copying data from RAM to it’s final destination) unit within the chip removes the need for the CPU to copy data from RAM to the GPU while also mentioning that the copy performance is equal to 1-2 Zen 2 cores. Then he goes on to talk about the 2 I/O co-processors (file lookup and memory mapping) and cache scrubbers (which helps increase CU occupancy btw, innovative idea) which are also custom hardware dedicated to I/O and reducing latency when moving data, Microsoft didn't talk about any of this because they don't have all this dedicated hardware for I/O (Except for a custom Zlib decompressor). So where do you think all that processing happens then? The CPU. Which is why their CPU is clocked as high as 3.8GHz (with SMT disabled) and PS5's is clocked as low as 3.5GHz (with SMT already enabled by default).
Yeah exactly.
Also the XSX CPU uses a tenth of a Zen 2 core to Zlib decompressor, so a advantage of 100mhz is nothing.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Do we know whether Series X/S will get exclusives that won't appear on PC, too? I can't see how that can happen unless IO speeds start becoming part of minimum specs, too. Which would be a great thing for PC gaming.
I don't think they went on record to explicitly say that all Xbox Series X games going forward will be on PC, but it's what they have been pushing for big time in the last 2-3 years with the whole Play Anywhere program, and going by their more recent statements about Series X I can't find anything suggesting otherwise, and the impression I get is that at the very least for the next couple of years PC will still be supported for all new releases.

Nickolaidas

So basically PS4 is a priority for them. However they didn't say no to other platforms so that's something that might get done later on. But it probably won't happen.
They *probably* don't won't to say 'no' in order to prevent them from looking worse than MS on that front until they're sure the 'damage' will be minimal by the time they officially admit it.

Personally, I don't give a crap about PS1/2/3 BC - it's the PS4 I care about. But I understand many people have kept their discs and this will be an awesome way to play their old games again.

liviopangt

Neo Member
[QUOTE = "danielJackson, post: 259019595, membro: 792837"]
Un aspetto per "serie S vs serie x":

solo un dispositivo, 12 TFlops = gli sviluppatori possono scegliere di creare un gioco 4k / 60 fps o un gioco 30-14ps 1080-1440p con una grafica molto più dettagliata / migliore e migliorarla.

Dispositivo 4Tflops + dispositivo 12 Tflops = gli sviluppatori non riescono a creare un gioco di dettaglio ultra ultra 1080-1440p 30fps per la macchina 12tflops, poiché non funzionerebbe sulla macchina 4tflops senza un enorme downgrade.

Quindi l'IMO limita la creatività e le scelte degli sviluppatori, poiché devono solo pensare a quel sistema lento, quindi sono costretti a sprecare macchine più veloci in 4K, a meno che non vogliano pregare gli dei voodoo per riuscire a fare il downgrade.

(nemmeno prendendo le porte del PC + possibili porte xbox one nel conteggio)

Nel frattempo su PS5:

Gli sviluppatori possono creare un gioco 4k, un gioco 1080p o qualcosa del genere e funziona solo su tutti i sistemi, non c'è bisogno di pensare a quel sistema lento.

Gli sviluppatori probabilmente fanno molti giochi 4k o vicini a 4k, ma molti giocatori sarebbero contenti di potenziare i giochi 1080-1440p, per ottenere più fps e / o "grafica / fisica migliori".

E poiché xbox non è così popolare come playstation, è abbastanza probabile che la serie S superi la serie X, quindi la piattaforma di base sarà la macchina 4tflops e gli sviluppatori aumenteranno la risoluzione e poche altre cose per la versione 12tflops.

Quindi alla fine avere più scelte per i clienti equivale a meno libertà per gli sviluppatori.
[/CITAZIONE]

exactly, some people don't know, but if the 4tflop version sells more than the 12 version, for microsoft it is practically another defeat, but with their own hands

They *probably* don't won't to say 'no' in order to prevent them from looking worse than MS on that front until they're sure the 'damage' will be minimal by the time they officially admit it.

Personally, I don't give a crap about PS1/2/3 BC - it's the PS4 I care about. But I understand many people have kept their discs and this will be an awesome way to play their old games again.

I just want them to focus on PS4 BC and make sure it works properly. If they add other systems that's great but I don't have any PS1,PS2 or PS3 games.

LED Guy?

Banned
Everything is based on you thinking they won't use the processing power for resolution anymore, when in the next 7 years tv manufacturers will start the push for 8K tv's.
12 TFs aren't gonna be magical, it won't be 4K all the time, Unreal 5 was running at 1440p on PS5 already in 2020 and you expect 4K in the rest of the generation?

I'm just talking about the games in the future.

LordOfChaos

Anybody posted this?

As expected, focusing on getting PS4 BC ready for launch, but it doesn't rule out earlier either. I found it curious that they went 15 years and two generations back to the Cell to describe the Tempest engine, I wonder if that's a hedge, if they can get it to work, cool, if not they never promised it, the opposite of what they did with PS3 PS2 BC.

Last edited:

liviopangt

Neo Member
but if we put that the cpu of ps5 has much better latencies, for the fact that it has zen 3 functions in the L3 cache which seems to be unified for all cores

Last edited:

liviopangt

Neo Member
to exploit the speed of the ssd, they had to speed up all the latencies of the components especially cpu, in addition smartshift will directly transfer particular scripts and functions to the gpu via a direct bus

Uzupedro

exactly, some people don't know, but if the 4tflop version sells more than the 12 version, for microsoft it is practically another defeat, but with their own hands

If Series S sells really well compared to PS5 then it won’t be a defeat at all. Xbox needs more market share. A game sold for Series S makes just as much money as for Series X. Likewise for Xbox Live and GamePass subscriptions.

This makes sense. The CUs are being used heavily in Asynchronous Compute for Nanite, the final rendering of the scene after that work is done probably is on par with Fortnite.

This is why for this kind of technology it’s not as easy to say how it scales from 4 to 12 TF. It might not be the case that you can just push more pixels if Async Compute is being used for pre-rendering steps.

a) this was in an interview with the official playstation magazine, so what gives
b) we all know that Epic Games and Sony really like each other or there might be some marketing deal or whatever, in fact, it all started with PS3, just look at the CEO Tim Sweeney said about PS3:

We all know how it turned out. I think he is the only person on this planet that things that PS3 was "very easy to write for".

That ps3 thing has more to do with their Nvidia rather than Sony. You can see that he was with Nvidia CEO. Also UE3 ran good on the PS3. UT3 had better graphics than Gears of War when it released in 2007. Tim was not really bullshitting.

3liteDragon

bruh

wrUjjGX.jpg

Link to video:

Last edited:
As for Lockhart “holding back” game design, it all depends upon using only features that are scalable. Asynchronous compute allows for much more efficient use of the GPU, and it seems possible that there are features that just won’t be practical if scaled to use less compute (too little precision may be unreliable, which could be a problem for a key gameplay mechanic).

Did XB1’s poorer asynchronous compute lead to the avoidance of features? If so, then expect the same to happen with XsX & Lockhart.

martino

You heard it folks - 4MS TFs >>> 10 Sony TFs

The same people who were banging their chests about 12TFs >>>>>>> 10Tfs will now be saying that 4TFs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 10TFs.

Because, science.

THANKS, TOM WARREN!!
giphy.gif

Can only make sense if he is talking about ray-traced capabilities. the title can be read that way

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
12 TFs aren't gonna be magical, it won't be 4K all the time, Unreal 5 was running at 1440p on PS5 already in 2020 and you expect 4K in the rest of the generation?

I'm just talking about the games in the future.
That was a demo pushed pushed to show the best possible graphics in 5min, knowing that most people will watch this online. Big difference with a full game on 4K tv's.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it’s faster ray tracing or faster overall?
I think he means faster overall however I think it's just a clickbait title. Funnily enough, he mentioned a few weeks back about the differences in ray-tracing between the PS5 and Series X, he stated that because of the higher number of CU's in the Series X it will be able to generate more sources of "rays", however the PS5 with it's higher clocked GPU will allow the rays to "bounce more" and onto more surfaces. I don't know how true that is and RedGamingTech is usually a bit more biased towards Xbox, so take that as you will. I also remember Matt Hargett "alluding" to something similar.

Gamerguy84

The best looking games on a PS console always come from 1st party, and Im a big fan of those.

3rd party games on S,X, and PS will utilize middle of the road tech. They can scale up and down obviously between the MS consoles. They also wont look as good.

I dont boycott anyone, Doom 2016 was one of my favs this gen. My library consists mostly of SWWS games though.

Im sure MS 1st party will optimize for X as well and those titles will look and feel the best i.e. Gears, Halo, Forza.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5 Variable Frequency is Very Versatile, Tempest Will be a Game Changer – Dev

Variable Frequency -

CBE Software’s Jan Kavan, who developed the first person adventure thriller Someday You’ll Return, said that it “really depends on what kind of game you make. In Someday You’ll Return I was able to have at peak moments of 10ms / frame at obsolete i7 CPU while most of the time the game ran at 4-6 ms/frame CPU bound. But the variable frequency is a neat idea (if it works properly) because it’s very versatile.”

Tempest Engine -

Kavan says that, “It will be a game-changer but it will also depend on the consumer’s side of audio. For me it’s personally the reason I want to work with PS5.” It would certainly be interesting, if not downright terrifying, to see how horror games utilize this technology.

Entroyp

I think he means faster overall however I think it's just a clickbait title. Funnily enough, he mentioned a few weeks back about the differences in ray-tracing between the PS5 and Series X, he stated that because of the higher number of CU's in the Series X it will be able to generate more sources of "rays", however the PS5 with it's higher clocked GPU will allow the rays to "bounce more" and onto more surfaces. I don't know how true that is and RedGamingTech is usually a bit more biased towards Xbox, so take that as you will. I also remember Matt Hargett "alluding" to something similar.

So we expect lockhart to be 10.23+ TFLOPS for $299? Damn that’s a great value!

J_Gamer.exe

He never did reply did he....

icerock

The latest rumor of a Series X launch in late-August, with Lockhart in late-October sounds barmy.

For a console to have been pegged for an early launch they haven't shown too much software, makes me wonder what the pipeline is now looking for launch window and beyond.

The latest rumor of a Series X launch in late-August, with Lockhart in late-October sounds barmy.

For a console to have been pegged for an early launch they haven't shown too much software, makes me wonder what the pipeline is now looking for launch window and beyond.
This is from before COVID supposedly which at this point has also delayed all the software reveals that would've happened.

J_Gamer.exe

I was re-reading this before and do we know what happened to this guy?

I remember when he withdrew what he had said and I remember seeing comments on twitter somewhere from the hardcore xbox side, he got slated, all was dismissed and he was branded a liar...

But seems poor chap was just being honest.

I think everything that's come out since has only strengthened his statements, with things like unreal engine 5 and praise showered from all devs and people like Tim sweeney etc. Epic VP calling PS5 a masterpiece of design.

T-Cake

Woah, I'd love a late August XSX release. At the moment, it's likely to be PS5 purchase first then XSX a bit later on but if the XSX is released a couple of months ahead, then I'll purchase that one. It doesn't matter to me whether new games are ready, I can play whatever's on Game Pass via BC to begin with. Please Phil, make it so!

xacto

I don't even know why they're getting so defensive about it, since according to the genius that is Tom Warren, a 4TF console has beat PS5 to the punch?

I mean, yeah, on paper we could have done this, then that, so our console would be even more powerful... but oh, wait, we have Lockhart, guys! We're saved!

I swear, these people really can't figure it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom