• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you care about fidelity and performance doesn't mean you're going to like PC gaming
And to be fair, "caring" doesn't mean actually being fit for it. Some people just do not feel much the difference between 60 hz and 120 hz or 20 ms and 1 ms, even if they understand this stuff. At that point PC gaming is more about friends on Steam, indies, mods and this sort of stuff.

Rob_27

Does anyone's xbox series x make noises with a disc inserted and in instant on mode?

Mine keeps making a buzz every minute or so as if its checking the disc

Edit. It seems to be the external 12TB hard disk attached.. it never did that on the one x that disk noise

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Japanese analysts say that PS5 and Xbox Series may be the last gaming devices from Sony and Microsoft

Japanese Pachter.

LiquidRex

Where's X Fighter when you need him...

Sony have said they're making effort to reduce packaging to help the environment. We should all support this (y)
Where's X Fighter when you need him...

Sony have said they're making effort to reduce packaging to help the environment. We should all support this (y)

Oh I see now. 👏👍

Last edited:
ObUAyjG.jpg
I like the work of John but I mean come on man, both APIs will be better with the pass of the time not only API
present on Xbox Series.

Also because the only people who really can tell you how much an API still in early state are the same who
are working in that, the problem is not like Xbox will say its API is done but could exist a couple of bottlenecks
in their hardware, the probably are saying something like:

"well look DF guys the 12 TF means and the API ... do you want to visit again Redmond? we pay all the expenses
or even better you want another exclusive? :lollipop_Mr_Smith:"

Last edited:

Shmunter

I like the work of John but I mean come on man, both APIs will be better with the pass of the time not only API
present on Xbox Series.

Also because the only people who really can tell you how much an API still in early state are the same who
are working in that, the problem is not like Xbox will say its API is done but could exist a couple of bottlenecks
in its hardware, the probably are saying something like:

"well look DF guys the 12 TF means and the API ... do you want to visit again Redmond? we pay all the expenses
or even better you want another exclusive? :lollipop_Mr_Smith:"
The likely outcome regarding Xbox API’s, there will be improvements, but the ‘scalable’ nature of the API’s ranging from Xbox One VCR to XsX to PC means they will always remain at a generic level without fully tapping into each platform.

Build once, deploy to all systems.

sircaw

Banned
I don’t follow other threads on gaf but I always laugh when I hear this kinda stuff 😂

you can kinda get the gist of the thread by checking my reply

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think Richard was annoyed that Cerny pretty much gave him homework when they talked after the Road to PS5 thing. I think it was with regards to the variable frequency stuff when Cerny recommended some extra reading for Richard to fully understand the concept, and I think Richard responded by doing that benchmark using a RDNA 1 GPU (specifically clocked to ~9tf by the way) in order to disprove Cerny's claims about clock frequency versus CUs. The whole thing felt really petty and awkward.
This. Richard was given an early look at the road to ps5 talk with cerny himself talking him through it. then two weeks later, cerny afforded him another interview and thats when things went sour because Richard refused to believe Cerny regarding the variable clocks. I still remember Cerny straight up getting annoyed after richard went to the developers to try and disprove cerny's claims.

Cerny went pretty much silent after that, and I dont blame him. Richard had no problems just taking MS's word and yet was acting like Bob Woodward when it came to Cerny's presentation. If it wasnt for them getting an early look at the PS UI, i would think Sony wouldve blackballed them after that.

The likely outcome regarding Xbox API’s, there will be improvements, but the ‘scalable’ nature of the API’s ranging from Xbox One VCR to XsX to PC means they will always remain at a generic level without fully tapping into each platform.

Yes also because this kind of bottlenecks exists in all the systems, so the third parties cannot make all the optimizations
they will do in order to reduce it as the first party do for one system, so the delta in TF between both consoles should
be more visible in the third parties because we just saw with Demons Souls what a game make only for PS5 in its first day can do.

kyliethicc

Regardless of whatever is going on with XSX and its dev tools, one thing is becoming clear: The PS5 is shaping up to consistently hit its targeted performance (dynamic 4k/60, RT 4k/30, DRS/120), just like how PS4 hit its targeted 1080/30 pretty consistently.
and so this is the issue for xbox sx - the PS4 Pro was made for sub-native 4K gaming, using upscaling etc

So there were natural steps up in resolution for the One X (a more powerful system), if PS4 Pro was 1440p or 1800p, One X could go to 1800p or 2160p etc.

PS5 is made for 2160p, just like PS4 was made for 1080p. Even IF (and it might not be able to) but if the Xbox could hit a higher res, what res over 2160p could they use? It doesn't work or matter. Diminishing returns on pixels.

The jump up to 1800p from 1440p works because both are sub-2160p, the native UHD TV 's resolution. Doesn't work the same going over the resolution of the common TVs.

Its as if in 2013 Sony built a 1080p console and then Xbox was capable of 1200p... would anyone with a 1080p TV care? No. And the devs will just go with the same res/fps on both. And so there goes the supposed "advantage" in graphics power.

Not to mention these consoles are much much closer in power than PS4 Pro was to One X.

JonkyDonk

and so this is the issue for xbox sx - the PS4 Pro was made for sub-native 4K gaming, using upscaling etc

So there were natural steps up in resolution for the One X (a more powerful system), if PS4 Pro was 1440p or 1800p, One X could go to 1800p or 2160p etc.

PS5 is made for 2160p, just like PS4 was made for 1080p. Even IF (and it might not be able to) but if the Xbox could hit a higher res, what res over 2160p could they use? It doesn't work or matter. Diminishing returns on pixels.

The jump up to 1800p from 1440p works because both are sub-2160p, the native UHD TV 's resolution. Doesn't work the same going over the resolution of the common TVs.

Its as if in 2013 Sony built a 1080p console and then Xbox was capable of 1200p... would anyone with a 1080p TV care? No. And the devs will just go with the same res/fps on both. And so there goes the supposed "advantage" in graphics power.

Not to mention these consoles are much much closer in power than PS4 Pro was to One X.
True, and on top of that, resolution is fast becoming less and less important. Games will look really really good this gen, and 60 fps will become a standard. The actual differences will come from the other features and services of the platforms, just as some developers were predicting many months ago.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Still waiting for 19 release of PS5 here.... but from what i`ve been reading/seeing.

- Performance is better than expected;
- Dualsense is freaking good;
- Games looks amazing;
- UI is great;
- BC works well and you have 20 free games with PS+.

At this point does it matter which console is the most powerfull?
It's an amazing console. I have been super harsh on Sony's marketing, their cross gen games and what i consider silly approach to go for SSD over tflops, but I am frankly blown away every time I play this thing. I did not get this feeling back when i played PS3 and PS4 the first time. This takes me back to the PS1 days tbh.

Yes, the controller is the best thing about it, but I think Astro bot is the key game here. The fact that its free is very important because everyone will get to play it and it's a masterpiece. It's fun, it's cute, it has some ingenious moments (monkey level and dualsense mechanics) and offers a great distraction from AAA games like Spiderman and Demons.

Spiderman in RT mode is nothing short of spectacular. I did not think a cross gen game would impress me this much visually because last gen none of the cross gen games (AC, BF4, and CoD) did anything for me. But ray tracing really enhances the image quality. I mean the suit fucking reflects. The spiderman logo, his fucking eyes, everything has reflections and it gives every shot in the game depth. They werent lying about crowd sizes and better lighting either. I played Days gone, infamous and ghosts at 60 fps, they are glorious at that framerate but spiderman at 30 fps with ray tracing and what feels like next gen lighting really stands out.

So right off the bat, you have two games that are incredible, but then you play demon Souls which looks absolutely insane and runs at 60 fps and I feel literally overwhelmed. I dont know what to play. I have bought AC Valhalla and its sitting there unwrapped because I dont want to go from a gorgeous looking 30 fps spiderman to Valhalla and Demon Souls and ruin my experience. Then there are all the backward compatible games Sony has made available for free, and it's not just first party games. FF15, BF1, MK10, Crash and several other AAA third party games are on there. It's clearly their answer to gamepass and its quite frankly mind blowing to experience some of these games at 60 fps.

The UI is exciting to play around with. I was looking at quick play cards in Astro bot and it said you can beat your friends score in some kind of speed run. it took me right to that part of the level and then updated the leaderboards. I later received a notification saying someone on my friends list had beaten my score. It's really exciting to find all these random new features (speech to text is amazing!) every time you login.

Pretty much every complaint I had before launch is a distant memory. I love the games. I love the UI. I love the next gen tech like ray tracing and fast loading. I love the controller. It legit reminds me of the early PS1 and PS2 days where I just felt excited to play it everyday. And that to me is PS5's biggest accomplishment... it's managed to transport a jaded 35 year old back to his childhood where everything just felt magical.

The comment in the video reads as follows:
So...at 1440p the frame dips at killscams aren't as bad as playing at 1080p. I even redid the test today at 1080p and got similar results to the first video....this is really odd.

To add, this gameplay has the display settings set to 1440p in the Xbox Series X menu. This isn't saying it runs at 1440p...but it does run better compared to where 1080p is selected.

Really, really weird. Changing the output to 1440p makes the XSX perform better.

Also here's a video with NO bots, a public TDM game. Rock solid 120fps.

Last edited:

Zadom

It's an amazing console. I have been super harsh on Sony's marketing, their cross gen games and what i consider silly approach to go for SSD over tflops, but I am frankly blown away every time I play this thing. I did not get this feeling back when i played PS3 and PS4 the first time. This takes me back to the PS1 days tbh.

Yes, the controller is the best thing about it, but I think Astro bot is the key game here. The fact that its free is very important because everyone will get to play it and it's a masterpiece. It's fun, it's cute, it has some ingenious moments (monkey level and dualsense mechanics) and offers a great distraction from AAA games like Spiderman and Demons.

Spiderman in RT mode is nothing short of spectacular. I did not think a cross gen game would impress me this much visually because last gen none of the cross gen games (AC, BF4, and CoD) did anything for me. But ray tracing really enhances the image quality. I mean the suit fucking reflects. The spiderman logo, his fucking eyes, everything has reflections and it gives every shot in the game depth. They werent lying about crowd sizes and better lighting either. I played Days gone, infamous and ghosts at 60 fps, they are glorious at that framerate but spiderman at 30 fps with ray tracing and what feels like next gen lighting really stands out.

So right off the bat, you have two games that are incredible, but then you play demon Souls which looks absolutely insane and runs at 60 fps and I feel literally overwhelmed. I dont know what to play. I have bought AC Valhalla and its sitting there unwrapped because I dont want to go from a gorgeous looking 30 fps spiderman to Valhalla and Demon Souls and ruin my experience. Then there are all the backward compatible games Sony has made available for free, and it's not just first party games. FF15, BF1, MK10, Crash and several other AAA third party games are on there. It's clearly their answer to gamepass and its quite frankly mind blowing to experience some of these games at 60 fps.

The UI is exciting to play around with. I was looking at quick play cards in Astro bot and it said you can beat your friends score in some kind of speed run. it took me right to that part of the level and then updated the leaderboards. I later received a notification saying someone on my friends list had beaten my score. It's really exciting to find all these random new features (speech to text is amazing!) every time you login.

Pretty much every complaint I had before launch is a distant memory. I love the games. I love the UI. I love the next gen tech like ray tracing and fast loading. I love the controller. It legit reminds me of the early PS1 and PS2 days where I just felt excited to play it everyday. And that to me is PS5's biggest accomplishment... it's managed to transport a jaded 35 year old back to his childhood where everything just felt magical.
I agree with you completely. And I said in the past that I consider you pretty hard to please so it carries extra weight to hear your positive take.

oldergamer

That makes no sense. Each firmware for each xbox platform is not generic. You're essentially making a bs argument that xb one is holding back optimization of series x. This isnt a thing.

Xbox released firmware and dev kits later then sony. The tools arent as mature. This happens each generation and improves over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom