• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
654-CDA91-AB65-4184-94-AF-8-AC1-D8333-B80.png

4-EB2071-D-3-BE1-4-F2-C-A60-F-3-E9392-CF4-F42.png

8-A43-CDAD-7-D6-B-4995-8041-01-B7630933-DC.png

That isn't true. "cboat" leaked MS's entire E3 one year, and it was dead on.

Last edited:

Munki

He is just seeking attention like usual... well most youtubers and tweeters like that.
Seems like a thing of that generation... my nephews love that thing to make Lives on YouTube to everything lol
That is fine too... it is just a bit weird for my generation (36 years old here).

You're a young grasshopper (I'm 40).

joe_zazen

We already know for the most part since ps3 days Sony first parties basically pass the graphics benchmark on consoles back to each other and will be no different during PS5 days, with games looking insane. Remember when ppl couldn't believe Uncharted 2 live demo? Or when Killzone 2/3 came out graphically slaughtering the other fps games last Gen. Tlou, God of War etc. This gen even The new Infamous Second Son still looks better than alot of games coming out. Idk about on other consoles but I know first party Sony games on PS5 with or without Ray tracing will look a generation ahead. History has shown no different

And the graphics march will continue until we start seeing players with ptsd from TLOU V, then, just maybe, sony devs will will start using the power for gameplay and open worlds.
half joking

joe_zazen

He is just seeking attention like usual... well most youtubers and tweeters like that.
Seems like a thing of that generation... my nephews love that thing to make Lives on YouTube to everything lol
That is fine too... it is just a bit weird for my generation (36 years old here).

It is so weird to hear 3/4 elementary kids say they want to be youtubbers when they grow up instead of astronaut or firefighter or alan greenspan.

Last edited:

Munki

I was just going through my watched list and stumbled upon this old ass one Jan. 23, 2019. Keep in mind that this was way before the PS5 WIRED article, so before anybody even considered the next gen console including an SSD/Raytracing.

Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019

Details:

CPU: Custom 8 cores / 16 Threads Zen 2 CPU
GPU: Custom NAVI @12+ teraflops
Memory: 16GB GDDR6
Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD @ 1+GB/s
DirectX Raytracing + MS AI

To all the technically savvy ones in here... Knowing what we know now, is this more or less believable.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Disagree.
PS4 > PC graphically when it comes to exclusives.

Days Gone is the best looking Unreal Engine game ever for example.

PC has nothing on it.

There were several Sony exclusives last and this gen sites like DF, lens of truth, etc gave the nod to over most exclusives on PC. When uncharted 2 came out it was the pinaccle in graphics of the industry, killzone 2/3 they use to compare to cysis all the time which says alot. I just bypass bozo, troll comments.

Says
There were several Sony exclusives last and this gen sites like DF, lens of truth, etc gave the nod to over most exclusives on PC. When uncharted 2 came out it was the pinaccle in graphics of the industry, killzone 2/3 they use to compare to cysis all the time which says alot. I just bypass bozo, troll comments.
MWAHAHAHA. LOL
Horizon Zero Dawn
There is no PC game that even comes 10% close.
Disagree.
PS4 > PC graphically when it comes to exclusives.

Days Gone is the best looking Unreal Engine game ever for example.

PC has nothing on it.

These games are creative in their own right and look great, but inherantly this is untrue. Exclusives or not, the PC always has the best version of any game.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Says

These games are creative in their own right and look great, but inherantly this is untrue. Exclusives or not, the PC always has the best version of any game.

Best version of any game? Please show me the best version of the following MLB the Show, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted and Killzone.

Lets cut the bs, we all know if your one of the top 10% lol pc elitist with ultra Uber, double cross fire Titan you can play your game at 8k and at 140 fps graphics, its not just about that.

Again I guess sites like DF, Defunct len's of Truth, etc were all lying when comparing back then and at times giving the nod to Sony exclusives.

I feel you playboy 😁

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
I cant remember any bullshot or downgrade this gen from Sony. They have been pretty honest this gen. In fact GoW and U4 ended look better than the trailers in some aspects.
The Sam pursuit left my jaw dropping until this day.

Lets clear a few things up ..

he was trolling you for overreactive defensiveness and you all just 100% proved him right.

The PC is more powerful than the PS4 .. using good devs, artists and creative coding games on a weaker platform can look better.. this proves nothing about Sony secret sauce and is 100% up to the developer.

Days gone is kinda meh and had many proven downgrades .. horizon zero looks like its screenshots.. so does GOW .. naughty dog games look great but have absolutely been shown bullshots with ridiculous claims that it would be 60 fps.

Xbox games also look great such as Forza horizon or read dead redemption 2.. its not the console or the hardware .. its the developer

If PC people stopped pirating games and all bought decent graphics cards then the best looking games would be PC

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

he was trolling you for overreactive defensiveness and you all just 100% proved him right.

The PC is more powerful than the PS4 .. using good devs, artists and creative coding games on a weaker platform can look better.. this proves nothing about Sony secret sauce and is 100% up to the developer.

Days gone is kinda meh and had many proven downgrades .. horizon zero looks like its screenshots.. so does GOW .. naughty dog games look great but have absolutely been shown bullshots with ridiculous claims that it would be 60 fps.

Xbox games also look great such as Forza horizon or read dead redemption 2.. its not the console or the hardware .. its the developer

If PC people stopped pirating games and all bought decent graphics cards then the best looking games would be PC

It's OK judge and juror we all like to troll too, it makes the day go by. Again talking common sense pc shit. Of course it's a combination of the developer, hardware, budget, etc... Still does not change the fact that Sony has some of the best devs that get the best out their systems to the point of competing and sometimes surpassing games on PC.

But we'll be easy on the trolling for now 😁

Last edited:

Nah, man. Im just chilling here on neogaf while drinking my cofee. Im not defensive at all.

Honestly. Who said Sony has a secret sauce ? I think we all can agree that what make Sony games so good is the time, money and the developers. Of course Xbox games also look great. And guess what ? I think RDR2 on the XOX is one of the best looking game out there.

"The PC is more powerfull that PS4" is something pretty obvious dont you think ?
What is really important is what they can make with the hardware of the console and Sony is good at it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I was just going through my watched list and stumbled upon this old ass one Jan. 23, 2019. Keep in mind that this was way before the PS5 WIRED article, so before anybody even considered the next gen console including an SSD/Raytracing.

Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019

To all the technically savvy ones in here... Knowing what we know now, is this more or less believable.

It’s all plausible but I wouldn’t put any stock in it. Anybody who follows gaming hardware could easily hypothesize those specs.

stetiger

People need to temper their expectations. If the ps4 is 400 we are looking at 11TF at best, > 10.6Tflops most likely, 9TF at the very least (probably not as bad you might think if Navi delivers)

Munki

It’s all plausible but I wouldn’t put any stock in it. Anybody who follows gaming hardware could easily hypothesize those specs.

Its the timing of the “leak”, it seems that these days every second leak has very similar specs but this was way back in Jan. I’m just wondering if that would lend to the leak being true.

Aceofspades

Banned
So, what's new here? New Xbox is still the most powerful next-gen console? :D

Still?
Nobody knows shit about either PS5 or Xbox.

It was hilariously strange that after Wired PS5 reveal, we had multiple MS so called " insiders" claiming that Xbox is stronger than PS5 despite Sony not revealing a single number about their hardware.

Fake

It was hilariously strange that after Wired PS5 reveal, we had multiple MS so called " insiders" claiming that Xbox is stronger than PS5 despite Sony not revealing a single number about their hardware.

psorcerer

Banned
The PC is more powerful than the PS4

Depends. The majority of separate PC parts are more powerful than PS4. But it does not mean that the whole package is more powerful.
So when you design a game architecture around separate parts it will run better on PC, but that does not mean it's the maximum possible performance on that platform.
And most multiplatform games will be designed this way, because building a game for each platform from ground up means you cannot really share things between these builds.
You will need to work around different bottlenecks (every architecture has them) and it's just not feasible.
Pragmatically you will divide your game into a lot of small subsystems where you can tweak knobs and then design these subsystems around the most common denominator (least powerful component from all platforms).
Then you may turn these knobs a little for different platforms.
Obviously this design is very inefficient.

Depends. The majority of separate PC parts are more powerful than PS4. But it does not mean that the whole package is more powerful.
So when you design a game architecture around separate parts it will run better on PC, but that does not mean it's the maximum possible performance on that platform.
And most multiplatform games will be designed this way, because building a game for each platform from ground up means you cannot really share things between these builds.
You will need to work around different bottlenecks (every architecture has them) and it's just not feasible.
Pragmatically you will divide your game into a lot of small subsystems where you can tweak knobs and then design these subsystems around the most common denominator (least powerful component from all platforms).
Then you may turn these knobs a little for different platforms.
Obviously this design is very inefficient.
The PS4 is balanced, but not better than PC by any means. You can try and provide any sort of disbelief/reasoning you want. But the simple fact remains, 100% of multi-platform titles look and perform better on PC. All Xbox exclusive games that are play-anywhere titles on the Xbox Platform are the same way and will continue to be that way unless Xbox truly has some special sauce that can prove otherwise. Chances are, that won’t happen.

joe_zazen

The PS4 is balanced, but not better than PC by any means. You can try and provide any sort of disbelief/reasoning you want. But the simple fact remains, 100% of multi-platform titles look and perform better on PC. All Xbox exclusive games that are play-anywhere titles on the Xbox Platform are the same way and will continue to be that way unless Xbox truly has some special sauce that can prove otherwise. Chances are, that won’t happen.

You do realise there is more than one type of pc right?

I feel like the next-gen game changer/killer app will be the custom SSD subsystem, not the CPU/GPU.

Good luck matching that with a $499 PC. 4 GB/s PCIe 4.0 SSDs will be hella expensive (not to mention overpriced X570 motherboards!), it's crazy that they have to use heatsinks for them.

SonGoku

Radeon VII is 13.4 TF. And I am taking AMD at their word that Navi is a 50% perf/watt improvement over that. Not a 50% improvement over a Radeon VII that has first been downclocked to achieve better perf/watt first. That makes zero sense.
Even at 13.4TF you reach 200W that leaves plenty of room to shave 50W and still comfortably hit 12TF+

demigod

SonGoku

Anyone care to explain why estimated performance around here seems to expect RTX 2080 levels? With 12tf and such a high memory bandwith to me it would go beyond even the 2080ti ... so what did I missed ?
If we take AMD 1.25X IPC claim at face value a 12TF navi card would outperform a RTX2080 but to keep expectations in check and take into account best case scenario used to come up with that figure.
Once again indicating that ~Vega 56-level performance is about the best we can hope for in next gen consoles.
Not really, the first Navi products are low CU counts variants, pushing clocks too far for a performance target thus hitting diminishing returns.
You can get better perf/watt results with more CUs clocked lower. Another point of contention is 1 year from now 7nm yield will allow for better clocks or decreased voltages to reach current clocks

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Even at 13.4TF you reach 200W that leaves plenty of room to shave 50W and still comfortably hit 12TF+
You are talking about a hypothetical PS5 GPU that’s presumably more powerful than the 225 Watt RX 5700 they just announced, but only consuming 150W.

If they had plenty of room they already would’ve done just that. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom