• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhat

Im guessing $120-130 for a 350mm2 APU.
Also the prices in the chart are list prices I'm assuming - AMD has been willing to supply APUs for consoles at very thin margins this gen, I don't see why that wouldn't continue. And I expect Sony to sell PS5s at loss initially. Not PS3 levels of loss, but still some.

SonGoku

Also the prices in the chart are list prices I'm assuming - AMD has been willing to supply APUs for consoles at very thin margins this gen, I don't see why that wouldn't continue. And I expect Sony to sell PS5s at loss initially. Not PS3 levels of loss, but still some.
I just adjusted to the 7nm tax (new nodes tend to be a little more expensive early on)
Remember people saying we would never get a $300 CPU on a console? That and an RTX 2080/1080 Ti contender will be very appealing...
Indeed, even i started settling with slighty better Vega64 performance and was worried the GPU jump might not be enough for a next gen leap and 4Kish rendering, but AMDs 1.25x IPC claims and RDNA changed everything. The RTX2080 levels of performance suddenly got a lot more realistic.

Aceofspades

Banned
Im excited about the CPU, GPU upgrades but mostly SSD implementation. Having said that, I feel that Raytracing application for next gen will be limited, people should temper their expectations in that area.

also GPU differences between PS5 and Anaconda will be so small we might end up with two identical boxes (although one of them is loading games faster+VR ready...idk which one 🤔)

Braldryr

Banned
Sony will sell at lost. Happen with PS4, will happen with PS5.

Microsoft and Sony are both selling at a loss. The only one who does not sell at a loss is Nintendo as far as I am concerned correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I seem to recall a quote along the lines that they needed a year of PS+ or a single AAA game to break even, so ~$60 or thereabouts.
They didnt take a loss on BOM but factoring in retailers cut, packaging and transportation they probably took a small hit that they recouped as you said.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Microsoft and Sony are both selling at a loss. The only one who does not sell at a loss is Nintendo as far as I am concerned correct me if I am wrong.

which pastebin did you get that from? or maybe it was on 4chan.

Calm down.
I haven’t seen this rumour posted yet.

i say any "leaker" that knows full specs, clocks, and price for a console coming out in 1,5years is most likely fake. especially if it comes from a pastebin.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, i think this time they'd be willing undercut BOM by ~$50 at retail if need be.

Not to mention, rumor has it that the PS4 will go on the same wafer process, and that’ll help lower the costs as well as drive more profit even with a price cut.

It is going to still be selling along side the PS5 in the same ecosystem.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They really couldn’t afford to take a great loss when PS4 first released.

Also the strong Yen was against them, it's weaker now which is an advantage selling to other countries

chart

Evilms

Banned

At the same time there is a huge gap between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft hardware.

Nintendo since the DS opts for outdated and inexpensive components, minimum investment for maximum profitability is the new company's philosphy. it makes sense that they don't sell at a loss.

Fake

Still PS4 3 tittles to release as those slides tell. Probably Cross-Gen, but still PS4 is a part of Sony bussiness for more years.

SonGoku

So on a lighter note:

Youtubers really are bottom of the barrel when it comes to leaks, they just regurgitate shit they read online and pass it as anonymoose sources
Got links for his unlisted video for the lulz
so chart is wrong. but wow a relative small boost and its 40watts more.
Thats what happens when you hit diminishing returns (clock past the perf/watt sweet spot) you get relatively small gains for considerable increase in power consumption.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony will sell at lost. Happen with PS4, will happen with PS5.

They gained profit almost immediately after ps4 launch. They didn't want to commit same mistake they did with ps3 where they took a huge loss. However I agree, with how strong their subscription profit and software profit is they will definitely take a loss (just not ps3 caliber) to give us some great tech at an affordable price. Ppl so stuck up Micros ass with them saying thy want to keep power advantage they think thts a given and if history has shown us it is not. Sony definitely trying to also claim tht power advantage and I won't be surprised at all if they do.

Last edited:

SonGoku

For reference
Prior BoM "losses" estimates*
Xbox: No data available.
Xbox 360: $125-$252 per unit ($525 - $552 BoM / $299 No HDD / $399 HDD)
Xbox One: $33 per unit (457 + $75 Kinect BoM / $499)
Xbox One X: None ($442 BoM / $499)

PlayStation: $130 per unit ($430 BoM / $299)
PlayStation 2: $179 per unit ($479 BoM / $299)
PlayStation 3: $305 per unit ($805 BoM / $499 20GB HDD / $599 60GB HDD)
PlayStation 4: None ($381 BoM / $399)
PlayStation 4 Pro: None ($318 BoM / $399)
Adjusted to inflation
  • PlayStation: $130 per unit $216.85
  • PlayStation 2: $179 per unit $262.74
Note: This doesn't include retailers cut, transportation, packaging and other hidden costs*

Last edited:

McHuj

A year of hyping complete fanfiction "leaks" about Ryzen 3000 is what I gather

I vote they go on the banned sources list, why even bother with him now

I’ve never liked the banned sources list. I’d prefer if there was a “reputablilty” index instead. He’d have a a score of zero, but it wouldn’t create this mystique of a banned site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom