• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiosks have no airflow. The series X would do the same if it was kept inside a box that could just barely fit the console with the only hole being for the cables. This was bound to happen somewhere
Look at how much airflow the PS5 actually has. Of course it would shut down.

EmAJ7UGXYAENCjL

vkbest

One would think Sony would've designed the Kiosk appropriately to allow enough airflow in to not let this happen though..
Probably behind, but in this pic, they have the kiosk “glued” to the wall

edit: It’s not only the airflow, there is a led behind the console, generating more heat

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If that is a Sony designed kiosk someone should loose their job - must be the store-chain's anti-theft crew that designed that plexi-aquarium.
These things are 100% designed by Sony. That's how branded retail kiosks work in general and they are super picky about making sure stores don't change them.

And it's what all PS4 kisosks basically look like too.. and every other console kiosk.. ever lol

aclar00

You know thats a negative for both platforms right? Not to mention it's something extremely obvious.

My guess is that they want to test out the drives to find out which ones work. Pretty sure at some point Sony will give us a list of compatible drives.

All drives should work out the box though, at least for quick cold storage that you can transfer games from. I would at least like to play PS4 games off of it or temp storage for PS5 games.

HoofHearted

People here are assuming that Sony designs the kiosk where most likely it's the store. The store has no obligation to keep the console in perfect condition.

Well agreed on the store obligation - However - I'd expect Sony marketing would certainly be engaged and in charge of signing off on anything related to their brand, including displays and kiosks.

user1337

All drives should work out the box though, at least for quick cold storage that you can transfer games from. I would at least like to play PS4 games off of it or temp storage for PS5 games.
You can do that with any usb connected drive (HDD, SSD, nvme).

The internal expansion bay is what needs an approved nvme m.2 pcie gen 4 SSD, for which we will just have to wait for the list .

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Well the concern for me would be why does it have that message anway?. I mean do the current gen consoles have a message like that?, i honestly dont know.

Yes, my PS4 Pro has started overheating when staying too long on Menu UI since a few weeks ago, and PS4 Pro has a similar message on a blue screen (with or without stopping the console, depending on the temperature). The thermal paste probably turned bad, the fan is clean.

Doesn't happen outside of menu UI though (fan doesn't run on menu UI for some reason), so not a big deal.

Last edited:

Elog

These things are 100% designed by Sony. That's how branded retail kiosks work in general and they are super picky about making sure stores don't change them.

And it's what all PS4 kisosks basically look like too.. and every other console kiosk.. ever lol

There is no air intake in the picture - zero. There is no chance that was intended if Sony did the box - the store must have done some sort of modification.

vkbest

Yes, my PS4 Pro has started overheating when staying too long on Menu UI since a few weeks ago, and PS4 Pro has a similar message on a blue screen (with or without stopping the console, depending on the temperature). The thermal paste probably turned bad, the fan is clean.

Doesn't happen outside of menu UI though (fan doesn't run on menu UI for some reason), so not a big deal.

That sounds strange. I think you have a problem with your fan, maybe the fan is failing to low rpm

IntentionalPun

There is no air intake in the picture - zero. There is no chance that was intended if Sony did the box - the store must have done some sort of modification.
Every single PS4 kiosk has a similar plastic shell.. and they all have the exact same plastic shell.

This was provided by Sony. Companies do not allow modifications to this sort of thing; it's in the agreement for you to get the kiosk in the first place.

Company reps go around to stores to make sure they are compliant and everything.

Last edited:

Gudji

Well the concern for me would be why does it have that message anway?. I mean do the current gen consoles have a message like that?, i honestly dont know.

Every console has that it's not new. Even recently some XSX consoles got that message.

Every single PS4 kiosk has a similar plastic shell.. and they all have the exact same plastic shell.

This was provided by Sony. Companies do not allow modifications to this sort of thing; it's in the agreement for you to get the kiosk in the first place.

And they had the same problems with the PS4's.

Have fun with the concern though.

Seph-

Having set up those kiosk before. We don't always follow their exact documents. It's kinda silly (since ya know the directions are in the paperwork), that and well they never have any breathing room ever. Obviously concern trolling is already kicking up, but realistically this is just a case of a store doing a half assed setup in a tight space. It represents only the outcome of if you put your system in a closed box. Take it how you want, but no reason to really panic based on this.

IntentionalPun

And they had the same problems with the PS4's.

Have fun with the concern though.

I'm not concerned.

PS5s are going to overheat some time.. just like every electronic device ever.

Sony designs their own kiosks though.. that's just how retail kisosk work.... I'm just pointing out facts. Everyone hear just collectively forgot about every console kiosk they've ever seen because they all have that plastic shell lol

Last edited:
Having set up those kiosk before. We don't always follow their exact documents. It's kinda silly (since ya know the directions are in the paperwork), that and well they never have any breathing room ever. Obviously concern trolling is already kicking up, but realistically this is just a case of a store doing a half assed setup in a tight space. It represents only the outcome of if you put your system in a closed box. Take it how you want, but no reason to really panic based on this.
We are going to have people here soon enough start arguing that Xbox has better kiosks than PlayStation. It was already packaging before this. Before that it was a fucking screwdriver. Hate to see it.

Seph-

We are going to have people here soon enough start arguing that Xbox has better kiosks than PlayStation. It was already packaging before this. Before that it was a fucking screwdriver. Hate to see it.
It's pretty ridiculous tbh. I think we are expecting our setups at work today or by Tuesday. But I can pretty much guarantee (because this is a norm) that the console on display for both consoles will have to be replaced monthly or bi-monthly.

Bryank75

Banned
It's funny how an Xbox fan in Australia (Which is in lockdown) found a display PS5 and it managed to be the only one to overheat so far anywhere.... there are many things about this story that do not add up.

The list of FUD being spread is endless and pathetic, how many times do these things have to be disproved?

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
That sounds strange. I think you have a problem with your fan, maybe the fan is failing to low rpm

Okay. You think it should run at low speed on the menu UI ?

When I open the console, everything looks normal, fan is clean and rotates perfectly, so I don't know. I thought it was the thermal paste, but PS5 is coming soon anyway. ^^

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

It's pretty ridiculous tbh. I think we are expecting our setups at work today or by Tuesday. But I can pretty much guarantee (because this is a norm) that the console on display for both consoles will have to be replaced monthly or bi-monthly.
lol.. jesus... just from overheating issues or over-use in general?

Both, these things practically never get turned off. Most stores have a networks obviously to turn certain power supplies off. But normally just for lights. TVs, PCs and Consoles etc are never really attached to a circuit.
Imagine being constantly turned on and overheating constantly for a month straight. Sounds like a broken console to me.

Stuart360

It's funny how an Xbox fan in Australia (Which is in lockdown) found a display PS5 and it managed to be the only one to overheat so far anywhere.... there are many things about this story that do not add up.

The list of FUD being spread is endless and pathetic, how many times do these things have to be disproved?
Oh Bryank lol. Maybe it was just the casing, and the console had been on for hours. Not everything is Xbot 'boogeymen' coming for ya.

aclar00

You can do that with any usb connected drive (HDD, SSD, nvme).

The internal expansion bay is what needs an approved nvme SSD, for which we will just have to wait for the list .

i know that much, i was just hoping i could poo in an old nvme drive to use for that purpose without having to buy a USB enclosure and take up a port... awsw well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom