• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Just adding this here though in no way do I believe it.

PS5 over 12tf
Xbox premium over 11tf

PS5 blowing us away. Seems way more advanced than Xbox even the upper end model. Reveal June 3 for PS5.

At least this one makes a claim we can soon falsify or not. June 3 or it's fake

Ar¢tos

Sony seems to be trying unconventional ways to "announce" things.
So look for subtle things out of place like:
- hobo in the background of a news report holding a cardboard sign with ps5 specs
- paper on the bedside table, in Winona Ryder "leaked" sex tape, with ps5 official price and release date written.

Or they might just do a stealth blog post with all the info to catch us by surprise.

If you're not going to be at E3, then why not show your cards after MS does? Create your event as a counter to MS, being that time is on your side and you're not going to be at E3.
Last time they revealed their specs and what next gen games looked like on the system before Microsoft did, but the actual details on pricing, DRM and Plus requirement later. It worked wonders last time, so I don't see any reason not to do the same thing again.

Well because it is easier to reach high clocks with lower SPs :D

For example the same Arch can reach 2Ghz in clock with 40CUs but it won't pass 1.7Ghz with 64CUs (numbers from my ass just to exemplifique).

BTW 50CUs at 2000Mhz give you 12.8TFs :p

no console will trade lower CU counts for higher clocks [because you'll get in energy inefficient territory on the frequency / voltage curve] as long as it wont result in prohibatly huge die sizes. which - considering a max of 64CUs - is no problem at all on 7nm

Last edited:

xool

Chances of next gen MS console announce at E3 ? must be 90%+ right

[edit - I mean some specs, price, and hopefully a box]

Last edited:

HoldTheAir

Honestly, I could see Sony announcing or teasing the PS5 before E3. Why would they let Microsoft steal the show without putting up some sort of fight? Either way, I'm pumped for Microsoft's E3 Briefing. Can't wait to see that they have to present!

CyberPanda

Banned
Just adding this here though in no way do I believe it.

PS5 over 12tf
Xbox premium over 11tf

PS5 blowing us away. Seems way more advanced than Xbox even the upper end model. Reveal June 3 for PS5.

From that one quote in there, he’s also said this in the past:
Here is another piece of info. We actually have a team of five engineers directly from MS helping us get up and running with the anaconda devkit. They are providing lots of support. Sony has been great at support to but it's remote support. MS actually sent a team. I've talked to a few friends at different studios who have told me they have a MS team there too or scheduled to come in the near future.

Also, don't believe any MS e3 rumors. I've been trying for weeks to get details from others in the industry and they have their conference locked down tight. No one is saying a damn thing.
I don't have physical access to the devkits. I'm but a lowly environment artist working on a non-nextgen project. What I said earlier was what I have heard from the team who working on our nextgen projects. I'll try to get some specs though. Anything specific you want? Pretty sure I won't get all of them though. Literally everyone in studio have had to sign multiple NDAs for sony and ms.

Pretty sure I can get ram but i'll try for this too. Don't expect anything though. I'm sure the thread will get archived/pruned before I hear anything.

The controller we have is basically the ds4. I've seen it but not used it. Same thing with scarlett controller. Basically, just a normal x1 controller.

This is an interesting comment. Right now both devkits support ray tracing. Obvious performance hit though. From what I've heard, it's not something ms is really pushing but sony is wanting devs to include it. MS is actually wanting more focus to be placed on 4k 60fps or 30fps if necessary.
Lol 4chan.

SonGoku

BC native with Boost Mode is easy, very easy, cheaper, no hard work is done at all.
This is what i meant for PS4 BC on PS5 to be similar to how MS handles boost mode on the X for unpatched xbone games.
The X boost mode is superior to the Pro, and would like PS5 to handle boost mode for PS4 games similarly to how the X does it.

Would it be possible to use Pro patched games as the base for PS5 BC, that way PS5 boost mode could render at 4k (dynamic rez titles) and provide smooth locked 30/60 fps and 16AF?

thelastword

Banned
Honestly, I could see Sony announcing or teasing the PS5 before E3. Why would they let Microsoft steal the show without putting up some sort of fight? Either way, I'm pumped for Microsoft's E3 Briefing. Can't wait to see that they have to present!
Sony's console lands in 2020, they have said something, MS has not. MS has to reveal something and I think they will at E3..... Sony can wait to reveal PS5 as late as E3 2020.......And I think they should, where they can announce the most powerful box they can muster for November 2020...

I think MS may go for a full reveal this E3 and launch XB2 before PS5....... They will try to get Halo Infinite and a new Forza Motorsports ready, I think FM8 will be an XB2 title, hence why it's cooking much longer...... Maybe a new Fable by the Horizon team will be another of their XB2 titles .... I'm guessing that's where they're heading and the games they will show at this E3.

I think MS will jump into the water first a la Xbox 360.....Then they may try to do an XB2Pro after 3 years.....

xool

Is that good?

[register reuse cache]

Almost certainly .. it's like having a little cup of peanuts near your mouth to put peanuts in. You've still got a bowl of peanuts on the table but the cup is nearer your mouth. Also nobody else is allowed to touch the cup. But they can touch the bowl. The cup only holds 4 peanuts though.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

- hobo in the background of a news report holding a cardboard sign with ps5 specs
- paper on the bedside table, in Winona Ryder "leaked" sex tape, with ps5 official price and release date written.

Or they might just do a stealth blog post with all the info to catch us by surprise.
Great post. I think this should be added to OP, SonGoku SonGoku , people should be aware of this!

ethomaz

Banned
This is what i meant for PS4 BC on PS5 to be similar to how MS handles boost mode on the X for unpatched xbone games.
The X boost mode is superior to the Pro, and would like PS5 to handle boost mode for PS4 games similarly to how the X does it.

Would it be possible to use Pro patched games as the base for PS5 BC, that way PS5 boost mode could render at 4k (dynamic rez titles) and provide smooth locked 30/60 fps and 16AF?
In PC you can force somethings via driver like AA, AF, etc... so I'm sure you can force better AA, AF, etc with a stronger hardware like X does (AA is a bit complicated because the result could be disastrous).

Now fps and res all depends if they are unlocked/dynamic... if the game was coded locked I don't think you will see it go over that framerate no matter how stronger the hardware is.

TLZ

Banned

Sounds like a game Kojima would make.

SonGoku

This?

I was thinking of the increased performance per watt and arch advancements in general, but VRS will be HUGE too if it makes it to navi (i bet it makes it to ps5).

SonGoku

In PC you can force somethings via driver like AA, AF, etc... so I'm sure you can force better AA, AF, etc with a stronger hardware like X does (AA is a bit complicated because the result could be disastrous).

Now fps and res all depends if they are unlocked/dynamic... if the game was coded locked I don't think you will see it go over that framerate no matter how stronger the hardware is.
Yes i meant AF only like the X does it for unpatched games.
It would be ideal to have Pro patched games as the base for BC, then those games that feature dynamic rez can hit 4K and those with fluctuating 30fps can hit a locked 30 fps (or unlocked 60 fps games hitting locked 60)

So at the bare minimum can we expect at least Pro level settings for Pro patched PS4 games, that's my hope at least.

Last edited:
Sony's console lands in 2020, they have said something, MS has not. MS has to reveal something and I think they will at E3..... Sony can wait to reveal PS5 as late as E3 2020.......And I think they should, where they can announce the most powerful box they can muster for November 2020...

I think MS may go for a full reveal this E3 and launch XB2 before PS5....... They will try to get Halo Infinite and a new Forza Motorsports ready, I think FM8 will be an XB2 title, hence why it's cooking much longer...... Maybe a new Fable by the Horizon team will be another of their XB2 titles .... I'm guessing that's where they're heading and the games they will show at this E3.

I think MS will jump into the water first a la Xbox 360.....Then they may try to do an XB2Pro after 3 years.....
I think you are right avout the reveal, except they won't show the design.

thelastword

Banned
Y
While I call that bullshit too it makes sense for a early 2020 release.

Plus remember Sony is not attending E3 so a big event to reveal PS5 days before the event is GOD level.
You could forget that such a reveal will be this year. Sony is about revealing release dates for Lou 2, Tsushima, Dreams, Death Stranding and whatever other titles they have cooking for this gen...... Inclusive of that is their revised and rumored PS4 hardware...... That will be their focus and nothing else.....

Despite all the fever for next gen, this gen is not close to being done, relative to quality titles and persons buying hardware.... Sony will double down on a reduced price PS4/PRO system this holiday, people will buy them in droves as there's still many people who will buy PS4 at the $179-199 range....... They have nothing to lose.... Sony will rack up PSN subs...... These new PS owners have no worries, they will buy as many games as they can on their new PS4's, because PS5 will be backwards compatible... A genius move to tell them that so early, that's strategy right there.......PS4 owners are guaranteed they won't be left out, they can upgrade to PS5 2 to 3 years after it launches and play all their titles, it's a win for them and for Sony. It locks and secures them in the ecosystem....

This announcement in Wired was not so much about PS5 but about establishing continuity and momentum for PS4...... I think you will see that Sony's focus is still PS4 this year...... They don't need to combat MS with semantics and a PS5 reveal this year, they only need to combat MS with games when it launches.... And of course, games for both PS4 and PS5 is brewing. So everybody in the ecosystem wins.

I do agree with you "IF" they know the PS5 is more powerful.
What if the latest leaks are true and PS5 has more teraflops but Anaconda performs better? It would make sense in that case to reveal their specs first and let Microsoft try to explain later why their console is supposedly better while having less teraflops. I'm sure that's going to be tough for Microsoft given that last gen they said the same and it wasn't true.

Dlacy13g

Chances of next gen MS console announce at E3 ? must be 90%+ right

[edit - I mean some specs, price, and hopefully a box]

100% chance that MS announces the next console... I would also say 90% chance it follows how they handled Scorpio announcement. That means 0% chance you get a box and price. At best you will get some specs for the machine. MS learned some hard lessons with the original Xbox One reveal and I don't see them fully showing their hand prior to next E3 assuming the launch of the next console is holiday 2020.

Last edited:

xool

100% chance that MS announces the next console... I would also say 90% chance it follows how they handled Scorpio announcement. That means 0% chance you get a box and price. At best you will get some specs for the machine. MS learned some hard lessons with the original Xbox One reveal and I don't see them fully showing their hand prior to next E3 assuming the launch of the next console is holiday 2020.

Yeah so we get a name, probably a "coming Q1 2020" or similar .. I think they need to give a little more - maybe some vague numbers - I'd expect them to say "8 core Zen 2" and some performance number

Radeon's Maxwell sauce
That part went over my head earlier, if Navi is as big a jump as Maxwell was over Kepler it will be huge.

Maxwell secret sauce = https://www.techpowerup.com/231129/on-nvidias-tile-based-rendering

Ever wondered why 2080 Ti punches above its weight (616 GB/s vs 1024 GB/s) when it comes to traditional 3D rasterization?

Now you know why. AMD desperately needs this...

Vega doesn't have it enabled for some reason:

This is why people say Nvidia flops are superior. Navi will hopefully close this gap.

I believe this rumor, yet, it's nothing new..... It's what I've been saying all this time. When folk were comparing Vega CU's to Navi CU's, I shook my head, I constantly told them they should not do that. Navi has many more instructions per CU, the whole CU structure was redesigned and beefed up considerably for Navi.

It will take you much less CU's on Navi to get similar performance or more against Vega, and by extension, Pascal and Turing.....It's the same way people are thinking 7nm Vega can be compared to Navi built on 7nm, it's just not how you go about analyzing future technology.
DzbKXF2VAAA25lv.png

I think this has to do with INT4/INT8 acceleration, which has limited scope in video games.

It could be useful for AI/deep learning:

Last edited:
Ever wondered why 2080 Ti punches above its weight (616 GB/s vs 1024 GB/s) when it comes to traditional 3D rasterization?

The 20180Ti isn't punching above it's weight class. The 2080Ti is the one in the higher weight class. It's got more SP's, more TMU's more ROP's AND it clocks higher. ( It also costs twice as much ).

The Radeon 7 having more bandwidth doesn't mean it's more powerful, it just means it has more bandwidth. Having more bandwidth won't give you a higher frame rate. But not having enough of it will definitely reduce it.

The 20180Ti isn't punching above it's weight class. The 2080Ti is the one in the higher weight class. It's got more SP's, more TMU's more ROP's AND it clocks higher. ( It also costs twice as much ).

The Radeon 7 having more bandwidth doesn't mean it's more powerful, it just means it has more bandwidth. Having more bandwidth won't give you a higher frame rate. But not having enough of it will definitely reduce it.
They're equal compute-wise (13.45 TF vs 13.44 TF) in case you didn't notice. Look it up.

I'm pretty sure Radeon VII is faster in heavy compute workloads due to its higher memory bandwidth. It's a card made for productivity/mining and less about 3D graphics.

3D graphics require clever tricks like tiled rasterization and rely much less on raw power. GCN GPUs have raw power, but they lack clever tricks (they're getting better though with every iteration).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom