• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, to be fair....don't you need the devs to point that kind of thing out and talk about the technical details of what they're doing? Or are you an expert in game development so that you can see that kind of thing right away and don't need it explained? As far as I'm aware, we haven't had any "behind the scenes" videos from devs about any of these games. So....we still need to know.
nah, my entire point is that the ssd stuff isnt jumping out at you. the returns arent worth the large investment Cerny made putting the ssd over a bigger gpu.

Sigh!! My brother, i got no words to say anymore. If you are MS fanboy, you are going to cry more. I think what sony is doing much better than what's MS doing, they have lauch games, and games that are coming out in 6months or less. MS is touting all about TFLOPS and you have seen what they have shown and they want to sell the beef up version of last gen console for you to play thousands years old games. That’s not what i would call next gen, at least sony is giving me new gen experience, like haptic feedback and 3D audio etc. Last but not least, if you are so obsessed for TFLOPS just go for PC, console are not meant to have best graphics, consoles is all about gaming experience, and GAMES.

How do you know that those games aren't using power of SSD? Who told you? Demon Souls looks like fucking CGI and almost identical to the UE5 demo, what's making you think that Blue points is not using the similar tech like NANiTE in UE5?? You already know that UE5 is born by collaboration with sony and epic right?? Do you think sony doesn't have similar engine like UE5?? I think they do. UE5 need more time because it has to run across all platforms, sony doesn't. Think about it.
I dont know what to say. I am not a MS fanboy. I couldnt care less about what MS is doing this even if i tried. they mean less to me than Nintendo and thats saying something.

And Demon Souls looked that great because of the GPU, not because of the SSD. SSD is supposed to help move traffic into the vram, but the vram has a fixed 448 gbps budget that will be used by the GPU to render the levels. Demon Souls will never be the game that will look better because of the SSD and I/O. you are thinking of larger more open world games that use streaming assets as you traverse through the area.

Games like spiderman are supposed to benefit from this but again, we have not seen this in the remaster they have built. it looks virtually identical.

I can promise you, when it comes to marketing, these companies are trying to find any edge they can. no matter how minor. you have seen nothing but loading talk when it comes to sony selling you the ssd. if there was anything more to it than loading, i can assure you Bluepoint wouldve talked about it a month before launch.

nah, my entire point is that the ssd stuff isnt jumping out at you. the returns arent worth the large investment Cerny made putting the ssd over a bigger gpu.

I dont know what to say. I am not a MS fanboy. I couldnt care less about what MS is doing this even if i tried. they mean less to me than Nintendo and thats saying something.

And Demon Souls looked that great because of the GPU, not because of the SSD. SSD is supposed to help move traffic into the vram, but the vram has a fixed 448 gbps budget that will be used by the GPU to render the levels. Demon Souls will never be the game that will look better because of the SSD and I/O. you are thinking of larger more open world games that use streaming assets as you traverse through the area.

Games like spiderman are supposed to benefit from this but again, we have not seen this in the remaster they have built. it looks virtually identical.

I can promise you, when it comes to marketing, these companies are trying to find any edge they can. no matter how minor. you have seen nothing but loading talk when it comes to sony selling you the ssd. if there was anything more to it than loading, i can assure you Bluepoint wouldve talked about it a month before launch.
Again, we don't know that. Just because a developer hasn't talked about it doesn't mean it proves your theory.

That screenshot is definitely FUD but some Youtubers did comment and notice that the Series X console gets significantly hot, crispy hot even to the touch, and I wouldn't be surprised either. They don't want to comment further due to NDA. I was commenting on this on another thread a few days ago. The non-removable stand on the Series X cock blocks a bunch of the holes meant for cooling and the holes on the ports-side.....like half of them are blocked for some reason too. Add to that the few centimeter the stand raises it from + the way the internals are aligned and yeah.... It's not an optimal design for small reasons that I don't understand how they overlooked.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Now THAT looks more legitimate if anything. Having it take a few seconds, and that being to display the fancy swooshing and logo...seems more like what I'd expect to see from this system. We will see how it turns out. The only thing about this one that has me questioning it about is that spiral swirly pattern on the screen. Seems a TAD busy...but then again, it is still flowing and relaxing type of a thing so it could be legit. Show us, Sony! :)

I hope they have animated themes akin to PS4 versions. My favorite theme is “Rectangular” for PS4:

Please Sony....anything like it for PS5 would be perfect for me.

Last edited:
That video is definitely FUD but some youtubers did comment and notice that the Series X console gets significantly hot, crispy hot even to the touch, and I wouldn't be surprised either. I was commenting on this on another thread a few days ago. The non-removable stand on the Series X cock blocks a bunch of the holes meant for cooling and the holes on the ports-side.....like half of them are blocked for some reason too. It's not an optimal design for small reasons that I don't understand how they overlooked.
Saw that too, here's the clip

travisktl

Miles Morales is obviously just a tweaked version of the PS4 engine. Give it some time, man. It’s the same story every time a new console launches. The console exclusive games push tech a bit more and are eye candy, while the cross-gen games benefit a bit from the hardware, but mainly look the same. It always takes 2-3 years for things to start fully transitioning to the new console, and for developers to experiment and get the hang of the new hardware.

In the end, does it really matter if the SSD isn’t being used to it’s max potential right this moment? The launch lineup we’re getting is incredible. We’re getting some amazing looking, playing, and sounding games, and a crazy powerful console for the fraction of a cost of what it would cost to build a comparable PC. If it all ends up being marketing bs and the SSD still isn’t being utilized in the way Cerny talked about in a few years, then complain about it. We’re still six weeks out from launch, and haven’t even seen what these consoles can really do yet.

vpance

That screenshot is definitely FUD but some Youtubers did comment and notice that the Series X console gets significantly hot, crispy hot even to the touch, and I wouldn't be surprised either. They don't want to comment further due to NDA. I was commenting on this on another thread a few days ago. The non-removable stand on the Series X cock blocks a bunch of the holes meant for cooling and the holes on the ports-side.....like half of them are blocked for some reason too. Add to that the few centimeter the stand raises it from + the way the internals are aligned and yeah.... It's not an optimal design for small reasons that I don't understand how they overlooked.

Wonder if it's gonna be like the infamous trash can Mac Pro which was silent but ran very hot.

New-Apple-mac-pro-Fan.jpg

Last edited:

pasterpl

Saw that too, here's the clip

"The entire thing is a little toasty". When everything gets hot and spreads, eventually that plug-in SSD performing no function at all other than for plug-and-play show, does too.

watched 3 times, they are definately talking about the expansion card

Sinthor

Gold Member

Well, then you're going to have to show how that bigger GPU is making things "jump out at you," right? Because I'm not seeing that either. Seriously bro...you need to wait a bit. Also, I don't see how you can see stuff like Demon's Souls and Horizon and NOT be impressed with this coming generation. But...it's all subjective, it's cool. I just think you're spinning in circles a bit and unnecessarily. You're not seeing anything jump out...what are you looking for? You don't know, but you're just not seeing it. Hey, get the console now or get it later, it's all good. Just think you're kind of going in circles and you seem to be pulling the fire alarm a bit throughout the past months in cases where we just don't have information.

Answer me this: Let's say you're fears are realized and there is ZERO benefit to the SSD other than fast loading times. Say PS5 games load up in 1-2 seconds versus 5-10 on the XSX. And let's say that BIG GPU advantage means that the kind of difference seen is say an XSX game runs at 1440p and the PS5 game runs at 1300 (for arguments sake). Is that the kind of difference that would have made going for a bigger GPU "worth it" as opposed to having the SSD? Because if that's the kind of difference we'll see, IMHO, the only VISIBLE difference will be in the PS5's favor and what the uneducated consumer will see is one console visibly "faster" than the other. So...even in the worst case scenario, again, IMHO, it seems like the right move from the marketing perspective if nothing else.

But this is pretty much academic, because we SAW the advantage the SSD will give the PS5 in the UE5 demo. 3rd party engine that can pulli in much higher quality assets ON THE FLY due to the speed of the I/O. Of course at least some 3rd parties will use that to their advantage and CERTAINLY the Sony 1st party offerings will! Just a thought.

Garani

He's parodying Yonyeah's video. He souns pretty passive-aggressive to me though, he might be legitimately pissed at other youtube personalities receiving the console and not him.

Well, maybe not pissed pissed, but definitely annoyed.

I have a feeling why he did though...Should be an interesting review....

SPOILER: This is what he really has at hand :D Watch the short clip, it's hilarious!

S3rXEBp.png

I think they might release him from jail...He might jest, but something tells me he wants MS to send him one.....Haha..

Of course he does! He makes a living out of streaming. If he gets an XBox he could review it and get more subs.

Damn, Joe went waaay back. Very funny. That interview really made Maj. N, and MS, look dopey AF. That whole launch was a shit show.

Yeah. He stressed it during the clip.

TheFarter

Banned
That's not really good is it, he's not saying its warm, he is saying its super hot.

Maybe i am confused i thought ssd don't get hot because it's not made of moveable parts, did i get that part wrong?

either way that is a bad look when a guy is shaking his hand and calling it toasty when grabbing it out of its slot.
Luckily you won't have one that will overheat on you.

sircaw

Banned

Full video timestamped. When he says "the entire thing gets toasty" he gestures for the whole console and quickly resorts to NDA maybe not allowing that as a subject of discussion. On those grainy bootlegs you can't see it well.

yer he is talking about the console.

It's on fire lol, better unplug that thing before he goes to bed.

Last edited:
SSDs get incredibly hot, like at least 50 degrees celsius.

This is my cache drive, and it is mostly idle:

Qx9SJH8.png
Actually, 50 Celsius is pretty chilly considering most SSD's optimal operating temperatures is 0-70 Celsius. Another interesting thing about SSD's is that the NAND flash inside them operates better at higher temperatures and allows electrons to flow them more easier than in colder temperatures because every time you write to an SSD you damage the NAND flash. But it is recommended to not go to either extremes.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That's not really good is it, he's not saying its warm, he is saying its super hot.

Maybe i am confused i thought ssd don't get hot because it's not made of moveable parts, did i get that part wrong?

either way that is a bad look when a guy is shaking his hand and calling it toasty when grabbing it out of its slot.

NVMe drives get hot to the touch, 105 - 110 degrees on the chips is normal, with a heatsink typically being a bit hotter. Enough to give you a burning sensation. Some of the newer drives can hit 150 degrees under heavy load, these aren't cool devices.

Hey, here's a "secret" website that list every SSD available on the market right now. Keep an eye on this website for compatible SSD's for PS5. I would imagine that any SSD with a read speed of 5000 MB/s isn't enough for the PS5.

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

DaGwaphics

Full video timestamped. When he says "the entire thing gets toasty" he gestures for the whole console, about the console being pre-release hardware and quickly points to NDA maybe not allowing that as a subject of discussion. On those grainy bootlegs you can't see it well.

What modern console doesn't feel hot after use? My entire X1 VCR is roasting after its been on for a while, even if it is sitting on the menu. Likewise, I could boil eggs on my PS4 slim, especially the back corner.

Garani

What's on those hard drives Mr. Anime Avatar...

Since it's fully accessible by the family, lots and lots of family clips and the whole family email server since ages, plus a few low performance VMs.

Actually since Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and a pletora of anime streaming sites came along, there is no need to download anything anymore.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sounds like Sony was right to go ham on the cooling.

Everything I've seen points to the XSX being nice and quiet, so it sounds like they got the cooling right. If there were heat issues on the silicone the fan would crank up and the unit wouldn't be quiet.

TBiddy

I love that we have a hardware engineer here on Gaf, more capable than the entire team at Microsoft.

You’ve got to be kidding.

Last edited:

saintjules

Is there a possibility from either Console the ability to do other things while backing up games? Maybe do it in background while playing a game?

Last edited:
People are overthinking this, electronic devices get hot, sometimes very hot (phone, tablets, laptops etc.), if the temperatures are within the range that the hardware was designed for, it is not a problem and no reason for concern

Is it normal for consoles in standby to get really really hot requiring cooling? To the point where it feels really hot, even after being disconnected? PS4 on standby is as cold as a brick, and that is way more compact than this (including the slim).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom