• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's what i don't understand i thought they went into console production many months ago, i remember the phil spencer quote back then. What have they been doing, why has sone got so many more consoles available.
i heard the same. i guess i will never trust the Chinese sources anymore. or maybe Spencer took all the units home and bricked them till AMD fixed the design:messenger_grimmacing_

THE:MILKMAN

that's what i don't understand i thought they went into console production many months ago, i remember the phil spencer quote back then. What have they been doing, why has sone got so many more consoles available.

I was saying in another thread that the vague statement from Phil in that The Verge interview about starting production in late Summer is just PR (for whatever reasons). We know people received XSX that were made in July. You don't just switch the production line on and chuck out a couple of million consoles. If consumers got QA passed units made in July then it makes sense production ramped from a late May/early June start.

ethomaz

Banned
I was saying in another thread that the vague statement from Phil in that The Verge interview about starting production in late Summer is just PR (for whatever reasons). We know people received XSX that were made in July. You don't just switch the production line on and chuck out a couple of million consoles. If consumers got QA passed units made in July then it makes sense production ramped from a late May/early June start.
What the guy asking Phil expected to hear? Phil will say anything that make him or the Verge readers happy.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

What the guy asking Phil expected to hear? Phil will say anything that make him or the Verge readers happy.

Which is why it is hard not to think PR or pre-emptive sales damage control from the interview. The problem has been Sony haven't said a peep about sales themselves. Apart from a periodic Jim Ryan interview, Sony have zero PR and no apparent team now. Gone full Nintendo faceless company!

kyliethicc

I see, I wonder how likely it is a game will hit the 10gb mark, I guess not very
nah it'd be possible.

Give a game dev 13 GB of RAM. Why not let them use as much as they want of that 13 GB as they can for each frame?

If the entire 16 GB in the XSX was @ 560 GB/s, then theoretically a dev could use all of the 13 GB RAM they want for whatever they want.

Putting a bandwidth split divides RAM into 2 pools, which is almost like a cap on RAM. A potential bottleneck.

ethomaz

Banned
Which is why it is hard not to think PR or pre-emptive sales damage control from the interview. The problem has been Sony haven't said a peep about sales themselves. Apart from a periodic Jim Ryan interview, Sony have zero PR and no apparent team now. Gone full Nintendo faceless company!
I expect Sony to release data this week...

The first official data for PS4 was posted in the first week of December.

Last edited:
There is no

Sorry but this is fake. There is no way Sony shipped a million units to Europe with only a 132k sold in america? Also If sony had 2 million units there would be a lot more supply.
VGchartz is FAKE. They make numbers up.
Was the week when the release happened in Europe so yes is possible also we didn't see many PS5 availability in America in the same week.

VGchartz is not 100% accurate but is enough to give us an idea.

SSfox

It definitely looks like it's going to be a great game, but certainly not as revolutionary of a game as it was made out to be.

Who cares if it's gonna be revolutionary? games like GOW or Uncharted aren't much revolutionary, and it didn't prevent them to be some of the best games ever

inflation

Some interesting findings about the "media player" on PS5. If you put the video under the same file structure as captured ones, then you can open it in Media Gallery. I tested some files and codecs:

1. For video codec, AVC and VP9 both work since they are the capture format. Also, HEVC works as UHD Bluray standard.
2. For audio codec, AAC and Opus are tested. I guess they are Youtube shipment format so they are supported.
3. For container, MP4 and WebM are there. Surprisingly, MKV works! I know webm is a subset of the mkv standard but still a good news for anyone doing ripping.

Who cares if it's gonna be revolutionary? games like GOW or Uncharted aren't much revolutionary, and it didn't prevent them to be some of the best games ever
You might've misunderstood me a bit. I didn't imply that it's going to be bad. As a matter of fact, it looks pretty good and I'm certain it'll accomplish what it's trying to achieve, setting the player free in a far future dystopian city and giving them a proper taste of what well developed rpg with cybernetic customisation looks like. I think it'll achieve that without problem. However, I don't think it'll be the revolutionary rpg that some youtube influencers are trying to push it as. It'll still be great though, that's for sure.

PaintTinJr

Look down...those fluffy things above the ship on PS5 version are called clouds. Clouds have this amazing ability to obscure stars. Or we can go with you logic and say the XSX couldn’t render the clouds. 🙄
In the interest of showing we aren't discounting things the XsX can probably use its additional CUs for. I very much doubt the engine cinematics are cache bottlenecked - like the performance modes imply in the gameplay- and IIRC Blackrock studios did a paper on Irradiance volumes (or might have been a different lighting paper) they used in Split/Second on PS3 using the vector units of the SPUs to provide enhanced lighting at little memory cost.

From that cinematic comparison shot, I suspect the PS5 isn't rendering all of those stars - although it might be and could be the reason for graphical issues in cinematics - but is providing more clouds(using the extra ROPs) and the XsX is using the extra CUs for those additional stars - because the workload is pre-determined and that probably helps reduce the cache bandwidth bottlenecks issues caused by random cache use in gameplay - but probably lacks the rasterization bandwidth for the extra cloud coverage that is missing.

On Demand

Banned
That was not actual sales data... it was a estimate of "over a million" in 24 hours.

Actual sales data were give in December the first time.

PR:

Sounded like official numbers to me

In December Sony then gave an update to include Europe.

In either case, Sony did announce sales data a few days after launch. This time with PS5 I guess they’re waiting to announce world wide numbers since they broke records and passed PS4 sales.

ethomaz

Banned
Sounded like official numbers to me

In December Sony then gave an update to include Europe.

In either case, Sony did announce sales data a few days after launch. This time with PS5 I guess they’re waiting to announce world wide numbers since they broke records and passed PS4 sales.
That is no concrete numbers...

It just like that:

Now they will give us real numbers.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So where did the 1 million data come from then?
How much? Over a million? 2 milions? 3 millions?
Can you give me the numbers please?

I suppose over one million means between 1,000,001 and 1,999,999?

BTW no site give us the actual quote because it was not an official Sony PR... it was a tweet:

Just like.

They confirmed officially the sales (2.1m) in early December: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/news/20131203E.pdf

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Holy shit! So this is saying worldwide that PS5 has already sold more than 4x as much as Xbox Series S and X together? Unreal! And this is just the first few weeks? Wow.... I'm telling you...if that is the trend for this generation, MS will get out of hardware and market game pass everywhere. We shall see....

Sinthor

Gold Member
There is no

Sorry but this is fake. There is no way Sony shipped a million units to Europe with only a 132k sold in america? Also If sony had 2 million units there would be a lot more supply.
VGchartz is FAKE. They make numbers up.
They're not fake. They get their numbers from legit sources in the industry. They can be inaccurate though. I think these numbers are from retailers only (which is all they can report from) and doesn't include Sony direct pre-orders. That's probably where the bulk of the US sales were, for example. We'll see how this continues, but their numbers for last gen are pretty accurate as well...you can go and see the number of each system sold and they match up. So we may not like what their numbers say, but they're not "fake."

assurdum

Banned
No, the memory is unified and BOTH, the CPU and the GPU are able to access the full 16GB of the memory, no matter if fast or slow.

The thing is, that the GPU needs higher bandwith than the CPU (on PC the CPU ram is way slower than on consoles), therefore as a dev you will try to keep the GPU specific stuff in the fast area and the mostly CPU stuff in the slower part. Stuff which both access (there are reasons why you want to have unified memory) you try to keep in the fast area as well.
The RAM is using the same lanes in the computer, so you access either the slow part or the fast part of the memory, not both at once. You can read this as accesses to the slow memory slows down access to memory overall...
But the problem still remains. When CPU access to the bandwidth, GPU can't access to the full 560 GBs and we can't pretend CPU doesn't use the bandwidth when GPU needs of full 560 GBs. This thing is a bottlenecks and will stay forever in the hardware. Unfortunately. To fill 52 CUs constantly and give worthy performance is already troubling, developers not will needs of further complication like this. And virtualization is another big unknown for the effective hardware performance achievable.
All considered is not that surprising see what we seen in the first multiplat. Sure, things will improve but I'm not entirely convinced series X will overtake easily such boundaries to reach significant leap in performance. But obviously I could be wrong

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It come from a non official claim from Shu's twitter.

Sony Corp. said on Sunday it had sold 1 million units of its new PlayStation 4 gaming console in the first 24 hours that it was available in the United States and Canada.
TOKYO, November 17, 2013 -
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.
Xbox One did 909K in NA in 9 days.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
How much? Over a million? 2 milions? 3 millions?
Can you give me the numbers please?

I suppose over one million means between 1,000,001 and 1,999,999?

BTW no site give us the actual quote because it was not an official Sony PR... it was a tweet:

Just like.

They confirmed officially the sales (2.1m) in early December: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/news/20131203E.pdf

what are you on about? You just proved my point with Shuhei’s tweet. Sony gave sales data a few days after PS4 launched.

How is that comparable to now with Sony only saying the biggest launch?

Not that it matters anyway like I said PS5 beat the PS4 record and they probably want to announce the big sales data at the same time this time around.

nah it'd be possible.

Give a game dev 13 GB of RAM. Why not let them use as much as they want of that 13 GB as they can for each frame?

If the entire 16 GB in the XSX was @ 560 GB/s, then theoretically a dev could use all of the 13 GB RAM they want for whatever they want.

Putting a bandwidth split divides RAM into 2 pools, which is almost like a cap on RAM. A potential bottleneck.

In fact, yes it could be a bottleneck when you run a game that could use more than 10GB of ram, but for a fixe hardware such as a game console, if from start you fixe this 10GB limit, it shouldn't be the case : the game engine juste need to be simply set to run with respect to this quantity of ram.
And, you need also to think about that most of the GPU on PCs have less than this 10GB. When you see that an rtx 3800 is sold with 10GB...

Last edited:

roops67

Finally, the HDR setting on PS5 explained.

15 clicks brighter from the darkest setting is just under 1000 nits. 18 clicks is 1500 nits. Good stuff.

I love Vincent, can't ever get enough of his dry sense of humour...
" The symbol's brightness should be less than the pink line on your mistress's pregnancy test, you know, when you're not absolutely convinced... I'm not talking from personal experience here " :messenger_grinning_sweat:

He always catches you out cos he comes over as a serious reviewer calibrator, and then he will drop in a crude dick comparison analogy, the contrast is surreal at times :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Mahavastu

But the problem still remains. When CPU access to the bandwidth, GPU can't access to the full 560 GBs and we can't pretend CPU doesn't use the bandwidth when GPU needs of full 560 GBs. This thing is a bottlenecks and will stay forever in the hardware.
You pretty much complain that if the CPU access the memory, the GPU can not. You have the same "problem" on the PS5.
If you take into account that the GPU uses more bandwith (reads more often from RAM then the CPU) in average the "real" memory bandwith should be higher on the XSX then on the PS5

All considered is not that surprising see what we seen in the first multiplat. Sure, things will improve but I'm not entirely convinced series X will overtake easily such boundaries to reach significant leap in performance. But obviously I could be wrong
currently the "common wisdom" here is, that the PS5 has a better cache system leading to more cache hits then on the XSX. If true this leads to better use of the memory bandwith (you need to load less data from the RAM, such the accesses you do need have more bandwith for themself and are faster), leading to better performance.
I doubt it is the "slow" memory.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

In fact, yes it could be a bottleneck when you run a game that could use more than 10GB of ram, but for a fixe hardware such as a game console, if from start you fixe this 10GB limit, it shouldn't be the case : the game engine juste need to be simply set to run with respect to this quantity of ram.
And, you need also to think about that most of the GPU on PCs have less than this 10GB. When you see that an rtx 3800 is sold with 10GB...
PC VRAM is not the same. PCs have an extra 16 GB or so of DDR4. And many people believe the Nvidia cards only have 8 & 10 GB of VRAM is not enough, greedy Nvidia just cheaped out to make margins (and cause they'll sell anyway.) AMD gave their cards 16 GB. And Nvidia are about to launch a 20 GB 3080 too (for a much higher price of course.) Plus consoles have to last longer than PC GPUs, which can be replaced much faster (1-2 years and Nvidia will launch new cards.)

The issue for the XSX is that the PS5 has unified bandwidth. Devs have more flexibility in using the 1 unified RAM pool. And the PS5 is the lead dev platform for many /most 3rd party games. So they will have to do special coding around the XSX/S split pools of RAM with higher/lower bandwidth. The limited 10 GB of "GPU Optimal RAM" doesn't exist on PS5, and that could be an issue for 3rd party game devs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can we talk about the weird pedophiliac undertones in bug snax?

Once again, I can't make the thread. But this is clearly thread worthy. Unacceptable Sony would commission this

i see nothing pedo here or inappropriate.

most pixar movies and disney cartoons have humor just for adults. go back and watch them and see how many sexual undertones are in those cartoons for kids.

You pretty much complain that if the CPU access the memory, the GPU can not. You have the same "problem" on the PS5.
If you take into account that the GPU uses more bandwith (reads more often from RAM then the CPU) in average the "real" memory bandwith should be higher on the XSX then on the PS5

currently the "common wisdom" here is, that the PS5 has a better cache system leading to more cache hits then on the XSX. If true this leads to better use of the memory bandwith (you need to load less data from the RAM, such the accesses you do need have more bandwith for themself and are faster), leading to better performance.
I doubt it is the "slow" memory.
The PS5's GPU cache scrubbers allow for data to be imported and exported much faster than Series X. Big efficiency gains while saving on memory bandwidth. When you combine that with PS5's high clocks, this is what explains PS5 matching or outperforming Series X. Higher clocks means many aspects of the GPU run faster, but if you don't have a fine-grain way of dealing with data, you're still dealing with the same old stalling issues and the cache scrubbers are there to deal with that. A strange thing for so many to ignore. It's literally on the GPU from The Road to PS5 video. I'm sure there are other elements as well like unified L3 cache on the CPU, which I suspect is true. Lots of pieces to the puzzle but people want to focus on singular elements as it relates to PC builds. Sony has taken great advantage of having a closed system. Focus on latency bottlenecks across the board.

kyliethicc

I don't think thats true.

The issue with the XSX is the memory chips are interleaved unevenly, so the full 320 bit bus width is not always being used. So the 16 GB is essentially split into 10 and 6 GB pools with different speeds.

So the CPU and GPU can access both pools at once, but under some circumstances it will be with a penalty to bandwidth that is unique to the XSX. The data the CPU/GPU will need must be put into RAM in the correct physical chips due their setup in order to use the split bandwidth correctly.

PS5 has the more conventional console setup of 1 fully unified pool of memory all with full bandwidth, and all the chips are interleaved evenly across the full 256 bit interface, so there is no "correct" way to distribute data across the physical RAM chips for whatever the CPU or GPU needs, unlike XSX.

huraga

Banned
What I do not quite understand is because many people reach these conclusions for 4 games where ps5 wins very slightly in some cases and we still have 1 month of generation. Nobody has thought that programmers have something to do with their old generation graphics engines. No, it has to be that the Xbox Series X is poorly designed and the PS5 has magical I / O.

Nobody has thought that perhaps the base platform is the ps5 since it has more users and that it is possible that this helps you have better optimization. It would make lot of sense, mostly with the differences about the memory.

Nobody has thought that with the new engines perhaps they take advantage of the Series X more and can considerably improve its performance.

Nobody has thought that perhaps in Series X they are using a new API shared with the PC and that perhaps this makes it more difficult to optimize the console at the moment.

No, many people have thought that both AMD and Microsoft have made a design mistake with the Xbox as there are bottlenecks. Therefore, if in a forum of amateur people they have discovered the Xbox Series X design error then it is because the engineers of Xbox and AMD are useless.

It takes years to make and design a console with large teams and many engineers working on it. But here in just a few months everyone knows that Xbox performs a little less in those games because it has bottlenecks.

Mahavastu

I don't think thats true.

The issue with the XSX is the memory chips are interleaved unevenly, so the full 320 bit bus width is not always being used. So the 16 GB is essentially split into 10 and 6 GB pools with different speeds.

So the CPU and GPU can access both pools at once, but under some circumstances it will be with a penalty to bandwidth that is unique to the XSX. The data the CPU/GPU will need must be put into RAM in the correct physical chips due their setup in order to use the split bandwidth correctly.
No, the lanes from APU to the RAM are shared. This means when you access the RAM you can either access the memory with 320bit (fast ram) or with 192 bit (slow ram). It is only one of both at the same time.
The difference in bits is because some RAM chips are 2GB and some are 1GB, but this are the same RAM chips accessed over the same memory lanes.

On the Playstation you can access all RAM with 256 bit, so it is slower then the 320bit RAM of the XSX and faster then the 192bit, since both consoles have the same clock of the RAM.

kyliethicc

No, the lanes from APU to the RAM are shared. This means when you access the RAM you can either access the memory with 320bit (fast ram) or with 192 bit (slow ram). It is only one of both at the same time.
The difference in bits is because some RAM chips are 2GB and some are 1GB, but this are the same RAM chips accessed over the same memory lanes.

On the Playstation you can access all RAM with 256 bit, so it is slower then the 320bit RAM of the XSX and faster then the 192bit, since both consoles have the same clock of the RAM.
I know all of that, and of course the entire SoC shares the same memory phys. But that doesn't mean the CPU and GPU can't access data from memory at the same time.

Last edited:
Holy shit! So this is saying worldwide that PS5 has already sold more than 4x as much as Xbox Series S and X together? Unreal! And this is just the first few weeks? Wow.... I'm telling you...if that is the trend for this generation, MS will get out of hardware and market game pass everywhere. We shall see....

The gaming market is big enough for MS to still be able to market and sell a console but they will never outsell Sony in the console space again.....

Even through game pass is a great deal they need more hit exclusive titles for it to last long term, This gen will be a very interesting one

Sinthor

Gold Member

Once again, I can't make the thread. But this is clearly thread worthy. Unacceptable Sony would commission this

I'm missing any 'pedi' type reference here? I get where you're going with "inappropriate" but bottom line, cartoons, kids movies, etc. have had plenty of adult humor in them for DECADES. Stuff that kids don't (hopefully) get and is in there FOR the adults. So I get where you're coming from but I think that's a matter of parenting for each family and what's acceptable for each. Because overall, that ship has sailed- MANY years ago. I think we're about to see games start REALLY addressing adult content myself. Things like CyberPunk 2077 letting you supposedly customize the size of your junk...I mean...what's that FOR anyway? I think we're going to start seeing more and more of that in the coming next few years. Buckle up! In the end, some will enjoy that and for others, they won't and/or it will present more parenting challenges for them to address. Really, the only truly "kid friendly" platform right now is Nintendo and.....weren't there some references in the last Zelda game that could be considered adult? I thought I remember reading about that. Plus you have actual peso's trying to groom children via Animal Crossing... It's just the world we live in today, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The Microsoft management have very much tied the XBox brand in with American culture, whether on purpose or by accident. This has had a marked effect on international sales over the years. It’s likely to negatively impact sales of the Series X more than previous consoles.
Apple is also tied to American culture. Seems to be working out okay for them.

I find the bad VO the most offensive part of that.

Larvana

Uhh getting a bit over yourself with that one, lol. I'm telling you... MS will still be in this wherever you like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom