• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely wouldn't want to be the guy that has to listen to reports. Imagine the number of people you have to listen to that get reports because they have music in the background?
I don’t think they will waste much time with that, if it’s difficult to understand they’ll just flag it as inaudible and moderate with any other evidence provided.

Lysandros

'a lot'

Averages around 20% advantage when calculating CU's and rasterization's.

At 3% you'll be waiting for a while.

37% of the RAM is slower on Series X.

In your head as you conveniently ignored the biggest difference by far between both consoles aka the 100%+ speed difference between the SSD's.

Confirmed devs have said this is the closest two consoles have ever been power wise. I highly suggest you put more focus and energy on the games instead.
Rasterization?.. PS5 has actually a 20% advantage in rasterization.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does your budget touch headphones like Audeze and HifiMan. If it does, i recommend checking headphones from these brands out.
Edit: They're some of the only brands that produce really high quality open back headphones, ideal for audio production.

Sounds cool!

hifiman.jpg

3athg7.jpg

gaf1.jpg

/s

Thanks for the details!

Last edited:
Does your budget touch headphones like Audeze and HifiMan. If it does, i recommend checking headphones from these brands out.
Edit: They're some of the only brands that produce really high quality open back headphones, ideal for audio production.
I'm rocking the LCD 2C's and have a few hifiman's. I'll only use planar magnetics and open backs. Audio is a very expensive realm.

PaintTinJr

It just degrades the whole package and experience of a 4k console. Why not make the UI render att 480p if it doesn't matter, should free up even more RAM, right? To me it's often the little details that make the difference between a good product and a great product.
Your 480p question maybe highlights a lot of the reasoning, because it isn't a hd or hd-ready resolution. It is an EDTV resolution, so consoles that only have hdmi for guaranteed hd-ready or better resolutions don't need to support EDTV - which is less than 720p.

So if we then ask: "well why not just do 720p, then? ". I would speculate that 1080p looks big enough (text scaling) even on the smallest screen option, because it is a super sample, it looks more detailed on hd-ready screens, and going the other way scales brilliantly on the vast majority of budget branded 4k tvs, too because it is a small 1:4 scaling from high quality starting point, and budget screens are rarely good enough to easily discern 4k and 1080p sources apart at regular viewing distances IMHO.

As for 1080p not being good enough, IMHO it is certainly good enough with the PS3 or PS4 UI, so if it isn't good enough with XsX/Xss/X1X/X1s then I suspect that's more to do with the UI, and not the resolution.

Why Xbox has stuck to 1080p for the UI I would speculate is actually to do with shared UI development with Windows 10. Unlike the PS4/X1 onwards that require encrypted hdmi connections that provide the consoles with EDiD info that contains resolution capabilities and the screen size to allow UI text scaling to be set appropriately, Whereas with Win10 PCs they still have to work with legacy unencrypted monitor connections that may not provide accurate or complete EDID info through all connection types, which can mess up the default windows 10 resolution selection - and potentially damage some monitors if the selected timings were out of range - as a result of the UI selecting a 4K resolution beyond that TV input's capabilities.

Elog

Here one has a calm Friday dinner and then ones hobby is on fire when sitting down by the computer...

KatCorgi and LeviathanGamer are very reliable sources of information. I need to digest this. Please note that this is not at all about whether the XSX GPU is RDNA2 - it is - RDNA2 is about power efficiency spec and microfab node.

This particular discussion is about feature sets (which in turn is about transistor layout). If accurate, this information would explain a lot. The only reason I see for MS to choose this mix of features is easy BC but maybe I am missing something. It would put some question marks up in the air regarding GPU efficiency (i.e. actual TFLOP performance compared to theoretical TFLOP peak).

Last edited:
Where did they state that?
Backward compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X and S, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the consoles for each and every backward compatible game.

Maybe they mean something different. But they seem to compare it to sony's compatibility boost mode, saying it's not like that it uses the full power of the console and is native code.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but when I hear a code runs natively, that tends to mean that it is not emulation.

Elog

Maybe they mean something different. But they seem to compare it to sony's compatibility boost mode, saying it's not like that it uses the full power of the console and is native code.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but when I hear a code runs natively, that tends to mean that it is not emulation.

I agree. And that in turn puts a lot of boundary conditions on the hardware - it cannot deviate along certain specific dimensions or that is not possible.

The more I think about it - the KatCorgi and LeviathanGamer points today make a lot of sense in the BC context. To achieve non-emulated BC you need to keep a lot of the old transistor layout.

Axonometri

PS5 teardown in depth(Japanese)
https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/

Some intesting point
-Sony used latest CAE technology to design the airflow inside PS5
-Chimney effect is at the measurement error level
-SSD slot can accept <8mm tall heatsink
-2 exhaust holes are provided for SSD slot, take the heat away by negative pressure
-not recommended to use heatsink that are high enough to touch the metal cover

Also ps5 DE is 0.95 x the volume of XSX (smaller but different shape.). Ps5 disk is 5 % bigger by volume.
Here is my idea on this. I'm going to install the SSD as normal (screwed down) and leave the cover off. There should be sufficient air movement coming from the intake of the fan. I of course will check my idea when I have it in hand. That might even allow a much taller sink.

Oh man, I don't think this could be a good idea
In an interview with Kotaku, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer commented on the possibility of Halo Infinite's campaign and multiplayer modes being released at different times if one of them is finished before the other. He had this to say on the matter:

"Bonnie (referring to Bonnie Ross, founder and Head of 343 Industries) and the team will go drive those decisions," Spencer said. "But I think we want to make sure people feel like they have a Halo experience. I think we can look at options like that." According to Kotaku, Spencer continued by highlighting that this type of approach would have to factor in Halo Infinite's structure and storytelling strategy. "So, yeah, I think that's something to think about, but we want to make sure we do it right," he concluded.

Last edited:
That's exactly the type of FUD that was being spread by some Xbox guys on twitter about PS5. It's just silly.
Last year it seems there were rumors xbox was actually going to go with gcn.
What do you think the next consoles will have? Is MS really going with Vega as recent rumors suggest, while Sony goes with Navi? What do you expect TFLOPS and prices to be?
I agree. And that in turn puts a lot of boundary conditions on the hardware - it cannot deviate along certain specific dimensions or that is not possible.

The more I think about it - the KatCorgi and LeviathanGamer points today make a lot of sense in the BC context. To achieve non-emulated BC you need to keep a lot of the old transistor layout.
Last year it seems there were rumors xbox was actually going to go with gcn.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Must be a bit depressing being and working at Microsoft.
Did you noticed?
Seeing that Sony would show the PS5's interface Microsoft gave he order to the partners to release their "pre-review" of the SeX immediately after. The result? All the videos about the SeX have low views while Sony's video in english on the main channel is racing to 3 million views in just 5 hours!

One advantage of what Sony is doing is that, when something finally comes out it becomes a topic for discussion and everyone points "oh, look at the hype".

Its such a poor strategy from Microsoft IMO.

I think of it as operation shocked and react. Microsoft get surprised, like we all are when Sony drops something and and springs into action..... 'Quick, remind them were still here.'

Either some random diss about power despite showing nothing that displays it or a look at me post, Greenberg often the culprit.

As soon as Sony speaks xbox usually always chirps up. Makes them seem desperate to me. They'd be far better following their own path.

It shows confidence in your strategy and product to do what sony is doing, not to blurt out stuff constantly. To be able to masterfully build hype when people are dying for info, knowing it could create anger and annoyance from fans. It was a risk, but they believed in it and its had unbelievable results. Its frustrating waiting but its been like being hooked needing that next hit, from just enough info to excite but leave you wanting more.

Sony has just been on another level this time.

8.4 million views on their UI video now.

vpance

PS5 teardown in depth(Japanese)
https://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999027/20201016035/

Some intesting point
-Sony used latest CAE technology to design the airflow inside PS5
-Chimney effect is at the measurement error level
-SSD slot can accept <8mm tall heatsink
-2 exhaust holes are provided for SSD slot, take the heat away by negative pressure
-not recommended to use heatsink that are high enough to touch the metal cover

Also ps5 DE is 0.95 x the volume of XSX (smaller but different shape.). Ps5 disk is 5 % bigger by volume.

Otori confirms the console cools at the same efficiency horizontally or vertically. But he prefers it vertical because of the logo placement, lol.

Worth reading the translation in full. Some other interesting parts in there for tech minded people.

Why did you stick to using such a difficult material for more than two years?

Mr. Otori: The main reason is cost. The standard for thermal design is to spend money near the heat source. As an analogy to general thermal design, let's say you have a system cooling structure that costs 10 yen for a TIM and 1000 yen for a heat sink. If you change to a TIM of 100 yen here, you can get the same cooling effect even if you use a heat sink of 500 yen. In other words, the total cost can be reduced.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Nasjsrs.png

anyone have wtf this is?
found it in pdf wellgamer789 wellgamer789 linked.
it has ethernet port and usb-c cable.

The model number is inline with it being a test kit which is usually a retail console with dev software installed. Visually the only difference is it literally says 'Test' on the back:

Dwnv27RXcAApuzb.jpg

If I was to guess....It might be the case that instead of making a complete retail PS5 test kit they decided just to supply parts like the retail SSD in that box that connects to the dev kit for testing? Or something along those lines? It is definitely something different for sure.

PaintTinJr

If anyone wants to read through 53 tweets 🤣

I read through them, and it is FUD (IMHO), because the premise of the whole discussion is that XsS won't holdback development this gen by using an old game (shadow fall) on UE3.5 with UE4 graphics addons slides (so development start at least 9years ago) as representative of all games, now and future. He makes no mention of clipmaps which is the origin technology for streamed graphics engines and fundamental to his registers to HDD data comments. And there is no mention about UE5 tech, how the Xss SSD will workout with nanite/lumen, so he wasn't very technical or thorough or relevant to the contemporary tech at all IMHO.

IMHO The simple question for anyone saying that the Xss won't hold back cross platform development this gen is: why did xbox even do an XsX then? If the Xss at 1080p/900p can hold its own with the PS5, why not just deliver a cheaper box that fits with most of the TVs in the world? They can always do an XsX as a mid-gen refresh with 16TF - when 4k TVs have a wider global install base for all gamers - if that statement was true and they actually believed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom