• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
Hmmm, do I spy a possible NVMe slot?

zScsPxy.png

Looks like it could be, must be some kind of weird riser for it on the MOBO, assuming that fan is indeed right above the APU.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
For those worried about the fans:

I have faith in the PS5's cooling solution, Mark Cerny's comments were pretty telling that they wanted a capable cooling solution. My hope is it runs whisper quiet.

sircaw

Banned
I believe it's too soon to say. Even Thomas from DF said "baffling to me how I/O will make for better graphics" or how having an I/O of 17GB/s with oodle can help. Less things in memory, more room to process things, bigger textures, focus only on what's on screen. It's the closest we are to cartridges again. Both timestamped:

sounds like Sony solutions is far superior than Microsofts, that second video is damning. it not even in the same ballpark.

Looks like it could be, must be some kind of weird riser for it on the MOBO, assuming that fan is indeed right above the APU.

I am curious if they are going to allow of any type of heat sink or will the PS5 have its own heatsink/cooling solution for the NVMe. For anyone that owns a NVMe they will know that they heat up fast and once the heat gets too high the performance drops pretty hard, so I imagine Sony has some type of solution for that.

splattered

This is exactly how i thought it was going to work... take off the side plate and unscrew a plate.

That being said, i only see one slot here and not two? People have been wondering if it has two bays or just one like the PS4. Would be shitty if you can only have one NVME in the console at a time.

Maybe you can lift the bay out and there are two slots for the drives?

Or maybe we are only getting one internal drive per console... and then how would this work with an external storage SSD solution with speeds compatible with the PS5???

TBiddy

On the SSD side of things but MS has put a lot of money into their pockets and DF wont want to bite the hand thats giving them money.

You can say it outright. Do you think DF are lying or misinforming viewers and readers in favor of Microsoft, because Microsoft are paying them to?

Mr Moose

This is exactly how i thought it was going to work... take off the side plate and unscrew a plate.

That being said, i only see one slot here and not two? People have been wondering if it has two bays or just one like the PS4. Would be shitty if you can only have one NVME in the console at a time.

Maybe you can lift the bay out and there are two slots for the drives?

Or maybe we are only getting one internal drive per console... and then how would this work with an external storage SSD solution with speeds compatible with the PS5???
There's the internal 825GB drive and the slot for NVMe, you can also use USB to store/transfer games to the SSDs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You can say it outright. Do you think DF are lying or misinforming viewers and readers in favor of Microsoft, because Microsoft are paying them to?

It was pretty obvious what I said.

Do I think they straight up lie about things? No

Do I think they are slick at what they do and have reasons to put one console in a better light then the other? 100% know it for a fact.

TheAssist

Hmm if its for the nvme drive then that means the fan has a diameter of either about 80mm or 110mm (depending on the NVMe standard they are using) since the diameter between the two seems very similar. I think thats fine. I have both 80mm, 120mm and 140mm fans in my PC and none of them are audible in an annoying way. And I have the side Panel of (dont ask why).

TBiddy

It was pretty obvious what I said.

Do I think they straight up lie about things? No

Do I think they are slick at what they do and have reasons to put one console in a better light then the other? 100% know it for a fact.

You're still dodging. What reasons? Do you think Microsoft are paying them to be put in a better light than Sony? If so, that's a pretty big accusation, and I assume you have more evidence than "100% know it for a fact".

Vae_Victis

Banned
I have faith in the PS5's cooling solution, Mark Cerny's comments were pretty telling that they wanted a capable cooling solution. My hope is it runs whisper quiet.
Doing a very rough estimation, that fan cover is slightly less than 1/3 of the entire height of the console, so about 12 cm in diameter? The fan should be no less than 10 cm in diameter.

Feels like some NDA breakage on the way...I feel major leaks before the 4th or whatever day it will lift.

At least this time, it'll be fun to see and extrapolate on. The last time was an absolute scramble to get a pre-order.

Xbox Series consoles can allow you to delete part of the game to free up space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom