• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

So the industry are putting the prices up on games. We must speak with our wallets. And put a stop to this ASAP!!

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Lets face it, and this is from a current Ps4 fan prior 360 fan, a lockart will be better than the XB1 or any jaguar and HDD based system full stop.

Everyone nees to stop production of all ps4, Xb1 consoles and move on so we cna have more enemies on screen, more animations and things happening.

Think about destiny, those tired 6-1 enemies that spawn with same movements, thats Jaguar.
Nah, PS4 still has legs for selling for quite some time, just give it a good price reduction when PS5 price is announced. Besides, it's not compromising first party titles like XO S/X are.

Darius87

Like there wasn't already enough similarities between Uncharted and Tomb Raider, the next game will have a female protagonist too?
i don't think whatever is making next uncharted cares about similarities i just hope it will be open world and f**k tomb raider :messenger_pouting: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_sunglasses:
lG8bjh2k6SWBq6d5GwOcOS9HWRes7j_ZMN8KLSSWxGnjyMl9QP9wP0J5N-d0k4-POyZvWHYIdg7KJJT0-LAYpEsFpAPU1eITfXHKpXa9TCnxx2-tEMGkNpkMAw

SSfox

Like there wasn't already enough similarities between Uncharted and Tomb Raider, the next game will have a female protagonist too?

This is the main reason why i think they should have gone with Nate having a son instead of a daughter... But we'll see what they'll do the next game anyway, hopefully it will still stand out.

lG8bjh2k6SWBq6d5GwOcOS9HWRes7j_ZMN8KLSSWxGnjyMl9QP9wP0J5N-d0k4-POyZvWHYIdg7KJJT0-LAYpEsFpAPU1eITfXHKpXa9TCnxx2-tEMGkNpkMAw

1000000000000000000000000000000000000% this

Last edited:

geordiemp

Nah, PS4 still has legs for selling for quite some time, just give it a good price reduction when PS5 price is announced. Besides, it's not compromising first party titles like XO S/X are.

True, but its still showing a leg to 3rd party developers. We need all dev to move away from Jaguar as soon as possible, Jaguar needs to die.

I dont mind Ps4 being made as long as 3rd party ignore it, otherwise we get less ambitious games.

Last edited:
Hah, called this some time ago. That I expected prices to be $69 for the next gen.

:|

EDIT since the thread was closed:

Jez knows some things.

Last edited:

SSfox

True, but its still showing a leg to 3rd party developers. We need all dev to move away from Jaguar as soon as possible, Jaguar needs to die.

I dont mind Ps4 being made as long as 3rd party ignore it, otherwise we get less ambitious games.

Everytime i got reminded that games like GOW, TLOU2 and soon GOT (just to name those) runs with Jaguar is quite impressive.

Last edited:

"This is on Microsoft for trying to act like 60 FPS is the "standard" to try and separate from the PS5. Setting expectations is important"

Was it really Microsoft though or just Greenberg?

Anyways I'm surprised that Jez criticized Microsoft this way.

It's pretty common knowledge that it will be up to developers to choose framerate over visuals when it comes to consoles.

And that is exactly why some people like myself have been questioning the lockhart idea.
So 30fps on the higher end system, what does that mean for the lower end one?

I think the Lockhart is just a 1080P XSX. So if the XSX plays a game at 60FPS Lockhart will do the same but at a lower resolution.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

"This is on Microsoft for trying to act like 60 FPS is the "standard" to try and separate from the PS5. Setting expectations is important"

It's pretty common knowledge that it will be up to developers to choose framerate over visuals when it comes to consoles.

I think the Lockhart is just a 1080P XSX. So if the XSX plays a game at 60FPS Lockhart will do the same but at a lower resolution.
I blame Greenberg for that, it's 'true 4k' situation all over again.

Is the Medium a MS first party game? Does MS or any platform holder have the ability to tell third parties what framerate their games have to run at?

Is the Medium a MS first party game? Does MS or any platform holder have the ability to tell third parties what framerate their games have to run at?

Whatever Microsoft promises with games it's probably related to their studios. The issue with some of Greenbergs comments is that he doesn't specify if it's 1st party or not. That's where some of the confusion comes from.

Medium uses RT? If not is a bit strange.. the new assassin creed is also 30fps if I’m not mistaken and I think it doesn’t use RT either..

I was expecting more from 12TF

It's got that world switching mechanic in it. Maybe it's just really resource intensive so they have to drop the framerate.

Last edited:
Whatever Microsoft promises with games it's probably related to their studios. The issue with some of Greenbergs comments is that he doesn't specify if it's 1st party or not. That's where some of the confusion comes from.

It's got that world switching mechanic in it. Maybe it's just really resource intensive so they have to drop the framerate.

Yes maybe is that or because is just the beginning of the generation and they are still knowing the hardware..

geordiemp

Its funny people critising ps5 next gen only games being 4k30....or large open world like Valhalla......

did not take long.

Cross gen games like desitny 4k60..

Games will be the same, little difference, who would of guessed,....I am shocked.

Honestly, if a game can not meet the 4k/60 this gen I would like to see the devs offer the option for running at 1080P/60 or 4k/30.

I'll take 4K whenever I can get it on a larger set but for smaller screens 1080 is plenty.

They cant mandate shit. Blubber, plumper or whoever the dev is are not xbox workers. Xbox cant pimp these hoes. Dev's do what the box is capable off. If its 30 it is 30. Sure they can spend more time to get it to 60. But if its multiplat game. They got to weigh up time vs cost vs release date pressure from publisher. And at this time its 30. Its just what it is.

Last edited:
Games designed around 30 FPS will be around forever.

Artistic games will always want the full frame time they can get to make things look good. Fast paced shooters can still target 60 FPS or more. Just as they did on 360/PS3.

The only way to get ahead of the curve and have artistic games at higher frame rates is to be on hardware at a higher specification than the original target platform.

That means being on PC and buying expensive GPUs, or a mid-gen “Pro” console with lazy optimisation that allows you to choose more frame-rate at the original console’s quality.

This will be the same for the next Xbox and PlayStation a decade from now.

Last edited:
Yes maybe is that or because is just the beginning of the generation and they are still knowing the hardware..

You're definitely right that we haven't even started next gen yet so that's definitely a possibility. Another one is that maybe the developers don't have the resources to make this a 60FPS title.

Its funny people critising ps5 next gen only games being 4k30....or large open world like Valhalla......

did not take long.

Cross gen games like desitny 4k60..

Games will be the same, little difference, who would of guessed,....I am shocked.

Honestly I'm expecting both systems to have 30FPs games. And when it comes to multiplats I'm not expecting a day and night difference between them
The problem is not the game being 30 or 60fps, that was always up to devs, but this 'target 60fps' narrative MS marketing is doing to make every XSX game looks like it will be 60fps.

Initially I found Jezs reaction a little weird but now I understand why he criticized Microsoft. They need to work on their messaging a little better.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it matter that it doesn't run at 60fps? That's a dev decision... If the XSX had a 24TF GPU they still might have make it run at 30fps... So do we want Microsoft to force developers to push for 60fps then?

Neo Blaster

Please provide a link where MS stated all XSX games would run at 60 fps. Thank you.
Oh, now you're going to ignore MS marketing wording around that tag 'Optimized for Xbox Series X' and 'target 60fps'? They are trying to make people expect 60fps with that, and don't forget Aaron himself coming on Twitter saying 60fps would be standard just to be owned by Ubisoft later.

Why does it matter that it doesn't run at 60fps? That's a dev decision... If the XSX had a 24TF GPU they still might have make it run at 30fps... So do we want Microsoft to force developers to push for 60fps then?

Now you surprise me. You’re so concerned in the other thread about marvel avengers being 4K 30fps in PS5.. and now it’s ok regarding medium in sex?

I see you evolved in your position.. good..

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yes it is, but if you been reading Neogaf for past week all XSX games are the power pinnacle it seems, some of us believe that 15 % TF, but slower GPU by 22 % and differing APIs it will be a much of a muchness.

At the MSPR, optimised for XSX and 120 FPS you can see why such beliefs are held, only to be shot down with reality.

And so it begins.

Last edited:

They should be a bit more careful with the message they send out though, it might be a double-edged sword.

"Games that have been Optimized for Xbox Series X use the power of the new console to deliver higher, steadier frame rates, with a performance target of 60 FPS at 4K resolution. Some games will even be able to support frame rates up to 120 FPS or variable refresh rates, allowing developers to offer players heightened realism and more precise controls for fast-paced action."

If I was them I would change it to something like this.

"with a guaranteed performance of 60 FPS at 4K resolution at a minimum."

And then use that for games that actually meet those requirements. It also is another way to give developers and incentive to meet those minimums plus it isn't forcing them to do that. The ones that don't won't have the seal.

Edit: When I read target it reminds me of the target render for Killzone 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom