• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonGoku

Yea. MS is just playing cute and staying in hardware just not to piss off their current fan base. Once Gamepass and everything gets geared up, they are going to pull the rug from underneath their fans.
I don't think they'll dump local hw, its practical to have a base spec to develop games around. Even Stadia has a fixed spec.

Imtjnotu

Yea. MS is just playing cute and staying in hardware just not to piss off their current fan base. Once Gamepass and everything gets geared up, they are going to pull the rug from underneath their fans.

Of course. These companies always sell hardware at a loss first, but majority of their money does come from subscribers and what not.
PS4 and xbone were sold at a profit from day one

CyberPanda

Banned

bdb1324

Neo Member
Gaf I noticed alot of high profile games coming out March -May 2020. Sony games as well. Anyone still on the spring 2020 ps5 hype with a PSX still coming.

Imtjnotu

Naw. Even xbox sold at a loss. Games, subscriptions, and so on are the money makers.
That article was two months before ps4 launched

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/report-399-playstation-4-costs-about-381-to-build/ according to this ps4 was in fact not sold at a loss

CyberPanda

Banned
That article was two months before ps4 launched

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/report-399-playstation-4-costs-about-381-to-build/ according to this ps4 was in fact not sold at a loss

What isn't factored into the teardown cost are research and development, advertising, and shipping costs associated with the console, all of which are likely more than sufficient to eat up the remaining margin. Bear in mind that this is all based on guesswork, however—IHS may be in the ballpark, but the actual cost to Sony will differ depending on the component deals the company has managed to cut.

That Sony is making little (or perhaps even losing a little) on each PlayStation 4 sold comes as no surprise.

Last edited:
In a closed box though? Sure it will, dev support is more of a problem on PC.

See Asynchronous compute, devs dragged their feet on PC for a while but being a closed box and every millisecond of processing counting on consoles, many more took advantage of that

Edit: Oh, I see you probably meant the next gen console launch will drive it

yeah just not seeing many developers use this kind optimization for that little share of the customer market. maybe some sponsored titels where AMDs field engineers will help out.

with next gen launching wave32 code will carry over to the pc space. first in AAA 3rd party games and as adoption rate of the console grows more and more in lower budget productions.
therefore i think rDNA will age much better than polaris and vega did. the lack of RT in rDNA 1.0 is a bummer though.

stetiger

Are you sure? then why MS joined the 360 slim CPU/GPU on the same die later on for costs reductions?
Why did the PS4/XB go with a monolithic design?

If yields are not the best it might be more expensive early on but as yields improve that brings costs reductions and even more cost reduction with a die shrink (6nm)
Long term it will be cheaper
I edited point 1 messed up earlier
main-qimg-9aec7d30e3fe369140d478a840622c4f

APUs are close to the second wafer. Now if you have chiplets instead you are producing a whole lot more. The limitation with die size is yield thus cost. That is the limiting factor in producing 150million chips over 7years and counting

SonGoku

APUs are close to the second wafer. Now if you have chiplets instead you are producing a whole lot more. The limitation with die size is yield thus cost. That is the limiting factor in producing 150million chips over 7years and counting
Nvidia's GPUs are nearing 800mm2 lol
Short term a monolithic design will be more expensive but long term (what matters for consoles) cheaper due to improved yields and further node shrinks

Last edited:

llien

Why'd you quote me, "real world benchmarks", and leave out the word "comprehensive"?

What AMD showed is far from comprehensive. It's the exact opposite, and should be when marketing a new product.

Computerbase tests only a handful of games.
But when hardware unboxed goes rampage and tests 35 games, they get the same results.

Call it 'indicative" not "comprehensive".

Lort

Banned
Sony should just give up their hardware was beaten by original xbox, xbox 360 and xbox one x and likely again by next gen xbox. 3/4 releases they failed in hardware design... what Sony does well is single player narrative games and so they should focus on that and release for all devices.

Microsoft releases the best PC devices and the best consoles hardware wise and only Microsoft is in place to challenge the big players Google, Apple and AWS.

Sony really should just give the gamers what they want the games on devices they want such as mobile.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Sony should just give up their hardware was beaten by original xbox, xbox 360 and xbox one x and likely again by next gen xbox. 3/4 releases they failed in hardware design... what Sony does well is single player narrative games and so they should focus on that and release for all devices.

Wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Much harder to develop for, sure, but more powerful?

Ar¢tos

Microsoft releases the best PC devices and the best consoles hardware wise and only Microsoft is in place to challenge the big players Google, Apple and AWS.

Sony really should just give the gamers what they want the games on devices they want such as mobile.
And yet, MS trails behind every generation...
Maybe that means that games sell more than power?

Farrell55

Banned
So Hello together

After i put a bunch of Time in Research
And personal experience ( i am a Gamer from early 90s) here are my final Prediction for both sony&ms (im not pro sony or pro ms!!!)

Microsoft Lockhart

Amd zen2 cpu 8c/16t @3.2ghz
12TF amd next gen navi rdna2 gpu
16gb gddr6, 256bit 14gbps 448 gb/s BW
Hardware Raytracing
1Tb SSD 2+gb/s
Improved VC cooling System
299$

Sony ps5

Amd zen2 cpu 8c/16t 2.8-3.2 ghz
8-10TF amd navi rdna1
12gb gddr6, 384bit 12gbps, 576 gb/s BW
Sony custom Hardware Raytracing
Sony custom ssd 256gb @ 4+gb/s
1Tb Hdd
Better cooling solution like the OG ps3
399$

Microsoft Anaconda

Amd zen2 custom 12c/36t (3way smt) @3.8 ghz
Amd navi next gen rdna2 @24Tf (allready confirmed by Ms)
24gb gddr6, 384bit bus 18gbps chips, 864 gb/s BW
Hardware Raytracing
2tb ssd @2+ gb/s
High end VC cooling
499$

demigod

So Hello together

And personal experience ( i am a Gamer from early 90s) here are my final Prediction for both sony&ms (im not pro sony or pro ms!!!)

Microsoft Lockhart

Hardware Raytracing
1Tb SSD 2+gb/s
299$

Sony ps5

8-10TF amd navi rdna1
1Tb Hdd
399$

Microsoft Anaconda

Hardware Raytracing
2tb ssd @2+ gb/s
High end VC cooling
499$

Your PS5 TF is too high, drop it to 8TF only.

Ar¢tos

So Hello together

Microsoft Lockhart

Hardware Raytracing
1Tb SSD 2+gb/s
299$

Sony ps5

8-10TF amd navi rdna1
1Tb Hdd
399$

Microsoft Anaconda

Hardware Raytracing
2tb ssd @2+ gb/s
High end VC cooling
499$

The idea of 24tf in a console is hilarious...
The idea of 24tf + 2tb ssd for 499$ is even more hilarious!

Aceofspades

Banned
So Hello together

Microsoft Lockhart

Hardware Raytracing
1Tb SSD 2+gb/s
299$

Sony ps5

8-10TF amd navi rdna1
1Tb Hdd
399$

Microsoft Anaconda

Hardware Raytracing
2tb ssd @2+ gb/s
High end VC cooling
499$

I think you overestimated PS5 power, and underestimated Anaconda because Arthur Gies told me that Ana is Zen3 + post RDNA 52TF beast that eats monster for breakfast. otherwise pretty close prediction 👍

TLZ

Banned

tenor.gif

Lort

Banned
And yet, MS trails behind every generation...
Maybe that means that games sell more than power?

So Sony should keep to what its best at doing, making games and stop limiting themselves to just 10% of the gaming market.

https://www.mobvista.com/en/blog/mo...aming-combined-still-growing-always-changing/

Imagine how good Sony games would be on the xbox one x, or the original xbox, or the 360 ( rather than spending years working around crippling design choices on the ps3).

Evilms

Banned
Im a bit confused about your second sentence and the 2.4 times GPU leap. Does this mean if a ps5 launched with 12 TF of power it would be equivalent to a 28.8 teraflop ps4? 12 x 2.4 = 28.8. That seems to be extremely powerful I’m sure I am misunderstanding

Navi-Gains.jpg

The PS4 Pro is 4.2 Tflops but it's still Polaris/GCN2.0
The Xbox One X is 6.0 Tflops in Polaris/GCN2.0 too

The RX Vega 64 is 12.6 Tflops but it's GCN5.0

The RX 5700 XT is 9.75 Tflops with new Navi/RDNA.

we all know from the amd slides that RDNA is 1.25 times more efficient than GCN (Vega).

small_rdna-die-size.jpg

And Navi's 9.75 TF are 14% more efficient than Vega's 12.6 TF. This gives us a 145% higher performance Navi in terflops.

So it's simple if the PS5/Scarlett are 12 Tflops consoles it gives us approximately 2.4 times more power than the X.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Navi-Gains.jpg

The PS4 Pro is 4.2 Tflops but it's still Polaris/GCN2.0
The Xbox One X is 6.0 Tflops in Polaris/GCN2.0 too

The RX Vega 64 is 12.6 Tflops but it's GCN5.0

The RX 5700 XT is 9.75 Tflops with new Navi/RDNA.

we all know from the amd slides that RDNA is 1.25 times more efficient than GCN (Vega).

small_rdna-die-size.jpg

And Navi's 9.75 TF are 14% more efficient than Vega's 12.6 TF. This gives us a 145% higher performance Navi in terflops.

So it's simple if the PS5/Scarlett are 12 Tflops consoles it gives us approximately 2.4 times more power than the X.

This is basically what has me believing that Lockheart has already been abandoned. In the light of such improved performance efficiency it would no longer be needed.

I know it sounds like a stretch but this is why I think there may be more than one Anaconda. And that Anaconda 2 is the "4x the power of the OneX" device Microsoft is referring to. This of course assuming MS still wants to continue with their two console strategy.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So Hello together

Microsoft Lockhart

Hardware Raytracing
1Tb SSD 2+gb/s
299$

Sony ps5

8-10TF amd navi rdna1
1Tb Hdd
399$

Microsoft Anaconda

Hardware Raytracing
2tb ssd @2+ gb/s
High end VC cooling
499$

This was cute  (pause, no %om% 😭🤣)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Chiplet is actually a cheap bandaid while AMD didn't find a solution to easy shrink their IO controller... it is works better for Servers due scalability.
Even AMD doesn't plan to use it forever (to be fair they can't use).

A bit more about chiplet design: https://www.extremetech.com/computi...both-solution-and-symptom-to-a-larger-problem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom