• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGs

Industry Professional
The only trace of the CELL architecture in the ps5 is the Tempest Engine and that's just the audio chip. Everything else barely shows any traces of that architecture in its dna. In fact the company that makes it harder for developers to easily get to grips with the architectures' features, is the one who introduces more abstraction layers into their system. I'll let people figure this out by themselves.

Vae_Victis

Banned
It's not a surprise that Xbox is not flying off the shelves in Europe like PlayStation did, their brand recognition is much worse and most people don't switch from one console to another only because a couple of franchises might be exclusives years down the line. The only indicator of initial appeal that should be looked at is North America IMHO.

Faithless83

Banned
That’s not going to happen.

Sony coasting on PS4 success instead of aggressively building on the back of it will be their undoing.

MS is making the third party landscape smaller for everybody, and they have an army of first party studios. I expect 2023 onwards to be mega years for Xbox. They have the studios, they have the money, they have a low barrier of entry, they have gamepass.
Chill man, Sony still have cards on the table.
Remember how much their output slowed since 2018? They have games being worked for a while.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I do not think so. If you want to bring such big games for your subscription service, you have to finance it somehow and that works best where such games are bought at full price on the first day.

You may be able to do without it with a few first-party titles, but the next Skyrim will bring you so much money that you will automatically become platform agnostic^^

Here's a scenario I'd love that will not happen:
I'd love for Elder Scrolls 6, and possibly Starfield be available purchase only on Playstation 5. Microsoft makes money. These games available for purchase or through Gamepass on XSX. That way, The game is available everywhere, and MS gets their money.
I think that's smart business. I can think of so many reasons, and even comments that Spencer has said which would be an argument for this. It will not happen regardless.

ghairat

Insane that Sony still hasnt bought Falcom... They are pretty much doing games exclusively for Sony and using their engine as well

ethomaz

Banned
It's not a surprise that Xbox is not flying off the shelves in Europe like PlayStation did, their brand recognition is much worse and most people don't switch from one console to another only because a couple of franchises might be exclusives years down the line. The only indicator of initial appeal that should be looked at is North America IMHO.
And how are going NA preorders with these few allocations?

TheGejsza

So we dont have Amazon in Poland, but we have Allegro. They sold today 283 XSX. Its not much for biggest online retailer in 48M country. And it looks like whole XSX number was around 1250.
I am curious if I will be able to buy PS5 day1 just by walking into the store. I did not make any preorder because I am still on the fence about day1 purchase and waiting for more info from Sony.

Indeed

I assumed that xbox maybe sells out in few hours, but they are still available after almost 6.5 hours.

PS5 sold out under a minute or two in most shops.

After bad gen + no big hitters to xbone in last 2 years doesnt help, even if xbox is doing things better now

And the "incredible value of game pass" doesnt seem to work to europeans as easily as americans

Raphael

Indeed

I assumed that xbox maybe sells out in few hours, but they are still available after almost 6.5 hours.

PS5 sold out under a minute or two in most shops.

After bad gen + no big hitters to xbone in last 2 years doesnt help, even if xbox is doing things better now

And the "incredible value of game pass" doesnt seem to work to europeans as easily as americans
We dont know about the volume of units that are available. Supposedly Xbox was in mass production earlier. Also what if sony actually had the those production issues as reported by bloomberg.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

PS5 will destroy Xbox in games and sales for the first 24 months.
But what will happen in 2023 when Sony has two games coming out that year and MS has five or six?
Who said Sony isn't doing anything? We've been hearing about them expanding their studios inside for quite some time, and more acquisitions must be coming. Do not mistake silent for doing nothing.

Last edited:

There are too many people who Just dont understsand the gaming market and market as a whole.

The PlayStation boards on every single Champions League game alone is much more of a big thing in Europe to make the minds of gamers and causals than MS spanding its gaming Studios. Not even a contest.

PlayStation game is at the mind and heart of gamers all around the globe in a Far more intense way that the die hard American Xbox fanboys twitters can ever imagine. They are constantly understimating the Power of PlayStation Brand, its history and legacy in their own americanized little bubbles with their Xbox 360 saudosism era.

ksdixon

Boost might not help if its locked to 30 fps. I expect Naughty Dog will patch The Last of Us Part 2. Uncharted? idk.

At this point I must say that not many PS5 launch titles are tickling my balls. I'm more looking forward to the loadtime improvents, the menu not freezing when going in and out of sub menus. TLOU2 needs it's MP, like, tomorrow!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Who said Sony isn't doing anything? We've been hearing about them expanding their studios inside for quite some time, and more acquisitions must be coming.

Only expansion I know of is the Insomniac acquisition. The rest are rumors with nothing to show for.

Sony keeps insisting on working with independent devs, help them increase in size and skill and then hope they sell. Didn’t work with RAD, didn’t work with Quantic Dream, and it won’t work with Bluepoint or KojiPro.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
If 1000 people in whole world will buy XSS on launch, how long its gonna take MS to kill it.
There is no interest around the globe at all...

How dare you say that when PS5 is the one with issues due the high clock lol

Big chips are hard to produce than smaller ones no matter the clock... so if the production is bad for PS5 the for Xbox Series X is even worst.

Series S should be the chip with better production right now but I believe the appeals is pretty low at least with early adopters (the moms are no shopping yet).

Lol

I bet they are both holding back preorder allocations, I had a waaaay easier time getting my PS4 preorder back in 2013 than I did getting my PS5 preorder even though they are supposed to have a better supply of PS5's. I am just excited that it is almost November and the next generation of gaming is almost upon us!

Who said Sony isn't doing anything? We've been hearing about them expanding their studios inside for quite some time, and more acquisitions must be coming. Do not mistake silent for doing nothing.

Spiderman
Demons Souls
Ratchet and clank
Horizon Forbiden West
Deathloop
Gran Turismo 7
God Of War Ragnarok
Final Fantasy XVI
Kena
Etc

Thats Just the beginning. All intended to be released in the First year of PlayStation 5.

Ps5 has a much better start software wide than PS4 .

PS5 seems to be ridiculously easy to work on. Developers have been praising It a Lot, the development process can flow on an amazing pace so games are produced on a shorter space time.

All points to PS5 being stronger than PS4 on software.

GreyHand23

PS5 will destroy Xbox in games and sales for the first 24 months.
But what will happen in 2023 when Sony has two games coming out that year and MS has five or six?

Sounds like your advice is to wait to buy the Xbox till 2023. I wouldn't assume that Sony will have no games either. That's never happened and isn't likely to happen either.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it matter if I buy the console or not?

I’m not complaining, just making observations of what will happen with the market.
Oh, sorry I thought from you as a gamer perspective.

From a business sense, and Sony's perspective, they will have to do something in the next few years. Like you said from 2023, Microsoft will be releasing a lot more games, and this will translate into more Game Pass subscribers and consoles sold. Which means a bigger part of the market, and that's bad for Sony's business. I don't think Sony will rest on their laurels though.

Garani

Then you just buy an XSS for $200

By 2023 you'll probably can get a used one for $100

From a business sense, and Sony's perspective, they will have to do something in the next few years. Like you said from 2023, Microsoft will be releasing a lot more games, and this will translate into more Game Pass subscribers and consoles sold. Which means a bigger part of the market, and that's bad for Sony's business. I don't think Sony will rest on their laurels though.

I said it yesterday: this is good for us as consumer, given that Sony will have to move it's butt. On the other hand, this move is a tipical competition killer move by MS: buy and hoarde.

Last edited:
Today I am depressed to see that my games of Spiderman on PS4 will not be able to take advantage of them on PS5, I hope the same will not happen with Tsushima or TLOU2, because otherwise, seriously, in my opinion, and looking at the latest events (Bethesda, IG, prices of games and accessories, reservations, etc.), if we did not take into consideration the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way) and the difficulty of development that it entailed, we could say that it seems that Sony is returning to the time of PS3.

If PS5 fails I will begin to think that the Cell is the Phill Garrison of microprocessors. Wherever it goes, it fails.

@Bo_Hazem , have you thought about buying TakeTwo for Sony with the change that you get back from buying a HappyMeal?

Spider-Man remaster is a brand new release. Thus the cross saves doesn't work. Ghost of Tsushima PS4 on PS5 will be your regular BC experience. Not sure why the sudden fud from you good sir!

saintjules

Nearly an hour left

MvZAO1x.jpg

Gediminas

Banned
There are still pre-orders available for XBox One X..... wow.

I expected better sales than this, maybe they really are boned.
in norway, PS5 was sold out very fast with bigger price(5899, 5999kr). i preordered 3 of them, i hope i will get at least 1 of them on 19.11.

xbox now sitting with preorders open and even price is smaller - 5499kr. so they have very little stock and still can't sell.

FALCON_KICK

That's a pretty ridiculous way to describe Starfield.

It's Bethesda's next big secretive RPG project... "Skyrim in Space" is what people are hoping it will be.. Skyrim being one of the best selling games ever.

Bethesda has certainly turned some people off as of late but there's far more hope for Starfield than Xbox fanboys.
Insomniac can do a RPG spinoff with their Ratchet and Clank series as they are space faring duo who constantly hop planets across galaxies by implementing some of the huge space battles usually seen in space opera like Star wars and adding bigger scope to their story like Mass effect 1-3 or even a smaller scope like Nintendo's Star fox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom