• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m posting this just to laugh when he delete the tweet on Monday.

Go home Tony you drunk!!!

C9O6kc.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Because doing E3 is too expensive that is one of the main excuses given for Sony killing the show lol. Things like that.
Well, I think E3 was great and worth the money but many would say that companies were gouged for their place at the event.

They could afford it easily but in the context of budgets and what other thibgs they could use the money for.... it may seem like a waste.

Back in 2013 Sony was in a much different place but Kaz actually turned the entire company around, it wasn't all pleasant. Many were made redundant, the laptop business was sold off and mobile phone business was scaled down. I still think mobile should have been sold completely.

But now they have over 30 Billion in cash, at least 10 of that is from PlayStation. It's approaching Oracle, Cisco and Amazon levels of cash on hand. Which is good, reassuring for gamers in their ecosystem anyway.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well, I think E3 was great and worth the money but many would say that companies were gouged for their place at the event.

They could afford it easily but in the context of budgets and what other thibgs they could use the money for.... it may seem like a waste.

Back in 2013 Sony was in a much different place but Kaz actually turned the entire company around, it wasn't all pleasant. Many were made redundant, the laptop business was sold off and mobile phone business was scaled down. I still think mobile should have been sold completely.

But now they have over 30 Billion in cash, at least 10 of that is from PlayStation. It's approaching Oracle, Cisco and Amazon levels of cash on hand. Which is good, reassuring for gamers in their ecosystem anyway.
I think buying insomniac should show fans and owning every wasteful marketing deal should be enough for fans to know they have plenty of money. I'm glad to see another who sees value in E3 after this summer of cluster fuck with out it. It has almost ruined the fun of a new generation launch.

Bryank75

Banned
I think buying insomniac should show fans and owning every wasteful marketing deal should be enough for fans to know they have plenty of money. I'm glad to see another who sees value in E3 after this summer of cluster fuck with out it. It has almost ruined the fun of a new generation launch.
Gaming would be so dull without the excitement of new generations and E3 and all the things that make it what it is..... that is why a streaming future would kill the entire industry.

I think the 1.4% Epic deal was bullshit too...they could have bought Remedy or iOi easily for that amount.
To buy Kadokawa and therefore From would be just over a billion and I think that is what they should do.... Publish Bloodborne on PC and say, there is your taste and if you want more they will be on PlayStation from now on.

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh wow! That Assassin's Creed gameplay trailer looked and played like trash, sorry guys, but it really does look bad, and I bet this was running on a PC or even Xbox Series X because they wanna show the game at its best and because they have a marketing partnership with Microsoft, but it plays bad.

Last edited:
Sony could buy the entire company almost twice over.....

Dunno why people think they are some broke company!
Well of course they could buy it, but that doesn't mean they should. I never suggested they were poor, I just said that they only got some shares of Epic.

Murder187

Oh wow! That Assassin's Creed gameplay trailer looked and played like trash, sorry guys, but it really does look bad, and I bet this was running on a PC or even Xbox Series X because they wanna show the game at its best and because they have a marketing partnership with Microsoft, but it plays bad.
Actually the new footage looks a lot better than what been going around not the best looking game but definitely looks good and fun I kinda want it now

HawarMiran

Banned
For me it is the most visually appealing AC in a long time. I like the environments and color palette. But animations in combat look bad. Combat was never the best part of AC anyway

yewles1

Difference in CPU is so meaningless that is not even worth mentioning.
Of course XSX has a higher bandwidth speed because, guess what, it has 1.8 TFLOPS more. More TF, higher bandwidth required. But you're looking at this in the wrong way. Bandwidth speed per TF is very similar to both. Read this posts :

Not so higher in the end, isn't. Mind you that if some game on XSX will use more than 10 GB, RAM speed will drop.
Also, regarding GPU and "allmighty" 1.8 TF more on XSX, higher speed clock GPU in PS5 has some advantages, and here they are :

Whilst I'm here, I might as well post the rest. It's important to note all the below are theoretical maximums, including whether the clocks are fixed or not:

Extrapolated from RDNA1:

Triangle rasterisation is 4 triangles per cycle.

PS5:
4 x 2.23 GHz ~ 8.92 Billion triangles per second

XSX:
4 x 1.825 GHz - 7.3 Billion triangles per second

Triangle culling rate is twice number triangles rasterised per cycle.

PS5:
8 x 2.23 GHz - 17.84 Billion triangles per second

XSX:
8 x 1.825 GHz - 14.6 Billion triangles per second

Pixel fillrate is with 4 shader arrays with 4 RBs (render backends) each, and each RB outputtting 4 pixels each. So 64 pixels per cycle.

PS5:
64 x 2.23 GHz - 142.72 Billion pixels per second

XSX:
64 x 1.825 GHz - 116.8 Billion pixels per second

Texture fillrate is based on 4 texture units (TMUs) per CU.

PS5:
4 x 36 x 2.23 GHz - 321.12 Billion texels per second

XSX:
4 x 52 x 1.825 GHz - 379.6 Billion texels per second

Raytracing in RDNA2 is alleged to be from modified TMUs.

PS5:
4 x 36 x 2.23 GHz - 321.12 Billion ray intersections per second

XSX:
4 x 52 x 1.825 GHz - 379.6 Billion Ray intersections per second
I'd like to add that the bandwidth gap itself is smaller than previous gen, PS4 Base being 2.6x faster than, X1, X1X being 50% faster than PS4 Pro and now XSX being 25% faster than PS5.

AeneaGames

MS have much more power and money to buy WB Games than EA, Take Two and Activision.

I belive the franchises would be better in their hands too (compared to the other companies). The problem is Gamepass that don't allow for now the development of various simultaneous higher budget AAA games, and MS would buy studios that specializes in AAA, but they can handle this I think.

Let's wait and see, I belive MS will win this war. For they is good chance to stand against Sony Marvel games like SpiderMan and IronMan, and have great franchises like Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings.

But the IPs are not included in this deal tho, it's just the studios...

Tiago07

But the IPs are not included in this deal tho, it's just the studios...
Only the studios .????? I thought it had "ip deals" too.

So this is not so good I think, the only benefit is the ips, the studios like rocksteady is good but not top tier like other studios (mainly Sony Studios that almost or even all are top tier) .

For MS I think the strategy of buying multiples studios is not so great, the only great thing here is the IP, they have to buy like Sony, only really very good studios like Insonmiac recently and they will probably buy Bluepoint in the future.

ToadMan

Only the studios .????? I thought it had "ip deals" too.

So this is not so good I think, the only benefit is the ips, the studios like rocksteady is good but not top tier like other studios (mainly Sony Studios that almost or even all are top tier) .

For MS I think the strategy of buying multiples studios is not so great, the only great thing here is the IP, they have to buy like Sony, only really very good studios like Insonmiac recently and they will probably buy Bluepoint in the future.

As far as I know it just the studios not the main IPs (Batman). It would include the Nether-realms IPs though - Mortal Kombat/Injustice - since they own those.

There is a theory that any purchaser would buy the studios and a rider to license the IPs with them though.

The problem “buying” studios is that what you’re really buying are fixed assets like buildings and things like furniture and tech but you’re not buying the most valuable thing which is the people. They’re free to resign when it suits them.

Usually, devs who choose to work in a game studio do so because they don’t want a big corp atmosphere/Image/approach in the work place.

It doesn’t matter if it’s MS or apple or Sony or whoever - If you’re a good engineer, you already chose not to work for those guys so when they come in and buy up the place, the good guys with options leave and only the people who can’t get hired easily elsewhere remain.

Sony have avoided this by having extended second party relationships with their studios before sealing the deal and getting them first party.

Just coming in cold with a check book isn’t a good method to keep the most valuable employees. It’s better for a company to set up a new office and attract the talent that wants to come allowing both sides to choose the best fit.

reksveks

As far as I know it just the studios not the main IPs (Batman). It would include the Nether-realms IPs though - Mortal Kombat/Injustice - since they own those.

There is a theory that any purchaser would buy the studios and a rider to license the IPs with them though.

The problem “buying” studios is that what you’re really buying are fixed assets like buildings and things like furniture and tech but you’re not buying the most valuable thing which is the people. They’re free to resign when it suits them.

Usually, devs who choose to work in a game studio do so because they don’t want a big corp atmosphere/Image/approach in the work place.

It doesn’t matter if it’s MS or apple or Sony or whoever - If you’re a good engineer, you already chose not to work for those guys so when they come in and buy up the place, the good guys with options leave and only the people who can’t get hired easily elsewhere remain.

Sony have avoided this by having extended second party relationships with their studios before sealing the deal and getting them first party.

Just coming in cold with a check book isn’t a good method to keep the most valuable employees. It’s better for a company to set up a new office and attract the talent that wants to come allowing both sides to choose the best fit.

Depends on how you want to treat the new studio, from the gameindustry.biz article, it does seem like Microsoft are taking a very light touch in terms of the updating the acquired company culture. I suspect that some HR roles might be lost due to overlap but everything else could be the same.

ZywyPL

Banned
Dunno if it has been posted yet, but here in Poland one of the biggest consumer electronics retailer accidentally put both PS5 and XBX pages online for a minute or two, the links are still available if you google them but redirect you to the main page now, but you can still see the price even from there, both consoles apparently are/will be available for 2499PLN, so around 2k without 23% VAT, which translates to 499$. That's for the base models, the discless PS5 has not been listed yet.

ps5.jpg

xbx.jpg

Good thing that they didn't sell mobile division.

New xperia models are actually one of the best phones now. Some biased reviewers still dislike em for false reasons, but fanboys are fanboys.

Maybe it doesnt make sense im business aspect, but they are really good.

Sony have made tons of mobile innovations before apple/samsung, but dont get credit for them.

Gotta hope that they gain popularity, maybe it leads into portable console some day

Bryank75

Banned

New xperia models are actually one of the best phones now. Some biased reviewers still dislike em for false reasons, but fanboys are fanboys.

Sony have made tons of mobile innovations before apple/samsung, but dont get credit for them.

Gotta hope that they gain popularity, maybe it leads into portable console some day
I also had 2 Xperias, they just aren't that popular and mobile is a game of popularity.... I loved mine though.

I agree that they are really well made and had water proof features and other things way before others, I was just speaking from a financial perspective that section loses some money every year (not much but enough to fund a game or two)

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Sony's price and marketing is what is killing them.

Something about Sony's marketing ha been really off the last couple of years

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You know with the whole Corona shite (and it will of had an effect, even if they say it hasnt), pre-orders of PS5 could very well sell out in a a couple of days, even hours. So if you def want a launch console, get that pre-order in when they go Live.
Definitely, I expect every console being sold out at launch. Sure there are people that might not have the money to buy one, but still a lot more that have the money

if it was sony doing the WB it would be all praise. It isn't because its microsoft. They have enough studios to combat sony now and if they secure this deal it will put them over the top. In the current economic climate having job security is a big thing especially in the game world. if i knew my company would have freedom to work on what I want it would make me stay more. Hell just as long as I work in a good environment ill stay.

hemo memo

Gold Member
He might have jumped the gun and only looked at the PS5 text, and didn't checkout the XSX text because he thought it was different

If only he used logic. I mean why would they let you download a digital version when you buy physical? People can trade the same game and get a very digital copy. What Ubisoft did will be the standard. To have the physical disc to play the upgraded version or download the digital upgraded version because the digital version of the game is linked to your account.

ToadMan

Depends on how you want to treat the new studio, from the gameindustry.biz article, it does seem like Microsoft are taking a very light touch in terms of the updating the acquired company culture. I suspect that some HR roles might be lost due to overlap but everything else could be the same.

This is true and that is an important point.

If the staff don’t really notice the regime change it can work better.

Dunno if it has been posted yet, but here in Poland one of the biggest consumer electronics retailer accidentally put both PS5 and XBX pages online for a minute or two, the links are still available if you google them but redirect you to the main page now, but you can still see the price even from there, both consoles apparently are/will be available for 2499PLN, so around 2k without 23% VAT, which translates to 499$. That's for the base models, the discless PS5 has not been listed yet.

ps5.jpg

xbx.jpg
I seriously doubt that prices are announced to retailers yet. I have basically started ignoring website leaks when it comes to pricing, because historically they were placeholders. I only care about retail website leaks when it showed unannunced game details.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If only he used logic. I mean why would they let you download a digital version when you buy physical? People can trade the same game and get a very digital copy. What Ubisoft did will be the standard. To have the physical disc to play the upgraded version or download the digital upgraded version because the digital version of the game is linked to your account.
Yeah I agree, it was a dumb post and he didn't think it through.

Tom Warren's tweets have made him look like a professional version of timdog, both act like clowns while one has a shield to cover his buffoonery in the name of Verge.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Yup, a clown in a suit.

e13.png
Tom looks sharp in his new suit but he definitely needs a different hair. Too much colors.

I've gotta be honest, didn't expect Far Cry 6 to look this good
Indeed, but that's probably PC version running at max details, and on top of that there's always possibility of downgrade in the final game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom