• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shio

Well the Pro definitely a few logos (“Sony”, “PS4” and “PS”):

f6928db5-93a4-4d4a-8fd8-fd723671cd3a_1.b18a4a6bdfaf618804d4c6f875c16ff5.jpeg
ah i missed the one at the front, just was comparing the logo on the side to the logo on the PS5 side, as they are similar, not like the "PLaystation 3" across the side of the PS3 or the "PS2" on the side of the ps2.

mejin

It depends, Xbox Game Studios needs to prove themselves. Yes, they have State of Decay, they have Forza, they have Halo in the works but other games like Fable, Hellblade and whatever The Initiave is working on are the projects everybody will be keeping an eye on. The ones that can end the "Xbox has no games" narrative. Bacause let's be honest, they have a lot of games but the issue is none of those games cause the same impact as Nintendo or Sony games do.

as long as xboys wait for a counter to the biggest games of Sony WWS or Nintendo they will always be disappointed in the end.

THE:MILKMAN

It’s happening

John is such a nice guy. Unfortunately the Wild West that is the internet is going to explode when they see most launch window games don't look much different. This is part of what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was talking about last night I guess. This will probably be especially bad for XSX with such a big push about hardware power along with the the most vocal and hardcore of their fans shouting it from the rooftops, the reality will come up somewhat short in the short-term.

What's happening? Are you implying that they got a PS5?

Like I said after DF's stream where they basically told us they still didn't have a PS5, I knew they would be getting at least one PS5 for game review purposes at the end of October 2-3 weeks before launch. Thinking about it, it would have been most odd if they couldn't put out reviews on DF/Eurogamer until a week or two after launch if they had to source their own units like all of us.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

John is such a nice guy. Unfortunately the Wild West that is the internet is going to explode when they see most launch window games don't look much different. This is part of what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was talking about last night I guess. This will probably be especially bad for XSX with such a big push about hardware power along with the the most vocal and hardcore of their fans shouting it from the rooftops, the reality will come up somewhat short in the short-term.

I always try to not look too harshly on a lot of the Xbox fanbase, because they get fed a lot of bullshit from Microsoft that they rightly defend as fans of the platform. Then those big words from Microsoft turn out to be just a load of hot air, and the fans end up looking stupid to everyone else.

I level my entire criticism when this happens at Microsoft's door.

And when we get games looking pretty much identical on both platforms, it's them I'll try to lambast and criticise, not the fans going to bat for them based on their lies and marketing bull.

Mahavastu

Gamers get pissy at forced ads: "Hmmmm, we swear we didn't mean it. Something must have went wrong with the game code when we pressed it to discs"
And the answer of 2K was more or less "we are sorry, the ads are shown NOW, now when the game is still sold full price and people might buy it."
It looks it was always planned to show ads later in time...

I also think the advertising can be controlled remotly. Nothing to do with the game code itself.

ToadMan

Well, only Godfall and Demon Souls Remake are next-gen only games taking full advantage of the hardware so that’s expected from the rest.

Indeed. Sony at least has succeeded making a cross platform Spider man game that is still a next gen showcase.

They’ve achieved scalability across gens - great for consumers of their hardware not to have their experiences held back by last gen.

BigLee74

And when we get games looking pretty much identical on both platforms, it's them I'll try to lambast and criticise, not the fans going to bat for them based on their lies and marketing bull.

Behave, man.

Its 12 TF v 10 TF. Not 12 TF v 2 TF. Multiplat games ARE gonna look and behave the same until these machines are pushed hard. Then you will likely see the XSX hold its framerate/resolution longer whilst the PS5 starts dipping.

It'll probably be mid gen before we start seeing such behaviour though.

In the meantime, both products will be bringing stuff to the party that should keep their respective fans happy, without the need to go to town on their rivals.

Although, going by this forum, you would think that going to town on the rival platform is the only thing that matters!

THE:MILKMAN

I always try to not look too harshly on a lot of the Xbox fanbase, because they get fed a lot of bullshit from Microsoft that they rightly defend as fans of the platform. Then those big words from Microsoft turn out to be just a load of hot air, and the fans end up looking stupid to everyone else.

I level my entire criticism when this happens at Microsoft's door.

What really boggles my mind is Microsoft have had 5 full years to prep dev kits and especially the dev software but have still come up short. They tend to do this on all their console launches to varying degrees too. No idea why they can't seem to do better in this area?

FunkMiller

What really boggles my mind is Microsoft have had 5 full years to prep dev kits and especially the dev software but have still come up short. They tend to do this on all their console launches to varying degrees too. No idea why they can't seem to do better in this area?

Nope. Not a clue either. Must be a deliberate strategy, as they've had plenty of time to get dev kits to developers to produce at least a couple of launch exclusives. I'll never understand a video game console manufacturer not doing all they can to show off their new hardware.

ToadMan

Behave, man.

Its 12 TF v 10 TF. Not 12 TF v 2 TF. Multiplat games ARE gonna look and behave the same until these machines are pushed hard. Then you will likely see the XSX hold its framerate/resolution longer whilst the PS5 starts dipping.

It'll probably be mid gen before we start seeing such behaviour though.

“Likely”. Such confidence!

Oh and only a 4 year window to achieve it!

I’m sure that will be a comfort to those launch day purchasers patiently counting the months off their calendars waiting for games, to be able see a miniscule FPS/Res difference on a DF graph.

Well, in theory if console launch is flop and that leads into 1-2 years of struggling because of said time that they need to gain experience.

So, if this would lead into really bad sales of consoles, it could lead into less interest into system for devs, which leads into bad generation.

I'm not saying it does happen, just saying that shitty launch + shitty devkits/too late = doesnt help rise the odds to get good gen for gamers.

Then all the weirdness of "1st party games must work on xbox one for 2 years", "games must work on slow PC systems too", "lets do lower budget games for gamepass fillers" and so on, those dont help the gen to be good either.

Maybe it turns good. But we all saw how last 2-3 years of this gen went:

Ps4 got constant flow of great exclusives
Xbone got..? No support?
Don’t worry, Xbox will sort it out, there’s no way they won’t have games this gen. I guess their main issue is management... They are awful at management and Halo Infinite is the proof that they just don’t know the measure between giving full freedom to a studio and enforcing deadlines.

Just note Xbox launching a bunch of smaller games like Battletoads and Bleeding Edge like there’s no console launch this year and then get an empty 1st party lineup for launch. On the other camp, Sony is always scheduling their studios to have a constant flow of games... That way they are launching a Spider-Man game, a Horizon sequel, a God of War game, a Ratchet and Clank game and a bunch of new IP... within 2 years. It gets even more insane when you add TLOU 2 and GoT... It’s management.

Yoboman

GI got a good get with the MM coverage. The game looks phenomenal. Check 15:15 in the video (gif posted by Rolla Rolla in another thread):
SjEVQTa.gif

The city really looks alive. The number of pedestrians occupying the sidewalks is impressive. A decent number of cars too. The reflections are quite impressive IMO. You can see that the pedestrians are reflected in the shop windows, as he swings past. The lighting is also great, as Miles flies in and out of building shadows, with self-shadowing from his limbs. I'm not seeing any pop-in. I see pedestrians filling the sidewalks at least 5 blocks into the distance. Mind you, these are street blocks, and not avenue blocks, but scale-wise, it's still excellent. For all I know, the draw distance on pedestrians might be further than that. It's not easy looping the video on my TV's YT player, at 1/4 speed. I can only jump in 10s increments.

If this is launch Insomniac, I look forward to what mid-to-late gen ND and GG have up their sleeves. That's no knock on Insomniac, as they are a terrific workforce. They produce polished games at PS launches, and are no slouches in the graphics department. I just rate ND and GG a tad bit higher as far as making my eyes widen. However, I don't think any team could be relied on to produce 2 graphical and technical showpieces in the launch window, the way Insomniac has. MM and R&C not only look amazing, but they're both great showcases for the PS5 SSD. MM showing off the more traditional use of that speed, by being able to stream in assets to provide a lush cityscape.
That looks so nice

BigLee74

“Likely”. Such confidence!

Oh and only a 4 year window to achieve it!

I’m sure that will be a comfort to those launch day purchasers patiently counting the months off their calendars waiting for games, to be able see a miniscule FPS/Res difference on a DF graph.

See, there's your problem. Most folk won't care. I personally can't wait to get stuck into Forza Horizon 4 at 4k60, and replay through the Halo campaigns at 4k60 (my TV doesn't support 120fps) and to generally just have games perform well for a change.

In time, the big hitting exclusives will come. I'm personally all for Halo, so it's Infinite I'm most looking forward to.

3 years of Gamepass Ultimate will see me right whilst waiting.

sircaw

Banned
See, there's your problem. Most folk won't care. I personally can't wait to get stuck into Forza Horizon 4 at 4k60, and replay through the Halo campaigns at 4k60 (my TV doesn't support 120fps) and to generally just have games perform well for a change.

In time, the big hitting exclusives will come. I'm personally all for Halo, so it's Infinite I'm most looking forward to.

3 years of Gamepass Ultimate will see me right whilst waiting.

Its good you want to play through your library again, i think it will be nice to see games at their max potential saying that, damn 3 years is a long long time to wait.

Mephisto40

I just hope Sony have done away with needing free space on your hard drive the size of the game just to update it, having to have 150GB of free space just to install a 30GB cod update is ridiculous

The size constraints at the moment really don't matter that much if they've addressed this incredibly stupid issue

Mahavastu

Like I said after DF's stream where they basically told us they still didn't have a PS5, I knew they would be getting at least one PS5 for game review purposes at the end of October 2-3 weeks before launch. Thinking about it, it would have been most odd if they couldn't put out reviews on DF/Eurogamer until a week or two after launch if they had to source their own units like all of us.
Having to buy their own PS5 would be quite bad for them: they are based in Europe, so even if they get the units at launch day, it is one week after the US launch. They would somewhat lag behind with the Playstation reports.

I just hope Sony have done away with needing free space on your hard drive the size of the game just to update it, having to have 150GB of free space just to install a 30GB cod update is ridiculous

The size constraints at the moment really don't matter that much if they've addressed this incredibly stupid issue
Cerny talked about that back in March, it won’t. Patching games on PS5 will be easier and faster, no more copying step which I think was the reason for the mandatory free space.

SSfox

MS brain and focus was fully on gamepass since years already, and still is and will stay that way

Dibils2k

So....What, lets say 3, games would/are you getting release day? I'm still undecided but leaning towards:

• Miles Morales (Looking Noice in 4k/RT)
  • Sackboy (Wife/Kids)
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (Dunno tbh)
Not Really a Godfall/Demon's Souls kinda guy.

Xbox:
  • Dirt 5
  • Bright Memory (depending on reviews)
  • AC:Valhalla
PS5:
  • Miles Morales (by far the game i am most looking forward to playing across both)
  • Demon Souls (i dont like souls games but so tempted by visuals)
  • Godfall or Sackboy
Cyberpunk will be a Xbox purchase but isnt out on Xbox launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom