• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok, just tested my Astro A40 through the DualSense with Spider-Man MM, and I can confirm that it supports 3D Audio 100%. But last time I tested it on Genshin it sounded just like 2.0 Channel (which is perfect for true HRTF-based 3D Audio anyway).

Tried the Pulse 3D through DualSense while it's shut down using 3.5 aux cable, and again the Pulse 3D supports 3D Audio on Spider-Man MM even wired (same as A40). Pulse 3D has cleaner/better clarity, cleaner bass, and slightly more volume than Astro A40. If you play a game that doesn't support 3D Audio, I think the system will recreate that 7.1 channel audio into 3D space as tested on Genshin, so Astro A40 works perfectly as well through the DualSense. As tested turning off 3D audio while using Pulse 3D wirelessly found that 7.1 channel support kicked in and kept that surround feel going but feels less precise.

I think Sony fixed the problem with the muffled sound that I checked Astro's Playroom again and sounds good now.

Pulse 3D vs Astro A40: Slightly higher volume, noticeably better clarity, and cleaner bass on Pulse 3D (A40 already has bad bass). But if you already have Astro A40 I'm more than sure you'll be very happy with it plugged into the controller. There are many versions of A40 as it seems, but this is mine, not sure what version but bought it in 2018 IIRC:

81rfq4VWSgL._SL1500_.jpg

I have the mixamp, but it's useless now nor I'm interested in using it.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

So do I have this right... Assassin's Creed Valhalla now runs worse on PS5 to the point of 40fps in some cases, and better on XSX following an update. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

timmyp53

Holy crap... the lighting in Miles Morales is damn amazing. I wish I had a capture card that could depict how damn good miles and the red and black roxxon troopers look in this base mission. The way shadows fall and the way the lights accurately hit objects and materials is a huge next gen leap.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Ok, just tested my Astro A40 through the DualSense with Spider-Man MM, and I can confirm that it supports 3D Audio 100%. But last time I tested it on Genshin it sounded just like 2.0 Channel (which is perfect for true HRTF-based 3D Audio anyway).

Tried the Pulse 3D through DualSense while it's shut down using 3.5 aux cable, and again the Pulse 3D supports 3D Audio on Spider-Man MM even wired (same as A40). Pulse 3D has cleaner/better clarity, cleaner bass, and slightly more volume than Astro A40. If you play a game that doesn't support 3D Audio, I think the system will recreate that 7.1 channel audio into 3D space as tested on Genshin, so Astro A40 works perfectly as well through the DualSense. As tested turning off 3D audio while using Pulse 3D wirelessly and 7.1 channel support kicked in and kept that surround feel going but feels less precise.

I think Sony fixed the problem with the muffled sound now that I checked Astro's Playroom again and sounds good now.

Pulse 3D vs Astro A40: Slightly higher volume, noticeably better clarity, and cleaner bass on Pulse 3D (A40 already has bad bass). But if you already have Astro A40 I'm more than sure you'll be very happy with it plugged into the controller. There are many versions of A40 as it seems, but this is mine, not sure what version but bought it in 2018 IIRC:

81rfq4VWSgL._SL1500_.jpg

I have the mixamp, but it's useless now nor I'm interested in using it.

Um, where do you enable/disable the 3D audio?

Its just a small issue where some receivers can't process and pass through to TVs a compressed 4K 120 signal. Thats why the Xbox doesn't work, it uses DSC (compression) at FRL 4K@120 4:4:4 RGB to fit into the 40 Gb/s bandwidth.

PS5 doesn't use DSC, it just goes down to 422 YUV for FRL 4K@120 and problem solved.
Can someone translate for humans with lesser cognitive functions?
I mean, it's not like I didn't understand, it's for... others. Lot of others.

Last edited:
I was under the impression the xsx is now stuck at 30fps, so...
Both PS5 and XSX always had just one default mode which was 4K60fps with DRS. This new patch basically gives you two options to choose from, either DRS 4K60fps or native 4K30withprobablysome fine tuned effects across Series X and PS5. Also Series S has received a 60fps mode too(probably running at dynamic 572p-1080p

mitchman

Gold Member
Its just a small issue where some receivers can't process and pass through to TVs a compressed 4K 120 signal. Thats why the Xbox doesn't work, it uses DSC (compression) at FRL 4K@120 4:4:4 RGB to fit into the 40 Gb/s bandwidth.

PS5 doesn't use DSC, it just goes down to 422 YUV for FRL 4K@120 and problem solved.
I wonder if Sony did it just because of this receiver bug, to reduce the customer support and make it easier for users to use the PS5.

kyliethicc

Can someone translate for humans with lesser cognitive functions?
I mean, it's not like I didn't understand, it's for... others. Lot of others.
Basically if you want the best 4K @ 120 FPS gaming possible ... and you have:

1. a HDMI 2.1 TV that can do 4K 120
2. and a PS5 or Xbox SX
3. and want to use a 5.1/7.1 surround sound setup

then just plug the console directly into the TV w/ HDMI, and then connect the receiver to the TV with a second cable using the ARC port on the TV.

kyliethicc

I wonder if Sony did it just because of this receiver bug, to reduce the customer support and make it easier for users to use the PS5.
I wonder. VRR uses some of the max 48 Gb/s HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. So for now, Sony is only using 32 Gb/s and no VRR, but they are not using DSC (compression.)

Sony seem to be waiting for HDMI Forum Official VRR to be finalized before putting it on their X900H TV and the PS5.

Xbox is capping their HDMI 2.1 port at 40 Gb/s at the hardware level, so it can't change. So they use DSC to fit everything into the limited 40 Gb/s bandwidth while running 4K HDR10 video at 120 Hz. It just cannot output 12 bit color.

Sony is letting the PS5 output 12 bit color at 4K 120, just using YUV 422 instead of RGB. This is another way to save on HDMI bandwidth, cuz 422 uses less data than 444.

Maybe they will unlock the HDMI port to 40 or 48 Gb/s and add VRR, while keeping uncompressed 12 bpc options, just letting users choose to drop down to 422 at 4K 120 HDR if they need to fit all the data in the 40 or 48 Gb/s of bandwidth.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Basically if you want the best 4K @ 120 FPS gaming possible ... and you have:

1. a HDMI 2.1 TV that can do 4K 120
2. and a PS5 or Xbox SX
3. and want to use a 5.1/7.1 surround sound setup

then just plug the console directly into the TV w/ HDMI, and then connect the receiver to the TV with a second cable using the ARC port on the TV.
Hey wait a minute are you telling me that I can plug my cnosole one one HDMI of the TV and use the HDMI ARC to send signals to my amplifier?
Because that would simplify my connectics a lot.

Dibils2k

yeah to me 4:4:4 is essential, yes ingame you might not notice it easily but alot of time with a game is spent in UI where there is alot of text and colored text too and some of them just straight look ugly with compression (especially red text)

one of the reasons i am not a huge fan of HDR is how bad text looks cause it cant get 444 on HDMI2.0

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Hey wait a minute are you telling me that I can plug my cnosole one one HDMI of the TV and use the HDMI ARC to send signals to my amplifier?
Because that would simplify my connectics a lot.
Yeah thats what ARC is for.

Plug your inputs (consoles etc) into your TV directly with HDMI cables, then use another HDMI cable to connect your surround receiver (or soundbar) to your TV using the HDMI port marked Audio Return Channel (ARC/eARC).

You don't have to connect every input into the receiver anymore if you have a TV with an ARC port.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

PS5 is pushing 12-bit in both, 4:4:4 HDR 12-bit 60Hz and 4:2:2 HDR 12-bit 120Hz (but LG CX for some reason acknowledges it as 8-bit) according to Vincent on HDTVtest.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah thats what ARC is for.

Plug your inputs (consoles etc) into your TV directly with HDMI cables, then use another HDMI cable to connect your surround receiver (or soundbar) to your TV using the HDMI port marked Audio Return Channel (ARC/eARC).

You don't have to connect every input into the receiver anymore if you have a TV with an ARC port.
Thanks man I just checked and now I know why I never used it, my amplifier doesn't have an HDMI in ....I really need to change it but first I'm gonna need a new TV.

kyliethicc

PS5 is pushing 12-bit in both, 4:4:4 HDR 12-bit 60Hz and 4:2:2 HDR 12-bit 120Hz (but LG CX for some reason acknowledges it as 8-bit) according to Vincent on HDTVtest.
Yup. Hopefully Sony will allow for full 48 Gb/s in the future, letting users output the full 4K 120 Hz HDR 12 bit 444 RGB.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yup. Hopefully Sony will allow for full 48 Gb/s in the future, letting users output the full 4K 120 Hz HDR 12 bit 444 RGB.

Not just that, even on HDMI 2.0 (current tv I have, Sony XD70 "2016") it drops to 4:2:2 at 4K@60Hz HDR which seems as well favoring 12-bit over chroma, while my tv can do 10-bit 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I wonder. VRR uses some of the max 48 Gb/s HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. So for now, Sony is only using 32 Gb/s and no VRR, but they are not using DSC (compression.)

Sony seem to be waiting for HDMI Forum Official VRR to be finalized before putting it on their X900H TV and the PS5.

Xbox is capping their HDMI 2.1 port at 40 Gb/s at the hardware level, so it can't change. So they use DSC to fit everything into the limited 40 Gb/s bandwidth while running 4K HDR10 video at 120 Hz. It just cannot output 12 bit color.

Sony is letting the PS5 output 12 bit color at 4K 120, just using YUV 422 instead of RGB. This is another way to save on HDMI bandwidth, cuz 422 uses less data than 444.

Maybe they will unlock the HDMI port to 40 or 48 Gb/s and add VRR, while keeping uncompressed 12 bpc options, just letting users choose to drop down to 422 at 4K 120 HDR if they need to fit all the data in the 40 or 48 Gb/s of bandwidth.
Perhaps. I've heard that out of hundreds of modes for HDMI 2.1 on that Panasonic chip, only 4 modes are buggy. Stear clear of them, using an option or automatic, and they should be fine to be used for 2.1 sources.

kyliethicc

Thanks man I just checked and now I know why I never used it, my amplifier doesn't have an HDMI in ....I really need to change it but first I'm gonna need a new TV.
Just check to see if your receiver looks any thing like this, if it says ARC on one of the ports on your amp and also on your TV, you're good.

X1PcKBr.jpg

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Not just that, even on HDMI 2.0 (current tv I have, Sony XD70 "2016") it drops to 4:2:2 at 4K@60Hz HDR which seems as well favoring 12-bit over chroma, while my tv can do 10-bit 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.
I think thats because HDMI 2.0 can only do 4K HDR10 @60 Hz with 4:2:2 YUV. Thats what PS4 Pro did too. I don't think HDMI 2.0 can do full 4K 60 Hz RGB 444 with HDR10 video, only SDR 8 bit. With 10 bit color in HDR, it has to drop to 422 YUV.

vkbest

So do I have this right... Assassin's Creed Valhalla now runs worse on PS5 to the point of 40fps in some cases, and better on XSX following an update. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Some people in Internet says this is fixed if you delete the game and download (or install again). Could be a conflict with cache files.

sinnergy

But doesn’t my point still stand ? If you put the Xbox in 4:2:2 it’s not compressing , 4:4:4 ... it’s manually in 4:2:2?

saintjules

Tiptop10

Neo Member
So this PS5 coil whine issue, I imagine it will be a waste of time to return as:
A) it's a design issue, likely will take months to be purged from production line
B) will take ages to get replacement due to stock issues.

I think I have the issue but for me it's not terribly loud, just noticeably in a dead silent room.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hope those who celebrated it had a great and safe Thanksgiving.

As this thread draws to a close wanted to say thanks to the mods who tried to keep this thread civil

Enjoyed chatting with many of you guys but as we pack up and head to Florida for the next 3 months or so I wont be posting and I am sure this thread will be closed by then.

I look forward to the PS5 Pro/Xbox Series X One X Super speculation thread which should pop up around E3 2022 ;)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not that, also RTX 3090 is using full chroma RGB 4:4:4 and works fine but capped at 40Gbps and 10-bit due to the bandwidth limitation of the AV receiver of 40Gbps (RTX 3090 has full 48Gbps). He explained it here that Xbox is sending compressed data vs uncompressed: (timestamped)

Vincent is the top TV expert you find now on youtube, so it's hard to question his results as he actually doesn't really care much about gaming in general but riding the bandwagon lately and to answer raised questions in his channel.

Yeah, watched this video last night. The issue in the certain chip that is used in those 3 receiver brands, comes down to needing an uncompressed signal.

Vincent identified that the XSX sends a compressed signal compared to the uncompressed in the PS5 and 3090.

Did he also say that may not be fixable in a firmware update and is hard designed in the chip, or did I misunderstand that portion?

Posted already?

"The reasons behind this are two-fold. It costs AMD less to produce the Zen 2 dies compared to the newer Zen 3 dies, and the total revenue margins from the consoles as indicated in the last earnings report is also somewhat higher. This is partly because there’s no Infinity Cache (SRAM) on the consoles (which is pricey) and secondly, the overall market for the consoles is much larger than the DIY PC space, promising higher revenue. "

This part leaves me perplexed, in the sense that he talks about zen 2 and zen 3, then refers to the infinite cache which is obviously not present in the consoles APUs but no longer also in the zen 3 CPU, no relation. .

saintjules

So this PS5 coil whine issue, I imagine it will be a waste of time to return as:
A) it's a design issue, likely will take months to be purged from production line
B) will take ages to get replacement due to stock issues.

I think I have the issue but for me it's not terribly loud, just noticeably in a dead silent room.

I haven't had the coil whine issue, but I was hearing that depends on the game you're playing and something about reaching certain frequencies? I'm not too tech savvy on that/

Regarding B, people have been able to get boxes from Sony and get a replacement in a quick turnaround. Supposedly I saw one person on Reddit stating that Sony sent the replacement as the defective unit was on it's way to their Facility.

Jerm411

Finally picked up my PS5 and games from Best Buy this morning...had to go in because curbside was borked. Of course they didn’t have a bag big enough for it....

Had 3 people try to buy it off of me before I could even get back to my car LOL.

The thirst is real and it’s nuts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom