• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowcry

62º In the air outlet with 21º room temperature? Holy Shit, So the heatsink that will be close to 70º? and the Core close to 80 ?? Lol enters within the fringe band of the welds.

I hope that PS5 at the exit is not 62, I would expect 62 in the heatsink and 70º in the core glued to the lid. In case it exceeds 77º in the core, I recommend taking a 3-year insurance and changing it for the midgen ps5pro as soon as you can.

Definitely 62º at the start is a very high mark. I hope we can see the review later with the console open. And being able to measure in the core.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

62º In the air outlet? So the heatsink that will be close to 70º? and the Core close to 80 ?? Lol enters within the fringe band of the welds.

Say what now. Navi's max junction temperature is 110 degrees. Most CPUs won't even throttle until they hit 100, GPU package temps can slip into the 90s without issue, you must really freak at CPUID output. And again, the Pro can hit 66 or 67 out the vent without an issue to the silicone or board, while gaming laptops live with output air in the mid 70s. LOL

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well if PS5 loads in 2 seconds as it can do (like they say on kena for example and thats cold boot) and xbox is upto 15 seconds on dirt, that would be a massive lead. 7.5 times faster.

Imagine if that margin was in streaming too. Thats a huge advantage.

I think they will be a little closer but still.

7.5x faster sounds small. Call it 650% faster or 750% as fast. :messenger_sunglasses:

J_Gamer.exe

So with a little over 3 weeks until launch there not that many days left to show all the things off we havent seen. Even if in UK launch is later you'd want to show this before US release date.

I'd expect to see..

More gameplay of release titles. Like more demon souls.

I want to see destruction all-stars gameplay.

Loading times demos.

BC demonstrations.

Announcing of patched games on PS5 with 4k60 like Ghost and last of us 2 and videos showing it guess could be part of the bc bit.

More UI features and guide.

Possible hotchips presentation or something maybe after rdna2 reveal.

Any surprise info they may have been keeping.

Sure there is more to add to this.

But if you think they want to spread these things out and also avoid other key dates like rdna2 reveal and xbox launch etc there's actually not that many days left.

I would expect the info to keep ramping up too.

Nowcry

Say what now. Navi's max junction temperature is 110 degrees. Most CPUs won't even throttle until they hit 100, GPU package temps can slip into the 90s without issue, you must really freak at CPUID output. And again, the Pro can hit 66 or 67 out the vent without an issue to the silicone or board, while gaming laptops live with output air in the mid 70s. LOL

It is the welds not the core that concerns me.

Lead-free solders have an external temperature close to 88ºC real, but above 80ºC more or less you begin to suffer. After many cycles these can break and need a reballing, of course the SOC will resist but that will not prevent it from breaking.

I believed 2 days ago that comparing yourself to PS4 pro or PS4 was a bad thing and had bad temperatures. Now it seems that it is not so bad. I honestly don't like to exceed 80º in the core.

I hope that soon we can see it with the console open. IF it does not exceed 77º in the core I would be calm and I say this as much as for PS5 as for SX without distinction.

PD:
Gamer laptops are not very durable xD. Many bad experiences on the internet with HP Omen and other brands that exceed 90º running. It is better not to mention them here.

People doing undervolt to avoid those temperatures all over YouTube.

But indeed PS4 pro seems to be fine, however I would not bet that the pro can last 7 years in a row sincerely giving it a shot.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It is the welds not the core that concerns me.

Lead-free solders have an external temperature close to 88ºC real, but above 80ºC more or less you begin to suffer. After many cycles these can break and need a reballing, of course the SOC will resist but that will not prevent it from breaking.

I believed 2 days ago that comparing yourself to PS4 pro or PS4 was a bad thing and had bad temperatures. Now it seems that it is not so bad. I honestly don't like to exceed 80º in the core.

I hope that soon we can see it with the console open. IF it does not exceed 77º in the core I would be calm and I say this as much as for PS5 as for SX without distinction.

You've got me wrong, I never said the PS4 had bad temps, I've routinely pointed out that the systems were reliable even with the temps they hit. They don't seem to be melting just yet.

The lead-free solder really isn't an issue now, a much better set can be achieved during production than in the very early days. And in the Case of XSX, they have that board nailed down to that metal frame, there will be no board flex. Obviously still some ghosts from the past influencing decisions there.

Side note, the X1 was designed to run at around 70 to 75 degrees (according to GamingNexus https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3117-xbox-one-x-fps-benchmarks-destiny2-cod-ww2-assassins-creed ) on the CPU with exhaust air that could top 60 degrees. The better your cooler pulls heat from the chip, the lower the delta between CPU running temps and exhaust air in a case with strict airflow (console, laptop, GPU with blower).

Last edited:

BatSu

ED9.gif

Looks like he used the software with the biggest power draw he had available to him. He even mentions that future software will probably tax the system more, hence the larger PSU included over the 1X. In a game that uses 240 or 250 watts from the wall, I'd assume the unit is a little hotter or temps are about the same but the fan isn't at such a quiet setting (more likely).
Is not probably, will do.

If the video tiles BC power consume/thermal I will okay but this numbers are a joke is like if run Skyrim
in my GTX 1080 in order to stress it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
62º In the air outlet with 21º room temperature? Holy Shit, So the heatsink that will be close to 70º? and the Core close to 80 ?? Lol enters within the fringe band of the welds.

I hope that PS5 at the exit is not 62, I would expect 62 in the heatsink and 70º in the core glued to the lid. In case it exceeds 77º in the core, I recommend taking a 3-year insurance and changing it for the midgen ps5pro as soon as you can.

Definitely 62º at the start is a very high mark. I hope we can see the review later with the console open. And being able to measure in the core.
AMD GPUs can run at like 90C safely..

Hell the 5700XT can run at like 110C.

edit: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...temps-are-normal-for-amds-radeon-5700-5700-xt

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is not probably, will do.

If the video tiles BC power consume/thermal I will okay but this numbers are a joke is like if run Skyrim
in my GTX 1080 in order to stress it.

You can basically fry a card on an uncapped game menu. Old software can be a great heat test for a GPU, let that old code run at 200fps, utilization will probably be higher than new software that way. But I get what you are saying.

At any rate, I doubt we see games that use more than 240 or 250 on a box with a 315watt psu. Since the machine is whisper quiet at 210, it should cope.

Nowcry

You've got me wrong, I never said the PS4 had bad temps, I've routinely pointed out that the systems were reliable even with the temps they hit. They don't seem to be melting just yet.

The lead-free solder really isn't an issue now, a much better set can be achieved during production than in the very early days. And in the Case of XSX, they have that board nailed down to that metal frame, there will be no board flex. Obviously still some ghosts from the past influencing decisions there.

Side note, the X1 was designed to run at around 70 to 75 degrees (according to GamingNexus https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3117-xbox-one-x-fps-benchmarks-destiny2-cod-ww2-assassins-creed ) on the CPU with exhaust air that could top 60 degrees. The better your cooler pulls heat from the chip, the lower the delta between CPU running temps and exhaust air in a case with strict airflow (console, laptop, GPU with blower).

62 ºC at the start offers 75ºC in the core, I would be calm with that. I hope this time is the same.

Last edited:

Elog

I am sorry that I cannot let go of the whole transistor layout of the CUs in RDNA2 topic. I just went back to the AMD Financial Analyst Day in March 2020. AMD explicitly states on the RDNA2 slide that RDNA2 has an increased IPC over RDNA1.

This confuses me since the XSX CUs have 7 instructions/clk just like RDNA1. (LeviathanGamer goes into some detail regarding that vis-a-vis the RDNA1 white paper and concludes that the XSX has the same IPC on the CU level as RDNA1)

And I know - we will be much more knowledgable in a few more days.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Screenshot-20200319-035427-Samsung-Internet-2.jpg

No offense but this "load stuff as you turn round" is becoming a meme and it's going to bite on the ass. Try taking 1 (virtual) step back and to the left in the scene he just described - now both assets are in close view .. and you don't have the memory to do it .. this isn't going to work.
Was digging through Gaf and found this, the original tweet aged really well, however the dudes analysis below did not lol

DaGwaphics

62 ºC at the start offers 75ºC in the core, I would be calm with that. I hope this time is the same.

Agreed, though they could go a little hotter like the Pro did (with some articles figuring CPU package temperature can hit 85 during normal use) and still be fine.

I'm fine with the result DF showed since the cooling was not working at max capacity, that leaves room for the future. If the system was passing out trying to keep G5 running, that would be a problem.

You can basically fry a card on an uncapped game menu. Old software can be a great heat test for a GPU, let that old code run at 200fps, utilization will probably be higher than new software that way. But I get what you are saying.

At any rate, I doubt we see games that use more than 240 or 250 on a box with a 315watt psu. Since the machine is whisper quiet at 210, it should cope.
Not you cannot, usually the engine limit the frames, see Skyrim running in a PC with a gtx 1080 you will understand my point.

The old software is not using all the features in your gpu/cpu that without mention all the optimization done in order to reach
high utilization in each part of your system, that is what can stress your system.

I don't think XSX will have problem of overheating and I still thinking if I was in the work or even in a university and someone asked me to
stress some GPU/CPU I will not do a BC test and think was a good test.

I don't know how much power Xbox have for each USB but I think that console can easily go above 210 plus that room temperature is not
something we can call hot.

Last edited:
No idea. Maybe another purchase?

I'll just go out on a limb and quote my friend from during the Bethesda thing(then rumors of Sega)

"We can't really compete, so... we'll just fucking buy everybody. Microsoft."

Lol who knows though.
These are coordinates, and the end destination is somewhere in New Zealand.

J_Gamer.exe

I am sorry that I cannot let go of the whole transistor layout of the CUs in RDNA2 topic. I just went back to the AMD Financial Analyst Day in March 2020. AMD explicitly states on the RDNA2 slide that RDNA2 has an increased IPC over RDNA1.

This confuses me since the XSX CUs have 7 instructions/clk just like RDNA1. (LeviathanGamer goes into some detail regarding that vis-a-vis the RDNA1 white paper and concludes that the XSX has the same IPC on the CU level as RDNA1)

And I know - we will be much more knowledgable in a few more days.

Also why is xbox allowed to show off their chip etc when rdna2 is under nda.

No point having an nda if its just shown even if some was kept back.

Just adds fuel to the fire and also PS5 has not shown a similar presentation.

I dont know but connecting the dots seems to lead to the fact I think there's something to all this.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Also why is xbox allowed to show off their chip etc when rdna2 is under nda.

No point having an nda if its just shown even if some was kept back.

Just adds fuel to the fire and also PS5 has not shown a similar presentation.

I dont know but connecting the dots seems to lead to the fact I think there's something to all this.

you just need to accept that Ps5 is Gcn 0.5. There is nothing to be done.

Nowcry

Agreed, though they could go a little hotter like the Pro did (with some articles figuring CPU package temperature can hit 85 during normal use) and still be fine.

I'm fine with the result DF showed since the cooling was not working at max capacity, that leaves room for the future. If the system was passing out trying to keep G5 running, that would be a problem.

I would not like it would be at all to exceed 80º with the ambient temperature at 21º in a BC game. Since even if it has a patch and the GPU is more or less 100% the CPU will be quite low since Jaguar is much lower and we also have that XVA and compression is not working.

In case of putting a next gen game that uses XVA + 100% CPU + 100% GPU could it reach 90º ?? Simply above 90º the welds will break in 3-4 years. I prefer durable products even if they are more expensive. And in summer?

I don't like going above 80º, my 1080Ti doesn't go above 71º and my 580 never went above 80º and both work well. My old AMD GPU went above 90º and just died at 2 years and 3 months. And I have several friends with a current Omen that exceeds 90º that they have already had to use in SAT.

You can say that it is fine but above 80º or jokingly, if it surpasses them make sure of 3 years of guarantee and when the midgen comes out try to change to this. Either PS5 or SX or PC GPU or whatever you want.

Anyway, it will be me that I am very maniacal, all my GPUs I modify the curve so that above 72º it begins to rise until it is 100% at 77º and normally they are usually at 63º-67º in summer, although it looks like an airport. Better noise than broken, but in this way I have not broken any and I will not trust any product that has those temps. Even if it is built by Elon Musk himself

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Why did Sony coat the heatsink with "Sliver"?

Liquid metal, like Gallium, could affect certain metals. So they coated it with silver just around the APU area IIRC:

What would Gallium do to Aluminium (aka aluminum)?

More into it:

Another intelligent solution from Mr. Yasuhiro Ootori and Sony.

What could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom